DQ XI S : Trophy Thoughts

I actually just platinumed the original Dragon Quest XI a few weeks ago hoping for a new trophy list like with P5R. Guess I may have underestimated how different this re-release was.

I also hope that the trophies from the demo will autopop as well. Because If not I'll probably have to make a new save just for that.

I’m glad that I skipped the original release, doesn’t feel like it came out 2 years ago ?, I guess it’s a shame about the trophy icons still being mediocre but that’s a tiny issue.

I look forward to this (only played the spin offs). A strong candidate for a good Christmas game in my eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deluziion90 said:

So what is this game? Really liked the other version

Port of the Nintendo Switch version, which was an enhanced port.

You get downgraded graphics compared to the original (hence Switch port), but you get the 16-bit 2D mode, new costumes for everyone, new party member side-stories, JP voice track option, fully orchestrated soundtrack option, QoL improvements like tweaked combat, combat speed up, more party member interactions during combat, the ability to summon mounts anywhere on the overworld, can use the equipment forge anywhere, photo mode, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lukesk11135 said:

I actually just platinumed the original Dragon Quest XI a few weeks ago hoping for a new trophy list like with P5R. Guess I may have underestimated how different this re-release was.

I also hope that the trophies from the demo will autopop as well. Because If not I'll probably have to make a new save just for that.

I've read that they should pop when the full game releases because they did for Dragon Quest Builders 2 if you played the demo

57 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

There are some new areas in 2D, new character stuff and you can switch between 2D and 3D and it has the orchestra soundtrack. 

Unfortunately from what I hear you aren't able to seamlessly switch from 2D to 3D like the trailer implied 

If you do switch to 2D from 3D and vice-versa it restarts you at the beginning of the current chapter which is a huge disappointment because I was really looking forward to this feature 

3 minutes ago, CaptainJeff87 said:

I've read that they should pop when the full game releases because they did for Dragon Quest Builders 2 if you played the demo

Unfortunately from what I hear you aren't able to seamlessly switch from 2D to 3D like the trailer implied 

If you do switch to 2D from 3D and vice-versa it restarts you at the beginning of the current chapter which is a huge disappointment because I was really looking forward to this feature 

Well, planning on playing the entire game in 2D, so that won't be a huge deal. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Kinda lame this isn't just a DLC pack. There's really no reason to rerelease an existing game on the same platform with new features in 2020. I know its common with Japanese games (Persona 5 Royal comes to mind), but I'm not a fan of these types of moves.

Agreed. As much as I love DQXI, I just can't justify re-platting a 100+ hour game with minor improvements when I have such a huge backlog already. If it was a DLC pack, or if there was a way to transfer save data, I'd love to jump back in for a few hours.

On the note of P5R, though, it seems like the difference between P5 and P5R is significantly larger than DQXI and DQXIS making this in particular that much more puzzling.

• Like 2

Disagree, this is one of the few games that I’d gladly re-platinum, and I’m very happy for the chance (I’d take NieR:Automata and Bloodborne as well).

2 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

Cool to see that Hero’s shield is still the plat icon 1f601.png I was planning on making DQXI a milestone but waited to see what the definitive version brought to the table. Might as well play this one instead for sure 1f600.png

It’s not definitive when the graphics are worse :/

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Kinda lame this isn't just a DLC pack. There's really no reason to rerelease an existing game on the same platform with new features in 2020. I know its common with Japanese games (Persona 5 Royal comes to mind), but I'm not a fan of these types of moves.

Money is a reason, of course.  Not a gamer's reason, but a developers' reason.  Plus, for great games, some folks are happy to run through it again with a second list of trophies.  I would like to play this some day, but will wait for a sale.  Excited at the thought of marrying someone different, too.  (That trophy has changed from the last iteration of the game.)

Edited by IntroPhenom

13 hours ago, fbdbh said:

It’s not definitive when the graphics are worse :/

At first I wasn’t sure what you meant, so I decided to look into it. Turns out this is a direct port of the Switch version rather than adding the new content to the PS4 original. Sounds like a typical Square Enix move, but I probably would have never noticed unless I was comparing both versions side by side. Not here to inspect them under a microscope, just wanna play some Dragon Quest. Who knows, maybe I’ll plat both copies ?

• Like 3