My PS5 won't read discs - is there anything I can do?

Maahniac

My PS5 won't read discs (PS5 games, PS4 games or Blu-Ray movies)... or... sometimes it will. There's about a 25% chance it will read when it's in the vertical position, and about a 10% chance when it's in the horizontal position. And YES... I know which way to face the disc. The disc drive is incredibly noisy, and they are worrying sounds. The discs do no get scratched though, so at least there's that. When the console doesn't read the disc, nothing happens. Just noise. No disc icon, or anything, on screen. So it's not a "disc read error" situation.

I'm almost certain this is a relatively simple thing to fix. It's probably just a screw or some stupid thing that hasn't been entirely correctly installed. Doing stuff like this myself COULD give me more problems though. I've talked to Sony, and they've offered to repair my console, but they've also told me that they might not have my console ready before January. So this entire situation sucks.

Any advice? Does anyone have the same issue?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

My PS5 won't read discs (PS5 games, PS4 games or Blu-Ray movies)... or... sometimes it will. There's about a 25% chance it will read when it's in the vertical position, and about a 10% chance when it's in the horizontal position. And YES... I know which way to face the disc. The disc drive is incredibly noisy, and they are worrying sounds. The discs do no get scratched though, so at least there's that. When the console doesn't read the disc, nothing happens. Just noise. No disc icon, or anything, on screen. So it's not a "disc read error" situation.

I'm almost certain this is a relatively simple thing to fix. It's probably just a screw or some stupid thing that hasn't been entirely correctly installed. Doing stuff like this myself COULD give me more problems though. I've talked to Sony, and they've offered to repair my console, but they've also told me that they might not have my console ready before January. So this entire situation sucks.

Sadly, getting your console repaired may be the only option. 

9 minutes ago, Maahniac said:

Don't do anything by yourself bro, you will void the guarantee and there is a big chance that if you open it you won't be able to fix it yourself, and you will just have to pay yourself to fix it :/ 

That sucks a lot, but it's safer to let sony do their stuff, even if you have to wait until January sadly :( 

I have another question. Is it true that the PS5 doesn't use the disc beyond the initial installation, as well as to register if the owner has the game or not? Does this mean that if I can get the PS5 to register the disc (like I can sometimes), I can play Spider-Man Miles Morales without any issues? I already have the game installed from one of the times it could read the disc. I have to wait until Wednesday before I can send it to Sony anyways, so I might as well try and see if I can play some games.

Ok, so I've done a lot of testing, and I've found out something very strange.

I've found out that when I've JUST turned on the PS5, it can read any disc, and I can play HOURS from it. No problem at all. But if I try to load a disc after the PS5  has been powered on for just a few minutes, it won't read any discs.

If I insert a disc immediately after powering on the console, play from this disc for hours, then eject it and insert another, the console won't read that disc.

So basically. The console will read whatever disc I insert right after powering the PS5 on, and absolutely nothing I insert after the PS5 has been on for a few minutes.

Can anyone with technical knowledge give any sort of explanation to this weird issue?

On 27/11/2020 at 10:53 AM, Maahniac said:

Ok, so I've done a lot of testing, and I've found out something very strange.

I've found out that when I've JUST turned on the PS5, it can read any disc, and I can play HOURS from it. No problem at all. But if I try to load a disc after the PS5  has been powered on for just a few minutes, it won't read any discs.

If I insert a disc immediately after powering on the console, play from this disc for hours, then eject it and insert another, the console won't read that disc.

So basically. The console will read whatever disc I insert right after powering the PS5 on, and absolutely nothing I insert after the PS5 has been on for a few minutes.

Can anyone with technical knowledge give any sort of explanation to this weird issue?

Had a similar problem recently. Won't read disc or does but the game will hang on the very first screen. A reboot of the system works every time