Is this worth it's 'full' price tag?

After really enjoying Marvels Spider-Man, I am definitely interested in this title, but I know the devs were saying that it isn't so much a sequel, but more of a spin off. To me, it sounded like a bunch of ideas that they potentially had for DLC that they eventually just spun off (excuse the pun!) into it's own game.

So the question really for me is whether there is enough 'game' to warrant a full price?

Tbh, the story is short if you just focus on doing that (handy in a way as you need to do it twice for the plat), the collectibles and side content will fatten out the games length if going for the plat. 

Worth £50? I’d say no. Like Uncharted: Lost Legacy which was a spin off per se, that was half the price and I held that as a better game that Uncharted 4.

Subjective of course, but its a fun game nevertheless!

1 hour ago, Forrest_01 said:

So the question really for me is whether there is enough 'game' to warrant a full price?

What are the aspects of any game that make it worth full (an amount would also be helpful here) price for you? If you can make that checklist and now many are non-negotiable, it’ll be really easy to see how many this game will check. 

22 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

What are the aspects of any game that make it worth full (an amount would also be helpful here) price for you? If you can make that checklist and now many are non-negotiable, it’ll be really easy to see how many this game will check. 

That's a tricky (but fair) question.

I'd probably have to say length would be one (like I don't feel the need for a game to be 100's of hours long, but if something is done & dusted in about 2-3 hours, it probably isn't worth £50).

The amount of enjoyment would probably be another - As I said, I did enjoy Spider-Man & I reckon this plays somewhat the same (if not exactly), but does it feel copy/paste? Does it feel like a fully fleshed out game, or does it feel like it was DLC that has had additional filler/polish?

The side missions etc would probably be another good point here - Do you repeat a lot of the same stuff a lot? If so, is it repeating a lot of the same stuff from the first game a lot? Certainly not a deal breaker & I don't have an issue with repetition, but playing the same (or same sort of) missions again would just need some consideration I guess.

Overall, I just wanted to gauge how others felt about their purchase. I appreciate that's subjective, but did they feel they got their money's worth etc?

15 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Well like Uncharted Lost Legacy, it is $20 off full price.  So it is already discounted.

But with my backlog and not having a PS5, I am definitely waiting anyway and will pick up cheap eventually.

Unless I am missing something, not in the UK it isn't. £50 from my usual retail outlets.

Additionally, this was more of a question about the PS4 version (but I guess sort of applies to both?), as I am not getting a PS5 any time soon either.

1 hour ago, Forrest_01 said:

Unless I am missing something, not in the UK it isn't. £50 from my usual retail outlets.

Additionally, this was more of a question about the PS4 version (but I guess sort of applies to both?), as I am not getting a PS5 any time soon either.

Yeah, I was looking at it from a PS5 perspective as I really don’t have time/desire to  play games twice so I will just play then.  My current backlog is ample.  But yeah, it sort of applies to either case.

In the States, the price is only $10 less than normal PS4 launch prices ($50 vs. $60) but $20 less than most PS5 launch prices ($50 vs. $70).

game is not worth £50 to me.

if im playing a game i really enjoy i'll bloat the playthrough with random stuff, do parts a second or third time just enjoy it and slow down a bit, and happily go back if a dlc pops up day 1, I'll happily pay 15-20 for a season pass for 10-15 hrs of gameplay and extra trophies. but i wouldn't pay 50 for a season pass I don't know  many people that would.

i've paid for premium on battlefield 3 and 4 and hardline because I knew i was getting some decent benefits, 20-30 weapons all with their own quirks and personality that need taming, and upwards of 10 maps when in rotation could last just as long as the base game and a great, 2 week early access competitive vibe going on in the dlc sweats were ripping each other apart.

why spend 50 notes on a game that is one and done in 2-3 days when you could have rented it for less then tenner a month. the lack of satisfaction would be the thing that stuck in my mind rather then the few and far between epic moments.

8 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

Yes, absolutely.

I take it that Xbox fanboys got in your ear that the game is too short?  Spider Man: MM is just as long if not longer than every Gears, and Halo Campaign.

Well, I am not sure what of what I have said above that would give you that impression, but no - At this point, I don't think that I even know anyone that even has an Xbox anymore & my opinion of something is rarely formed from someone bleating that something is bad for x reasons, when they could have no feasible idea about whether those things are actually true.

Additionally, I have no idea how long a Gears or Halo campaign actually is as I have never played them. Weirdly, I don't feel I have missed out on anything with Gears, but I'd probably give the Halo games a playthrough if the opportunity was to arise.

Anyway, I digress - As mentioned, I am just aware that this is a side project that was effectively spun off of a bit of DLC, so i just wondered whether there was enough 'meat on the bone', as it were.

Edited by Forrest_01

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ChiefMichigan said:

Quality-wise, probably. Length-wise and based on how other games are priced, it really should be $40 instead of $50. 

You won't regret the game at $50, I sure don't. But it is a little overpriced. 

Cheers for the response! Yeah, based upon what's been said, I think I'll be waiting until it hits like the £30 mark or something.

Not any reference to the quality (which I am sure is good), just I have way too much to be getting through right now to be paying full price for it!

(Thanks to everyone else that responded as well btw)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forrest_01 said:

Cheers for the response! Yeah, based upon what's been said, I think I'll be waiting until it hits like the £30 mark or something.

Not any reference to the quality (which I am sure is good), just I have way too much to be getting through right now to be paying full price for it!

(Thanks to everyone else that responded as well btw)

Its late i know but £50 is the discount price for the PS5, other launch titles are £70. They bumped the RRP up for the new generation so the comparison to lost legacy still holds, kind of

A heads up, since you’re in the UK.. Curry’s are selling the Ultimate Edition for £59.99. There is also a bunch of promotions online if you search around. I found one that gave me 15% off. So it cost £51.The promotion I used has ended, but I’m sure there’s likely another.

Either way I’d argue that the game is worth it’s price more if you buy the ultimate edition. Even if you’ve already completed Marvels Spider-Man. You’re getting two games, all the dlc for the original. It just feels a bit more palatable. 

Plus you can brush up on the events from the original before diving into MM.

27 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

Buy it on PS4 and you get the PS5 version free. It's worth it for that alone.

Stan Lee has spoken!

No but in all seriousness this is a key factor if you don’t have a PS5 yet.

On 11/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, Forrest_01 said:

I felt I got my money’s worth out of this at full price. Can put it this way... the quality is so high that it merits the 50$ tag. Hell I’d have paid 60$ retail to be honest. It’s all about what you value.

You can go to the movies (or you could in the past >_>) and end up spending 20$ on a ticket and popcorn for an hour 30 - 2hr experience. You’ll order dinner from Doordash or w/e and spend 15-30$ for a meal. So spending 50$ on a high quality game and getting 15-20hrs out of the plat is very much worth it in my eyes. I used to have a rule of thumb, wanting 1$ per hour from a game. But these days game quality is so high, especially from Sony Studios that I don’t care about the price I just buy them knowing it’ll be worth it.

Also I would consider this an expansion pack, rather then a DLC.