Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

On 1/12/2020 at 4:32 AM, ladynadiad said:

I think it really boils down to jealousy.  I definitely saw this with the advent of the achievement spam games on Steam.  A few years back on Steam there was a rise of games that would give 1000s of achievements in a matter of hours and would very much pad achievement counts.  A lot of people got mad about this and said it devalued achievements.  What they really meant was that the stat for achievement count doesn't mean as much.  What took many people years to earn could be earned in a single day due to these games.  I have just over 12k achievements earned on Steam.  3 achievement spam games can net that many achievements in less than a day.  What took me years to earn now seems like a low amount compared to many other people's profiles.

While it's not nearly as bad on PSN since Sony has kept to a pretty strict upwards limit on the max XP a game can give, it's a similar principle.  Since easy plats mean someone can get another plat in less time, it means they can reach milestones that used to take years to get in a matter of weeks or months.  Go look at the plats in 2020 topic, the creator of that topic is just shy of 100 plats earned this year.  100 plats used to be a pretty major milestone that would take years to earn, now it's doable in a year.  I joined this site back in 2016 and had under 20 plats then.  Now I'm getting close to 200 plats and nearly half of all my plats were earned just this year.  I can definitely see why it could make some people who have been trophy hunting for far longer and have a similar number of plats and trophies would be upset and want to come up with some way to feel better about their profiles. 

The other thing that could play a part is low self-esteem.  People who have a low self-esteem tend to try and raise themselves by lowering others around them.  On a site like this, trying to judge people's trophy quality is one way to do this.  The idea here is to make others look bad so they look better to the people around them.  Sadly it very rarely helps, but it is indeed a defense mechanism that exists in many.  I can even think of a few users who very likely fall into this category, though I'm not going to name any names here.  If they don't already realize it, the chances of them admitting to it and doing anything about it are slim anyhow.

It took me 7 years to have 99 platinums + some hard 100%s. Anyway, I do not understand why people buy trophies, it is pointless for me. At least, if these "games" were fun and enjoyable then it could be understandable, but besides that: people are trying to increase their ego and numbers with artificial platinum count.

Edited by Pottercito_
  • Like 1

On 26/08/2021 at 11:49 AM, Baranov_925 said:

Because it's better to have one, lovely wife that will be by your side forever (one hard platinum) than 10 secret lovers that you will forgot in next few months (10 easy platinums).

This is such a dumb analogy tho. So Ultra Rares are lovely wives, what if an account has 10 ultra rares? Do they have 10 lovely wives now? xD what if they're a hardcore gamer and have no easy plats? It's better to have a nice harem of loving wives and no secret lovers? xD Hey, if you're into Polyamory all the power to ya bud. 

I get where you're coming from, but come on man. 

Edited by MomentsInTime
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, MomentsInTime said:

This is such a dumb analogy tho. So Ultra Rares are lovely wives, what if an account has 10 ultra rares? Do they have 10 lovely wives now? xD what if they're a hardcore gamer and have no easy plats? It's better to have a nice harem of loving wives and no secret lovers? xD Hey, if you're into Polyamory all the power to ya bud. 

Well, at least you don't have a goat as your wife :D. Btw, by this analogy, I wanted to pointed out that quality > quantity. By explaining it on examples of wives and lovers, I tried to get as much likes as I could.

Not ultra rare but ones that are known as hard ones.

I was strictly giving an example of one wife against ten lovers so you can't choose anything over this.

And I'm against polyamory and other disgusting stuff.

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 2

On 1.09.2021 at 3:32 AM, MomentsInTime said:

BTW you know this is just a joke? 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:44 AM, Baranov_925 said:

Well, at least you don't have a goat as your wife :D. Btw, by this analogy, I wanted to pointed out that quality > quantity. By explaining it on examples of wives and lovers, I tried to get as much likes as I could.

Not ultra rare but ones that are known as hard ones.

I was strictly giving an example of one wife against ten lovers so you can't choose anything over this.

And I'm against polyamory and other disgusting stuff.

Poly is just the modern take on ppl wanting to feel good about sleeping around on their partners. Stuff is truely disgusting to to the very essence of love.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Poly is just the modern take on ppl wanting to feel good about sleeping around on their partners. Stuff is truely disgusting to to the very essence of love.

That's right. 

While you and your partner have every right to pursue this; they always end the same way and it is no coincidence. Younger people are terrified of commitment, so they gravitate toward this, naturally. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

31 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

That's right. 

While you and your partner have every right to pursue this; they always end the same way and it is no coincidence. Younger people are terrified of commitment, so they gravitate toward this, naturally. 

don't worry comrades, those poly people will die soon because of STD, still thinking that open relationships and banging everybody is good stuff

and maybe come back to prior question of this thread.

Edited by Baranov_925
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

That's right. 

Yup I actually I have 1st hand experience In how destructive this new age relationship style can be.

My gf(3 plus years) Was in a relationship with her(now) ex gf. Who basically guilt her into sleeping with other men she was hooking with on the internet.

They we’re doing threesomes n stuff, my gf told me she really didn’t like it cus the men came off very shallow(some were very abusive to them both) 

But her ex was so about having my gf love n surrport but was unwilling to commit to her so she kept hooking up with men(with and without my gf) 

Of course this just hurt my gfs feeling cus she was mostly lesbian and really loved her ex deeply.

Now this is the rough part, I ended up meeting her at work(my gf btw) and we talked a lot about nerdy shit(video games, anime, collectibles) and eventually deep stuff like, politics, the world, and relationships, so yeah we were getting close.

So one day she asked me to come over on the day we both had off and that was when I finally knew what was going on.

See she was very shy at 1st to me and even when we talked I could tell something was bothering her but wasn’t sure what the problem was.

She said she had a good relationship with her gf.

But nope after going over a few times I could tell the two had it bad.

Eventually, the topic of sex came up and her ex wanted to share me with my gf.

I not really wanting to not hurt her feelings cus I could tell this had happened in the past to her already said nah I’m good but I’m willing to see if maybe me n you could get to know each other better. I’m not saying I want to be your bf, but if it didn’t effect your relationship with your gf then maybe we can be more then just friends, idk(this was awkward for me cus I’m naturally a introvert) But this girl just seem different even if she was mostly into girls anyways.

After some dates, she of all ppl ask me if I’d like to be her bf(her face was hot red when she said those words) 

But I simply just said, you didn’t even need to ask me that, I think we both already knew we wanted this( yes my corny ass said these exact words)

Of course this just made her existing relationship with her ex worse due to jealousy. At one point her ex straight up said she had to break up with me or else.

Theres more to this story… a whole lot, but just know it was quite the ordeal, but I’d do it again for my gf, I love her and all that mushy shit lol.

So yeah don’t do poly guys it just leads to hurt feelings, and lots of uneeded heartbreak.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 2

Getting back to the original point - just play what you want to play. Doesn't matter how much it costs or how easy/hard it is to complete. It's YOUR money and YOUR time - if it entertains you, in whatever way, then it's done it's job. Judging someone on the games they play is like judging someone on the music or TV shows they like. Different strokes and all that, y'know? Personally, I don't mind what anyone else has played - they've paid for it and if they've had a blast doing so then all power to them.

TL:DR if you're having fun and not hurting anyone else, where's the problem?

• Like 1

If I had started trophy hunting in 2015, starting with only PS3 games, getting 100 platinum in a year would pretty much been doable. In 2009 or 2010, there was a much smaller games library, later we got japanese visual novels.

Still saying that the easy platinums do not make the difference, its the "normal" ones. And personally I cannot focus on easy platinums alone.

On 9/4/2021 at 0:39 PM, CelestialRequiem said:

That's right. 

I've worked with a lot of teenagers and young adults just entering college and the real world respectively. Listening to what some of them had to say, it is truly terrifying to hear what they think.

I'm not going to try to stereotype or generalize an entire group of people, but I definitely noticed the older generations having seemingly more balls and commitment to carry out their lives. Younger people are definitely more prone to take offense or claim to be upset when they see or read something. The entire transgender movement is being pushed out by the younger generation, while I approve that they deserve the same rights as anybody else, I don't approve of the actions they're taking.

Relationships now have the social media problem to deal with. We have hit the point where a simple good night kiss is seen as predatory. Yet younger people will gravitate towards instant gratification and dopamine hits.

It's one of many reasons why I respect the old guys, but don't love the young people.

Edited by AJ_Radio
made some typos
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Anybody can stack My Name is Mayo 387 times.

They can't, there aren't that many stacks of it. Not even a tenth of that number.

ryan-reynolds-smile.gif

Please recognize that I'm joking before clicking reply.

• Like 1

lol ZJ the Ball Level 4 is the popular game this week with 1.1k owners, the dev was able to earn more than 1k $ without doing anything lmao...

everything was so great till end of 2016, till 2018 was good enough yet, 2019 to 2020 was average, 2021 ? im throwing up ?

Another garbage released: "Love Choice", "Baseball Bout", "ZJ Ball Level 5" ??

Edited by Nelson_Otaku
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:55 PM, Unknown_v2_0 said:

took me 3 years to finally step off the hamster wheel and being slave to the system of the fast plats

Thank you for sharing your story and uniquely qualified perspective.  May I ask what prompted your decision to change?

Many posts in these threads advise gamers to stop hording easy plats, and I wonder if they are effective or ignored.  Seems that a person only corrects an unhealthy lifestyle due to a traumatic moment of self-awareness, not because a stranger says "You should stop drinking so much/overspending your budget/cheating on your spouse/stacking EZPZ games."

Rewind five years ago, before you decided to quit -- how would you have responded if people admonished you for region/platform-stacking Steins;Gate?

• Like 3

I can sort of see where Unknown is coming from. Five years ago the easiest platinums were those Japanese visual novels for the PS Vita that you had to physically import from Japan, which was very costly and only people who had lots of money could afford them.

The trophy hunting community is noticeably different now than it was five years ago. I can understand people at the top stacking easy games, but I don't understand why people at my world ranking are doing it.

I just did an easy game yesterday so I'm not saying don't play easy games. Getting multiple stacks for one game is basically overkill, as I found out when I did Sound Shapes a few years back. Money wasted and time wasted.