Gamers over 30 using PSNprofiles

TheGameCapsule

A month from now, I'll be 39, which is kinda scary to me.  I've been gaming for as long as I've been physically able to, I remember having an Atari, but the love affair really took hold in the arcades and at home with the NES when I was in kindergarten.  It's something I've always enjoyed and is something that I always will unless something drastically changes.  And while the average gaming audience is younger than I am now, something that we all should keep in mind is that it's also older than it has ever been and the reason for that is because of the continued perseverance of people like us.  We have a perspective that people younger than us can ever have because they weren't here from the beginning.  They don't remember how fantastic arcades were, what it was like when Nintendo revolutionized the industry, and then what it was like when Sony revolutionized the industry again because they weren't there.  And while a lot of the newer games are garbage, a lot of them are great, and we help dictate that because we're still around and we also have more disposable income.

So don't despair.  We still matter a lot when it comes to gaming.

As for Psnprofiles, I've had a profile on here for some time but I wasn't anything close to active on here until relatively recently.  Covid has slowed my job way down, I must say.

Edited by Cherrywood
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Hello fellow boomer (39). 

The games might suck nowadays as they're catered to the next generation, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good laugh with the kids. Nothing worse than being a stuck up geezer who complains, we never liked them when we were young afterall. 

Not a boomer.  Oldest millennial 'cause I guess Gen Y isnt a thing anymore?  But lm guessing youre memeing with the boomer thing. 

I figure since l still dominate in games and if lm beating younger people, l still got it lollllll

• Like 4

Turned 30 this year, which I'll be honest, hasn't exactly gone to plan. Me and my circle of similar age friends haven't been able to meet up to celebrate/drown our sorrows, thanks to Covid, hence why I became a lurker-then-member of the forums here as something to do.

To be honest, I don't see gaming as an old or young persons habit. It's down to the individual. As long as you enjoy playing it, that's all that matters.

Too lazy to get another hobby anyway.

• Like 3

It’s true I’m older than a lot of people here on PSNP, but there are also a lot of people here older than me. Some of whom are over 10 years older. 

At the end of the day, age is just a number. Just because someone is old doesn’t mean they are bitter and slow. On the flip side, people who are young aren’t necessarily cheery and fast. 

Age wise, I’m in the middle on this website. Not old, but not that young either. When I see people age 45 and people age 20 on this website (according to their profiles) respectively, I think it’s safe to say I’m in the middle ground. 

I still play video games in the same fashion as I did at age 18. My gaming habits haven’t changed much over the years. The only thing that has changed is time allowed for video games. 

Af age 16 - 18 I drank several cans of Coca Cola, while spending all nighters playing Age of Empires 2 and other PC strategy games. At 32 years old, I have slowed slightly, but more importantly I just don’t have the amount of free time like I used to. Currently I have a bit of free time due to COVID-19, but I will change to a more busy schedule once that has gone and passed. 

History wise, my first video game was Super Mario Bros 3 on the NES. My favorite video game of all time is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo 64. Bit cliche I know, that game is many others favorites, but it struck a nerve in me as a kid that I still fondly remember it vividly to this day.

11 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Hello fellow boomer (39). 

The games might suck nowadays as they're catered to the next generation, but that doesn't mean we can't have a good laugh with the kids. Nothing worse than being a stuck up geezer who complains, we never liked them when we were young afterall. 

They've always been here. The difference is we didn't have a social media platform to hear them complain because the technology wasn't around when we were younger.

It's always been the same. There were old geezers on MySpace when I was still in my youth, just as there were old geezers in my father's generation back in the 1960s - 1980s.

Too many people on this website already think of me as a stuck up geezer, so meh. Can't be all roses and bloom.

Edited by Spaz
Added a few extra pointers
  • Like 2

I’m 35 and have been gaming for as long as I can remember ?

I have a PS5 coming this week and I’m just as excited as I would be years ago, can’t wait to play Astro and all the new releases!

I see going for platinum’s as a great hobby, and the wife is a fan as well so that helps ?

As my username suggest I'm 33 and I don't feel alienated for being older than the majority of gamers today. If I can still compete with the younger generation then I don't need to worry. From my experience players from my generation tend to have more common sense and patience, I guess growing up without social media, YouTube and guides has had a positive affect. Some gamers don't want to invest the time learning anymore everything is so fixated on trophies that they sometimes forget what gaming is supposed to be about, playing games you actually enjoy.

• Like 1

Well I think I've been out done in age by a lot here! It's absolutely incredible that we actively have people of such age in this forum.

When I'm 70(God willing) I'll still be playing. 

I am in my 30s, (although I tell people I'm exactly 30. I refused to age any more after that year a while ago... ) 

And games are just like movies or books, never too old. Cheers! To us geezers! 

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 8:19 AM, LoveInHell said:

I will post here again in 11 years.

Bet you don't :P

I recently turned 39, and have been playing since the days of the Commodore 64 and Amiga 500. Had a Game Boy and Sega Master System II in the early 90s, then Sony released the PlayStation in the mid-90s, and the rest, as they say....

• Like 1

Is there such a thing as being "too old" for games to begin with? I'm 30 years old right now and I don't feel like I'm ever going to get out of gaming. Sure, nowadays I don't have as much time available to play as when I was in high school or when I was just a kid. I have to balance out my work and other real-life responsibilities, but I don't feel I'm ever going to grow out of my hobby, 

Now that all the of us boomers are here, perhaps we should band together and make a club together to teach all those younglings around these parts what we're really made of. :awesome: Nah, but really, different generations, different perspectives, but we all have a shared hobby that we follow for most likely the same reason: to have fun. 

• Like 2