Gamers over 30 using PSNprofiles

TheGameCapsule

I ’member that day at work when we were introduced to the newly released Cyberpunk pen and paper RPG box set, the one that took place in 2013 (needless to say that the 2077 hype has a particular meaning for me, all the more because of Mike Pondsmith’s involvement in this ”projekt”). The Pixies were very young, Linux wasn’t yet invented, and Civilization was still ”only” a board game.

So yeah, not exactly born in 2000, and for the record my father and stepmother are spending more time on their PS4 than I am on mine. I hope I’ll be able to clock the same amount of hours if I make it to retirement!

• Like 1

I'm 33.

Oddly enough my gaming midlife crisis came in my 20's.  Before that as a kid, despite literally and figuratively having my passion for gaming and computers beaten out of me, I loved gaming anyways.  In my 20's as I finished college and entered the working world, between always having been a bit of an introvert, social anxiety, and general bouts of paranoia/depression, one thing is that I was incredibly self-conscious about people knowing I liked games.  Lots of guilt, lots of shame.  Wondering if everything I listened to growing up about what wastes we were... how true it was and if games were part of the problem.  In my 30's I started to learn that maybe I wasn't really so bad... I turned my love for computers into a career, my love for gaming as an interesting, engaging and challenging hobby, etc.

So you could say I am/want to be more of a gamer now than I was even when I was younger.  Not that I ever really stopped gaming, but make up lost time as far as really enjoying it and not beating myself up.

I think I'm more interested in the industry and the technology almost more than the games themselves in some ways, but as we turn the corner on a new gaming generation, a fresh start, I also (hopefully) see myself turning a new leaf in my approach to games.  One that involves less thinking and more playing.  Heaven knows I have enough to play, and more to come.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

31. I don't think there's such a thing as being too old to play games, it's just another entertainment medium like reading or watching film and TV. I just so happen to think it's the best of the lot. It's nice that it is becoming more socially acceptable though nowadays as the age of the average gamer goes up.

In some ways the industry has got a bit worse in terms of monetisation. But in so many other ways I think games keep getting better and I'm looking forward to the new generation just as much if not more so than any other. As I grow older the only thing I think about is my reflexes worsening and generally not enjoying multiplayer games as much as I used to. But I don't think I'll stop playing games any time soon.

Over 40 now, what's maybe weird is, I remember being in my 20s when I was first playing Resident Evil 5 on PS3 and the whole trophy popping stuff kicked. And then suddenly my entire thirties all went, almost like a dream. Still feels like I am mid 30s.

I think the scariest part is once, I was listening to Little Big Planet tunes on youtube and I read the comments and people were saying things like "I grew up on this game", now that did make me feel old.

I can't imagine my first console being a PS3. I remember I was still at school when my mate got his Japanese Playstation in 1995. Some of those guys probably weren't even born yet..

Looks like I’m one of the few who are past the 1/2 century mark. I turned 51 this year. Been gaming since the mid-80’s on and off, but didn’t really get into console gaming or trophies until 2013. I’m retired now and what with COVID and stay at home I’m finally able to make progress on my backlog.

Beyond that I’m helping my 10yo daughter get into console gaming (she’s been playing iPad games for a few years now). She’s finally got the hang of using the controller and got her first Platinum with Astro’s Playroom last week and is working on Bugsnax. It’s fun to help her while passing the torch.

• Like 4

I only just turned 40 last month, while we may feel old, I don't feel that old now that I know their is people in their 50's here. There maybe quite a few youngsters here, but who can say they was a part of the generation that started the video game industry boom. Been playing since the c64, owned pretty much all consoles except the xbox, grew up mostly playing in the arcades, miss playing street fighter 2 turbo in the arcade at my local vhs store. Good thing about us veteran's is that we still got the skills, to outdo the youngsters and got the money and patience to play what we like.

A few things to remember is that a lot of the games out their now, wouldn't exist if are generation didn't play games like Mario, sonic, paperboy, legend of Zelda etc. and made them popular today. We also live and breathe in the arcades, you can't get those type of skills and quick reaction nowadays, we know how to play games to the point we know everything we need to know and rarely learn something new from games, as we already know how to play all genres. I believe every veteran here, can proudly say and rightly proof we may be old, but were still good to do pretty much any game with ease, unless we turn 70 and lose are eyesight, memory muscle and hand & eye coordination.

I think the only difference between us veteran's and the younger generation is the games are 10X easier now, compared to the 80's/90's games difficulty. I learnt a lot from past games with those big difficulty spikes, I'm sure it made all of us better gamer's due to it being harder. Big respect to anyone here who completed TMNT, Battletoads and silver surfer on the nes.

• Like 1

32 here. My gaming tastes and habits have changed especially with two little ones running around. But I still manage to get some decent gaming in between family and my company. I don't worry about the age gap. Most online games I just mute everyone unless I'm playing with friends. Doesn't bother me one bit. ?

Heeeey - 37 years here too! I don’t really play my PS4 much anymore due to trophy burnout and I’m just way too amused with my Switch games and mini consoles these days.  The nostalgia with that is real.  But as you can see there’s a few of us elders still hanging around and enjoying our video games. ?

38 here, and wow, there's someone the age of my father with the Far Cry 2 platinum. I always like seeing these things, yesterday I even saw a 80-something woman  doing weights (small).

Even as we get older, we still like to challenge  ourselves in things, though our bodies may crumble, the flame remains the same.

At least, that's the kind of way I'll see things, as I get even more older.

• Like 2

Can we all agree on one thing? Modern games are allot easier. It's not our experience, they are just easier. 

As I get older I just buy more and more games, I'm selfish in saying this but Covid is ruining my shopping trips. I survived the f'n Diamond Princess on one of these trips , what did I do? Buy a ps3, ps4 and loads of games from Akihabara. The media is creating a shit storm and I'm living it up in Quarantine playing playstation :)  watching our so called disease ship on the news. I just want to go back, I know about the virus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Can we all agree on one thing? Modern games are allot easier. It's not our experience, they are just easier. 

As I get older I just buy more and more games, I'm selfish in saying this but Covid is ruining my shopping trips. I survived the f'n Diamond Princess on one of these trips , what did I do? Buy a ps3, ps4 and loads of games from Akihabara. The media is creating a shit storm and I'm living it up in Quarantine playing playstation :)  watching our so called disease ship on the news. I just want to go back, I know about the virus.

Woah is the ship clean of covid now? You're still on it? 

Live it up man, not many get to be on a cruise ship for so long! I'd love to know more about your experiences though in full, you should write a full article. It's hard to get the full story on anything lately 

And yes agreed, they are easier, even dark souls I managed to become OP, can't do that in the past without skill

13 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Woah is the ship clean of covid now? You're still on it? 

Live it up man, not many get to be on a cruise ship for so long! I'd love to know more about your experiences though in full, you should write a full article. It's hard to get the full story on anything lately 

And yes agreed, they are easier, even dark souls I managed to become OP, can't do that in the past without skill

No this was back in jan/feb/march, remember the first case outside of China, the Lunar New years cruise.

I buy allot of games from Japan and HK, it's nice being an adult and affording what I couldn't as a child. I live in Australia and love gaming, My gaming room is huge and full of history.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

No this was back in jan/feb/march, remember the first case outside of China, the Lunar New years cruise.

I buy allot of games from Japan and HK, it's nice being an adult and affording what I couldn't as a child. I live in Australia and love gaming, My gaming room is huge and full of history.

Ahh ok, thought you guys were still on it! 

And yes it is nice, and much more affordable now! :highfive: 

I did make the mistake of mostly going digital this past generation due to ease, so I don't have the beautiful physical collection I could have had this gen. But I'm changing back to physical! Though digital is convenient I will say in many of my lazy moments

32 gang gang lol. Nah I've seen plenty of people in there 30's on here. I've been on this site for around 5-6 years, but only recently became active late last year into this year. I got my first console (Super Nintendo) back in '92 for Christmas and I've never looked back lol. I've owned too many consoles to name off in my 3 decades of life, but the one's I've put the most time into would probably be N64, PS2, Xbox 360, and PS4. I'm pretty positive I'll be playing video games till I die or my hands get lopped off in some crazy accident lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, thepeaguy83 said:

Gameplay hasn't really evolved, only the graphics have changed throughout the years. People can call me old all they want.

I feel as if the innovation of gaming Ps2/NGC/XB era has vanished. Gaming and being a gamer has changed so much that we are swamped with games for consumers. Now everyone wants a PS5, the tv ad showing NBA 2k or some crap. How many people think it's cool to own a Switch? I work with non gamers who want one for Christmas. The environment has changed however we get a remake of Demons Souls and everything is good again. The industry has survived one Shovelware period, we can do it again :)

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1