PacManKel

Not worth the money

122 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Oh and I doubt that the average kid beated Super Mario Bros in 6 hours.

 

They're completely comparable and I also doubt the average kid is going to earn the platinum in Miles Morales in under 21 hours.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you can do now is sell it on eBay while it's still worth a lot, that way you will make most of the money you paid for it back therefore being worth it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I find the game worth the money. I really enjoyed the game. I prefer quality over quantity in a game. I don’t remember the last time I spent playing over 10 hours playing dlc in a game.  But if you  think it is not worth the price then wait for it to go on sale. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vintage_Davis said:

I don't know how much one would have to suck to spend 6 hours trying to beat the first SMB. SMB 3 I would understand, but the first one?

 

Well, I was talking about kids. Like the main target group back then who got a NES.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Judging by this thread every game should be padded with content to justify the pricetag. Since when that became a norm? Comparison to Order 1886? Really?

Imagine releasing God of War 3 or Heavy Rain today. 8-10 hours for a full price. Nonsense!

 

It's almost as if people are allowed to have an opinion, and you are allowed to have yours. Wow!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

 

They're completely comparable and I also doubt the average kid is going to earn the platinum in Miles Morales in under 21 hours.

 

Sure but that's another goal. You can always stretch the play time like training for speedruns and such. Anyway comparing the situation of gaming from the 80s with today seems off.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

 

Sure but that's another goal. You can always stretch the play time like training for speedruns and such. Anyway comparing the situation of gaming from the 80s with today seems off.


That’s a bit of goal post moving, which people in this thread are taking the liberty of doing with the original argument that started this thread. 
 

The original argument is very clear: 21 hours for the platinum wasn’t worth the cost to them. So to respond to that argument only, not the tangents that have been interpreted and brought up, and games play time versus its cost is fair game. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, PeachXHime said:

It's almost as if people are allowed to have an opinion, and you are allowed to have yours. Wow!

Then keep it as a status update. If you choose to open a thread, then expect debate/discussion. Starting a thread to state an opinion, then wanting to shut down discussion with the 'I'm entitled to an opinion' is a cop out.

 

The OP posted nothing to justify the statement other than the game was too short. Not that it wasn't well made, or that the story wasn't good, or that there were glitches.

 

Just that 3/4 price is too expensive for a 20 hour plat. So the response you quoted is quite a reasonable counter argument - if they had added 10-15 hours of filler - more side missions, collectables, repetitive hub activities - would that have justified the price?

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pretty happy to get this even though it was shorter. I pre ordered it at gamestop for Ps4 and it didn't show up on release day. At first I was a little mad that I paid for it and it was late, later I thought why get mad? When it did come, they gave me a 10$ gift card. So in a way I got it for 40$.

 

Regardless though I liked the first Spiderman and this one didn't disappoint. I feel like if the experience is solid enough to immediately want to play new game plus then it was a good experience. It's like how I can always go back to playing Chrono Trigger and never tire of it.

 

If it is too much, then have patience and get it on sale or preowned. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Then keep it as a status update. If you choose to open a thread, then expect debate/discussion. Starting a thread to state an opinion, then wanting to shut down discussion with the 'I'm entitled to an opinion' is a cop out.

 

The OP posted nothing to justify the statement other than the game was too short. Not that it wasn't well made, or that the story wasn't good, or that there were glitches.

 

Just that 3/4 price is too expensive for a 20 hour plat. So the response you quoted is quite a reasonable counter argument - if they had added 10-15 hours of filler - more side missions, collectables, repetitive hub activities - would that have justified the price?

I won't argue with you about the status update, the OP reads like a blog post, but forums do tend to be full of news and opinions.

 

The reason I posted that is because both OP and Akrioz provide no well constructed arguments to support their opinion it basically just comes down to "Hey, my opinion is superior to yours because I said so." Well here is what I have to say to that: Congrats, you both get to have an opinion. Now move on with your lives, since it doesn't look like there is any discussion to be had with you.

I wasn't trying to shut down the side I personally disagree with, I'd rather engage in a healthy discussion if that was the case, I just don't want to bother replying to a simple opinion. I don't care.

Edited by PeachXHime
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Piracy was on LONG before mainstream access to the internet.

Here,  where I live   for example, "legit" games weren't sold, because gaming companies  gave it the same price range (or even more) than countries with a much much higher income rate (they still do, to this day) selling was almost impossible, and videogame stores decided to opt  to just sell modded consoles and pirated games

 

With all due respect... I wouldn't call these video game stores from the 80's, wherever it is you live, selling modded NES's on the down-low as the "golden age of piracy".

Edited by Dreakon13
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

 

With all due respect... I wouldn't call these video game stores from the 80's, wherever it is you live, selling modded NES's on the down-low as the "golden age of piracy".

It's not only the '80s or Nintendo only, re-read that,  piracy persisted until 2006 with the playstation 3, and even in some more "recent" cases like the R4 (that gave access to online functionality)  on the Nintendo DS, that made having the legit version of the game  a liability in some competitive games, so it goes even further than monetary value.

Regarding the question of it really being the "golden age", it's a matter of perspective, as a wee bit lad in the '80s, I couldn't possibly know every ins and outs  about modded consoles and games, I just saw a store and bought games there and when I went home they worked, something I suspect happened to majority of little kids back then, even those with more unfortunate economic conditions than me.

 

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, PeachXHime said:

since it doesn't look like there is any discussion to be had with you.

Quantity ≠ Quality. There shouldn't be a discussion to begin with, IMHO. Morales has roughly 30-40% less content than original, by my estimate. Which mostly comes  down to more enemy bases to clear, infinitely more crimes to grind, more collectibles, etc. The story is longer too, yes, but is that worth the repeated content mentioned above? Dunno. The game already costs less the a fullprice next-gen release.  If you get it bundled with remaster of original(as I did) I would say it's a pretty good deal.

 

Honestly, I don't remember discussions like this taking place before the PS4/XOne era. It's like all of bloated Ubisoft open-worlds and other "live-service" games messed with people's perception of games. Sadly, not every game gets to be as good as Witcher 3, for example.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t a Spider-man movie on Blu-ray launch at £20-£25 with a 2-hour run time? So in those terms, £-per-hour, Miles Morales is a bargain?

 

I’ll likely pick this up next year when it’s £20-ish anyway as I was always a Nintendo gamer and only bought a PS4 this year so I have enough last gen stuff to catch up on but I have no quarms with the price at launch considering it’s a premium IP and AAA game. 
 

As someone who cares about earning a platinum/100% I’d certainly be more than happy to pay £50-£60 for a great game this length, whereas I’ll never pay even £1 for things that tack on multiplayer modes I have no interest in to extend their playtime (e.g. Tomb Raider/The Last of Us/Ghost of Tsushima).

Edited by Tsundokuist
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People complaining about the price should've just waited for it to go on sale. We all knew this was going to be a shorter game.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Railshock said:

People complaining about the price should've just waited for it to go on sale. We all knew this was going to be a shorter game.

Opinions aside, this pretty much sums it up... It's like they never heard of r/patientgamers

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it wasn't worth the money, as for 21 hours platinum - I got in around 15.

Honestly the couple of collectibles, few bases and a story which can be completed in about 3 hours if you just do that (i.e. how long or even less NG+ took me with limited skippable cutscenes).

 

I felt it was even more extended by the fact you need to do side missions before continuing the story, which is fine, and I did 100% it the first time but when you count how long it takes to beat enemies when you start and later the game starts throwing 20% melee damage increases... What I mean is long not difficult, as in the basic trooper/underground/escapee enemies just sponge for 3/4 of the game. And late game level increases are quality of life improvements in terms of damage output. And no, "Miles is growing as a superhero so he gets stronger" is a bs explanation.

 

And although I enjoyed Spiderman while then and now being really 'meh' around the whole superhero genre this game's story feels incredibly generic and oriented at a really, reaaally young audience. Which is fine but again I was rolling my eyes through half of it.

 

some gripes below are spoilers:
 

Spoiler

 

For the entire game Miles acts like a 13 y.o. not a 17 y.o., ffs I love my mum too but I don't end every f**king phonecall or the most menial 'did you buy X groceries' call with I LOVE YOU SO MUCH BIRTHGIVER

he's able to pull a bridge together or get thrown at and smashed through a reinforced concrete wall by Rhino but slammed against a 2" railing? yeah, no, broken ribs can't move I surrender

how the hell does even the most superhero logic explain Phin? superscientist, all the gear, all the stuff - sure... how does she take a beating by Rhino/SM then? superpowers too?

Miles is literally almost beaten to death in front of her "oh hey you set up me up!", they're cool one moment then he jumps to protect Rhino from being stapped for some reason fast enough to launch himself and a no-superpower girl through a wall again and all of a sudden "oh hey come near me again and I'll kill you"

Followed by the most cliche can't-get-to-the-point or wait to spill the damn info about the reactor...

 

And the whole thing where Phin wants allies against Roxxon so she teams up with what is in game explained as a wannabe mafia in growth that does carjacking, theft, and racketeering - which then completely joins the noble cause against Roxxon but even if successful is still equipped to wage war as a gang. Or that she would kill a 100 people running from spiderman, firing rockets at buildings and blowing up cars on the street - you know. teenage girl stuff.

 

Or the fact off all the things you choose to transport a superhuman-rhino-thing flapping around in a container, by helicopter, flying at low level through the city even though the destination is in the middle of a river...

 

 

I'm well aware of my limited capacity for superhero games logic but this just keeps pushing it and pushing it for the entire 6 hour game if you don't count the collectables.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Value" shouldn't be evaluated solely by the length of the game in opinion. The production value, your level of enjoyment and so on should be a factor too. . 

So what do you do with long games like Witcher 3? You would be willing to pay 200$ for a copy?!

Must also be fun paying ~10$ watching a 2 hours movie. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Quantity ≠ Quality. There shouldn't be a discussion to begin with, IMHO. Morales has roughly 30-40% less content than original, by my estimate. Which mostly comes  down to more enemy bases to clear, infinitely more crimes to grind, more collectibles, etc. The story is longer too, yes, but is that worth the repeated content mentioned above? Dunno. The game already costs less the a fullprice next-gen release.  If you get it bundled with remaster of original(as I did) I would say it's a pretty good deal.

 

Honestly, I don't remember discussions like this taking place before the PS4/XOne era. It's like all of bloated Ubisoft open-worlds and other "live-service" games messed with people's perception of games. Sadly, not every game gets to be as good as Witcher 3, for example.

I mean, quality and quantity are both factored in when passing judgment on a video game, and OP thought there was too little quantity to match their perception of a game worth full price, and for you, it's possibly the opposite. I could see OP being disappointed with something like Heavy Rain, this doesn't mean the game was factually too short either.

It's a pretty lame discussion as you can see but I do feel there's a certain limit with "low effort games" charging outrageous amounts of money, but those are rare, and never succesful. Also, I feel that in general nowadays games are getting too expensive for my taste, but again, this is personal and doesn't contribute to a discussion.

 

Here are some examples: Dollhouse and Hajwala Drift. Expensive and riddled with bugs, both low production value. Something to actually complain about.

 

Edited by PeachXHime
Examples
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd be more then happy to pay 50 dollars for miles morales but in the uk it's 65. and not worth it at all. may not seem like much, but it's a desperate money grab, and they think demons souls is worth 92 usd ? lol for a standard edition. no hope. they've said repeatedly that developing games for next gen has never been simpler, or easier to either develop for or upgrade ps4 content to full optimisational standards, so wtf are we paying for. not to mention we're told that we're not paying enough for psn last year, and the price goes up yet our features get stripped.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree OP.

 

I remember preordering Uncharted Lost Legacy for £25, which I felt was the right value due to it being shorter than the other games. I'm waiting for MM to drop to that sort of price range before I buy it, which might be a few months from now. And I prefer to play it on PS5 anyway.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

i'd be more then happy to pay 50 dollars for miles morales but in the uk it's 65. and not worth it at all. may not seem like much, but it's a desperate money grab, and they think demons souls is worth 92 usd ? lol for a standard edition. no hope. they've said repeatedly that developing games for next gen has never been simpler, or easier to either develop for or upgrade ps4 content to full optimisational standards, so wtf are we paying for.

The only thing you can actually do is not buy the game, as long as the majority still pays these prices they will keep selling it for that much.

Demon's Souls is a funny one, it's 80€ here and it is quite ridiculous honestly. Even my favorite franchise doesn't escape from corporate greed, it feels like a reality check doesn't it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

absolutely. I bought demons souls because i never earnt the plat on the original, even though i spent 500 hrs on it. and i doubt it'll get dlc so i'll just trade it in when i'm done. but since i've discovered boomerang here in the uk, renting is much better.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

absolutely. I bought demons souls because i never earnt the plat on the original, even though i spent 500 hrs on it. and i doubt it'll get dlc so i'll just trade it in when i'm done. but since i've discovered boomerang here in the uk, renting is much better.

Selling and renting games is such a viable option, I don't even know why people buy digital only consoles. With how much games cost nowadays, you really don't want to be stuck buying digital titles full price. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.