Estimating PS5 installs?

triebs2

Can we extrapolate from the number of people who have a free Astro‘s Playroom bronze trophy on this site how many people have actually bought a personal usage (not for resale) PS5?

i.e. if 6,000 people have one of the first trophies in this free game, then _________ people currently have a PS5.

No, you can’t. Not everyone who keeps a PS5 will play Astro. If they don’t play it, or don’t earn a trophy, it won’t be tracked. And we have no idea what percentage of PS5 owners even track their profiles here. So, no, it is not possible to extrapolate any type of meaningful estimate.

• Like 4

It would be rather inaccurate. Firstly, it's possible not every PS5 owner has played Astro. Secondly, we don't know how many people have earned the trophies. In the past, The PS4 did have cases where one particular trophy's numbers get revealed and people could use that figure out how many copies of a game were out there but not how many systems were there. We're just going to have to rely on Sony's own numbers

36 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

And we have no idea what percentage of PS5 owners even track their profiles here. So, no, it is not possible to extrapolate any type of meaningful estimate.

I can definitely tell you it's a pretty low percentage. Then again, trophy hunters are a minority. None of my real life friends trophy hunt, I already asked a friend of mine who just got his PS5 and he said he doesn't plan on playing Astro's Playroom.

Edited by Spaz

55 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I can definitely tell you it's a pretty low percentage. Then again, trophy hunters are a minority. None of my real life friends trophy hunt, I already asked a friend of mine who just got his PS5 and he said he doesn't plan on playing Astro's Playroom.

That's too bad. It's a free game, and it is really very, very good. I don't know why anyone who has a PS5 wouldn't give it a playthrough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

That's too bad. It's a free game, and it is really very, very good. I don't know why anyone who has a PS5 wouldn't give it a playthrough.

I don't know either. I can't afford the new console, and probably won't get one until Spring - Summer next year at the earliest.

As others have stated it probably wouldn't be even be close to accurate. I for example have a PS5 and I haven't touched Astro's Playroom yet lol. Eventually I'll get around to playing it, but I ended up getting Miles Morales, AC Valhalla, and Demon Souls Remastered at launch as well so I probably wont get to it till I finish those up. 

Thanks for the answers, that is what I was afraid of. Even this cool free game is probably not being played by almost all users, and we don't have a good estimate on the percentage of psnprofiles users versus all users.

I am just trying to get a handle on the number of units actually shipped so far and what percentage of them are being held back from consumers by "scalpers"/resellers. 

21 minutes ago, triebs2 said:

I am just trying to get a handle on the number of units actually shipped so far and what percentage of them are being held back from consumers by "scalpers"/resellers. 

Any reason for this besides adding one more thing you can't do anything about to your knowledge bank?

Also, for what it's worth, you should also try to account for the number of units bought and being held for holiday/birthday gifts.