The yummy tears of trophy elitists

cm-PUNK2000

On 11/21/2020 at 6:36 AM, Alderriz said:

Who's worse: people who whine about easy trophies or people who whine about "trophy elitists"?

I rank them like this. 
1. People like you

2. Elitists

I personally hope to see the making of My Name is Mayo noclip doc on YouTube someday. 

On 12/18/2020 at 1:22 AM, I-Reaped-U said:

I personally hope to see the making of My Name is Mayo noclip doc on YouTube someday. 

Lets be honest, Mayo's noclip adventures are more likely to be a storyline in Mayo 3.

And I'm completely fine with that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 5:10 PM, cm-PUNK2000 said:

I never really got the mentality of caring so much about what other people play and platinum. It's totally fine to not wanna do easy ratalika plats, i don't really do them anymore as i dont find it satisfying to do since for me half the fun comes from making a nice long post detailing my endeavors on the plat. But at the same time I never told anyone hey you shouldn't get this plat or that plat because its too easy. Maybe they find it fun, or they just want a quick plat for the endorphins who knows, but at the end of the day its their accounts, their money so who really gives a hoof.

i've recently seen a surge in trophy elitsts with the release of mayo2, people being genuinely pissed at us for having fun playing some stupid one dollar game about a mayonnaise bottle and to those I just really wanna ask, why? The argument I see the most is something along the lines of 'it ruins leaderboards' well if you think it does then just make your own leaderboards with your own rules and not include all the games you don't like. But they wont they just complain and complain about easy platinums ruining trophy hunting and then not do anything about but make some sad petition to stop ratalika games from being allowed to put plats in their games (yes its sadly real). 

I'm honestly just fed up with the elitism and the gatekeeping that is separating the trophy hunting community, which is already a tiny one compared to the gaming community. I think it should just be simple, play what you like, let others play what they like. You don't have to congratulate someone for doing a plat you find too easy but you also shouldn't call them out or mock them for doing an easy one (I'm talking on a serious level not just as friendly banter).

I am open to different view points and different arguments, not really willing to argue as I don't use forums or check forums often at all just felt the need to say this. If you disagree, please do voice your point of view so maybe I could understand better where you're coming from. because so far all the stuff I heard from elitists is complete non sensical anti-fun crap.

I personally couldnt care less what anyone plays, its up to them, and just to note, i feel that should be the default thought process for every gamer, that said if i see games like mayo or stacks of easy games ive made a point of saying that their list doesnt earn any respect from me, you could have 1000 plats but if its all easy junk compared to someone with just 100 plats but all are long or hard then the 100 deserves more stature and respect from my point of view, but thats as far as it goes with me, wouldnt waste my time causing pathetic argument over it lol 

But to better answer you, the 'surge' you speak of probably comes from the points these games provide, i could play a 200h game and only earn the same points as a 30 min game, so i understand peoples frustration with wanting to benchmark themselves at a certain 'world/country' ranking with out feeling forced to play crap to stay with the herd, this doesnt bother me but i get why it would others

The only other reason i could see people getting like that is for those type of games having a plat to begin with, some like myself only add games if it has a platinum and i wonder why mayo can have a plat but Little Nightmares cant, or even Resident Evil 4, but my name is mayo can have one, doesnt annoy me too much but its still irritating, but still, thats not any of your fault so, i dunno man, the Internet is full of toxic people, just ignore it, play whatever you want and FTW

I mean, on the one hand trophy hunting isn't really an objective thing and any attempt to assign objective value to it will result in disappointment - but on the other hand, it's entirely understandable for people who spend a lot of time trying to get, say, their places on leaderboards or in competition only for someone with a hacked Vita to beat them with a swarm of 20 minute platinums. I remember in the summer tag team trophy hunting event me and my team worked super hard playing hard games, only to be beat by teams carried by single individuals spamming hundreds of rata games. That pretty much spoiled trophy events for me, and I'm not sure I'll ever do one again.

It's disingenuous to say that the division here is solely the fault of rata elitists - elitists are annoying, for sure, but at the same time, coming into an established community that has certain standards of etiquette and trying to succeed using extremely cheap methods is going to get people upset at you. Using cheap tricks generally doesn't gather respect.

A good solution would be to make a rarity leaderboard like a lot of other sites have, effectively dispensing the advantage that rata spamming can provide.

Edited by Darling Baphomet
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Let’s be honest! The majority of the trophy community can be pretty toxic with lots of people thinking they are better than others and putting people down.

what kind of image does this give to newbies thinking of getting into the hobby? It just makes the community look unwelcoming and will likely drive more people away from an already obscure hobby.

The toxic community is why long running trophy hunters like Carlos (CMH777) and Unknown quit trophy hunting altogether because

1) they wasn’t finding it fun anymore and 2) due to the toxic community.

Edited by usapro2017

I’m still a defender that some of this easy games are actually hard, despite their completion percentage.

Like I just did perplexing orb 2 - half the run was me swearing and going into a dark frenzy lol because it was so tough. And yet 80+% of people completing it blows me away and makes me think, man I have to do this now because apparently it’s so easy. 

Hit walls on Freddy spaghetti too. Yes, in these games many trophies pop easily but getting the plat usually takes something. And honestly, a lot of the elitists who don’t play them don’t know what they’re talking about because they haven’t grinded them out - they see the stats and say, “none of them are hard” despite not playing them. So many of these games I haven’t just sat there eating chips while trophies popped automatically, they take some effort a lot of the time.

And honestly, most accounts I see don’t play them exclusively. Most. Let’s be real.

• Like 1

I think the title is hilarious.

I personally like the difficulty as high as it goes as long as I like the game I'm playing...but I also can take a step back and laugh at my own futility. I don't have a strong stress response to difficult situations...and the higher the difficulty...the more relaxed I get for the most part. It slows everything down for me and I can just focus and breathe. I don't throw controllers...yell at the screen or get mad in any way shape or form. I adjust and adapt.

I understand that people have a myriad of different goals...some people just want to see a high number of Platinums next to their names. If you have the time and money...and you are really enjoying what you're doing...I say get as many as you can. In addition...some others just want to "zone" into something as a form of escape to kind of shut down and recharge and the more difficult titles and battles of attrition with truly grindy aspects add to the stress of their daily life...not take away from it. 

The only things I personally don't have any respect for is cheating in multiplayer, cheating with save files...and exploits that let you play through a game on Easy and then the last second the difficulty is changed to reflect something not earned. I don't respect the former because you are literally ruining someone elses experience for personal gain which I think is more of a sign of a mental problem than anything else and the latter because it cheats yourself out of getting better at what you love to do. I think if you're trying to get a reputation that you truly didn't earn...you are really only making something that could be positive for you into something stressful and meaningless ultimately. I think if it's more important for you to be perceived as being good than actually being good...there's a larger problem there that needs to be addressed and changed to better the quality of your life between your ears.

I don't think this was mentioned yet (I didn't read the whole thread, just Ctrl+F) but what about Visual Novels?
Obviously it's totally fine if you buy a VN and read/play through it as intended.
But what about the people who import a truckload of Japanese VN's, but they don't actually know Japanese, they just turn on the "Skip" function and fast-forward their way to easy Platinums?

Personally I don't really care what other people do... but I'm one of the minority who actually reads/plays Japanese VNs and I wouldn't like it if people look at my trophies and assume I'm one of *those* people. (Although it should be obvious because it takes me much much MUCH longer than 1-2 hours to platinum them)

but let's be real, nobody is really looking at my trophies anyway.

• Like 1