Game is fn garbage

I tried getting into Lord of the Rings once. Didn't really enjoy it. But after finishing the story to this game, I gotta say it is pretty awesome. It is definitely hard at first (piss easy compared to a Souls game however) but once you level up and complete more missions and really learn the controls, it gets super satisfying to kill and brand war chiefs. Especially the ones who killed you before, get stronger, then when you run back into them, they retreat, get stronger, find them again, kill you again, get stronger, FINALLY kill them, they return (somehow), kill you, get stronger, find them again, and kill them a second time, then at the end of the game before you fight the Tower they show up one last time, and then you kill them for good with your five branded war chiefs by your side??? I enjoyed killing Dugza the Handsome that final time. Oh the joy :devil:

Finally got the Platinum and I've never been so angry at a game. I've Platinum'ed some really hard games in my life but they at least were relatively well made (save for a few exceptions).

Then tried to do the DLC Bright Lord and it's even more frustrating bs. Press The Advantage is a piece of crap mission and I snapped my disc in half over it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

Finally got the Platinum and I've never been so angry at a game. I've Platinum'ed some really hard games in my life but they at least were relatively well made (save for a few exceptions).

Then tried to do the DLC Bright Lord and it's even more frustrating bs. Press The Advantage is a piece of crap mission and I snapped my disc in half over it.

Dang. Sucks you didn't end up enjoying it, but that's ok. We all have games we dislike. Personally I hate Black Ops 4 and I rage quit on the first Crash Bandicoot game once I got to The High Road. The DLC for this game is much harder than the base game. Took me two days to finally pass the Test of the Wild, which had me swearing every time I climbed up the wrong ledge LMAO

I think I might agree with OP now that I’ve actually started this game...coming from a huge Tolkien fan, it is pretty trash...but I agree for different reasons, mainly bc of the repetitive nature of the game and dumb glitches. During a mission my character got stuck on a ledge and I literally could not move at all and the Uruk somehow manage to position themselves to where they could all mess me up, thus killing me and raising the power levels of at least 4 captains.

I disagree with the idea that countering sometimes doesn’t work though, if anything the countering in this game is so much more forgiving than in the Batman series imo. You probably just don’t have good timing. 

Not to mention that I still haven’t had a Vendetta mission pop up on my map either so that’s also making me nervous as well. This is one of those games where it was probably better to leave it alone, but hey that’s my opinion ??‍♂️

Edit: Vendetta mission just popped up in my game. 

Edited by HoorayForTyler

I was doing a mission unrelated to hunting any of the war chiefs and four or five of them showed up, each wasting my time with their pre-fight banter. I had to flee the mission and start over. That's just poor game design right there. At least let me disable the banter because it's exhausting having to come to a compete hault, sometimes multiple times, during a fight just so some dude can pretend to be threatening. The combat isn't engaging as well, but I'm still at the early stages of the game. It's super simple and easy to the point I just run into herds of enemies knowing it's going to be effortless.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, POEman553 said:

Oh my God am I ready to snap my copy of this game in half. Let's count how many ways this game has let me down:

- One f***cking hit sends Talon to half a health bar or less.

- The game LOVES to have enemies swarm around you when you are trying to do something important like, I don't know, brand a warchief or a captain

- The combat system is crappy and on a delayed reaction. You press a button to counter and maybe Talon will counter like five seconds later. Or you fire arrows like two or three times and he empties his whole quiver.

- Counter works less than half the time. Like 25% of the time.

- The developers once again made a game without knowing what tf they were doing. If you are working on games and you piss people off playing it, YOU NEED TO FIX IT.

I'm just trying to Platinum this POS game and have about half of the trophies done. But it makes so mad when I attempt it and I want to break my disc in half now.

I didn't have the issues you have but it was definitely a very boring game.

I just platinumed this game about two or three weeks back. I had a hard time getting into it at first and then there was a long stride of loving it once I got the hang of things. The bow is your friend and I find going into focus and headshot as many orcs as you can see in a swarm to clear out a warchief fight to be very useful. It is a little difficult at times and other times can be made stupidly easy. Its biggest sin is being grindy, though there are very few fights you're at a disadvantage in if you go in tactfully. It just isn't a game that supports the God of War 'I can take on everyone and everything' mentality. If you play it with a bit more tact and stealthy through some sections, it becomes a breeze. Knowing your enemy's weaknesses helps a lot too.

That being said, to the points you made:

1) Talon is no beefcake, but if one hit is doing that much damage to you, you're clearly not focusing your experience on survivability as I never once had this problem.

2) Try, like I said, to be more tact and stealthy until it comes time for the big fight. It would also help to use the environment to your advantage as you can clear out orcs rather easily using the tools the game provides you. Your bow and arrows are your best friends.

3) The combat is sluggish, but I've played worse. I have never had a counter react in the way you have described, leading me to believe you either are not countering properly or you're grossly overexaggerating.

4) See above, but I will also add it gets easier when you get skills to keep your streaks going. When you can execute two orcs at once on a single 5 combo streak, you'll suddenly have a real easy time in managing hordes.

5) The developers knew exactly what they were doing when they made this game and improved it vastly from its original state. Also they made Shadow of War and improved the system. This is a rather hate-filled and unessecary comment to make.

• Like 3

I found this game pretty enjoyable. The mechanics are very similar to Assassin's Creed (the earlier games). It's easier when you sneak around and stealthily kill opponents than trying to fight a horde of them at once. Also try to stay on top of walls/buildings as much as possible instead of running on the ground. Additionally, upgrading Talion allows you to significantly improve his health and number of arrows he has. I also tried branding as many Orcs as possible so I always have friendlies around to help me in a fight. Having all or most of the captains branded also makes the game a lot easier because it eliminates having a powerful Uruk all of a sudden sneak up on you unprepared when you're in the middle of a side quest.

As for countering...you need to immediately press triangle when you see that button prompt over an Orc's head.

Edited by Quinsareth

I had trouble in the beginning. But once I started to get the hang of it (in the sense of git gud) and once I got the better tools in the second half of the game. I found the combat to be a breeze. 

@Spacey Dweeb had some really good tips in his post that I use too when it gets hairy.

But calling this game hard... Eh.. 

Though I find the controls to be a bit wonky, but then again you can sharpen your skills. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 1:05 AM, Plague_Dominate said:

You don't know the definition of a garbage game. At least the game works. Theres games out there that are completely unplayable.

Try to play Big Rigs Over the Road Racing, Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde, or Superman 64 and come back to tell me how terrible this is. This game is amazing. There is a reason this won so many awards including goty. This is one of the biggest and the best games based on Tolkien's writings and I highly recommend it to anyone even if they aren't a fan.

FFS i wish games were judged based on their quality and not their trophies. This is everything that is wrong with the current trend with hunting imo. People play shit because it pays well and diss games that are actually good because the trophies don’t pop as soon as they are used to. 

I agree I think this game is an amazing game, really well written, combat is nice, smooth and fun, decapitation/execution on captains, warchiefs, regular uruk soldiers is awesome (even though this game made me rage on it after getting killed), dialogue and characters is so funny! As well as they did a massive upgrade to ps4 version from ps3. Loading times don't take as long. And IMO I think this game stays true to the LOTR story. I platinumed PS3 and GOTYE but I haven't yet on ps4 version, I will one day

Edited by RogueAgent-Code7
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few days ago i would share your opinion, but now I've finished the main story and i think it's okay. it's not a great game but also not garbage. At the beginning it was very hard and i hated it with every inch of my body. But if you're going to level a lot and get new skills, it's getting easier. Not very easy, but easier.

• 3 months later...
On 11/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, POEman553 said:

Oh my God am I ready to snap my copy of this game in half. Let's count how many ways this game has let me down:

- The game LOVES to have enemies swarm around you when you are trying to do something important like, I don't know, brand a warchief or a captain

- The combat system is crappy and on a delayed reaction. You press a button to counter and maybe Talon will counter like five seconds later. Or you fire arrows like two or three times and he empties his whole quiver.

- The developers once again made a game without knowing what tf they were doing. If you are working on games and you piss people off playing it, YOU NEED TO FIX IT.

I'm just trying to Platinum this POS game and have about half of the trophies done. But it makes so mad when I attempt it and I want to break my disc in half now.

Just went back to finish this as it was my 1st PS4 game, and I agree with most of what's here.  This game is shit.  The unresponsiveness and overall clunky and slow movement is retarded.  There is a delay with the counters to where sometimes it will register and other times it won't.  The camera is shaky and will fuck you on various occasions.  Talon is fucking slow!  Even on the beast...just galloping along at a crawl.  Maybe they updated the controls somewhat for GOTY edition, idk, but I got the disc version and within an hour or two I remembered why I stopped playing this piece of shit to begin with.  And yeah, it never fails.  Captain retreats.  I can catch him, pin him with an arrow, no matter what, once you go to grab or brand him, some fucking asshole will just spawn in from the dirt to interrupt everything at the last minute.  And if they get to the fortress, they will disappear once they reach the border  lol 

I remember Shadow of War being much improved in most of these areas.  Going back and playing this reminded me of playing the PS2 version of GTA III. 

• 2 months later...
On 23.11.2020 at 7:32 AM, POEman553 said:

Jesus man, this game is super easy and super awesome, i plat it 2 times and still enjoy it. Waiting to download Shadow of War to play it too) man chill) 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...