Best badges/item setup/strategy for clearing True Boss Rush?

BigMeowOfAZ

Hello, 

I'm at the end of Loop 2 on Novice with 100% maps, eggs, and items.

The last time I tried True Boss Rush, it took over an hour and a half and I lost at the second to last phase of Irisu battle (where she debuffs you completely then showers bullets everywhere).  Real heart breaker there.

But I hear of people blazing through it on higher difficulty levels in a fraction of my time?  What badges, items, and strategies do you recommend for finishing the job this time, in way less time hopefully?  I ran a pretty heavy defensive setup, which was clearly a big mistake for me.

This, 0% and no spikes run are all that's left for platinum victory!

Thank you all in advance! 

• 2 weeks later...

Do I remember this correctly that the boss levels on Boss Rush increase like they do each time you start a new loop? In other words, if you are trying the Boss Rush on your NG+ loop 2 file, they will be significantly harder because they have more health, do more damage, etc. If my understanding of this is correct, you would be better off trying this mode on a more fresh game file that hasn't been looped. As for that Irisu battle you mentioned, that is definitely tricky so you just have to try and survive that final bullet-hell onslaught and you're good ?

Please bear in mind it's been a while since I finished this game, so I could be mistaken! I don't remember what exact badge setups I used, but I would be happy to boot it up and take a look if you need suggestions ?

Otherwise you are so close to the plat so don't give up now!! You can do this and it will be so satisfying when you finally pop that bad boy!

Edited by Joe Dubz

Good call.  It's Novice Loop 2 with 100% completion.

I have a Casual 0% run in progress as well.  Would that dramatically help with beating True Boss Rush? For me, getting to bosses is harder than actually fighting them thus far with 0% items.

Edited by BigMeowOfAZ

Well I don't think trying your Boss Rush run should be done on 0% run, if that's what you mean? But since you are playing on Novice on your L2 run, I do believe what you can do is lower the difficulty to Casual on that save file before doing Boss Rush, which should help immensely if my theory is correct! Like I said before it's been a minute, but unless I'm mistaken your Boss Rush will be affected by what difficulty you're playing on, the number of loops you have done, as well as being able to utilize the attacks and upgrades you've acquired up to that point.

IIRC, the way the game works is that your difficulty is increased by 1 level each time you loop, so if you think about it you playing on Novice Loop 2 is actually 2 difficulties higher. If changing to Casual doesn't help enough for Boss Rush, you may need to start a new file over from scratch and try it from there on just Casual. 

You are very correct, for me the biggest challenge was navigating the levels and enemies just to reach the boss fights on 0% run!! Just make sure to save all your healing items til the end of Chapter 5 against ?????. Then you can visit the shop immediately starting Chapter 6, as Miriam leaves and you can buy as many Cakes as you want from Cocoa without voiding the 0%. You will def need them for the final Irisu battle!

Edited by Joe Dubz

Maybe I can make a copy of my 0% Casual file and speedrun that file up for 100% items and any easy to grab Easter eggs along the way. And any badges that are obvious must haves. 

I started my first game on Normal, so dropped down to Novice, which is probably why it won't let me lower it further to Casual.

Think I may go that route...to best improve my chances of beating True Boss Rush.  Also, my 0% save still shows no spike damage either so far! :)

Do you recommend getting all the blue MP ups and green regen ups?  I'm getting all the others, but another guide said to avoid blue and green potions to capitalize on the Fire Orb (less SP to recharge, so you use it more often), or is that too situational?  Better to just grab them all and stay on Casual Loop 1?

That sounds like an interesting strategy! Maybe a bit more situational as you alluded too, but if it's something you feel is beneficial to you I say go for it. If nothing else, you can try not picking the upgrades up initially then double back later for them if you need to. 

Edited by Joe Dubz

Ah, I just went for broke and grabbed everything I could (play from my gut, that kind of thing). Just got my no spikes win trophy.

I think True Boss Rush will be way easier this time. Just missing some badges and I think the P Hairpin (can go get that now that I don't have to worry about spikes anymore), and the stuff from chapters 9 and 10, which I can probably live without. Not to mention on Casual Loop 1, boss level cap is 49.

Still have a copy of my 0% Casual playthrough ready to go as well once I finish True Boss Rush. 

Edited by BigMeowOfAZ

True Boss Rush conquered!  Only used two Rumi cakes and did it in just over half an hour.

Final trophy is the 0% run.  You said you had a guide for this one?

Thank you for your help in getting True Boss Rush and no spikes cleared!

Edited by BigMeowOfAZ

Nicely done, you are almost there! I did put a link for the 0 item guide in my trophy guide, but just for simplicity's sake I have included a link for it here as well ☺️ You may need to reference this from time to time if you can't figure out where to go. The thing is that this guide was written for the Steam version, which has quite a few more achievements than the ps4 version!! You won't need to follow the guide exactly per se, just to get you the minimum number of bosses finished in order to complete the game; the less bosses you beat, the less leveled up and more challenging the end game bosses are. 

You will also need to master the reverse wall jump technique, as you will need to use it over and over without having any upgrades. I can be tricky to get down at first but not so bad once you figure out the timing!