Man of Medan based of a movie/inspired by

I recently watched a movie called “Ghost Ship” which was released in 2002. I believe Man of Medan was GREATLY based on this film. I don’t think many people know this so I’d like to share it with you guys.

The developers said their game was only based of an old urban legend about a ship, called the SS Ourang Medan. It sunk cause of an explosion and bodies were found with “twisted” faces as if they saw something and died from fear.

The movie “Ghost Ship” was based on a real story of a ship, called the SS Andrea Doria. The ship collapsed into another ship, causing the gas tanks to tear and it started sinking and was completely under water after 11 hours.

Now, after watching this movie I saw so many similarities, I mean really, SO MANY! It looks like Man of Medan copied Ghost Ship but just not enough to avoid copyrights. (?) - I have no clue to what extend copyrights works but it seems logical to me. Its like a mix from the urban legend and the movie.

So if you guys are curious to see a movie just like this game, you should definitely watch it!

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 1:17 AM, LoveInHell said:

I recently watched a movie called “Ghost Ship” which was released in 2002. I believe Man of Medan was GREATLY based on this film. I don’t think many people know this so I’d like to share it with you guys.

The developers said their game was only based of an old urban legend about a ship, called the SS Ourang Medan. It sunk cause of an explosion and bodies were found with “twisted” faces as if they saw something and died from fear.

The movie “Ghost Ship” was based on a real story of a ship, called the SS Andrea Doria. The ship collapsed into another ship, causing the gas tanks to tear and it started sinking and was completely under water after 11 hours.

Now, after watching this movie I saw so many similarities, I mean really, SO MANY! It looks like Man of Medan copied Ghost Ship but just not enough to avoid copyrights. (?) - I have no clue to what extend copyrights works but it seems logical to me. Its like a mix from the urban legend and the movie.

So if you guys are curious to see a movie just like this game, you should definitely watch it!

Yeah I watched the movie it's a crap movie don't like it at all, but game is fun and enjoyable ?

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ghost Ship was the first thing I thought of back when I first learned of 'Man of Medan', when this game was still in its marketing phase. The premise, the trailer reminded me of the movie though not to the point that I suspected blatant copying. I also haven't played the game because Unreal Engine 4 felt like a visual-downgrade, coming from the Decima Engine used in Until Dawn.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow it has been 19 years since Ghost Ship came out!? I really enjoyed it as I recall and that opening scene with the wire, still one of the best openings I have ever seen. 

Gushing aside, there a definite themes that influenced Man of Medan IMO but it was not based off it.

Now I really want to watch it again, been probably a decade since I last saw it.

The wiki is a lot more entertaining than Ghost Ship imo. You should give it a read  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan.

It’s most likely not a true story like some have said in this thread. There is a lot of skepticism if it is true or not (also mentioned in the wiki)

I watched Ghost Ship back in the day when it was new and all I remember was titties. Might have been because I was a teenager back then ?

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, Quink666 said:

The wiki is a lot more entertaining than Ghost Ship imo. You should give it a read  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan.

It’s most likely not a true story like some have said in this thread. There is a lot of skepticism if it is true or not (also mentioned in the wiki)

I watched Ghost Ship back in the day when it was new and all I remember was titties. Might have been because I was a teenager back then 1f600.png

Thanks for sharing that Wiki. It was an interesting read.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...