Sony temp banning users who buy Plus Collection from Sellers

Kishnabe

9 minutes ago, nolanexpress08 said:

I got the PS5, so I let my brother hookup this account to it and redeem the games. Could doing this one time get me banned? I'm glad that Sony is cracking down on people profiting off a free service, but hopefully, I don't get banned!

Highly unlikely. All indications is that this is an automatic trigger for consoles with over 50 accounts redeeming the Plus Collection.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nolanexpress08 said:

I got the PS5, so I let my brother hookup this account to it and redeem the games. Could doing this one time get me banned? I'm glad that Sony is cracking down on people profiting off a free service, but hopefully, I don't get banned!

One time, no.

They're coming down on those who are charging money for it.

I actually think they've probably done what I've seen publishers do when they see review copies being sold on eBay pre-release, I think they've 'bought' the service from the sellers (with their own account) and then followed the IP it's been activated on and used that as a point of reference to catch those who are doing it and punish accordingly. That way they will have evidence of the illegal activities being performed, just in case the person doing it decides to try and take action against Sony for wrongful banning.

I don't know where people are getting this 'over 50 accounts' from either. That sounds like someone has pulled a figure out of their arse. If they catch you selling the service on eBay, it doesn't matter how many accounts you've done it for - you'll get punished just like the rest once they clock on to who you are. 

Next, we need them to target the people who sell platinum trophies on eBay as most of them simply use tools to illegally unlock them or simply resign saves to the payer's account which auto-unlocks the trophies. Some sellers actually charge more than the price of the game in order to unlock them! Don't people actually buy games to play and enjoy them anymore? I guess that's a different discussion though...

Edited by turniplord
  • Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 9:24 PM, Sergen said:

Until Sony can give every country in the world their own option to sign up for PSN or use a PSN store, they shouldn't ban people for using multi-region accounts. On top of that, when a game is only released in 1 region and not others they shouldn't be surprised that people will circumvent this and buy the game by creating another account for that region. South Africa is the only African country that can sign up for PSN, do they expect the other 53 countries in Africa to go without PSN because of their TOS? These articles specify how people are selling the opportunity to redeem the PS+ collection games, of course that is an offense that warrants a ban and I guess it'd be suspicious when the same console logs into other people's accounts countless times and the only thing they do is redeem the PS+ collection, your console logs are sent to Sony for them to review and this would definitely be a red flag to them if they pay attention to your activity. I can say that it'd probably liberate me to be banned from PSN, I'd gladly move on and play PC games and sell all my systems if Sony decides to ban me after my years of using their platforms. They've been extremely anti-consumer recently from removing PS3 and vita from the web store on PSN to requiring you to own a PS5 to claim things from PS+, a lot of people who wanted a PS5 didn't have the time to pre-order it when they kept being sold out in seconds and websites that had more stock were crashing due to the high volume of visitors.

Mutli accounts are fine, some of us move countries every year. It's just these free games for PS5 and let's face it, they are all old and you could probably buy them for a few $ anyway. 

On 11/27/2020 at 4:23 AM, Shizo said:

It's stupid, that they lock those games behind PS5 in the first place, when both PS4 and PS5 owners paying same amount for PS+.

I have PS5 and I wouldn't mind if PS4 users would have access to PS Plus Collection. Once again, bullshit and arrogant decision from Sony. Microsoft doesn't lock parts of Game Pass exclusively to Series X|S.

The bans just seem petty and overreaction.

Agreed. I wished Sony would take a page out of MS’s Game Pass and unify both plus and PS Now. Locking them separately is beyond stupid. 

4 minutes ago, Mostwantedtbest said:

So if I activate my friend's account for PS Plus (not the games, for online play) would I get temp ban?

No, the ban was most likely caused by the 50+ log ins in a short amount of time.

I had someone I know claim the games for me and my account & his PS5 are fine.

13 hours ago, turniplord said:

I actually think they've probably done what I've seen publishers do when they see review copies being sold on eBay pre-release, I think they've 'bought' the service from the sellers (with their own account) and then followed the IP it's been activated on

That method is excessively tedious when they easily have the system identifier, license identifier, and account identifiers all present and control the transaction on their own network every time this is executed. Being the host, license issuer, and system maker gives them a vertical monopoly of control. 

And the 50 accounts figure is what was repeatedly reported in the related articles. They don't need to police ebay, they handle every transaction on PSN themselves and can monitor for these things if they choose.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:23 AM, Shizo said:

It's stupid, that they lock those games behind PS5 in the first place, when both PS4 and PS5 owners paying same amount for PS+.

I have PS5 and I wouldn't mind if PS4 users would have access to PS Plus Collection. Once again, bullshit and arrogant decision from Sony. Microsoft doesn't lock parts of Game Pass exclusively to Series X|S.

On the other hand, I don't have a PS5 and I am glad that upgraders or first-time Playstation owners will get some awesome games. Comparing Game Pass to PS+ seems a bit uneven to me -- this is a different story if the collection was on PS Now but only for PS5 owners.

I also don't think this collection would have worked for both PS4 + PS5. Sony offers the collection, but all of the studios with included games had to agree. My guess is (a) Sony pays the studios some amount, %, etc. to include their games, and/or (b) the studios are interested in attracting new gen players (for free or fraction of a game sale price) who might have otherwise skipped their titles, but now have more awareness & consideration for the future. Including PS4 would basically eliminate each title's digital sales. This would either not interest the studios or cost Sony more per title, and result in a smaller and less notable collection. I think the related bans are understandable.

Not to discount this opinion, just another perspective.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, Shizo said:

You're comparing apples to oranges.

The PS Plus collection is an extra incententive/bonus for people buyung the PS5 at launch. Chances are it will eventually be made available to PS4 players down the line. You also own the PS Plus titles after downloading them as with any other monthly PS Plus game. Even if your subscription lapses, once you resubscribe they're still linked to your account.

Game Pass is a little different as Microsoft rotates games in and out on a monthly basis. You do not own the games, as when they disappear from the service you can no longer play them for free. It's more equivalent to Netflix in that way.

Besides which, these people aren't just flipping the games on to there own PS4s, they are selling them to non-PS5 owners on eBay for a profit. They are selling their licenes to third parties online, it's actually illegal. Just like burning Blu-Rays, CDs etc. and selling them to third parties is illegal. Sony has every right to ban users who are breaching their terms of use, as any other company would. These people should be relieved they're not getting hit with a lawsuit.

Edited by that_dude_cam_ps

4 hours ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

You're comparing apples to oranges.

The PS Plus collection is an extra incententive/bonus for people buyung the PS5 at launch. Chances are it will eventually be made available to PS4 players down the line. You also own the PS Plus titles after downloading them as with any other monthly PS Plus game. Even if your subscription lapses, once you resubscribe they're still linked to your account.

What I am saying that it shouldn't be. It should be available for everyone, be it PS4 or PS5 owners. They both pay same amount for PS+. Also the excuse about "brining new players to PlayStation" doesn't mean exclusively to PS5. How many parents will buy cheap PS4 these holidays for their kids? Aren't they "new PlayStation players"? Wouldn't it be awesome for them to also have access to this collection of games to experience best of the generation?

There is no need for any incentive to buy PS5. It would sell out instantly even if it didn't have PS+ Collection and you would get personal "Fuck you, idiot" note from Sony in the box. People would still buy it from retail or scalpers, since it's sold out at retail. There is no need for any incentive. Even Sony realize that and they worded their reasoning to "New PlayStation players" instead of "New PS5 owners". Which is bullshit anyway.

I can't understand people defending shitty corporate overlords and shilling their shitty practices for free on the internet. Truly a cult.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shizo said:

What I am saying that it shouldn't be. It should be available for everyone, be it PS4 or PS5 owners. They both pay same amount for PS+. Also the excuse about "brining new players to PlayStation" doesn't mean exclusively to PS5. How many parents will buy cheap PS4 these holidays for their kids? Aren't they "new PlayStation players"? Wouldn't it be awesome for them to also have access to this collection of games to experience best of the generation?

There is no need for any incentive to buy PS5. It would sell out instantly even if it didn't have PS+ Collection and you would get personal "Fuck you, idiot" note from Sony in the box. People would still buy it from retail or scalpers, since it's sold out at retail. There is no need for any incentive. Even Sony realize that and they worded their reasoning to "New PlayStation players" instead of "New PS5 owners". Which is bullshit anyway.

I can't understand people defending shitty corporate overlords and shilling their shitty practices for free on the internet. Truly a cult.

Obviously demand for the PS5 is unprecedented, that's in part due to their marketing. "New PlayStation players" is obviously just marketing speak for people jumping in with the PlayStation 5. Their marketing is geared towards parents buying their kids a brand new console with backwards compatibility and incentivizing them to subscribe to PS Plus to have immediate access to the greatest games of the past generation.

Why would Sony incentivize anyone to buy a 7 year old PS4? They're practically giving them away on Black Friday at this point. Why would they gift you 20 games on top of the ridiculous deal you're already getting? That doesn't make sense from a business perspective and yes, Sony is a business. So yeah, they're trying to maximize profit. That doesn't make it wrong, "shitty" or immoral. On the other hand, the people who got banned were doing something illegal. So yeah, I am defending Sony here.

Now EA and 2K are another discussion entirely, they have truly shady and indefensible business practices.

Also, I feel like you harbor a lot of hate for a company you've obviously invested a lot of money and time in, just judging by your PSNP.

If you're so disgusted, why are you still supporting them? Why did you by a PS5 day one? Why are you stacking trophy lists by buying the same game multiple times?

Looks to me like you're part of the "cult" you're ranting about. Just saying.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

Why would Sony incentivize anyone to buy a 7 year old PS4?

Because Sony makes 70%+ of their money on PS+ subs, PS Store purchases and microtransactions cut. Every game in next 2 years will be cross-gen and majority of people will still play on PS4. People will get PS4 because they don't care about "4K" or "120Hz" or any other shit. They will get their kids cheap 1080p TV, cheap PS4 so they can play Fortnite and other cheap games on PS4. Fortnite, GTA5 and Warzone microtransactions made more for Sony in 2020 than their first party games by the way since they take 30% cut from them on PSN. I assume, their digital services over the lifespan of PS4 made them more money than their 1st party games and HW sales combined.

They don't give a shit, if people buy new console or not, they want people to buy digital games, pay for PS+ and pay for microtransactions in Fortnite and Call of Duty. New consoles just there to cash in on same people who bought PS4 before, so they can buy PS5 again now and buy new "HD remasters" and "remakes" all over again for the third time, don't yopu want to play GTA5 again now on PS5? Free upgrades? Nah, pay for PS5 re-re-release.

Your logic is flawed and you base your whole argument on early adopters and "geeks". Normal people look at both consoles, see both of them have exact same games, but one is "4K" and "120Hz" and not even available anywhere. Other one is cheap one available everywhere for fraction of price. They know their kid wants to play Minecraft and Fortnite, and they don't even know what 4K or 120hz means, so they buy cheap PS4 for their kid. Those people will make exact same amount of money to Sony as people buying PS5, since Sony sells PS5 at a loss. But those people buy 1 year of PS+, maybe some games on sale and vbucks for Fortnite, which does make Sony ton of money.

Edited by Shizo

1 hour ago, Shizo said:

Because Sony makes 70%+ of their money on PS+ subs, PS Store purchases and microtransactions cut. Every game in next 2 years will be cross-gen and majority of people will still play on PS4. People will get PS4 because they don't care about "4K" or "120Hz" or any other shit. They will get their kids cheap 1080p TV, cheap PS4 so they can play Fortnite and other cheap games on PS4. Fortnite, GTA5 and Warzone microtransactions made more for Sony in 2020 than their first party games by the way since they take 30% cut from them on PSN. I assume, their digital services over the lifespan of PS4 made them more money than their 1st party games and HW sales combined.

They don't give a shit, if people buy new console or not, they want people to buy digital games, pay for PS+ and pay for microtransactions in Fortnite and Call of Duty. New consoles just there to cash in on same people who bought PS4 before, so they can buy PS5 again now and buy new "HD remasters" and "remakes" all over again for the third time, don't yopu want to play GTA5 again now on PS5? Free upgrades? Nah, pay for PS5 re-re-release.

Your logic is flawed and you base your whole argument on early adopters and "geeks". Normal people look at both consoles, see both of them have exact same games, but one is "4K" and "120Hz" and not even available anywhere. Other one is cheap one available everywhere for fraction of price. They know their kid wants to play Minecraft and Fortnite, and they don't even know what 4K or 120hz means, so they buy cheap PS4 for their kid. Those people will make exact same amount of money to Sony as people buying PS5, since Sony sells PS5 at a loss. But those people buy 1 year of PS+, maybe some games on sale and vbucks for Fortnite, which does make Sony ton of money.

I love how triggered you're getting over nothing. Seriously though, you're on here bashing Sony like a bad break up and yet you already own a PS5 and a Sony first party title. Sooooo yeah.

The OP's topic is "Sony temp banning users who buy PS Plus Collection from sellers". Bottom line is it serves them right and Sony has every right to do so, be it due to violation of their terms, or simply because it's illegal. You're just going off for no reason and it's kind of amusing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, that_dude_cam_ps said:

I love how triggered you're getting over nothing. Seriously though, you're on here bashing Sony like a bad break up and yet you already own a PS5 and a Sony first party title. Sooooo yeah.

The OP's topic is "Sony temp banning users who buy PS Plus Collection from sellers". Bottom line is it serves them right and Sony has every right to do so, be it due to violation of their terms, or simply because it's illegal. You're just going off for no reason and it's kind of amusing.

How am I triggered?

Just because I bash Sony shitty practices and their mindless drones who eat Sony's bullshit with a shit eating green? I own PS5, because I want to play Demon's Souls, not because it's fucking good platform. You are treating PS5 like a fucking holy grail, when it's a garbage hardware inferior compared to Xbox Series X in every way, with shitty half-baked buggy UI, "fuck you, plebs" PS+ collection that treats paying PS4 customers like garbage by gatekeeping it from them.

Imagine shilling for any corporation, especially one like Sony under Jim Ryan and fighting in console wars. They are pissing in your face, and you just go "Thank you, Sony, god bless you! I will buy PS5 as soon as it's in stock". I bashed Microsoft under Don Matrick and shitfest that Xbox One and Kinect was. But I really like Microsoft under Phil Spencer, they really are doing great work. Look at any feedback about Microsoft published games in early 2010s and today. PC players, most "picky" and "pro-consumer" of all platforms, bashed Microsoft at any chance and shat on whole Windows Store and Games for Windows for years. Now look at PC players feedback about Microsoft now, it's not easy to get into good grace with PC players. Epic still gets shit on for their Epic Store buying exclusives even if they give free AAA games out every month, no one still uses them over Steam. And Phil did actually earned trust and respect of PC crowd.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Shizo said:

How am I triggered?

Just because I bash Sony shitty practices and their mindless drones who eat Sony's bullshit with a shit eating green? I own PS5, because I want to play Demon's Souls, not because it's fucking good platform. You are treating PS5 like a fucking holy grail, when it's a garbage hardware inferior compared to Xbox Series X in every way, with shitty half-baked buggy UI, "fuck you, plebs" PS+ collection that treats paying PS4 customers like garbage by gatekeeping it from them.

Imagine shilling for any corporation, especially one like Sony under Jim Ryan and fighting in console wars. They are pissing in your face, and you just go "Thank you, Sony, god bless you! I will buy PS5 as soon as it's in stock". I bashed Microsoft under Don Matrick and shitfest that Xbox One and Kinect was. But I really like Microsoft under Phil Spencer, they really are doing great work. Look at any feedback about Microsoft published games in early 2010s and today. PC players, most "picky" and "pro-consumer" of all platforms, bashed Microsoft at any chance and shat on whole Windows Store and Games for Windows for years. Now look at PC players feedback about Microsoft now, it's not easy to get into good grace with PC players. Epic still gets shit on for their Epic Store buying exclusives even if they give free AAA games out every month, no one still uses them over Steam. And Phil did actually earned trust and respect of PC crowd.

Dude, calm down.

• Like 3