I Made a Better PSN Web Store

NathanielJohn

9 hours ago, ArmoredSnowman said:

https://platprices.com/ja-jp/game/62072-ロストウィング should link to the other Lost Wing regions. 

Thanks. My tools for finding region links admittedly still suck for JP games, due to translated names and no other criteria that it is easy to automatically match for (e.g., product image, which is often different in JP).

• Like 1

So found a weird issue.  I got emailed about a game going down in price.  When I load up the game and click the link on your site it leads to a store link showing it's still the original price the email gives me.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2535-CUSA17878_00-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tried in two browsers as well and the game shows $25.01 in the new store when the email I got shows it's $24.99.

If I go to the old store link here https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2535-CUSA17878_00-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX?PlatformPrivacyWs1=all&psappver=19.15.0&smcid=psapp

It does list $24.99.  For the heck of it, tried to add the game to my cart in the new store and it is indeed added at $24.99 there.  I'm pretty sure this is a Sony issue, but I've received two emails about the same supposed price drop when the game hasn't actually changed in price beyond the new store link showing it wrong.  At best, the emails are pointless to be sent out.  I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some minimum drop amount for an email to be sent.  Typically sales aren't going to be a discount less than 10% so that might be a solid point to set it at to prevent stuff from going out because Sony can't get their act together and make a working store.

28 minutes ago, ladynadiad said:

So found a weird issue. <snip>

Thanks for letting me know about that, and sorry for the useless e-mail. It's indeed a bug with the Sony store -- the price of that game is *actually* $24.99, but it's displaying on Sony's new web store as $25.01 for some reason, which is confusing my site. I've disabled e-mails for prices changes of 10 cents or less, which will at least stop the e-mails until I figure out a better fix.

Not sure if this is easily done, of if it would make the UI too crowded, but for games without guides and difficulty I usually use the % of people who own the game and have the platinum as reference.

Otherwise, great website for trophy hunters! I'll start using it immediately.

3 minutes ago, skinnybass said:

Not sure if this is easily done, of if it would make the UI too crowded, but for games without guides and difficulty I usually use the % of people who own the game and have the platinum as reference.

Otherwise, great website for trophy hunters! I'll start using it immediately.

Yooo Junpei! What's happening?

7 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Thanks for letting me know about that, and sorry for the useless e-mail. It's indeed a bug with the Sony store -- the price of that game is *actually* $24.99, but it's displaying on Sony's new web store as $25.01 for some reason, which is confusing my site. I've disabled e-mails for prices changes of 10 cents or less, which will at least stop the e-mails until I figure out a better fix.

My own thought would be that the price drop should have to be at least 10% of the original price for it to send something since I've never seen a sale for under 10% discount.  Another idea could be to allow users to specify a threshold at which they want to be notified, which might not be a bad feature in general.

hey NathanielJohn, I just wanted to say I checked out your site for the first time a couple of hours ago and it's pretty cool. I honestly hate the store on the PS4, you really got something good here. Definitely plan to use it more in the future when I'm looking for games again.

• 2 weeks later...

Big new feature today: Game recommendations!

Near the bottom of game pages, the site now suggests other similar games. For example, the page for Final Fantasy VII lists a bunch of similar RPGs like Tales of Vesperia and Secret of Mana, and the page for Super Wiloo Demake lists a bunch of other trophy-bait games like Duck Souls+ and Super Box Land Demake.

There is also now a "Recommended for Me" link in the top-right user menu (right under the Wishlist and Library links) that displays games that you might like, based on what's on your wishlist and in your library. 

The game recommendations in both of these cases are automatically generated (machine learning, yadda-yadda-yadda) based on what PlatPrices users put on their wishlists and libraries.

On 1/10/2021 at 11:29 AM, Lance_87 said:

Stupid question: since the old Store website was resurrected a couple of weeks ago, is it possible to implement the data from the old site? Especially all themes, apps and anything that wasn't brought to the new Store website.

This would be possible, but is very low on my priority list right now. It would take a lot of work and require adjustments to my database, and I'm not rushing out to do that when the feature might stop working at any moment, when Sony snaps their fingers and cuts off the old store for good. Still lots of fairly high-priority features I'm working on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

In case anyone here wants to muck around with PlayStation game data, PlatPrices now offers an APIhttps://platprices.com/developers.php

You can use it to get game prices, basic trophy information like number of trophies, difficulty and time estimates, URLs for trophy guides, etc, in plain JSON format.

THAT is amazing and I'll be interested in using that when I get around to some of my ideas for projects. Any chance you can add Developer, Publisher, Genre to the JSON data? 

It really is amazing how incompetent big corporations seem to be at web design. They make great looking sites that very effectively simulate the efficiency of an 80 year old using email for the first time.

Seriously though, the PSN store has been getting worse for years - I still remember how a year or two ago they removed the ability to search by genre, which was highly frustrating since I used to use it to keep up on PSN racing games. Never came back. And now it's even worse. I feel like the 2010s were the golden age of web design and it's only gotten worse since.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 2

Is there any reason I keep getting consistent E-Mails for Crysis Remastered being on sale? It's on my Wishlist, and I do have my settings set to send me E-Mails when games go on sale...but I've received like 8 specifically about Crysis since it went on sale. Did I hit something else I wasn't aware of?