Games Like My Name is Mayo 2 Ruined The Value Of Platinums

Cloud_2049

4 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

That's why you are registered on a trophy hunting site? Okay. Are you also registered on a K-Pop forum to tell them how weird their music sounds to you?

Damn, you're certainly crabby. If you must know, sometimes I check out guides on here when I'm stuck on a game. Do I have your permission for that?

21 hours ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

Damn, you're certainly crabby. If you must know, sometimes I check out guides on here when I'm stuck on a game. Do I have your permission for that?

Sure. But if your only contribution to this thread is saying stuff like that I just wondered why you are even here.

Laughed at the thread title, seems pretty dramatic when threads like this crop up.

There's always been easy games and always will be, if anything is 'devaluing' platinums I could agree it'd be games with endless regional stacks and I do think 1 game = 1 platinum, but if they're not autopops then I don't really see much problem even there because at least you had to do the things to unlock it that second/third/fourth time (just a bit faster with past experience)

A gimmick game that you can get for under £1 is hardly destroying platinums. Combined, doing Mayo 1 & 2 is 2 platinums (is there a VITA stack each? 4 platinums? I don't know too much), drop in the ocean compared to the overwhelming numbers of tropgy whore games with countless stacks. We talk about so many games being so awful they shouldn't have even made it on the store but this isn't really one of them, it's a cheap gimmick game.

Back in the day we had the likes of Hannah Montanna and kids games, all of which deserve being released and having platinums like any other game, who are we to say 'nah, this games not #hardcoregamer enough to have a platinum' easier games will just always allow for easier platinums. Hannah Montanna IIRC has a pretty good trophy list, it asks you to finish everything, it's just that doing everything is still quick and easy. Same this with these Mayo games, it wants you to pretty much unlock everything and stuff, it's a proper list in context of the game, not like a bunch of these trashy Ratalaika games that only ask you to beat less than half of it for the platinum xD.

Anyone can farm hundreds of platinums but you can always see what they are, if you want to judge someone there's no hiding what those games are and the context behind someone stats.

Doesn't outright destroy trophies, countless posts I see in this forum shaming people's profiles all the damn time shows that people place their own heriachy on what platinums are worth what and what profiles they 'respect'. People look highly on difficult reputable platinums and see Ratalaikas etc. as filler and padding. People hunt trophies in different ways and theres different communities, different leaderboards, different preferences (some go for comp%, some avg rarity, some total platinums etc.).

I think overall it just sadens me that with all the trophy nonsense over the years with Ratalaika and others that a funny little gimmick game like Mayo gets the flack? It's just a silly little thing, dumb cheap fun, and honestly we could do with some of that in a pandemic and economic catastrophe.

Honestly, I'm hoping they round this off into a trilogy one day and release it in a physical bundle for the memes. THE MAYO TRILOGY!

• Like 1

The only thing "games like this" have destroyed is the laziness of people who want to just see one number (# of Platinums) and generalize that Bigger Number = Better.

It was the easy route to just think someone with a large number of Platinums in 2010... what exactly? I don't even know what people generalized. Were better gamers? Were more skilled? Had more money and time than others?

Then, as is the case now, shouldn't be generalized by just Platinum = Platinum. If people want to apply 'value" to Platinums, then they should have been doing it at a game level, not at a profile level. And if people had been doing that the whole time that want to claim Platinums have value, they would realize how absurd the argument is that this game ruins another games value.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The only thing "games like this" have destroyed is the laziness of people who want to just see one number (# of Platinums) and generalize that Bigger Number = Better.

It was the easy route to just think someone with a large number of Platinums in 2010... what exactly? I don't even know what people generalized. Were better gamers? Were more skilled? Had more money and time than others?

Then, as is the case now, shouldn't be generalized by just Platinum = Platinum. If people want to apply 'value" to Platinums, then they should have been doing it at a game level, not at a profile level. And if people had been doing that the whole time that want to claim Platinums have value, they would realize how absurd the argument is that this game ruins another games value.

I knew one guy who refused to play any Tell Tale games because he didnt want his trophy list ruined. 

I suggested playing them on a separate account but he didnt want to give the company any money (ie rewarding them for easy plats).

So he missed out on some great stories because he felt the virtual trophy you get was worth more than a fun experience.

On 11/26/2020 at 4:02 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

I knew one guy who refused to play any Tell Tale games because he didnt want his trophy list ruined. 

I suggested playing them on a separate account but he didnt want to give the company any money (ie rewarding them for easy plats).

So he missed out on some great stories because he felt the virtual trophy you get was worth more than a fun experience.

that guy should just buy and refund it back unless your area dont do refund. I did that with wolfenstein 2 play it on easy on the other account and returned it back, got my money back and in the end nobody lost anything :D.

On 18/11/2020 at 0:25 AM, elvisfan1 said:

Let me ask this: I've platinumed No Man's Sky. If I load it on my PS5 it's a guaranteed platinum as it will autopop. 

Is that better or worse than buying and enjoying this game?

Autopop by loading a game or enjoying a 30 minute game?

Interested to see what the opinion is on this.

It only auto pops if you load a PS4 save. I didn't or won't load a PS4 save, I'll play a much improved version of the game again and 'earn' the trophies as I go. 

That's my opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maurjen said:

that guy should just buy and refund it back unless your area dont do refund. I did that with wolfenstein 2 play it on easy on the other account and returned it back, got my money back and in the end nobody lost anything :D.

I did that for a few games as EB games gave you 3 days to try out a game and return it no questions asked (you exchange for a new game).

This guy was just weird though so who know what his problem was. I mean I would much rather do Tales From the Borderlands again than a majority of my UR plats.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:58 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

I did that for a few games as EB games gave you 3 days to try out a game and return it no questions asked (you exchange for a new game).

This guy was just weird though so who know what his problem was. I mean I would much rather do Tales From the Borderlands again than a majority of my UR plats.

mine was 7 so had plenty of time to decide to return it played for 3 days and send it back and changed for a better game haha

On 11/25/2020 at 8:23 AM, JohnCenaSong- said:

Back in the day we had the likes of Hannah Montanna and kids games, all of which deserve being released and having platinums like any other game, who are we to say 'nah, this games not #hardcoregamer enough to have a platinum' easier games will just always allow for easier platinums. Hannah Montanna IIRC has a pretty good trophy list, it asks you to finish everything, it's just that doing everything is still quick and easy. Same this with these Mayo games, it wants you to pretty much unlock everything and stuff, it's a proper list in context of the game, not like a bunch of these trashy Ratalaika games that only ask you to beat less than half of it for the platinum xD.

Hannah Montana got criticized because it stars a mediocre performer who has made a living off of twerking (Miley Cyrus). She got famous mostly because of her dad. Her sitcom on the Disney Channel was so so at best.

You can look at Terminator Salvation, another mediocre product from a mediocre movie from 2009.

Miley Cyrus's career should of died after Hannah Montana. How she is still popular and relevant at this point is beyond me. In my opinion, That's So Raven was a far better sitcom.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:23 AM, JohnCenaSong- said:

There's always been easy games and always will be, if anything is 'devaluing' platinums I could agree it'd be games with endless regional stacks and I do think 1 game = 1 platinum, but if they're not autopops then I don't really see much problem even there because at least you had to do the things to unlock it that second/third/fourth time (just a bit faster with past experience)

I'd like someone to come and tell me NES and SNES era games were easy, because a good majority of them were far from that. There are more easy games than ever, but the good thing is you have a lot more options and accessibility, so everybody benefits in the end.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:36 AM, DaivRules said:

You're older than me. You've been around long enough to know that older games in general were more difficult due to limited hardware and the fact that many old games were piles of crap.

Angry Game Video Nerd has made a career on YouTube blasting old ass games that were noted for being shitty and difficult. Nobody can tell me PS4 and PS5 era games in general are more difficult than PS2 and PS3 era games, because they're not.

If you want to make comparisons, look at inFamous 1 and then compare that to Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. The former is far more difficult because of technological limitations, you are required to play on Hard difficulty, you have to perform all the stunts and you have to find all 350 Blast Shards that aren't even tracked in-game. In Spider-Man: Miles Morales, you can play on the easiest difficulty setting, every collectible is easily found on the in-game map, sidequests are far easier and everything is very straight forward.

You can fail pretty much anywhere in inFamous 1, because the game itself is far more difficult and granted, it has aged poorly. Spider-Man: Miles Morales is multitudes easier, because it actually runs well on the new PS5 console, it looks gorgeous and the controls are spot on.

Back in 2010 it took more effort to get a platinum trophy. Today in 2020 I can literally buy 200 Ratalaika stacks/Mayo like games and get my platinum count to over 400 in just a couple of months.

The platinum count means nothing anymore. That is why some of us keep repeating over and over that platinums in general have no real value. Individually, they have value. But the count itself doesn't mean anything now.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:41 AM, Dangisuckatgamin said:

It's still better than Steam.. where you can download an app to  unlock every single achievement in 2 seconds on any game of your choice.

If we get duds here and there on PSN I say simply ignore them.

I played the first Mayo just out of curiosity. Yes it was an easy plat, but overall I found it to be quite entertaining and funny at times.

I thought the same. A dollar left on a psn card. Thought the dialog was great!

Trophies became pretty obsolete when the PS3 was hacked. At least we get a laugh from Mayo, I think it's the most common basic Platinum? I mean how many people have 1000 visual novels and then bothered with Mayo? Trophies are fun and this was kind of fun so I don't see something being ruined that technically speaking has always been ruined.

I find it funny that when I moved back a page, it started me from the bottom and scrolling up I could guess who the poster was for each complaining post before I even got to the username.

This really is just another case of "let people like things", end of story.