Anybody here had problems with your PS4 controller's bumpers not working with some games?

YORGOS_PB

2 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

I had the same issue with two of my DS4 (one of which was a few months old, my purple one) use a can of compressed air. Spray it in the analog stick cracks as you rotate it in a circle and click it while doing so. Once you do it correctly it’ll be fine , it took me a few tries to fix it properly, but it works. 

I did this already, unfortunately this is just a temporary solution, at least for me. one thing that could work is completely opening the controller and cleaning these small disk plates for the sticks i saw in a video, problem is i have extremely shaky hands and would probably just make everything worse.

I believe the DS4 that came with my ps4 the R2 got this problem after like two years, when I teared up the controller I noticed that the rubber pads under the plastic button got worn out due to the multiple usage where the R2 cannot reach the rubbers well unless I pressed so hard on it, the way I fixed it is cutting a small piece of a paper and folding it into a thick layer and puts it between the rubber and the hard plastic of the R2 and it works.

the reason why some games will have no issues with a worn out L2 and R2 buttons/triggers is because some of these games will register the pressure of the buttons right away ( the travel to press the button is very short so you don't really need to press the button until it clicks ) other game especially first party exclusives for some reasons require you to press the button all the way down until it clicks to works.

• Like 1

Damn I definitely am lucky, I can't relate to any of what you're saying other than R2 misbehaving. 

Even my friends with PS5 are complaining about their controllers. 

12 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Have you considered the possibility that you just suck at gaming in general?

Have you?!?!?!?

15 hours ago, Quink666 said:

When pushing :l3: forward to the max my character walks instead of running. This is most noteable in DBD. Even if i press the Run button which is :l1: my character still only walks. Couldn't get through certain chase sequences in different games since i was forced to walk and could not run.

This is strange! My DS4 has basically worked flawlessly for me, except for this one issue that you described in ONE game. I recently experienced this when playing The Last of Us Remastered and it nearly drove me insane!

I ended up assuming it had more to do with the game than the controller, as I’ve never had that issue before or since. But it persisted for the entire time I played TLoU, and was incredibly annoying to deal with. Occasionally I would manage to shake it off, and the L3 sprint function would begin working as intended. But it would always revert back to being broken. This was a huge pain, especially because Joel moves so darn slow when you’re not pushing him to sprint.

2 hours ago, YORGOS_PB said:

Have you?!?!?!?

I kid, I kid. ? I am not much help here because my controller has not had any problems in the couple years that I’ve had it, even after very heavy use. But I still regularly use my PS3 and have had similar problems on 2 of my Dualshock 3 controllers.

It started out with buttons suddenly not working or registering actions properly, then gradually progressed to other issues, such as buttons activating on their own. For ex. I’d be playing a game and my character would start switching weapons on his own, or using items, opening menus, or activating the lower d-pad function of turning around 180 degrees etc (which would get me instantly killed in combat). All without any input from me. 

I made similar posts seeking help, and from everything I’ve gathered about this problem, at least when concerning my DS3s, it most likely has something to do with dirt and grime that has accumulated inside the controller or underneath buttons. The good news is that it’s apparently fixable, the bad news is that the recommended fix is to open up the controller and do some light surgery. I was never comfortable with that so for now those controllers are just collecting even more dust and crime inside while they sit on the shelf.

• Like 1

Found this issue a few years back when writing a guide for NFS 2015. There was one infamous race a bunch of people were struggling with. I then found it was caused by the R2 trigger not fully compressing causing the car to max out at a slower speed than it should have. 

The only advice I could think of was to tell people to remap it to something else using the accessibility settings and switch it back once they're done. 

Taking the controller apart the spring that compresses was twisted, so I swapped it out with another spare I had here & touch wood... Its been fine for the last few years. 

Edited by MickeyMixLipa

I'm yet to open the newer PS4 controller and see what the hell is going on with its R2, but I guess it's related to the flexible circuit board that connects the entire controller. 
Maybe it's a tad displaced, which is basically my entire theory because I can actually feel the flexible metal clip doing its job, so is the silicone button thing that's behind each button. 

Or maybe it's that silicone thing, we'll see. 

I have no idea if the new controller is first gen or what, but the one that came with my PS4 definitely is yet it's the one I fixed and works perfectly well with TLoU2 (even before fixing the triggers it worked). 
Now, this is something I mentioned to someone yesterday: a friend of mine has a controller with a light on top of the gamepad, what gen is that?

I wonder if my "newer" controller is still Gen1 because it still has no light on the gamepad