Turning on PS4 disrupts charging of controller

remtalemta

My older DualShock stops charging for good when I turn the console back on from rest mode even if it only has been charging for just, say, 20 minutes. Charging cannot be resumed after that. However, when I leave the PS4 in rest mode all the way, the charging concludes normally. My other controllers don't act like this.

Edited by Swithop

Have you tried hooking up the controller to different USB power adapters? Check if it stops charging at a certain number of Amps input? The battery might not be able to accept it's nominal voltage depending on it's age and the console might be putting out the acceptable voltage in rest mode, but not when resumed. I'm also curious if you actually turn your PS4 all the way off, leave it off for a couple minutes, then turn it on if it acts the same. The USB spec should step down voltage if it exceeds tolerances and should reset once a device is disconnected, but sometimes the hardware doesn't reset like it should until a full power down and reboot.

2 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Have you tried hooking up the controller to different USB power adapters? Check if it stops charging at a certain number of Amps input? The battery might not be able to accept it's nominal voltage depending on it's age and the console might be putting out the acceptable voltage in rest mode, but not when resumed. I'm also curious if you actually turn your PS4 all the way off, leave it off for a couple minutes, then turn it on if it acts the same. The USB spec should step down voltage if it exceeds tolerances and should reset once a device is disconnected, but sometimes the hardware doesn't reset like it should until a full power down and reboot.

Occasionally I charge it through the USB port on my PC, I didn't try other outlets yet. I'll attempt the switching the console off and on thing next time the controller needs charging, thanks.