I Made a Better PSN Web Store

NathanielJohn

It's sad that someone who isn't with Sony can design a far better store website than what Sony has done.

Sony was never good about website design or just designing a good UI in general. But with those links in that stickied thread mostly axed, people are basically getting screwed over by having to navigate through the absolutely horrendous interface on the current PS Store.

It looks like some college kid in his first or second year of website design just threw in a bunch of .CSS and .HTML on the pages just to pad them out and make the graphics bigger, wasting much needed space. I've come across other websites with that same style and format and they are a real chore to navigate through. That isn't proper website design. It needs to be more compact so you can fit more on your computer screen.

Just awful. I'll be using what @NathanielJohn posted, a thousand thank yous to you sir for making this.

• Like 3

Awesome job, my dude, having you as a friend on PSN make me proud, i can see how much work does it takes to do this. As a fun fact i have exactly $4.54 on my wallet, lol. 

As a side note, Call of Duty Warzone (free) doesn't have any trophies, but the page link you to the Call of Duty Modern Warfare (paid game) trophy list. Aside from that everything is perfect, literally a dream come true. Bookmarked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Want to find all games that are currently on sale and have a platinum, and sort them by platinum completion time?

You really know me, Nate. Where can I donate to your cause?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hore said:

-Add a Minimum Price field to, for example, exclude F2P games

-Add an option to only receive discount emails below a specified price (inb4 premium feature) 

-Add a price history chart, just like PSPrices 

-Add an account setting to globally exclude nonplats

-Maybe an option to link our PSNP and/or PSN accounts to automatically populate our Library? 

Thanks hore for the feedback.

I've already suggested all of the quoted items above with the exception of the price graph. I don't really know how useful that is ultimately (just my opinion) as there is no guarantee that a game will be discounted in the same way going forward. Plus the page starts to get a bit unwieldy if it has too much information. I suggested to Nathaniel a "lowest ever price" to give an indication of how low it could go, but thinking about it now, an "average historical discount price" might be more helpful overall.

-Maybe an option to link our PSNP and/or PSN accounts to automatically populate our Library? 

I am compiling a list of additional changes/suggestions, and haven't sent my refined idea about this yet. But I think both PSNP and PSN would be ideal, because part of my suggestion for the Library feature was the ability to hide games that you have Platted and aren't likely to play again. The inability to hide games you no longer care about from the PS Library makes it unwieldy after a while.

Another advantage of also using PSNP is that this factors in games you have played on disc, whereas your PSN library is digital only (but shows games you have purchased and not installed and played yet, which PSNP wouldn't know about).

The only manual input that would then be needed would be for physical games you own but have never played, as there would be no way for PSNP to know you own them.    

Edited by baboon_overlord
clarification
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

I take it that it's going to be impossible to include PS3 and Vita games in this storefront because they were pretty much wiped from Sony's own store, right? It's the only thing that's missing for it to be perfect.

Yep, unfortunately I can't do anything about the fact that they're removing PS3 and Vita games from the web store. My store gets its data from the new Sony web store, since I don't want it to suddenly stop working once they remove the old API that other price tracking sites use. Even if I could track PS3/Vita games, it's not like I can redirect you to buy them. (But as baboon_overlord mentions below, it would be useful to be able to see which games are PS4/Vita cross-buy, so that's on the to-do list.)

2 hours ago, Zenpai said:

Quick thing I noticed, though: it seems like games are limited to only 4 DLC packs. When I go to, for example, Dragon Ball FighterZ, it only shows me 4 packs and nothing else.

Ah, this is actually a by-product of the fact that it's extremely hard to find things on Sony's web store. My site didn't know about any of the other DLC packs, since they're not displayed anywhere on the Sony web store unless you specifically search for them. However, once you search for them on my site then it is able to crawl them (and I now see 24 DLC packages for Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is the actual current limit on my site -- let me know if there's a good reason to increase that).

1 hour ago, Lance_87 said:

Nice job. However, i'll properly use it once DLCs and demos will be fully implemented. Bookmarked for the time being.

Let me know how you want them implemented. They're catalogued on the site, just not wishlistable (would a wishlist etc for demos be useful) and don't appear in search results. Do people want them appearing in search results? Maybe as a separate option (i.e., not in the default results, but turn-on-able?).

57 minutes ago, hore said:

-Stacking games seem to be quarantined, in terms of "prices in other regions". Ideally all continents should be visible to facilitate efficient stack shopping.

-Add a Stack label that identifies stacking games. So if I'm browsing NA discounted games and I see Sackboy: A Big Adventure (Ps4), there would be some sort of indication that there's 2 additional lists (Ps5 NA & Ps5 EU) 

-On the topic of continents, some games never go on sale in certain countries, so a way to monitor game prices with respect to continent rather than individual country could be useful.

-Add a Minimum Price field to, for example, exclude F2P games

-Add an option to only receive discount emails below a specified price (inb4 premium feature) 

-Add a price history chart, just like PSPrices 

-Add an account setting to globally exclude nonplats

Stacking games aren't purposely quarantined, but rather the database is just incomplete. It's easy to find other regions of the same game in the same continent, so the site is able to do that automatically. However, for linking products across different continents requires me to manually link them. I've done this for about 800 games, but there are a lot more to do still. [Edit: I have some tools on the back-end of the site that help me find games missing links to other continents, but please let me know if you find specific ones that you want me to fix/populate.]

Price history chart is definitely incoming -- I'm gathering price history data, I just don't have any to show yet (since the site is brand new).

And thanks for the other suggestions -- all on the to-do list now (some of it already was).

44 minutes ago, jossmilan7412 said:

As a side note, Call of Duty Warzone (free) doesn't have any trophies, but the page link you to the Call of Duty Modern Warfare (paid game) trophy list.

Thanks for letting me know -- that's actually a screw-up on Sony's end and I'm going to have to find a new way to fix it. They list both of those games in their storefront as having game ID CUSA08829 (i.e., they are listed as different versions of the same game in Sony's database). Might be a day or so before it's fixed on my site. [Edit: After looking into it, it seems like if you play Warzone then it actually adds the Call of Duty Modern Warfare trophy list to your profile, even though you can't earn trophies in it. Wow. Still, I'll fix it on my site.] [Edit again: Fixed now.]

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

I take it that it's going to be impossible to include PS3 and Vita games in this storefront because they were pretty much wiped from Sony's own store, right? It's the only thing that's missing for it to be perfect.

My suggestion was to only include Vita games, and make it clear/make it searchable but ONLY for games where, if you bought the PS4 game, you automatically get the Vita version for free, and ONLY if it has two trophy lists (so no Lara Croft Go for example). E.g. My Name is Mayo, Devious Dungeon, Random Heroes, etc. This is a feature I would definitely use.

This is a storefront for PS4/PS5, but I would make an exception for Vita games if you get them free anyway, plus an additional trophy stack, as it's a selling point if you are a trophy hunter and own a Vita as well.

Edited by baboon_overlord
clarification
  • Like 1

I already bought a couple of games through @NathanielJohns website, navigating his store is 100 times easier than navigating the terrible UI on the Sony browser store.

Shame on Sony. They easily could of grabbed a few pointers from Steam, because that is single handedly the best online gaming store out there.

31 minutes ago, The Titan said:

Why can't Sony learn from this? Seriously, thank you. Mad respect.

Because their team of executive monkeys probably don't play games, they care about the numbers. Specially Jim Ryan, who is technically an executive himself.

• Like 3

Amazing work! I may use your site to check discounts and manage the wishlist instead the ones available now from now on. I'm gonna check later for a more in-depth experience and create my account.

6 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Whoops, thanks for letting me know. DLC/demos/soundtracks are indeed not implemented with the wishlist/library/hide features yet. I'll add that to the to-do list, but for now I've removed those buttons from DLC/demo/soundtrack pages so that they don't give weird error messages like that.

No problem, but I'm also getting the same error message when clicking "Add to Library" on the search results page for standard games ?

EDIT2: Not anymore...? I don't know what just changed between my post and now.

EDIT: Also, I notice titles are being set to "first letter capital" when they may not need to be. For example, some of the DLC for Ace Combat 7 has been incorrectly de-capitalized. https://ps5storefront.com/en-us/game/21147-ace-combat-7-skies-unknown

Edited by SlyCooperFan100

11 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Ah, this is actually a by-product of the fact that it's extremely hard to find things on Sony's web store. My site didn't know about any of the other DLC packs, since they're not displayed anywhere on the Sony web store unless you specifically search for them. However, once you search for them on my site then it is able to crawl them (and I now see 24 DLC packages for Dragon Ball FighterZ, which is the actual current limit on my site -- let me know if there's a good reason to increase that).

Yeah, I know that there are a few games that have more than 30 packs, like Persona 5, for instance. Sadly, I cannot give you concrete numbers right now because the new official store is just so user-unfriendly ? But yeah, maybe a better number would be like 50 packs - or even just display the 4 more recent ones with a button to show all packs like what we had in the old Playstation store. I pretty much only noticed all this because I really only use the store to buy DLC and the new store is terrible for that ?

Edited by Zenpai

nice work man. Looks great. Better than Sony's own shop :) filter and sort options are very important for shop like this...

I do see something strange in your shop though: i searched for Dirt 5 and the result is Dirt 5 Amplified Edition PS4 appears two times while on the official store it's once and also Dirt 5 Normal Edition appears two times for PS4 only and once for PS4 & PS5 while on the official store it's once for PS4 & PS5. At least on the first page of the official store i don't see the Amplified Edition or Normal Edition more than once.

Besides that the trophy guide info for Dirt Rally says 2/10 and ~ 15 hours but both guides linked say 8/10 difficulty and 50 or 70 hours....

Edit: found another wrong trophy guide info: Sword Art Online Hollow Realization is marked with 10 hours completion but the guide linked says 120 hours...

Edited by Evil_Joker88