Can I do this solo?

whittle181

I'm new to this gaming series, and wanted to know if I can get the platinum by doing everything in the game on my own without the help of teaming with online players? Please note this excludes the 5 online only trophies which involve using the flare / completing 100 multiplayer quests / collecting guild cards.

If you're insanely good at this type of game and don't mind an even bigger grind than the 800+ hours in the guide, I'd say you MIGHT have a chance, but you will need some help with a couple of multiplayer only trophies...

That said: the game is a LOT better with friends. 

Edited by Milkyray
Spelling
  • Like 1

Certainly possible in terms of difficulty, but you'll probably want to team up for the sake of efficiency/time. You don't have to find a dedicated team or partner though as players can queue into single hunts easily in MHW.

Some multiplayer factors regarding difficulty:

• Monster HP scales with more players. 150% for 2 players, 220-260% for 3+ players. That said, you will find most hunts quicker with companions.
  • When alone you are joined by your Palico (AI companion) and can have an additional "tailrider" join you. 2 players each have their Palico, but no tailriders. 3+ players will have no AI companions. So even when alone, you won't be entirely singled out by a monster.
  • KO's (typically 3 allowed per hunt) are shared for your team, so more players also introduces more risk of failure in a sense.

That said, you may find it quicker to join active hunts that you see for quests or monsters you need or want-- especially with the volume/RNG grind for crown trophies. Likewise, you could reliably (at least when I played in the past year) count on people to join your SOS, which can be fired immediately on hunts where you want a team. 

On the other hand, some more difficult hunts were more easily done alone even if it was slower, as you get 3 attempts without worrying about a big party wipe or a player that dies multiple times. If you get stuck on a mission with a team, consider stocking up items and banging it out yourself.

Edited by Ya_Boy_James
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I just got the platinum today and I did everything solo except the MP which my friend helped me grind on an alt thanks to PS Plus Collection.

It took me a little over 200 hours spread over a year and a month. Its not difficult its just a battle of will. The grind is real and it starts to get mentally draining, I had several breaks and went onto other games for a while.

You can get the Platinum while solo'ing the entire game. But you're going to have a tough time in doing so.

Spoiler

- The Ancient forest monsters are not that tough and are incredibly easy to complete on your own up until the mission where you have to fight Anjanath it gets harder and harder with Rathalos and Tobi-Kadachi.

- The Wildspire Waste monsters are doable with the exception of Diablos and Rathian which are somewhat harder.

- The coral highlands monsters are okay'ish. Legiana is the hardest, Paolumu and Tzitzi are pretty easy.

- The Rotten Vale monsters are a pain because there's a lot of toxic fumes damaging you and the monsters down here are all pretty fast and can hit you pretty hard. Especially Odogaron.

- A little after that you'll get to High Rank quests making the monsters even tougher and adding some monsters that are going to give you an extremely hard time. Bazelgeuse en Deviljho are good examples but Black Diablos, Azure Rathalos and Pink Rathian are hard as well.

- Elder's Recess monsters are doable as well with the big exception of the Elder Dragons. Nergigante, Teostra, Vaal Hazak and Kushala are going to give you a wild ride and get stronger the more damage they'll take.

- The Final boss in the base game (so without Iceborne, assuming you don't have that for now) is Xeno'jiiva. You have my utter respect if you can complete this boss within 50 minutes solo. He's big, fast and strong making him comparable with a Dark Souls boss in some cases (not necessarily by difficulty but by size, his attacks and the damage he deals).

To add to this there are trophies that require you to kill 50 elder dragons, 50 tempered monsters and complete 50 arena quests. With the exception of the latter (since Great Jagras arena can be done 50 times and it would count) those trophies are going to put you down A LOT of times. Try fighting a tempered Deviljho or Nergigante on your own.......

Concluding the above: It is possible to solo the entire game and get the platinum trophy but the longer you play, the harder it gets. As the person above me states as well it mentally drains you and if you don't take a break you will hate the game a lot (I hate Elder Dragons so much and I don't even play solo).

To give my very own opinion on this: Why even try to do this game solo? It's incredibly easy finding people to help you in the game and you can fire your SOS flare in any mission making other player able to join you. Also, you can start a mission, finish the cutscene and then leave and search for that same mission which another player started and join them. Honestly trying to play the entire end-game solo is like playing Dark Souls without wearing any armor and using a broken sword. You're just asking to get your ass kicked and frankly you might even deserve it.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

Man, when I read through this thread I feel like I'm a Pro or even a God at this game.

Guys, don't overdo it.  You can Solo it. Yes you would have a hard time like me, but it isn't that hard, just really time consuming.

I finished the game in nearly 200 Hours, probably 20% of them only for getting the crowns for Kirin.

Edited by Senitschnig
  • Like 2

I assume OP has already made up his mind but to those new people looking for advise;

5 hours ago, its_ArchroniX said:

You can get the Platinum while solo'ing the entire game. But you're going to have a tough time in doing so.

Reveal hidden contents

- The Ancient forest monsters are not that tough and are incredibly easy to complete on your own up until the mission where you have to fight Anjanath it gets harder and harder with Rathalos and Tobi-Kadachi.

- The Wildspire Waste monsters are doable with the exception of Diablos and Rathian which are somewhat harder.

- The coral highlands monsters are okay'ish. Legiana is the hardest, Paolumu and Tzitzi are pretty easy.

- The Rotten Vale monsters are a pain because there's a lot of toxic fumes damaging you and the monsters down here are all pretty fast and can hit you pretty hard. Especially Odogaron.

- A little after that you'll get to High Rank quests making the monsters even tougher and adding some monsters that are going to give you an extremely hard time. Bazelgeuse en Deviljho are good examples but Black Diablos, Azure Rathalos and Pink Rathian are hard as well.

- Elder's Recess monsters are doable as well with the big exception of the Elder Dragons. Nergigante, Teostra, Vaal Hazak and Kushala are going to give you a wild ride and get stronger the more damage they'll take.

- The Final boss in the base game (so without Iceborne, assuming you don't have that for now) is Xeno'jiiva. You have my utter respect if you can complete this boss within 50 minutes solo. He;s big, fast and strong making him comparable with a Dark Souls boss in some cases.

To add to this there are trophies that require you to kill 50 elder dragons, 50 tempered monsters and complete 50 arena quests. With the exception of the latter (since Great Jagras arena can be done 50 times and it would count) those trophies are going to put you down A LOT of times. Try fighting a tempered Deviljho or Nergigante on your own.......

Concluding the above: It is possible to solo the entire game and get the platinum trophy but the longer you play, the harder it gets. As the person above me states as well it mentally drains you and if you don't take a break you will hate the game a lot (I hate Elder Dragons so much and I don't even play solo).

To give my very own opinion on this: Why even try to do this game solo? It's incredibly easy finding people to help you in the game and you can fire your SOS flare in any mission making other player able to join you. Also, you can start a mission, finish the cutscene and then leave and search for that same mission which another player started and join them. Honestly trying to play the entire end-game solo is like playing Dark Souls without wearing any armor and using a broken sword. You're just asking to get your ass kicked and frankly you might even deserve it.

I have to disagree with this person. It isnt difficult solo'ing at all, nothing like darksouls. The game has been patched with I think its called defender armour and weapons. This armour/weapon set has been purposely put into the game to fast track you to Iceborne. I used nothing but those, maxed them out fully and had zero problems with any of the monsters.

34 minutes ago, Silocia said:

I assume OP has already made up his mind but to those new people looking for advise;

I have to disagree with this person. It isnt difficult solo'ing at all, nothing like darksouls. The game has been patched with I think its called defender armour and weapons. This armour/weapon set has been purposely put into the game to fast track you to Iceborne. I used nothing but those, maxed them out fully and had zero problems with any of the monsters.

I didn't say it was impossible, it's just hard. Dark Souls isn't impossible either, it's just hard. And funny you quote Dark Souls when I only used it in one sentence as a reference in my whole original post.....

The game is made for multiplayer so I just don't see the point of playing solo (like I said in my original post). And yes, defender armor helps you out but fighting a tempered elder dragon still is a challenge to behold, defender gear or not.

And I do not believe you had 'no problem' with the monsters whatsoever. I often get joined by players from Hr999 who have all the weapon variants available on a Nergigante hunt, stun him with a single hit and they still get their butts kicked by it and faint (especially in the last part when Nergi charges up) let alone a tempered Nergigante or worse.

Either you're a really, really good player or you have a crazy amount of luck to not get hit by the finishing blows at all in arena and by tempered monsters. I won't call you a liar because I can't prove anything but out of experience (and I have been playing since launch day in 2017) I know it can't be that easy.

Edited by its_ArchroniX

1 minute ago, its_ArchroniX said:

I didn't say it was impossible, it's just hard. Dark Souls isn't impossible either, it's just hard. And funny you quote Dark Souls when I only used it in one sentence as a reference in my whole post.....

The game is made for multiplayer so I just don't see the point of playing solo (like I said in my OP). And yes, defender armor helps you out but fighting a tempered elder dragon still is a challenge to behold, defender gear or not.

And I do not believe you had 'no problem' with the monsters whatsoever. I often get joined by players from HR999 who have all the weapon variants available on a Nergigante hunt and they still get their butts kicked by it and faint (especially in the last part when Nergi charges up) let alone a tempered Nergigante or worse. Either you're a really, really good player or you have a crazy amount of luck to not get hit at all. I won't call you a liar cause I can't prove anything but out of experience I know it can't be that easy.

I wasnt throwing shade at you, I'm just being realistic with that, those weapons and armour maxed the game poses no real issue in regards to monsters. The armour set gives you more health among other stuff and I main'd the insect glaive. I'm not at all a really good player its just not that difficult with those armours, again they put it into the game so that you can essentially run to iceborne. 

The game is made harder when you go into multiplayer verses solo. Even if you have 2 people the monsters scale to if you had 4. Keeping your Palico with the healing gadget and craft your own potions nothing in the base game is going to cause much of an issue.

5 hours ago, Silocia said:

The game is made harder when you go into multiplayer verses solo. Even if you have 2 people the monsters scale to if you had 4. Keeping your Palico with the healing gadget and craft your own potions nothing in the base game is going to cause much of an issue.

A friend told me they patched the game after Iceborne was released that monsters scale for 2 people less than for 4 people?!

I believe it was the patch before Iceborne came out. Originally it would scale the health to 4 players as soon as a 2nd player joined the hunt. After the patch it scales the health to the number of players now.

This game is certainly solo-able (excluding the multiplayer trophies) it will just take a couple of attempts at certain monsters. As @Silocia pointed out when Iceborne was release every player was given a set of armor and weapons called "Defender" which is end-game gear. It's not the best gear in the base game but its better than you would get until 80-100 hours in.
The caveat is that you miss out on the cool gear progression and working towards a hodgepodge build of all the materials that you can find.

This is the best monster hunter game to date. I really hope you do pick it up and enjoy it! a lot of grinding for RNG crowns though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My two cents about friends in MHW. Having just recently platted this game, I have a few thoughts about this topic. I would recommend going in with (1) other person you really trust, someone who does their homework, and do the plat with a mix of dual and solo play. There are also still plenty of very talented players who invite the public into their sessions that will work for you. For instance, someone ranked 999 may have their gold/silver Teostra investigation open: Join that for a shot at a crown and other things you might need, like XP, materials, and quests completed. You also may learn some good strategies. 

I recommend crown farming (sniping) solo or with one other. Once you are at three/four players, you lose your Palicoes and their buffs and the delta scale may wipe additional players who are senselessly aggressive. We definitely lost crowns we would have scored with just one/two players. 

If you are crown sniping, sharing investigations with one other player helps. If you have something close, invite your friend, compare measurements, and go for it. 

I probably soloed 85% of this. Upgrade your gear and use the right charms. Eventually with practice you’ll be able to kill most of the monsters around 5 minutes or faster without the Iceborne gear others contend is mandatory at this point. I consider myself an average but determined gamer. I did NOT dip into Iceborne for power/gear. I completed the MHW plat with MHW power. I did pop a few ambient Iceborne trophies on my journey towards the MHW plat, but I never started any Iceborne main quest lines until I nailed down plat. 

A final caution about larger groups: The risks go up dramatically for unfounded pet theories about the best methods to get crowns. Confirmation bias will likely become problematic. I recommend doing your homework, so to speak, and contrast your findings with other various good sources as they relate to the state of play in 2021. Otherwise, you’ll be dragged into such business as bronze/bronze investigations to keep the peace in your group, drawing out the time to plat, and avoiding other good content that can efficiently lead you to plat to make others happy. With two players we were killing the base game elder dragons in minutes with the proper builds. Shout out to @Vtull for his assistance with this plat. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely can do this game solo, especially with Defender armor/weapons. I've played several Monster Hunters so I was ready for the normal MH grind but the Defender Set made progression kind of trivial. The defender set only gets outclassed by tempered elder equipment (situational to the hunt target, defender is still very good for use in the broad majority of situations) and Iceborne equipment (which vastly outclasses everything before).

The only challenge lies end-game where Tempered Elders and some Event Quests will 1-2 shot you if you don't get specific gear/understand their moves and react quickly (looking at you Teostra , Lunastra, and Behemoth). I'd say those sections are medium difficulty if you were strictly solo (6/10) but you can pretty easily find someone to carry you with an SOS flare. If you can pick up Hunting Horn and play a defensive/support playstyle (have flashes, traps, group heals, group buffs, and run distractions for party if necessary) then you can still really help your carry!

• Like 1