I can't be the only one having issues with this.

Crayven

I agree with you. I don’t consider myself a master of rhythm games by any means, but I have platinumed other rhythm games and something definitely feels off to me with the timing. I can pass the songs on proud, but it always seems like the game would have me miss notes even though I was sure I was following the rhythm preventing me from getting the full chain. I platinumed all the other Kingdom Hearts games, but unless I can do something to reduce lag, I don’t know if I can do this game.

• Like 2

I haven't experienced any input lag, so I can't help in that regard, but if I can offer advice from my play through of this and BBS:

For slower songs (e.g. The Afternoon Streets), pay attention to the ring that closes in on the enemy. Before it fades away, it will flash, and if you hit the button in that instant, you will be rewarded with a rainbow excellent. Turn your game audio down and practice hitting notes by visual cues only. If you still find yourself with input lag, I would suggest trying to hit an enemy until you get excellent, then memorizing where the circle was when you hit that excellent, and adjust your timing accordingly.

For songs with faster beats (e.g. Vector to the Heavens), pay more attention to the beat. There are segments where you have to button mash, so it's important that you watch the circle for the first enemy in the series, time it so you hit excellent, then mash your button to the beat (watching for linked enemies and action items along the way).

Sometimes it feels like you hit the button at the right time, but you really didn't. There are a lot of little trick segments that change tempo or have notes come up that don't 100% sync with the music playing. I feel like DDD tracks are notorious for this.

Best of luck to you! 

• Like 3

When playing the demo it sure felt like it for me, I'd time my attack to hit the enemies, but it would count it as a miss, none of the team would even attack said target.  I mean, the ability crystals and the dodging attacks seemed fine (and gliding), but just the basic attack is what got to me.

Not sure if I'd do any better in the actual game or not though.

I thought this was an issue at first and then came to realise the problem was me.

What's most likely happening is that you're hitting the button too soon. You need to hit the button right as the centre ring begins to glow; not before. If you hit it too soon it'll be a miss. Once I realised this I was able to pull off full 'excellent' chains. 

Edited by Vrisnem
  • Like 3

On 21/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, Vrisnem said:

I thought this was an issue at first and then came to realise the problem was me.

What's most likely happening is that you're hitting the button too soon. You need to hit the button right as the centre ring begins to glow; not before. If you hit it too soon it'll be a miss. Once I realised this I was able to pull off full 'excellent' chains. 

I completely agree! It’s definitely not the game it’s the player my first few songs I was missing things all over the place because I was relying on visual cues. As soon as I stopped doing that And started listening to the music and getting a feel for the cyclic rhythms the game got much easier and I was completing all songs first go round on any difficulty and getting full chains/all excellents on most of them. My big tip, especially on proud, is learn the pattern of the rhythm and then replicate for that section. Might take some time for less musically inclined people (I’m a professional musician and have been playing piano for over 20 years) but it’s definitely doable. Try watching the demos for the correct timing if you’re stuck! Good luck and may your heart be your guiding key 

• Like 4

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. There's moments when I KNOW for sure I'm hitting things perfectly, but it just refuses to register. I know because on notes when I would consistently get rainbow excellents, it would randomly register as a miss on subsequent playthroughs of songs. It's odd, and if there are notes that aren't fully in sync with songs, doesn't that defeat the purpose of this game being a "rhythm game"? Shouldn't every note be in sync with the songs? 

• Like 2

Have y'all tinkered with the delay settings in the options? 

I had a noticeable delay and was able to remedy it. Now my inputs match exactly with the beat of the song, though the games song charts are a bit wonky. 

The song charts go from vocals to background beats and can be a bit off. Not the biggest fan as to how these charts were created but, the game is somewhat enjoyable at least.

They really should have had a calibration feature in the options instead of making you constantly tweak the settings over and over

Like I've tried adjusting + and - numerous times and it's inconsistent

It'll work fine on some songs but not others

I'm starting to think it's my tv since I got it in 2012 

What makes this more annoying is you can't progress in world tour unless you get a certain number of stars and getting those with input lag is damn near impossible so they just halt your progress and it takes away from the enjoyment of your first time through the story

Imagine if they did this in the earlier games

"Oh you just finished Wonderland and want to go to Agrabah? You gotta defeat 200 heartless in Deep Jungle first!"

• 1 year later...
On 20.11.2020 at 4:47 PM, Crayven said:

Okay look, I'm not super great at rhythm games I know that, but Im having so much massive input lag that it's driving me up the wall. Where I 100% hit the input just right and i keep getting hit and normally i wouldnt care about it if i wasnt aiming for the full chain. I swear I've been hitting and yet I'm getting hit for it, I tried toggling the BGM option for timing but no matter which I change it gets substantially worse, I dont know what to do...anyone else having this issue? Hell, if you add me I'll show you what I mean, via broadcast. Name is Crayven on psn. It's not just me, there's another friend of mine who tried it yesterday and the input isnt allowing us to nail the timing.

I agree with you and the others. Something is wrong here, I have the same problems. The developers should have stayed with Jump 'n Runs.

Edited by Sikutai

24 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

I agree with you and the others. Something is wrong here, I have the same problems. The developers should have stayed with RPGs.

Melody of Memory's developers previously worked on multiple Theatrhythm games, The main Kingdom Hearts develops are still working solely on RPGs.

• 6 months later...

I'm relieved to see others struggle bussing with this game some. I have found that I have the most issues with depth perception when the field of view is in front of the characters but when doing the bosses and it comes from the side I can easily 100% them. Guess I'll stick to theater rhythm FF games instead even though I really like this music.