Thoughts, Now That It's Out?

DeathlessVoid

I'm almost done with my plat for this game and I've been really enjoying it so far. My biggest reason is that Sony has lacked those "monster hunting" catch em all types, so games like this where I can capture creatures are something I enjoy. Fortunately, as of late there seems to be more games like that coming out (9th Dawn III, monster sanctuary, temtem). The game is just all around silly and ridiculous lol maybe stylized as something that kids could easily get into, but some of the humor is geared towards adults. Games like this and sackboy make sense though (as well as updated versions of fortnite), to make the console enticing to a younger audience too, so it was smart for Sony to offer this on PS Plus. Is it a game changer? No, but its just some silly fun and a real stress free platinum, so it's fine by me.

On 21/11/2020 at 5:50 AM, JD-D2 said:

Just finished the plat here. It makes a good first impression, with this pervading sense of something being off that really kept me going. Unraveling the mystery and such.

It just goes on too long; it should probably be about 4 hours tops, not 10-12. By that point you’ve met several characters that are difficult to care about, the script has stretched itself a bit thin, and the sheen has long worn off the puzzle-lite bug catching, which repeats itself twice over.

Then the ending happens and...well it’s something. I still think it’s worth checking out if only because there just isn’t anything like this, and the writing is generally good. But I think with more focus this could’ve snuck onto a few end-of-year lists, it’s a slight missed opportunity otherwise. 

Completely agree with the playthrough time, it's definitely drawn out by, catch bug, make bug attack bug, catch, repeat isn't it. 

Worth a playthrough though! 

• 3 months later...

Liked the different gameplay approach, but after an hour I'm not sure if I'll put more time into it.

Feels like after an hour I pretty much have already experienced the game because I feel like it's going to be one endless loop (which now I can confirm by reading some others comments above..).

Rather put my time into something much better.