Can i continue a PS4 game on the PS5 and get the trophies on it?

Walmiltur

Hi guys, i didn't found anything sure about this so i ask here. I have some games in progress on my PS4 and i want to continue them on the PS5 when it will arrive and i want to know if i can obtain the trophies just playing the PS4 game on the PS5, using the PS4 saves of course. Thank you!

Yes you can but there are restrictions (kind of obvious ones):

-You can only transfer save data from games that are playable on PS5

-You can only transfer data from your own PlayStation Network account

-You cannot transfer data stored on an external hard drive

I'm sure I've seen a whole tutorial with the instructions on the internet 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Komrade_Dusty said:

Yes, you can load the PS4 game onto the PS5 and continue playing it as if you were playing it on the PS4. There's actually a pretty nice transfer over network feature they have during set up where you can transfer the game files to the PS5 from the PS4.

This pretty much sums it up. When you set up your PS5, as long as it is on the same network as your PS4 (and preferrably a wired connection), you can turn your PS4 on and the 2 systems will link and you can copy everything over. This doesn't delete anything from the PS4, it just duplicates it onto the PS5.

I have picked up and continued on with a game I had started on PS4 with no issues.

A couple of notes though - game data and saves only transfers for installed games. If you download a PS4 game you own to the PS5, you will need to fetch your save from the cloud. The transfer doesn't seem to move over save data stored on the PS4, if the game isn't installed at the time you link the consoles. Not a big deal (apart from the fact that uploading/downloading cloud saves is less intuitive on the PS5 - but also much quicker)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnjeddiX said:

For example, if i have been grinding Star Wars Squadrons on the ps4 for trophies, can i transfer data and continue the grind on the ps5? Or will it create a seperate new list for ps5?

Thanks !

Unless there's a PS5 version of the game, your should be fine.  There won't be a list

On 11/18/2020 at 11:11 AM, Puppeter04 said:

Yes you can but there are restrictions (kind of obvious ones):

-You can only transfer save data from games that are playable on PS5

-You can only transfer data from your own PlayStation Network account

-You cannot transfer data stored on an external hard drive

I'm sure I've seen a whole tutorial with the instructions on the internet 

Wrong. You can use USB stick to copy saves from PS4 or just upload your saves to Cloud.

11 hours ago, Patrickosan said:

I heard, that even if there is an PS5 update for the game, you can still chose PS4 version so you can finish your trophies. 

Yes. You can switch between version by going into game option. But it feels very clunky. If game has soundtrack and artbook, it also bunched into that selection. So all the items from a bundle are bunched up into one tile.

See screenshot. HZ:D tile you have to switch between game and Artbook to access either of them. If game has PS5 upgrade, there will be option to select either PS4 or PS5 option.

pk35T0b.jpg

Edited by Shizo

So it seems that not every save file works, I personally just tried Duke Nukem 3D since it’s a quick install and it wouldn’t recognize my PS4 save. I was reading on Reddit that red dead redemption 2 save file doesn’t transfer over and a few people have had to start from scratch, but I haven’t tested that one out myself since the download is huge. But that one would bum me out, I’ve already platinumed the game, but I would like to boot it up from time to time and play it without having to start from scratch after losing all of my progress.

36 minutes ago, ArcadeJedi said:

So it seems that not every save file works, I personally just tried Duke Nukem 3D since it’s a quick install and it wouldn’t recognize my PS4 save. I was reading on Reddit that red dead redemption 2 save file doesn’t transfer over and a few people have had to start from scratch, but I haven’t tested that one out myself since the download is huge. But that one would bum me out, I’ve already platinumed the game, but I would like to boot it up from time to time and play it without having to start from scratch after losing all of my progress.

I've played red dead 2 on a PS5 and carried on from where I left off ?

• Like 1