Anyone else starting to feel trophy burnout even from good games?

usapro2017

7 minutes ago, usapro2017 said:

Maybe I just need to play for fun and give trophy hunting a short break. Just beat Ghost of Tsushima and really enjoyed playing through the story. However it’s the same old after story grind of liberate every territory, finding every collectible etc etc (yawn) that’s really starting to feel tedious and way too drawn out.

I guess it’s because I have done the same thing a million times before in other open world games like Mad Max, Shadow Of Mordor, GTA, Assassin’s Creed series, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, God Of War.

1. So is anyone else feeling trophy burnout at all even in good games?
We always hear stories of people getting burnout playing countless stacks of easy 10-30 minute plats just to stay high up on the leaderboard but what about burnout from even good games?

2. Have you ever played a game where you really enjoyed playing through the story but just decided you couldn’t be bothered to go for the 100% to get all the trophies? 

I don’t think I’m experiencing burnout from playing games but just the trophy hunting aspect of certain games.
Especially open world games where it feels there is so much after story padding shoved in.

Yes. Ive been playing alot of enjoyable games lately and im in the same boat as you. Even though the games are great to play, im starting to feel a bit burned out. Its perfectly normal, like with every other hobby, no matter how much you enjoy something, at some point you just want a break from it all. 

Dont worry too much about it. You could pick out a game you REALLY want to play, put the trophies aside and just enjoy it. (Only note down the missables if you want, depending on the game). See if that helps you enjoy the game youre playing more. ?

15 minutes ago, usapro2017 said:

Maybe I just need to play for fun and give trophy hunting a short break. Just beat Ghost of Tsushima and really enjoyed playing through the story. However it’s the same old after story grind of liberate every territory, finding every collectible etc etc (yawn) that’s really starting to feel tedious and way too drawn out.

I guess it’s because I have done the same thing a million times before in other open world games like Mad Max, Shadow Of Mordor, GTA, Assassin’s Creed series, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, God Of War.

We always hear stories of people getting burnout playing countless stacks of easy 10-30 minute plats just to stay high up on the leaderboard but what about burnout from even good games?

2. Have you ever played a game where you really enjoyed playing through the story but just decided you couldn’t be bothered to go for the 100% to get all the trophies? 

I don’t think I’m experiencing burnout from playing games but just the trophy hunting aspect of certain games.
Especially open world games where it feels there is so much after story padding shoved in.

I totally feel where you're coming on this one for sure. I think it has gotten especially more tedious in recent times because as you say more and more games are becoming an open world and as such if you're a trophy hunter that means about 60% more padding to the Platinum trophy.

I got around this by distancing myself from my Playstation for a little while and playing some games on the Nintendo Switch as there are no trophies/achievements on there and I can just play the game and just not worry about the fatigue of doing everything in the game unless I really want to.

Honestly though considering the way open-world games are ruining the Platinum experience for me as time goes on I'm not even sure I'll continue doing Platinum trophies anymore.....famous last words.

7 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Yes. Ive been playing alot of enjoyable games lately and im in the same boat as you. Even though the games are great to play, im starting to feel a bit burned out. Its perfectly normal, like with every other hobby, no matter how much you enjoy something, at some point you just want a break from it all. 

Dont worry too much about it. You could pick out a game you REALLY want to play, put the trophies aside and just enjoy it. (Only note down the missables if you want, depending on the game). See if that helps you enjoy the game youre playing more. 1f600.png

That’s a good idea pal!
Red Dead Redemption 2 is the next game on the list to play. I might just play the game for the story and completely ignore the trophies on that one as I heard the 100% is a nightmare to go for.

3 minutes ago, SimmondsR said:

I totally feel where you're coming on this one for sure. I think it has gotten especially more tedious in recent times because as you say more and more games are becoming an open world and as such if you're a trophy hunter that means about 60% more padding to the Platinum trophy.

I got around this by distancing myself from my Playstation for a little while and playing some games on the Nintendo Switch as there are no trophies/achievements on there and I can just play the game and just not worry about the fatigue of doing everything in the game unless I really want to.

Honestly though considering the way open-world games are ruining the Platinum experience for me as time goes on I'm not even sure I'll continue doing Platinum trophies anymore.....famous last words.

That’s some good advice ? I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling the burnout.

Yeah I have been thinking of grabbing a Switch for Christmas with a few games like Mario Kart 8, Luigi’s Mansion, Mario Odyssey, Smash Bros etc.

1 hour ago, usapro2017 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence tbh - I don't think your issue is with trophies themselves, but rather the types found in open world games. I tend to have a huge backlog, so when I am done with an open world game, I have the tendency to pop on either something simple, short, or just straightforward just so you have a clear start & end point.

As said above though, the killer for me is less the collectible or even the world domination/liberation aspect (as you can generally just find a guide & rinse through them pretty quickly in a lot of cases), but multiple playthroughs of a game are a real downer for me. I appreciate that they want you to experience the game as many times/much as possible, but they should also respect the fact that I have other/better things to do than play the same thing over & over.

I actually find it helps to alternate games like those with games that take less effort for the plat.  By less effort, I don't necessarily mean as EZPZ as stuff like My Name is Mayo, I just mean stuff that doesn't have excessive end game grinds and doesn't require constantly referring to a guide to plat, but still is fun.  Cat Quest would be a good example of the sort of game I refer to.  Pretty much just play some relaxing casual games that are still fun here and there to take a break.  Alternatively, you could just play games without trophies like on Nintendo platforms or games on Steam with no achievements or even older games on PSN with no trophy support.

You can feel burned out in any goal or hobby you pursue. If it feels like a chore or you're not enthused that's a good sign that it is time to take a break. It'll still be there when you wish to come back to it. Hobbies like this should be fun, and when they don't feel enjoyable it's not worth pursuing them. 

Kingdom Hearts 3 burnt me out with it's trophies as I found a lot of the mini games very frustrating and difficult, to the point that I would get palpitations and shake after so many retries. I managed to get the platinum but then ended up playing a bunch of easy games afterwards like the David Cage games and VNs before tackling another RPG, as the plats are always so long and hard. 

As for plats I did not bother with, it was Tales of symphonia and Zestiria. I normally collect Tales plats and have all the other ones, but these two games were so long and tedious that I just wasn't bothered. The PS4 was already out and I had these on PS3, so I wanted to move to the next gen instead of spending 200 hours on these games. 

Star Ocean 4 gave me such a burnout I decided to take a permanent break from trophy hunting, other games have given me similar burnouts and I've taken breaks before but nothing has flat-out made me quit trophy hunting. I feel better playing games for fun these days, SO4 was fun until that absurd grind started...well, it wasn't the grind that kill it for me, it was one battle trophy that forced me to do the same dungeon over and over again because I kept messing up. 

Edited by Venocide