Boycott the 3rd Party sellers

kingofbattle8174

13 hours ago, Helyx said:

But, I guess FOMO is stronger than common sense with some people.

Not that I agree with supporting scalpers but your post is a little bit insulting. You're forgetting one important point. People value money differently. $1 dollar for you has a different value for somebody else.

My friend didn't even bother to pre-order and had it on day one. He's running his own company and is much more clever than most of the people I've met. Far from missing common sense.

The thing is, spending $1000 has a second to none impact on his financial situation. Although he said the situation is unfortunate for the customer, he wasn't gonna wait for PS5 to be available at retail. Especially since his kids also wanted to play it.

Edited by BloodyRutz
  • Like 1

Sadly I think for the people who can't secure one at retail and won't pay extra for it it's gonna be like this for a while until Sony makes a shit ton of them. Most people just can't wait to have them in hand so they pay extra. The sales number is just one website alone. Tons of people also bought on ebay.

43HGDd2.png

• Like 2

Isnt this illegal? Price gouging and scalping, marking things up above the manufacturers sticker price..

i remember back in the day people scalping concert tickets way above the actual price tag but they werent selling you the tickets, they were just added in

like for instance, this 1 guy In particular was selling a $2,000 t-shirt but it included two tickets to a Michael Jackson concert, thats because on the actual tickets themselves was a pricetag as most tickets do, so his selling point was a t-shirt to get around whatever scalping laws there was at the time...but this was also like 20 years ago
but then again, im more than certain these consoles dont have the MSRP on the actual packaging therefore you can Potentially resell them at whatever price you want

• Like 2

Just now, Property_Damage said:

Isnt this illegal? Price gouging and scalping, marking things up above the manufacturers sticker price..

i remember back in the day people scalping concert tickets way above the actual price tag but they werent selling you the tickets, they were just added in

like for instance, this 1 guy In particular was selling a $2,000 t-shirt but it included two tickets to a Michael Jackson concert, thats because on the actual tickets themselves was a pricetag as most tickets do, so his selling point was a t-shirt to get around whatever scalping laws there was at the time...but this was also like 20 years ago
but then again, im more than certain these consoles dont have the MSRP on the actual packaging therefore you can Potentially resell them at whatever price you want

Entertainment tickets have actual laws specifically for them. They don't apply to everything.

And it's not price gauging if it's not the retailer doing the price increasing, that's another legal term that has a specific application.

Nothing illegal about this.

2 minutes ago, Property_Damage said:

This is where places like ebay come in handy, if you place the auction price just below retail, it will go way above by the time it is done. 

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Entertainment tickets have actual laws specifically for them. They don't apply to everything.

And it's not price gauging if it's not the retailer doing the price increasing, that's another legal term that has a specific application.

Nothing illegal about this.

Yeah technically you arent suppossed to resell them for more than their face value, so if its a $400 concert ticket, its not to be sold for more than that and can be punished by law

i mean, you think practices like these would expand further than just a concert ticket
a concert and a game console are two different forms of “Entertainment” but still are entertainment 

I got my ps5 at retail price On launch, so im not going beyond necessary means in obtaining one, its just some scummy as shit seeing these botters with some serious expendable income buying up all these systems In bulk and marking them up...like im sure weve all seen that 1 guy alone had like 43 ps5s in his basement, like he literally dropped $25,000 on consoles With the sole intention to flip them for more than double what Sony sells them for

its gross

• Like 3

i really dont htink people are getting 3k of them. i browsed on ebay and did see people with 20 of them (which is to many imo) but ive heard alot of these people are scammers. because one thing is fore sure, trying to get your money back on ebay is a headache and may not even happen. i have a few thoughts on this

1. i think sony just didnt make enough, they introduced them to close to release date. 

2. stores arent telling us how many they have in stock. if we knew the whole world was ordering at once and they only have like 200 then we prob wouldnt bother. but we get pissed we waited the entire day 3 times and lost 3 times at places like walmart. making us super pissed
3. im all for people making a profit on 1 console. not 20. i had a friend (rip) who was very poor, he would wait in line for HOURS to get release day things to make enough money for himself. but he wouldnt buy multiples just 1. and if i had the patience like him i would of as well. i know this is a bit different since its online but im still fine with people scalping 1
4. the price boost, if people make more money they others then let them pay the high price. its a circulation of money. a rich person might be buying a system from a poor person. my sister is filthy rich, she gets paid alot and in return she tips people very high and dishes out more money because she can afford to. alot of people with money do this. unless your lebron james, then you only care about black children.ive had enough experience with him that hes a certified asshole
5. were all pretty pissed but we''ll all get one eventually. alot of these sites are limiting sales now. on walmart they accidentally put $5k worth of ps5s in my cart because the website was freezing but then it said "limit 1" at checkout. but there stupid qty error was enough to set me back just enough that i didnt get anything.

so yah i guss what im saying is i dont think bot inflation is as bad as 3000k units. but i def see some people with 20 and those people are shitheads. but if its 1 or 2 i dont mind. i honestly have the money to pay the inflated price but there isnt any games im dying to play so im waiting. if there was a game out i really wanted to play i would prob pay the extra 2oo or 300 but ive worked hard to save my money so what i spend it on  i think im entitled to it

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Komrade_Dusty said:

Amazon made some progress in combating it

Amazon has elected to not allow any 3rd party sellers to sell Apple products. Ebay has chosen on many occasions in the past to restrict categories or specific items from being sold on it's platform.

They could both absolutely stop 3rd party sales of any items they choose and it would be a huge roadblock to the situation we're seeing play out time and again with high-demand items at and after launch. They also both know how much money they bring in (increased with increased final sales prices) with allowing them and as far as Sony is concerned, a sale is a sale. They make the same amount of money from a bot who pays with a credit card as they do from any one else.

The distribution points (retailers) are the ideal places to resolve this, but they all have more gain by allowing it to happen, so I don't see anything changing if they have their ways.

4 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

i really dont htink people are getting 3k of them. i browsed on ebay and did see people with 20 of them (which is to many imo) but ive heard alot of these people are scammers. because one thing is fore sure, trying to get your money back on ebay is a headache and may not even happen. i have a few thoughts on this

1. i think sony just didnt make enough, they introduced them to close to release date. 

2. stores arent telling us how many they have in stock. if we knew the whole world was ordering at once and they only have like 200 then we prob wouldnt bother. but we get pissed we waited the entire day 3 times and lost 3 times at places like walmart. making us super pissed
3. im all for people making a profit on 1 console. not 20. i had a friend (rip) who was very poor, he would wait in line for HOURS to get release day things to make enough money for himself. but he wouldnt buy multiples just 1. and if i had the patience like him i would of as well. i know this is a bit different since its online but im still fine with people scalping 1
4. the price boost, if people make more money they others then let them pay the high price. its a circulation of money. a rich person might be buying a system from a poor person. my sister is filthy rich, she gets paid alot and in return she tips people very high and dishes out more money because she can afford to. alot of people with money do this. unless your lebron james, then you only care about black children.ive had enough experience with him that hes a certified asshole
5. were all pretty pissed but we''ll all get one eventually. alot of these sites are limiting sales now. on walmart they accidentally put $5k worth of ps5s in my cart because the website was freezing but then it said "limit 1" at checkout. but there stupid qty error was enough to set me back just enough that i didnt get anything.

so yah i guss what im saying is i dont think bot inflation is as bad as 3000k units. but i def see some people with 20 and those people are shitheads. but if its 1 or 2 i dont mind. i honestly have the money to pay the inflated price but there isnt any games im dying to play so im waiting. if there was a game out i really wanted to play i would prob pay the extra 2oo or 300 but ive worked hard to save my money so what i spend it on  i think im entitled to it

So for the large number scammers, it is actually several people working together in a group. All combined it is about 3500 consoles for just this one UK group. This article is jst one of many I have found on the topic. 

https://screenrant.com/ps5-online-sales-bots-scalpers-resellers/

• Like 1

I am against bots buying multiples of consoles which means ordinary folk miss out but in saying that I think anyone can pay whatever they want for a console, If they really want a PS5 and someone who bought multiples of them are now selling them at much inflated prices and people are paying it then thats their choice.

Those buyers presumably work hard for their money and if they are happy to pay double for a PS5 then thats upto them, its no-one else's business.

• Like 1

New consoles are not essentials. If people are willing to pay insane prices of scalpers, then it's their own fault. If there wasn't a demand there wouldn't be a reason to scalp. I pre-ordered both my PS5 and Xbox Series X in October. Got both of them on day 1 launch of both consoles without issues. I don't understand people that don't pre-order and then complain about out of stock consoles.

Also here in Russia there are Xbox Series X and PS5 consoles on shelfs in the wild. I seen 2 myself in local electronics retail couple of days ago and was surprised it's just sitting there. Out of stock everywhere online though.

Also our scalpers prices for PS5 are not as bad as in the west it seems. Our scalpers seem to charge maybe extra 20-30% on top of MSRP. Nothing crazy like 2-3x over the MSRP.

Now RTX3080 on the other hand is harder to find than either PS5 or Xbox Series X here. And they do get sold by scalpers for 2-2.5x MSRP.

Edited by Shizo

11 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

So some articles that I have read lately have said that there are some dealers who using bots have collected up to 3,500 PS5's using bot software and it is a practice that I am tired of seeing. I know it was used alot over the summer to collect up Nintendo Switch's and it was so bad that you could not find one because they were being bought up by the bots before the consumer had a chance. Honestly I find the whole practice scummy. It is no better then the people who went to every store in the area at the beginning of the pandemic and bought every bottle of hand sanitizer to turn around and see it marked up. Now these PS5's are being turned around and sold for $850 to over $1000, which is ridiculous. At this time where people are losing their jobs and have lower income is not the time to take advantage of them. The only way for them to stop is for some to get stuck taking a loss and not being able to resell the product. Don't let these sellers take advantage of you. We can't reach everyone but this is a start. 

First of all, it is better than the people buying up hand sanitizer.... because covid can kill you. Not having a PS5 cannot kill you. So please stop exaggerating and being so dramatic.

Second of all, "At this time where people are losing their jobs and have lower income"..... umm maybe those people shouldn't be worried about buying a Playstation 5?? That point there, you're trying to prove, is stupid af.

Third of all, if people can pay $850-$1,000 for a PS5, so be it. Good for them. Who are you to tell them otherwise??

I understand your overall feelings toward the whole 3rd party seller thing, and i know a lot of people will agree with you.... myself included (that it is scummy), but you're going about it all wrong.

Also, another thing is.... where do you draw the line? Have you ever bought DLC for a game? Have you ever bought microtransactions? You tell other people not to let others take advantage of them. Yet, DLC (most of the time) and microtransactions are just as scummy and take advantage of gamers.

• Like 1

I have dozens of PS4 games I still need to play and trophy hunt. Lol. I am avoiding this minefield until you can actually buy them for retail. If that’s 6 months, a year, or more, so be it. The scam works precisely because some are able and willing to pay 1000s for a brand new console. The more people that play the long game and wait it out, the faster this is over. 

• Like 2