Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

This is a legit question to the people who don't like these £4 sub 30 minute platinums.

I've seen countless fourms of people complaining and having a hissy fit over certain games and want playstation to do something about easy platinums and stacks. 

I don't understand why people complain as it doesn't affect the other platinums and the "value" and the trophy system.

So easy games have always been a thing but more prominent on the ps4 with the ratta games these games don't really devalue platinums as much as people think as if people only played "hard" games or long games they won't be impressive anymore just another easy game.

And even playstation exlusives are easy both spiderman games god of war 4 last of us 2 astro bot horizon zero dawn.

And people don't complain about the playstation exlusives.

So why do these people have to constantly judge the games people play 

It seems dumb to and i just can't understand this.

So please explain this 

(Please don't fight each other in the reply section and hopefully this forum doesn't get locked)

• Like 2

It's certainly an interesting stand that people take on the topic. If I was to take a shot at why it might annoy some people, is that in order to participate and compete on the leaderboards in any capacity, you need to buy and play these games. They often suck or are very average and can be done in a very short amount of time <1 hour of which someone could complete 30 of them before another person completed Spiderman. Giving and inequality of points for time spent. (The same argument as people indicating it artificially inflates your Trophy Level)

I would also like to hear other people take on this.
For me, I think I would enjoy competing on the Leaderboard. But the time & money commitment required and starting hunting in the ps4 generation have put me at such a disadvantage in a cumulative scoring system this site uses.

• Like 1

I think it really boils down to jealousy.  I definitely saw this with the advent of the achievement spam games on Steam.  A few years back on Steam there was a rise of games that would give 1000s of achievements in a matter of hours and would very much pad achievement counts.  A lot of people got mad about this and said it devalued achievements.  What they really meant was that the stat for achievement count doesn't mean as much.  What took many people years to earn could be earned in a single day due to these games.  I have just over 12k achievements earned on Steam.  3 achievement spam games can net that many achievements in less than a day.  What took me years to earn now seems like a low amount compared to many other people's profiles.

While it's not nearly as bad on PSN since Sony has kept to a pretty strict upwards limit on the max XP a game can give, it's a similar principle.  Since easy plats mean someone can get another plat in less time, it means they can reach milestones that used to take years to get in a matter of weeks or months.  Go look at the plats in 2020 topic, the creator of that topic is just shy of 100 plats earned this year.  100 plats used to be a pretty major milestone that would take years to earn, now it's doable in a year.  I joined this site back in 2016 and had under 20 plats then.  Now I'm getting close to 200 plats and nearly half of all my plats were earned just this year.  I can definitely see why it could make some people who have been trophy hunting for far longer and have a similar number of plats and trophies would be upset and want to come up with some way to feel better about their profiles. 

The other thing that could play a part is low self-esteem.  People who have a low self-esteem tend to try and raise themselves by lowering others around them.  On a site like this, trying to judge people's trophy quality is one way to do this.  The idea here is to make others look bad so they look better to the people around them.  Sadly it very rarely helps, but it is indeed a defense mechanism that exists in many.  I can even think of a few users who very likely fall into this category, though I'm not going to name any names here.  If they don't already realize it, the chances of them admitting to it and doing anything about it are slim anyhow.

• Like 3

I agree. You can’t compare easy plats like God of War 2018, The Last of Us, Astro Bot etc. to Ratalaika plats tho, lol. God of War etc. are easy plats yes but amazing games and it takes hours to complete it and you get a feel for the characters. Ratalaika games on the other hand can be completed in 30 minutes and it doesn’t require you to even complete the game sometimes, others like My Name is Mayo is just pressing x and thats it. But for people to make such a big deal out of it is funny to me now.

There are tons of interesting topics on here and people choose to discuss, have a whole internet war, on a forum post about easy plats. X’D I can’t help but laugh at these people, they obviously got nothing better to do.

I mean it was pretty recent a forumpost sky rocketed to almost 400 replies in 2 days cause of easy plats, thats insane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reinachii- said:

You actually think this? 

You have more plats than me, and a higher %. But, i feel no jealousy...

Maybe I am in denial?

I'm not saying jealousy that so and so has more than they do.  What I'm saying is that it would be more like being upset that I have more plats and a better completion when I've only been actively trophy hunting for half the time you have and got my first trophy over a year after you.  At the time I joined PSNP and started more actively trophy hunting I had 13 plats and you had 68 plats.  The jealousy I speak of is more along the lines of "this person was able to get the same/more plats and trophies than I did in less time, that's not fair"

Maybe jealousy isn't quite the right word for it, but I can't really think of another way to describe the exact feeling where your accomplishments seem to feel lesser somehow because someone else got there in less time by taking the easy route.  It's something that can happen in many places in life because many things aren't fair and attach a similar weight to two things that are not equal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Draps-1337 said:

I would also like to hear other people take on this.
For me, I think I would enjoy competing on the Leaderboard. But the time & money commitment required and starting hunting in the ps4 generation have put me at such a disadvantage in a cumulative scoring system this site uses.

The leaderboards are fun but it honestly boils down to the biggest bank account and having the most time once you hit a certain spot. I would like if psnp had leaderboards like truetrophies splitting it into different categories and genres (puzzle rpg action adventure) these would make it more fun for the type of games people enjoy the most

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AusLeviathan said:

Why complain about short and easy platinum trophies? For the same reason that people complain about the movement that society has taken to reward mediocrity. When I was a kid 15 years ago I came fourth place in a race and I got nothing, now you come tenth place and you'll get a ribbon. We're creating a world where no one is allowed to fail and if they do we tell them that's okay you still succeeded. The Incredibles said it best 'When everyone is special, no one will be", that's where we're heading.

11 hours ago, AusLeviathan said:

You bring up a good point about the everyone is a winner in athletic events 

Not sure if you remember this or heard about it when wonder woman was released and they obviously have to do marketing and they advertised it on a certain type of food protein bars obviously a out roar happened and had to change it by putting skinny chubby fat and obese women with the tag line anyone can be wonder woman like really.

I do admit the games i play and mostly got the platinum on are like take this when you're only 1/3 through the race 

But you do have "real" competition in alot of games and it doesn't take value away from said game 

First things first, people should only really care about their own personal entertainment and experience.  What other people do shouldn't concern them, unless they're directly effecting their game (ie. cheating in an online game).

That being said, too many intentionally easy games and easy trophies and easy platinum's does devalue the system (what little value it had).  It's a "trophy" system ffs, its main purpose is to show off and compare to others.  Especially for the people who put a lot of time and effort into theirs, I can understand the frustration of anything that might diminish what they've achieved in some way.

EDIT: Think of it like this, you win a marathon that you've trained all year for.  You beat everyone around you by miles... but for some reason, all those other people get trophies so big they can barely fit them in their cars, and you get a ribbon.  Yeah your ribbon says 1st place, if someone looks closely they'd know it's technically the more accomplished reward, a more humble person probably wouldn't care... but gamers aren't humble and it's eyebrow-raising at least that from a distance someone with 100 garbage plats might look better than someone with 15 really challenging ones.  It's not the "right" attitude to have I guess, but it's understandable.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

It's a "trophy" system ffs, its main purpose is to show off and compare to others.

I always thought of the trophies I've earned (ever since earning my first trophies in t-ball) were for me to remind me of what I earned. I didn't think trophies were inherently to be shown off and compared to others. Now I'm questioning if I've had a very unique experience growing up in that I never showed off or compared my trophies with others.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I always thought of the trophies I've earned (ever since earning my first trophies in t-ball) were for me to remind me of what I earned. I didn't think trophies were inherently to be shown off and compared to others. Now I'm questioning if I've had a very unique experience growing up in that I never showed off or compared my trophies with others.

I mean, in this case the built-in online "compare" features and showcases on your profile and various websites beg to differ... but everyone approaches things differently.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

I mean, in this case the built-in online "compare" features and showcases on your profile and various websites beg to differ... but everyone approaches things differently.

I get that Sony implemented a compare system, I was talking about trophies being inherently meant to be shown off and compared. I didn't realize you were only talking about PlayStation Trophies and not trophies as a thing in the real world.

20 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I get that Sony implemented a compare system, I was talking about trophies being inherently meant to be shown off and compared. I didn't realize you were only talking about PlayStation Trophies and not trophies as a thing in the real world.

See how being deceptively vague can cause people to put words in other peoples mouths? ;)

It is mostly about Playstation Trophies, since we're here on PSNProfiles.  Though I do feel like trophies are inherently meant to be shown off, perhaps not compared unless delivered ceremoniously along with others.  Otherwise your t-ball coach could've just signed a napkin and left it in your gear bag to the same effect.

EDIT: Case in point, why would Sony think to add it, why would basically all trophy/achievement systems have the ability to compare and why would people use it... if that isn't something we inherently want to do with them?

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

Personally I never cared about people playing games to obtain easy platinum trophies. Anybody is entitled to achieve platinum trophies how they see fit themself, I'm not going to complain but when I view other peoples' profiles I will formulate an idea about the type of trophy hunter before me. 

I think there are different kind of trophy hunters so is understandable there will be people that care and people the not care at all (like me). Honestly, I think both view as legitimate however complain come mostly from people that want to climb the leaderboard (i'm not stating it in a bad way). In conclusion all is up how much weight you give to trophies and trophy hunting per se

There has always been easy quick platiniums (though quick used to be 6 hours, now you get 30 min ones). What really annoys people I think is the sheer amount of stacks that these games have. It's not just easy quick platiniums either it should be said, even 200 hour platiniums get multiple regional platiniums.

However at the end of the day it is on Sony. Some games have numerous regional stacks while others don't. Some games give separate stacks to PS3/4/5/Vita while others give all a single stack. Then there is having a platinium or not. Recently played Death Come True which was a cool experience and it did not have a platinium... why? Sure it's like 1.5-2 hours, but there are games that take much less that have one. You even have cases like Cures of the Moon 1 having no platinum yet 2, a game with roughly the same level of content, does. There just appear to no longer be any rules at all (in the PS3/Vita era the idea put forward was full games would have platinums, shorter more bitesize stuff wouldn't, but that seems completely out of the window now). 

The chances of Sony actually merging stacks together and making it so that all future games have a single stack or at most only have multiple stacks if on multiple consoles is very slim, though them recently changing the trophy level system implies they care on some level however slight.

As for myself, I have a number of these easy platiniums. For the cheap price some of them can be nice diversions. Not all games need to be some 100 hour grand adventure of legend. I try to space them out now though so they don't clog up my list. I'm sure even those who do it would admit having loads of easy plats in a row is pretty ugly looking.

• Like 3