[Mild Spoiler]Throwbacks to Assassin's Creed 1

Copanele

While I was messing around in the city of Jorvik in the north, I couldn't help but feel that the quests there are heavily inspired from Altair's targets in Assassin's Creed 1

Minor spoilers for those who already played this chapter, just in case:

Spoiler

The Firebrand - Jubair(Altair's eighth target), both targets were scholars, both were burning their culture's books and scrolls, both of them had doppelgangers roaming around the city and you had to investigate which one is the true target.

The Needle - Tamir(Altair's first target), both of these targets were in the marketplace, both of them stabbed a poor merchant and ran around stalls yelling orders while being followed by guards

The Vault - Abu'l Nuqoud (Altair's  third target) , both of them rich , both doing banquets and poisoning the population in the middle of a bragging toast, both of them running like cowards until I catch them.

Also The Leech, another similar target from another area is similar to Garnier (Altair's second target) - both were men of medicine and were experimenting on patients, both were killed in their locked hospital

These were too similar to be mere coincidences, I kinda liked the attention to detail in this specific city. Apparently someone managed to do a proper job at Ubisoft (other than causing bugs and such). 

Anyone found any similarities with AC1?

P.S. Personally I still hope for an AC1 remake, it's  the only one that didn't get the treatment yet from PS3.

I personally think we won't get any kind of remake/remaster of AC1 from Ubisoft and the reason is simple: The most recent AC games have been so different from the original AC formula (Origins, Oddysey, and Valhalla) that I think they completely dropped the idea of making any other stealth open-world AC game. They are making Witcher 3 clones and so far I think they liked it enough to not change it. Games are being more expensive and difficult to be made, so more staff is needed. They'd have to outsource it to another company, and I don't think they ever did that with their major franchises. + AC1 despite its legacy, is the least favorite for many fans, I know I wouldn't buy it unless they'd change it drastically, AC1 is the only game in the series I wasn't able to finish, it was simply too boring and clunky for my taste. But who knows, time will tell.

3 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

I personally think we won't get any kind of remake/remaster of AC1 from Ubisoft and the reason is simple: The most recent AC games have been so different from the original AC formula (Origins, Oddysey, and Valhalla) that I think they completely dropped the idea of making any other stealth open-world AC game. They are making Witcher 3 clones and so far I think they liked it enough to not change it. Games are being more expensive and difficult to be made, so more staff is needed. They'd have to outsource it to another company, and I don't think they ever did that with their major franchises. + AC1 despite its legacy, is the least favorite for many fans, I know I wouldn't buy it unless they'd change it drastically, AC1 is the only game in the series I wasn't able to finish, it was simply too boring and clunky for my taste. But who knows, time will tell.

Was thinking honestly they'll throw it in like they did with AC3 + AC Liberation as an Odyssey Season Pass bonus. But yeah, wishful thinking aside, it does look like too much hassle to bring it back from the dead.

The first Assassin's Creed game is the first and only game in the series to actually show the contrast between the assassin and templar ideals and philosophy. Everytime you would kill a target you would get a whole speech from them explaining the reasoning and motivations behind their actions and most of the time it actually got me thinking.

The next games stopped exploring this side of the conflict and became a classic good faction vs. bad faction story. The closest we've ever gotten since has been with AC: Rogue, and even then it felt very "diluted".

The first game really felt like a game "designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs". Since then it felt more like a slogan than anything else.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Was thinking honestly they'll throw it in like they did with AC3 + AC Liberation as an Odyssey Season Pass bonus. But yeah, wishful thinking aside, it does look like too much hassle to bring it back from the dead.

The only problem with this is they already remade AC3 + AC Liberation on PS4, so they did as bonus to the season pass just because they could/wanted. With AC1, they'd need to remake the entire game and adjust it to the new console. I don't think a simple resolution upscaling would work with AC1. 

1 minute ago, HaserPL said:

The only problem with this is they already remade AC3 + AC Liberation on PS4, so they did as bonus to the season pass just because they could/wanted. With AC1, they'd need to remake the entire game and adjust it to the new console. I don't think a simple resolution upscaling would work with AC1. 

I think they did just that with Ezio collection ... At the cost of butchering the games themselves xD or did the devs do something special to them? 

20 minutes ago, ViperLance34 said:

The first Assassin's Creed game is the first and only game in the series to actually show the contrast between the assassin and templar ideals and philosophy. Everytime you would kill a target you would get a whole speech from them explaining the reasoning and motivations behind their actions and most of the time it actually got me thinking.

The next games stopped exploring this side of the conflict and became a classic good faction vs. bad faction story. The closest we've ever gotten since has been with AC: Rogue, and even then it felt very "diluted".

The first game really felt like a game "designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs". Since then it felt more like a slogan than anything else.

They managed to recapture that feeling just a little bit in Valhalla while going for the members of the Order. Except they didn't make me think too much. 

Rogue really was kinda underrated for the interesting story concepts that it brought. 

• Like 1

They need to remake the original Assassin's Creed. Give Altair a more fitting voice like Ubisoft did for him in Revelations, make the side content a little more interesting but still have the game focus on the assassination targets. Take out those useless flags, because there was no point for them.

I would be a buyer if Ubisoft did this.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

They need to remake the original Assassin's Creed. Give Altair a more fitting voice like Ubisoft did for him in Revelations, make the side content a little more interesting but still have the game focus on the assassination targets. Take out those useless flags, because there was no point for them.

I would be a buyer if Ubisoft did this.

There's 2 things I would like them to implement and focus on, honestly, in a potential remake : air assassination and adding subtitles. Loved the atmosphere but man it was hard to assassinate in that game.

Flags will NEVER leave. It wouldn't be an Ubisoft game without those flags and templars to find and kill xD 

6 minutes ago, Copanele said:

There's 2 things I would like them to implement and focus on, honestly, in a potential remake : air assassination and adding subtitles. Loved the atmosphere but man it was hard to assassinate in that game.

Flags will NEVER leave. It wouldn't be an Ubisoft game without those flags and templars to find and kill xD 

Well obviously, the game came out back in 2007, and its pretty dated by now. Most people would fall asleep on those long cutscenes.

I actually liked the first Assassin's Creed game a lot and I think I nearly 1000/1000 G on my 360 account. If Ubisoft just did a remaster for PS4/PS5 of the first game without changing the content, I would be there for that.

Like @HaserPL said, the first Assassin's Creed really made you think and consider what was being done and you felt like Ubisoft wanted to tell an overarching story with the series. I'm on Assassin's Creed III right now and I find everything that built up to it to be intriguing.

It makes me wish that Ubisoft would bring back Desmond for the newest games somehow.

Spoiler

Yes, I know he's dead, but maybe he could come back in a similar as the people from the First Civilization did and guide the player character through the Animus and to stop the next apocalypse.

2 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

The origins of the flags were revealed earlier this year, and they were added because the son of one of the Ubisoft CEOs didn't think the base game was fun, so they added flag collection "for fun". I don't know how that is considered "fun", because it was the complete opposite.

Not a very mature thing to do, but man I'd kick that runt's ass now. His dumb ideas is why I had to collect those fkin chests and cockades in Unity. Monster.

2 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Well obviously, the game came out back in 2007, and its pretty dated by now. Most people would fall asleep on those long cutscenes.

They can sit through Kojimer's Death Stranding and Metal Gears Solids and those Kingdom Hearts stuff, they CAN survive a little cutscene with mr Desmond. I don't remember cutscenes being that long, only Lucy's scary face. She looked terrifying.

1 minute ago, POEman553 said:

It makes me wish that Ubisoft would bring back Desmond for the newest games somehow.

* bonk * no Desmond for you, Layla 4everz.

Jokes aside, I miss Desmond too, as goofy and oatmeal bland as he was. Layla is a complete ass in all these games and I can't stand her. Heck I'd prefer the clipboard walking NPC from Black Flag to her annoying ass. However I doubt he will ever return...if we consider the comics to be canon too. Yes, there are comics and no they are not interesting.