SaGa Frontier Remastered announced, launches April 15

Suminya

This is such fantastic news. I remember I played this back when it came out but I was far too young and I'm sure a lot of things (from mechanics to story beats) went over my head back then. I don't think I even "finished" the game. Not all the scenarios at least. I was either too dumb (some things never change though) or the game too obtuse, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Day 1.

I didn't play this back then but I'm more tempted by this than modern SquarEnix productions.

I also would really love to think this is a sign of more Squaresoft era games coming to modern platforms as remaster or re-release (I don't really care as long as they respect the original) but I can't get my hopes up too much. It's SquarEnix behind this now xD

• 3 weeks later...

I still have the Brady guide to this one. 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:11 PM, Okoteiru said:

I didn't play this back then but I'm more tempted by this than modern SquarEnix productions.

I also would really love to think this is a sign of more Squaresoft era games coming to modern platforms as remaster or re-release (I don't really care as long as they respect the original) but I can't get my hopes up too much. It's SquarEnix behind this now xD

Saga Frontier is...different. You’ve been warned.?

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 11:17 AM, sepheroithisgod said:

I really can't wait to play this. It still remains one of my favorite games of all time. I'm gonna try to line it up as my 350th platinum. I hope Saga Frontier 2 is next.

You know, I fired up Saga Frontier recently. It’s really not so bad to play even now. And it has fantastic music.

Saga Frontier 2 is the game I hate...and I hate that I hate it. It’s got great music, great graphics, a great story, but God - what an unbalanced mess if a game. The Battle of South Moundtop is the worst.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

You know, I fired up Saga Frontier recently. It’s really not so bad to play even now. And it has fantastic music.

Saga Frontier 2 is the game I hate...and I hate that I hate it. It’s got great music, great graphics, a great story, but God - what an unbalanced mess if a game. The Battle of South Moundtop is the worst.

I remember going through Saga frontier 2 a few years back, The Battle of south Moundtop is definitely badly designed, but the rest of the game is great. I still play Saga Frontier on my phone (through emulator), I'm looking forward to the new scenario as Fuse.

omg I did not realise there were other people who liked SaGa Frontier 1 and 2, always felt like Square's "B games" compared to all the other RPG franchises they had. Compared to the stuff Squaresoft makes these days though they seem much better.

SaGa Frontier 1 had some great battle music but I mean let's face it, the game is like 95% fighting as the story is for the most part for each character, really quite short, virtually non existent a lot of the time and a lot of the sub questy sort of areas are honestly really mashed together in several people's story.

I think this was the game I played right after Final Fantasy VII as I had just got into RPG by then. Took me a while to get into, but battle grinding in this game I found to be pretty fun. Fun enough to fill 14 slots of my 15 slot Playstation 1 memory card anyway to have a final save for every character.

I always wanted to have an 8th save for Blue's rival.

But yeah, man what a weird choice to bring this one back, when things like Parasite 1, Parasite Eve 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Xenogears, Chrono Cross etc are not remastered yet.

Yes, same issue about SaGa Frontier 2, this was before I had the Internet, completed the game but I got stuck at that one battle which I swear is impossible and of course had to miss out on various chapters of the game after that mounttop battle. Also the game did some real dick moves to you, like I had William Knights super powered up but then in the next chapter he returns as an old man, and when I say old man, it's basically a whole new character with new stats and underlevelled hit points, new character from scratch basically. Due to how recommended it was to over level up before moving into a new area on the first game I did lots of grinding early on in the second, only to have a character for a while and then never having access to them ever again due to the story casually "Anyway in Ye old tales, 50 years into the future and now this happens" and then leaving characters you used all in the past to never be used ever again.

Chapter 2 - Billy Bob defeats a monster story

Story lasts for 5 minutes, 4 hours later grinded and defeat the monster

Chapter 3 - Billy Bob passed away from old age and now you're his third son Dave Diggins

Whhaaatt!

I also did not like the way the last boss on SaGa Frontier 2 takes about 4 hours to die. Well it seemed like that anyway.

Great games in their own way but wow, they are certainly an acquired taste. I already expect rant threads posted about it on these forums in the future. "This game is terrible".

If they bring out the 2nd Saga Frontier, and one trophy is for that stupid impossible moundtop battle, then well, I think I might skip that one. The first SaGa Frontier is not really all that hard, just a whole ton of grinding to get everyone as close to 999hp as possible, building up tag team attacks and buying some of those strong sword weapons with your money from the shops.

Honestly though, not sure if in my middle age life I have time for this game anymore, especially since I have better games like FF8 and FF9 that I already have bought and have yet to start.

Will have to see though. The double speed battle mechanic is perking my interest though.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

https://press.na.square-enix.com/SQUARE-ENIX-ANNOUNCES-THE-RETURN-OF-TWO-CLASSIC-JRPG-ADVENTURES-FROM-T

Part of the ongoing SaGa Project from Square Enix that has so far included Western releases of Romancing SaGa 3, SaGa Scarlet Grace: Ambitions, and Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe, SaGa Frontier Remastered will be available on the Nintendo Switch system, the PlayStation 4 system, PC (Steam), and iOS and Android mobile devices on April 15. This game will include upgraded graphics optimized for modern platforms to bring the game’s characters to life like never before.

Players will experience this role-playing adventure as one of eight heroes via the Free-Form Scenario System. Each character has their own storyline and goals, exploring the sci-fi fantasy universe known as “The Regions” in different ways while discovering unique worlds, technology, and magic. The remaster will also build upon the original title’s multiple storylines by introducing previously cut content, including Fuse’s main scenario and several new events for fan-favorite character Asellus.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, G4Knight said:

Of all games to return to tho...

From the original PlayStation...

Not Vagrant Story, Einhander, Brave Fencer Musashi, or even Xenogears. Very strange.

Square seems very interested in touching into the backlog so if this is successful then maybe more titles will come as well. I've invested in many of these remasters and remakes for that reason..at the end of the day we are voting with our wallets.