Substory 36 broken?

Zanreo

So I was trying to do substory 36 (the one where you unlock Chau Ka Long's weapon shop) but I can't progress after the "unlocking the shop" part. The guides I've read say I have to buy a weapon - I've done so - and then come back. A video guide I watched also told me to buy a baseball after the weapon (not sure if that only applies in Japanese/Asian versions because none of the text guides I read mentioned that?), so I tried that too... but it still doesn't work. Anything I missed (I see no substory markers on the map) or is it just broken?

...also, does it matter if you equip it right after buying? You'd think it shouldn't, but that's the only thing I can think of... and if so maybe I have to buy another weapon and try again?

Edited by Zanreo

• 2 weeks later...

So did you get the sub-story to "complete" in the end then?

Im asking coz ive just got to this one myself & im having the exact same issue you did.

The only difference with me is that ive maxed out all my personality stats to LV,10 before even attempting this sub-story.

So im confused on how/what to do here to get it to complete?

Im stuck at the point where you talk to the black-haired weapons dealer under the bridge near the gambling den.

Ive bought multiple weapons/battle items but the mission simply will not ding complete!! So frustrating !!  :(

Edited by Duke_Bubblez

I was having the same problem yesterday, I bought the cane weapon, talked to him again but the substory wouldn't complete. I tried leaving the area and buying new items multiple times but nothing worked. Reloaded the save to to when I only bought the cane, talked to him again to see if it will trigger but it didn't. So I went to the sewer mini games and completed the part time hero challenges to get my confidence to lv 7. As I left the sewers, I tried talking to him again and the substory cutscene triggered.

Edited by TheWintendoHii

Huh, I already had confidence 7 when I started the substory but it wouldn't trigger. Only did after I bought all weapons at least 1 time. Every time I bought a weapon I would try to talk to him but nothing happened until I bought the last from the list. (Only bought weapons, no items).

Edited by KYR_M4RC0