Radford999

Does it matter if you lose souls?

21 posts in this topic

I’m new to Demons Souls and never played anything like this before so i’m not the best at this game, so i die a lot lol. I’m aiming to go for the platinum however. I’ve noticed whenever you die, you lose the souls you had, and you can go back to where you died and pick them back up. But if you die whilst going back to pick them up, they are gone forever. So i’m wondering does this matter? Will this affect the platinum? Does it matter if i lose a bunch a souls?

thanks. 

No, it doesn't matter any more than the fact that it kind of sucks losing souls. No hidden repercussions or anything like that though.

5 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

No, it doesn't matter any more than the fact that it kind of sucks losing souls. No hidden repercussions or anything like that though.

Ok thanks. I feel like on the first level i could just rush through the level and ignore the enemies then instead of killing them? lol. 

7 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

Ok thanks. I feel like on the first level i could just rush through the level and ignore the enemies then instead of killing them? lol. 

You need souls to level up and buy things. If you need more, you can just kill more monsters.

17 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

not just the first level - it is legitimately possible to do this on most levels, but is not recommended, as you won’t level up, or gain the skills needed to be able to fully explore the areas to find secrets etc.

1 hour ago, Radford999 said:

I’m new to Demons Souls and never played anything like this before so i’m not the best at this game, so i die a lot lol. I’m aiming to go for the platinum however. I’ve noticed whenever you die, you lose the souls you had, and you can go back to where you died and pick them back up. But if you die whilst going back to pick them up, they are gone forever. So i’m wondering does this matter? Will this affect the platinum? Does it matter if i lose a bunch a souls?

thanks. 

The only thing that you need to consider about "dying" and "platinum" is the world tendency, some items can only be found in pure white and some in pure black. The tendency goes toward white if you kill a boss, a named black phantom, an invader and primeval demons, and it goes toward black if you kill harmless npc, invade someone or, more importantly in your case, if you die in human form.

It's much more difficult to go toward white than it is to go toward black (since you can just use stone of ephemeral eyes to suicide yourself) (and that difficulty is also true for your character tendency) so you want to kill yourself in the Nexus each time you kill a boss and complete the game in soul form. From neutral, it takes 3 boss to go to pure white.

Hope it helps

I lost 200,000 souls when I fell asleep playing the Chinese version years ago. Early on, it can delay your progress, but souls aren't all that important. 

Seriously wtf. I just keep dying over and over and over again haha. Can’t get past the Gates of Boletaria. I’m using the Royalty character. Any tips?

royalty is a good choice as a new player imo, just take it slow at first, get use to the control, learn the level layout, dont use all of you ressources and you'll get trhough :)

2 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

Seriously wtf. I just keep dying over and over and over again haha. Can’t get past the Gates of Boletaria. I’m using the Royalty character. Any tips?

It's the best class as you can attack from afar. Just take it slow, dodge and attack. Don't try to rush or you'll die.

17 minutes ago, breakXedge said:

It's the best class as you can attack from afar. Just take it slow, dodge and attack. Don't try to rush or you'll die.

How do i attack from afar? Haha. 

2 hours ago, Radford999 said:

thanks. 

Nope. You can always get more souls. I mean, it's a pain if you were holding tons of souls that you forgot to spend, but that's OK. By the time you get to the end-game, you can get them relatively easily for leveling purposes.

4 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

Depends. You have spells, and ranged weapons. Also, I think there's a spear in Demon's Souls (though it's been a while), which allows you to poke from behind a shield.

Edited by starcrunch061

18 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

On your d-pad if you click right, you'll unequip your rapier and have a catalyst out, now r1 to use your soul arrows

When I originally played this I played up until the first boss then for 3 days all I did was go through the first area  then rest respawning enemies over and over to gain some levels made a big difference in the difficulty I think

1 hour ago, Radford999 said:

If this is your first foray into the souls games, the best tip is this: don’t let it get to you.

you will die. A LOT. 

I love these games, but I remember trying original Demons Souls (my first souls game) and being exactly where you are right now. Stuck in the same area for days, not understanding what I was doing wrong, and getting frustrated. 

Keep at it. Even if it feels like you are just banging your head against a wall - you aren’t really. Progres in these games isn’t always in terms of measurable ‘I got past level x’. Even if it feels like you aren’t moving forward, you will be learning level layouts, building muscle memory of attack patterns etc.
You will often feel like youu are getting nowhere, then all of a sudden it will just click, and you’ll get through an area / open a shortcut / kill a boss and it’ll feel great!

Good luck! 

oh - also - if you ask for advice on these wonderful games - some people might tell you the best advice is to “Git Gud”.

This little two word phrase might seem foreign to a Soul’s newbie, so just to help you out, it is a very specific language exclusive to internet Souls-Trolls, and it basically translates to “I’m a c*nt”. 

So just ignore anyone who uses that ;-)

Edited by DrBloodmoney

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

If this is your first foray into the souls games, the best tip is this: don’t let it get to you.

you will die. A LOT. 

I love these games, but I remember trying original Demons Souls (my first souls game) and being exactly where you are right now. Stuck in the same area for days, not understanding what I was doing wrong, and getting frustrated. 

Keep at it. Even if it feels like you are just banging your head against a wall - you aren’t really. Progres in these games isn’t always in terms of measurable ‘I got past level x’. Even if it feels like you aren’t moving forward, you will be learning level layouts, building muscle memory of attack patterns etc.
You will often feel like youu are getting nowhere, then all of a sudden it will just click, and you’ll get through an area / open a shortcut / kill a boss and it’ll feel great!

Good luck! 

Yeah i’ve been stuck on the first level all day lol. Gets me annoyed when i die and then have to start right at the beginning. My sword is now damaged and deals way less damage. I bought a sword from a random NPC and i can’t use it because i’m not strong enough loooool. What is going off haha. 

If you haven't yet, find the Cling Ring.  It extends your health bar in Soul Form.

Take your time through areas.  Guard with your Buckler or strafe around a soldier enemy to get a backstab.  It's not necessary but if you start feeling confident in how enemies attack, you can try parrying as well by pressing L2 just before an attack lands.

Don't be stingy with your Soul Arrows as your ring regenerates your magic bar slowly.  When you come across the Blue Eyed Knights, cast Soul Arrow over and over as they charge you.  Two hits even while they've got their shield up will break their guard.  Then you follow up with another and it should be enough to defeat them.

Save the Firebombs you find for the boss Phalanx.

1-1 is a big time slog for first time players but there is the Cling Ring shortcut when you open the gate there.  Keep at it and you'll make it through.

3 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

Yeah i’ve been stuck on the first level all day lol. Gets me annoyed when i die and then have to start right at the beginning. My sword is now damaged and deals way less damage. I bought a sword from a random NPC and i can’t use it because i’m not strong enough loooool. What is going off haha. 

It's worth remembering that some swords you may not have the strength to use one-handed, but you may have enough strength to wield effectively two-handed....

28 minutes ago, Radford999 said:

If you want to repair you sword, farm a bit of souls (it really shouldn't be a whole lot) and return to the nexus to repair at the blacksmith (you can keep killing the first few enemies with your souls arrows, return to the archstone to reset the area, until you have enough to repair)

Keep at it, it's worth it. If you want, I would be willing to help you through some areas, but be aware, that I'm an experience player and it may not help you in the long run, since you would learn by watching and not by doing.

Also, try to keep your fire bombs and resin for the boss.