Thoughts, Now That It's Out?

DeathlessVoid

I saw in another thread some people cringing at the trailer and such.

I know this is a game more geared toward kids, but it's actually not that bad. Kinda like Pokemon Snap meets Viva Pinata in a way. It's pretty fun, and it's holding my interest more than I thought it would.

That said, it's kind of a weird launch title, and there are a lot of super cringey moments. It doesn't do much to 'wow' me; I wouldnt've paid for it, but I'm not upset it's part of the PS+ lineup this month.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed it, my five year old finally started watching me play it the other night and at first thought it was weird, but last night he heard me playing and came running downstairs to watch. He's getting into it catching bugs and feeding the villagers. It's for sure geared towards kids, but there is some adult humor in there.

I've enjoyed it so far. As someone who is super into Crash, Spyro, Astro Bot, etc. type games, this fits the mold for me perfectly. 

The trophy list is also very friendly and it is a good introduction into the PS5 system for me. I've invested 5-6 hours into it so far and will probably keep going at this point until I finish it. The game I will admit is a bit cringy, and my girlfriend is tired of hearing "BUNGER BUNGER BUNGER" every 5 seconds ?

• Like 3

I didn't pay much attention to it at all before release so wasn't sure what to expect. I'm not really sure how to feel. It's conceptually the perfect game for me, but I also find it not as engaging as I'd like. I don't know, maybe by the time I get the last tool and give it a bit more time to click it'll feel better while playing. I am a bit underwhelmed by the DualSense use in this game, I get it's on PS4 too, but going from Astro to this... it's just kind of pointless.

I'm at least intrigued by the story at least, even if the gameplay is a bit meh for me thus far.

On 16/11/2020 at 4:26 PM, SuperPrimeVol said:

I've enjoyed it, my five year old finally started watching me play it the other night and at first thought it was weird, but last night he heard me playing and came running downstairs to watch. He's getting into it catching bugs and feeding the villagers. It's for sure geared towards kids, but there is some adult humor in there.

I'm not too sure if it's for kids, i watched a review on it saying it's quite dark and about some guys wife leaving her, probably good for kids to look at but not understand the story.

I enjoyed my time playing this game. I like the characters, setting and gameplay. My only criticism is that I wish there were more tools to mess around with. Other than the minor nitpick the game is a surprise hit!

The music is fantastic too! I’m totally adding most of the tracks to my playlist :)

Meh. The game is ok. I'm actually finding it kind of boring. I'm not sure about being geared to kids - certainly it looks like it should be for younger kids, but I think it would be pretty hard for someone under the age of 10 to get very far.

The graphics are ok - I don't see anything particularly next gen here. Certainly I wouldn't look at it and think oh ya, that's a PS5 game.

Astro's was a far more enjoyable game.

• Like 4

Just finished the plat here. It makes a good first impression, with this pervading sense of something being off that really kept me going. Unraveling the mystery and such.

It just goes on too long; it should probably be about 4 hours tops, not 10-12. By that point you’ve met several characters that are difficult to care about, the script has stretched itself a bit thin, and the sheen has long worn off the puzzle-lite bug catching, which repeats itself twice over.

Then the ending happens and...well it’s something. I still think it’s worth checking out if only because there just isn’t anything like this, and the writing is generally good. But I think with more focus this could’ve snuck onto a few end-of-year lists, it’s a slight missed opportunity otherwise. 

Edited by JD-D2
  • Like 2

I really liked the game, but I felt the side quests stretch on just a bit too long, and start to get repetitive - especially if you're a dumbass like me, and do pretty much all of them right at the end of the game. I liked the ending, too, but it could've used more build up to the really big twist once you go into the mountain.

• Like 1

I got the platinum on this game last night. Wasted my entire day to platinum it. (Which that I didn't mind) Personally, though I thought Bugsnax was a rather weak game and I did not enjoy it as much as everyone else.  I personally would given this game a 5 out of 10 just because mechanically the game is quite solid.  Catching the bugs is pretty decent although, it is only until later in the game does the challenge of doing so open up a little more.  The overall story is alright at best; and some of the characters are funny.  What I didn't enjoy however was how characters changed upon feeding them, even though it is related to the story which of course I won't spoil here..  It is just plain weird... I didn't like the concept whatsoever.  For a free game on PS+, it is what it is.  I wouldn't pay more than $15 for this game though...

Edited by shadowTECnology
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, shadowTECnology said:

What I didn't enjoy however was how characters changed upon feeding them, even though it is related to the story which of course I won't spoil here..  It is just plain weird...

Much like someone else who commented here, I felt like the whole game had this air of 'weirdness' to it. I'm not sure if it was intended or not, but something just felt 'off' and odd the entire campaign. It's unsettling as hell, bordering on psychological horror lol. I will say that the end did tie it up into how the changing body parts felt for me. So there's that at least.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, DeathlessVoid said:

Much like someone else who commented here, I felt like the whole game had this air of 'weirdness' to it. I'm not sure if it was intended or not, but something just felt 'off' and odd the entire campaign. It's unsettling as hell, bordering on psychological horror lol. I will say that the end did tie it up into how the changing body parts felt for me. So there's that at least.

I does like like Cronenberg makes Pokemon, there's a lot of body horror vibes in an otherwise innocent game

Started this game without knowing anything about it and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Sure there are cringe moments but it was still worth the playthrough and easy plat. Anyone on the fence of starting it or not should try it out.

A really weird, dark and niche game. I thought it was a decent launch title but not without it's flaws.

None of the characters grew on me, I didn't like how they changed when fed. I'd rather they were just a normal design throughout, saving any changes for the end.

I feel it was the right decision to make it a PS+ and a decent one at that, although I'm not sure who they geared this game towards. Yes it's a PEGI 7 but the story felt too dark to be aimed towards the under 12's idk. It also didn't feel like an "proper game" 

I'd say it fits in the pallet cleanser department. One to play after a strenuous game. I wouldn't play this one again but maybe play a sequel 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2020 at 0:41 AM, shakie19 said:

A really weird, dark and niche game. I thought it was a decent launch title but not without it's flaws.

None of the characters grew on me, I didn't like how they changed when fed. I'd rather they were just a normal design throughout, saving any changes for the end.

i didnt like how they transformed, mainly as they had no hands lol. how did they do anything without fingers, theyre just lumps of strawbs and whatever!

also found it a really dark game aswell, for something thats kinda cute looking with easy-going gameplay (which suits younger players), the story was a bit heavy. though the characters and general themes of it were good to see.

they should totally go all Aliens with a sequel - make it a violent bug-hunting shoot-em-up, much different than the first xD.