PS4/PS5 Game Guides Unable to Rate it

Not sure if this has been noticed or mentioned yet, but specifically looking at the COD Black Ops Cold War guide.

It is listed as a PS4 guide, shows up under the PS5 trophy list, as it should as it's the same game, but i am unable to give it a star rating as it says i don't own the game.

I have the PS5 version.

I dont have any other cross generation games i can test other guides on as yet.

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 7:23 PM, the_game_nerd said:

Not sure if this has been noticed or mentioned yet, but specifically looking at the COD Black Ops Cold War guide.

It is listed as a PS4 guide, shows up under the PS5 trophy list, as it should as it's the same game, but i am unable to give it a star rating as it says i don't own the game.

I have the PS5 version.

I dont have any other cross generation games i can test other guides on as yet.

Regarding Game Linking and how it affects Guides

When games are linked, whether it be console releases or regional releases, the site is coded to pool all guide information assigned to each individual list that was made for those linked items. The guide page then displays that compiled list of all guides made for those releases/versions that are linked to one another. When we say linked releases, we mean any game in the "Other Platforms and Regions" that may appear under the forum topic list on a trophy list.

9DWZzO1.png

Shown here, you can see how guides get pooled together, and below, that it is due to the connection as explained above.

JtciUYH.png

On the trophy pages, the header guide that is auto-assigned will display across all game variants and will only feature the first published 'Trophy Guide' that was made for all the linked games. Sometimes this does cause issues and it has been asked if the GIT can manually assign the appropriate guide to the appropriate game. You can see how this is an issue by looking at Jetpack Joyride. Three trophy guides are made, all for a slightly different trophy list across vita, ps3 and ps4. Here is a link so that you can visualize this: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4527-jetpack-joyride.

HGCgWUY.png

As you can see in the above picture, the three linked games all display the guide that was specifically made for Vita because it was the first published 'Trophy Guide' of the games linked.

Why does this happen?

Well, simply put, when the site was made it was not really common for games to release in multiple regions as they do currently and so it was never accounted for in the development of the feature. Of course these days, you cannot go so much as a week without seeing a double stack of some nature whether it be regional or platform based. So when the guides were made back then, typically it was expected that it would only ever have had a single list. Clearly that is no longer the case though lol. :shakefist:

When will this be fixed?

The team doesn't really know. Only Sly has access to the source code and so only Sly can create a permanent fix to the problem. He is aware of the issues and so is the team, and it has been said by him that it is on a to-do list of things. Where approximately in that list would this fix be? Sorry to say, but only Sly knows that answer. For the time being though, users will only be able to rate guides on the region that the guide was made for, as was stated earlier in this thread. I know this is not the solution you want to hear, but it is out of the Guide Teams control in this regard.

Edited by Dreggit
  • Like 2

Thank you for the reply. Even if there isn't an immediate solution or ETA on one, it's still helpful to hear back from someone.

18 hours ago, Dreggit said:

When will this be fixed?

The team doesn't really know. Only Sly has access to the source code and so only Sly can create a permanent fix to the problem. He is aware of the issues and so is the team, and it has been said by him that it is on a to-do list of things. Where approximately in that list would this fix be? Sorry to say, but only Sly knows that answer. For the time being though, users will only be able to rate guides on the region that the guide was made for, as was stated earlier in this thread. I know this is not the solution you want to hear, but it is out of the Guide Teams control in this regard.

I am all too familiar with this lol