If you buy PS5 game digitally on PS5, would you get also PS4 version?

Voland44

4 minutes ago, Voland44 said:

after all, buying on PS4 will give you two versions - why not to do so for PS5 also?

I guess they could, but why do so?

Because someone who buys the PS5 version digitally doesn't need the PS4 version digitally....who plays the downgraded version? Oh right for trophies...

6 minutes ago, SecondGenesis said:

Honestly, I'm just buying PS4 versions cheap, and getting the PS5 upgrade

For sure, the cheapest way is the best way to go.

It all depends on the game - if the store listing just has the PS5 log then no, you only get the PS4 version. But, if it has both logos then you get both - like how you got Vita, PS3 and PS4 cross-buy titles.

For example, buy Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands 3, or Dirt 5, and you get to download both versions of the game.

However, some games, mainly the ones from 10Tons so far, were listed as a PS4 title but now are re-listed as a PS4 and PS5 version. If you buy those now, you get both versions. If you had bought them previously, you only get the PS4 versions. Then you have games like Chaosbane and Observer which are PS5 only (no PS4 version given to you) because they're technically 'remastered' or include bonus content so the devs aren't offering any upgrade path.

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, turniplord said:

For example, buy Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed, Borderlands 3, or Dirt 5, and you get to download both versions of the game.

now i checked PSN store on browser and looks like they really changed this. cus last when i saw, PS4 and PS5 titles were separate purchasable

though i still doesnt understand about purchase on console's(PS5) store, if its the same way...

Just now, Voland44 said:

now i checked PSN store on browser and looks like they really changed this. cus last when i saw, PS4 and PS5 titles were separate purchasable

though i still doesnt understand about purchase on console's(PS5) store, if its the same way...

They updated things once the PS5 games went on sale last week. For example, Mortal Kombat still shows as PS4 only but as of tomorrow - when the PS5 version launches with the free upgrade - it'll say both PS4 and PS5 on the listing.

The PS5 built-in store is the same as you're buying the same products. Not sure how it's listed on there (as we don't get the console until Thursday) but it should indicate if the game is on both SP4 and PS5 - if it is, you get both versions. 

The only game I can think of where this may be confusing is Call of Duty as that has a PS4 edition, a PS4 and PS5 edition, and a PS5 edition - they're also bringing out an upgrade fee so PS4 owners can upgrade their version to the PS5 one, but I don't think it's out yet. Other than that, the game will either be a PS5 only game or a PS4 and PS5 title with a free upgrade (apart from Control's original version)

9 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

A similar (kinda) question. If you redeem the ps+ collection (20 games or so) on ps5, can you play them on ps4? I'm not planning to get a ps5 but a friend of mine has, so i was wondering if it's possible to get them with my account on his ps5 and then play them on my ps4

i doubt that they gone that far, to block that games for PS4 using. you should try for sure

10 minutes ago, sephiroth4424 said:

A similar (kinda) question. If you redeem the ps+ collection (20 games or so) on ps5, can you play them on ps4? I'm not planning to get a ps5 but a friend of mine has, so i was wondering if it's possible to get them with my account on his ps5 and then play them on my ps4

Yeah, you can.

"GameSpot can confirm, after conducting tests, that once the Collection has been claimed on a PlayStation 5 the games can be played on a PS4. That means that you'll still need to get your hands on a PS5 to access the Collection, but if you've kept your PS4 you can install the games on there afterwards."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps-plus-collection-can-be-played-on-ps4-after-claiming-on-ps5/1100-6484397/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

So do physical versions of a PS4 game give you the upgrade to the PS5 version as long as you play from the disc?

Yeah, that's how it works. When you hover over the game and press the control button, you select "Game version" and choose which version you want to play.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HusKy said:

Is there any point in buying SM:MM PS5 version?

I bought the physical version for PS4 (picking up my PS5 Thursday)
The upgrade is free and the game here is around $10 cheaper than the PS5 version so...

Might keep doing it given that the PS5 game prices hiked, as long as the free upgrade is included

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Anybody know if it works the same way physical? Like, let's say you want to buy a physical PS5 game, do you get the digital PS4 version as well? Trophy purposes, naturally.

No, if you buy the PS5 version you get the PS5 version. I doubt they anticipated anyone wanting to downgrade.

I haven't tested it with that purpose but it doesn't give you any 'free ps4 download' or 'owned' status on PS Store for the last-gen versions.

At least I saw or experienced none for SM:MM or COD:CW.

If you want a double stack and it has a separate trophy list you could technically buy the physical PS4 game and upgrade to PS5 digitally. This way you're paying one full price + ~15% rather than two full prices (or even more since PS5 games are more expensive):

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...