Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

3 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

Honestly I think part of the complain is people are giving money to developers that create bad games with easy trophies, therefore potentially making other developers copy that.

I mean I have seen some profiles... man people with 7 versions of the game, depending on region, that means that person bought 7 times that game. Meaning the dev is winning the same amount or more than some good games get.

Is creating a bad economy for the game development, meaning that if they can create a game that has an easy platinum and can be made in a month with just assests of the engine, means they will potentially win more money than a dude that spent years with a game, including the fact that those games get more attention than good games. There is nothing against those games, the problem for me is that people buy stacks of games, the problem is that Road Bustle probably won more money and more attention than other actually good games like ECHO or other games that you might like that not a lot of people has heard about.

I think that is part of it, another is that people that really care about leaderboards and I mean people that REALLY CARE, are basically pushed to just play shitty games and their 8 versions. I seen some people pass me on the leaderboards (not that I care much, but I like to look here and there sometimes) and the people that passed many of us in just one week you look at their profile and is just a sad profile, I think in a way that's damaging, imaging buying a new ps5 to play Road Bustle 7 times, then go for the crossword thing and the 8 other region version and then go for the next one and the next one.... that's just sad, so I think that's why people complain, a lot of reasons lol.

My complaints aren't so much for the players as they are for the developers cashing in on a low quality product. Having those stacks means you have to buy them multiple times, even if the games are crossbuy you still have to pay additional money for the regional stacks.

Thankfully the Nintendo Switch and Steam on the PC still has a majority of people buying the good indie games as opposed to shovelware, which was made popular on Steam, giving developers excuses to release buggy products that were still in their beta stages.

Ratalaika wasn't targeted by a gathering of trophy hunters for the games themselves, it was the trophy lists and the stacks. Road Bustle was done with very little effort, while good stuff like ECHO was barely talked about. I mean, a lot of indie games these days are played on Steam or the Nintendo Switch, but I remember games like Transistor being recognized on Sony platforms because Sony made a little effort to have it get seen by people.

Since Sony made the move to California, we've seen endless amounts of garbage games with little to no quality control. Prior to 2016, trophy lists for the most part were more complete and it was a lot more difficult to find a game that you can wrap up in a hours time or less. Sony has even made AAA games far more accessible with big titles like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart where you don't even have to grab all the collectibles. Contrast that with old games like Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which wasn't that hard of a platinum but still have some annoying objectives you had to do for trophies, including My Blaster Runs Hot.

I understand why @Unknown_v2_0 quit, it was becoming too much of a chore to keep up with all the shitty games and when you're not having fun, then what's the point? A number of indies I've done such as Shovel Knight I wouldn't mind buying on the Nintendo Switch, because it's an actual good game that is enjoyable. The Switch doesn't have any achievement system, and people for the most part who mostly play on the Switch care only for the games they want to play and have fun.

That's why some of us complain. It's disheartening to have to search for actual good new games when there is all these crap games and their corresponding stacks.

• Like 3

This is now an issue that I don't necessarily think is Ratalaika's fault.

Like if a publisher asks a developer, and is offered the opportunity:-

"Do you want to sell 8 stacks of your game instead of 1?

Doing so means some people will buy your game more than once"

People buy cheap games, that is a fact, but then trophy hunters buy the game 8 times, giving more money to the developers.

What developer wouldn't sign up to that? I mean, it's extra money for everyone and at this point even customers enjoy playing multiple stacks, even if the game is easy or not (and that includes myself).

You can also get more marketing data, as in, how popular is your game in what region. At this point there's actually no financial sense in releasing only 1 stack. It's just stupid that Sony allowed it.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 9:21 PM, MAUSZX said:

Honestly I think part of the complain is people are giving money to developers that create bad games with easy trophies, therefore potentially making other developers copy that.

I mean I have seen some profiles... man people with 7 versions of the game, depending on region, that means that person bought 7 times that game. Meaning the dev is winning the same amount or more than some good games get.

Is creating a bad economy for the game development, meaning that if they can create a game that has an easy platinum and can be made in a month with just assests of the engine, means they will potentially win more money than a dude that spent years with a game, including the fact that those games get more attention than good games. There is nothing against those games, the problem for me is that people buy stacks of games, the problem is that Road Bustle probably won more money and more attention than other actually good games like ECHO or other games that you might like that not a lot of people has heard about.

I think that is part of it, another is that people that really care about leaderboards and I mean people that REALLY CARE, are basically pushed to just play shitty games and their 8 versions. I seen some people pass me on the leaderboards (not that I care much, but I like to look here and there sometimes) and the people that passed many of us in just one week you look at their profile and is just a sad profile, I think in a way that's damaging, imaging buying a new ps5 to play Road Bustle 7 times, then go for the crossword thing and the 8 other region version and then go for the next one and the next one.... that's just sad, so I think that's why people complain, a lot of reasons lol.

Woke Cali only wants western games to stay, if Sony 2021 is this bad already i can't imagine 2022.

Edited by Nelson_

I reiterate that it's not (always, there are many exceptions) fair to blame the game devs for this and calling their games terrible. 90% of the Ratalaika games trophies are pretty damn good. The trophy situation is pretty exclusively an issue with Ratalaika. At least one dev has stated that it's part of the publishing contract that Rata be allowed to assign the trophy flags for a reduced publishing price and larger sales cut. Which is a pretty sweet deal for a starting dev. It's like Epic buying out every title, with a major downside tacked on.

Also, My Name is Mayo 3 is on the horizon and none of you can stop me from happily buying it.

Edited by Jelly Soup

On 11/11/2021 at 1:10 PM, Jelly Soup said:

At least one dev has stated that it's part of the publishing contract that Rata be allowed to assign the trophy flags for a reduced publishing price and larger sales cut.

So once again the root cause is monies. ?

Then again, I keep reading that trophy hunters are in the vast minority and can't say I should be that surprised the devs care more about getting paid than delivering a good* trophy list.

*: Your definition may vary

• Like 1

Humans have always had a sense of meritocracy in modern society. It's not exclusive to economics like in some ass-backwards country like the U.S where hardworking teachers are underpaid while corrupt Wall Street traders get bailed out with $13.8 trillion dollars. It applies to other things like sports, dating, academia, career, families and in this instance, gaming. Not surprising really - the platinum system was originally implemented to be a system of merit rewarding.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shikotei-kun said:

Then again, I keep reading that trophy hunters are in the vast minority and can't say I should be that surprised the devs care more about getting paid than delivering a good* trophy list.

*: Your definition may vary

It's both things, though. Take Zup! on steam. In Steam you can customize your profile by selecting the achievements you wish to show off. People started using achievements that were just letters and numbers to write stuff out, but there was a major lack of alphanumeric variation. So the Zup! dev created a game, a simple physics puzzle game that's actually pretty good, with 5K achievements (the max allowed for a single game on Steam) that were all variations on the alphabet. And it got popular among achievement hunters for obvious reasons, to the point that the dev speculated that at least 90% of the giant pile of money he was now sitting on came from hunters, with the other 10% being your average normie. For the normie, it's the Action 52 effect I've mentioned before, more games for a cheaper price, regardless of if you want it or not.

Same can be said for the PSN. Trophy spam games are tossed up, but the fact that trophy hunters are a niche of overall players doesn't mean much when the game/s are being marketed directly to the people who are going to want them most. Factor in the Action 52ers and there's the other side of the equation.

I've said this in other threads, but I don't envy the guy whos only job is looking over all these numbers and is required to make some kind of presentable fiscal sense of the mess.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Eraezr said:

Humans have always had a sense of meritocracy in modern society. It's not exclusive to economics like in some ass-backwards country like the U.S where hardworking teachers are underpaid while corrupt Wall Street traders get bailed out with $13.8 trillion dollars. It applies to other things like sports, dating, academia, career, families and in this instance, gaming. Not surprising really - the platinum system was originally implemented to be a system of merit rewarding.

You can't leave out Health Care. Wages have stagnated in the past 40 years. There's a whole fiasco regarding the Cure for Cancer, and why we'll probably never see a cure in our lifetimes.

This applies right up to who the current top YouTubers are. I've known countless YouTube creators who have put in a good portion of their lives making the content they want for their fans to enjoy, yet they only have 10 thousand subscribers, some have 100 thousand, a few I've known for over a decade only got 5000 - 6000 subscribers to their name. Yet you go on YouTube without being logged in, you get exposed to the absolute bullshit that these trendy YouTubers post that get tens and hundreds of millions of views for their videos. Absolute fake, stupid bullshit.

I realized the system that was in place when PewDiePie became the #1 YouTuber, then in 2016 he was claiming he was going to delete his YouTube channel because reasons.

Crap will always get promoted over that which carries substance. And that especially applies with America's standards, YouTube being no different from anyone else.

The top YouTubers all do the same shit and they resemble each other, just like the endless amounts of EZ games flooding the store so a small niche of trophy hunters out there can platinum them as soon as possible.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, MAUSZX said:

On 11/9/2021 at 6:27 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Thankfully the Nintendo Switch and Steam on the PC still has a majority of people buying the good indie games as opposed to shovelware, which was made popular on Steam, giving developers excuses to release buggy products that were still in their beta stages.

Since Sony made the move to California, we've seen endless amounts of garbage games with little to no quality control. Prior to 2016, trophy lists for the most part were more complete and it was a lot more difficult to find a game that you can wrap up in a hours time or less. Sony has even made AAA games far more accessible with big titles like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart where you don't even have to grab all the collectibles. Contrast that with old games like Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which wasn't that hard of a platinum but still have some annoying objectives you had to do for trophies, including My Blaster Runs Hot.

I understand why @Unknown_v2_0 quit, it was becoming too much of a chore to keep up with all the shitty games and when you're not having fun, then what's the point? A number of indies I've done such as Shovel Knight I wouldn't mind buying on the Nintendo Switch, because it's an actual good game that is enjoyable. The Switch doesn't have any achievement system, and people for the most part who mostly play on the Switch care only for the games they want to play and have fun.

Yep a few of the reasons I quit trophies and moved to Switch. It was just an endless cycle of games I didn't enjoy or even need to fully play to plat and then rush on to the next one. I was at the mercy of the system and not gaming on my own terms.

Also Sony benefits in other ways from making the plats easier in games like Ratchet for example and all the AAAs that have come out. If the plat is easier to get and sort of just naturally happens then more people will obtain them, even really casual gamers (might actually get them into trophy hunting too),  will post their plat to social media or share their psnprofile and this will get the word out more for the games as well as encouraging people to buy their systems. Also the more trophies and plats a person has on their profile the more sunk cost fallacy they will apply to which systems they buy in the future. Like when the next gen comes then a company like Sony can say all your trophies carry over etc. and this could say people from buying another company's system. Same with which platform they decide to buy the games on.

Switch has a crazy ton of the shovelware games (most of the ones that release on PS) however purchaser of games on switch would want to buy the game for the game and not just for trophies so while some shovelware might sell at least majority of purchasers are buying only the quality titles I would imagine and no region/system stacks.

Does anyone know what the sales of these EZPZ games on Switch are compared to PS? I am curious

Edited by Unknown_v2_0

23 hours ago, Unknown_v2_0 said:

Yep a few of the reasons I quit trophies and moved to Switch. It was just an endless cycle of games I didn't enjoy or even need to fully play to plat and then rush on to the next one. I was at the mercy of the system and not gaming on my own terms.

Also Sony benefits in other ways from making the plats easier in games like Ratchet for example and all the AAAs that have come out. If the plat is easier to get and sort of just naturally happens then more people will obtain them, even really casual gamers (might actually get them into trophy hunting too),  will post their plat to social media or share their psnprofile and this will get the word out more for the games as well as encouraging people to buy their systems. Also the more trophies and plats a person has on their profile the more sunk cost fallacy they will apply to which systems they buy in the future. Like when the next gen comes then a company like Sony can say all your trophies carry over etc. and this could say people from buying another company's system. Same with which platform they decide to buy the games on.

Switch has a crazy ton of the shovelware games (most of the ones that release on PS) however purchaser of games on switch would want to buy the game for the game and not just for trophies so while some shovelware might sell at least majority of purchasers are buying only the quality titles I would imagine and no region/system stacks.

Does anyone know what the sales of these EZPZ games on Switch are compared to PS? I am curious

They already made the decision to allow autopopping of trophies by transferring saves from the PS4 to PS5 version. In some cases those are basically "free upgrades".

People didn't accomplish anything. They're just flaunting their over inflated trophy count instead of taking the time to enjoy the games and actually.... sit down and have a great experience.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

People didn't accomplish anything. They're just flaunting their over inflated trophy count instead of taking the time to enjoy the games and actually.... sit down and have a great experience.

Yeah I found that all I was doing was playing a check list even in the good games. I got so focused on that that it caused me to rush and not even take the time to enjoy the games or experiences. Unfortunately that mindset even carried over after I quit... it has gotten a lot better though and after a year I am coming back around to enjoying games more and more each one I attempt (or learn what I really like)

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 8:01 PM, Unknown_v2_0 said:

Yeah I found that all I was doing was playing a check list even in the good games. I got so focused on that that it caused me to rush and not even take the time to enjoy the games or experiences. Unfortunately that mindset even carried over after I quit... it has gotten a lot better though and after a year I am coming back around to enjoying games more and more each one I attempt (or learn what I really like)

I’ve slowed down a lot lately because of my job and the fact that family is beginning to take more responsibility in my life.

I get called in a lot for my job. Unfortunately, I don’t get any job benefits but that’s the situation many of my peers are facing. 

Also I just think that trophy hunting just doesn’t have the spark it once did. When I started this hobby I found YouTubers like Carlos (CMH777) KingSuperOne, Adam McDermott and Stay Pationt who all took it in their own way. So it was interesting to hear Adam talk about Dead Space 2, or Carlos talk about his experience with the Need for Speed franchise. 

This website used to offer tips for specific trophies and I felt that was a good thing because EZPZ games were significantly less. 

All anyone does in the top 2000 on the leaderboards is try to one up each other. Nobody is playing stuff like Super Meat Boy or Street Fighter V because those are too much of a time investment. 

I mean, you already played Mega Man 11 and Bloodstained, which many top hunters wouldn’t bother playing because again, too much time required.

It sort of reflects the current social media landscape. Everybody is doing the exact same things on Instagram and Tik Tok. There’s no diversity at all. 

If I ever get the time and resources, I’m thinking of doing a YouTube series of my own where I talk about trophies and my experiences.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

If I ever get the time and resources, I’m thinking of doing a YouTube series of my own where I talk about trophies and my experiences.

After reading a lot of your posts, I cannot imagine what your voice might be like.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

All anyone does in the top 2000 on the leaderboards is try to one up each other. Nobody is playing stuff like Super Meat Boy or Street Fighter V because those are too much of a time investment. 

I mean, you already played Mega Man 11 and Bloodstained, which many top hunters wouldn’t bother playing because again, too much time required.

It sort of reflects the current social media landscape. Everybody is doing the exact same things on Instagram and Tik Tok. There’s no diversity at all. 

Yeah I got that bad mindset where I would weigh the games based on how fast I could plat them... Would skip out on things like MM11 or Bloodstained with its 100% list. 

Yeah most social media now I think is lots of doing the same things. However I am thinking if someone does something unique at this point odds of it being found even are tremendously low. thinking the algorithms and such as just at the point that it just are just showing things to people that are super close in content to other stuff to keep people on the platform.

I would be curious on your takes  via some vids

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

After reading a lot of your posts, I cannot imagine what your voice might be like.

He'd be like the Alex Jones of Trophies xD

"HOW DARE YOU PLAY GAMES I DON'T LIKE?!!?"

"HOW DARE YOU TAKE TIME AWAY FOR MENTAL HEALTH AND STILL CALL YOURSELF A TROPHY HUNTER?!?!?"

"These easy plats man, they're out there, right now, killing us TRUE HUNTERS! Murdering us with easy trophies."

Posts I've seen from him, he believes he's Trophy Jesus, the one and only arbiter of what trophies you can and cannot earn. How sad that his life is so wrapped up in how other people play. 

And then above he says he's not got as much time to play anymore, which in his words means he's no longer a true hunter. How the proverbially mighty have fallen xD 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MomentsInTime said:

He'd be like the Alex Jones of Trophies xD

"HOW DARE YOU PLAY GAMES I DON'T LIKE?!!?"

"HOW DARE YOU TAKE TIME AWAY FOR MENTAL HEALTH AND STILL CALL YOURSELF A TROPHY HUNTER?!?!?"

"These easy plats man, they're out there, right now, killing us TRUE HUNTERS! Murdering us with easy trophies."

Posts I've seen from him, he believes he's Trophy Jesus, the one and only arbiter of what trophies you can and cannot earn. How sad that his life is so wrapped up in how other people play. 

And then above he says he's not got as much time to play anymore, which in his words means he's no longer a true hunter. How the proverbially mighty have fallen xD 

Where has he ever said any of that?

Besides it's not a conspiracy, it's a fact now, that standards have been going downhill. A large percent of the people on this site are all too aware of it.

• Like 3

On 11/19/2021 at 7:43 PM, enaysoft said:

My first thought reading your post was Eddie Deezen.

Unlikely, but would still be undeniably funny. Alex Jones would be funny too.

Edited by Jelly Soup

Woke Cali Sony western garbage is endless, and sorry Jim Ryan that i don't like you either. Glad PS Plus is almost ending as im not renewing that crap anymore. 

Lol at "Winged Cloud" another western desperate dev that found it's way with the trophies.

Edited by Nelson_
  • Like 2

I'd say just play whatever you want!

I'll never buy a game just to get a 2 minute platinum... fair play to the people that find enjoyment in that.

Don't get me wrong, I've played games that do not have difficult platinums but they were purchased (like Ratchet & Clank) because I wanted to play them, not because I wanted a Platinum. 

I personally cannot see how anyone can say "I really wanted to play 'WOULD YOU LIKE TO RUN AN IDOL CAFÉ?' and I loved the 2 minutes it lasted!"

The competition aspect of trophies has died, it's just odd how people in the community get so triggered by seeing the easy platinums - they will stick around as long as the developers are making money (which they definitely are).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobbieVI- said:

The competition aspect of trophies has died, it's just odd how people in the community get so triggered by seeing the easy platinums - they will stick around as long as the developers are making money (which they definitely are).

Because that’s mostly what you see now.

I ultimately think this goes beyond trophies and we’re just seeing a reflection of the times we live in. 

You look at today’s top YouTubers and they’re all doing the same things. No diversity or individuality at all. The same trendy videos that get millions of views because that means money. It’s the system of the website. There is very little substance. 

When I first signed up back in 2014 many people here shared trophy tips under the old website format. There were friendly community events in regards to competition. That is basically gone now. 

I would still recall great moments in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, but I probably wouldn’t recall anything by stacking would you like to run an idol cafe? several times, or whatever the hell that games name is. 

It’s always the same throwaway type of games, all with the same number of stacks. I cannot imagine Steam or Nintendo Switch that doesn’t have an achievement system at all getting too many players whatsoever for games like the one I just mentioned. 

They were cheaply made and basically put out to make money. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobbieVI- said:

I'd say just play whatever you want!

I'll never buy a game just to get a 2 minute platinum... fair play to the people that find enjoyment in that.

Don't get me wrong, I've played games that do not have difficult platinums but they were purchased (like Ratchet & Clank) because I wanted to play them, not because I wanted a Platinum. 

I personally cannot see how anyone can say "I really wanted to play 'WOULD YOU LIKE TO RUN AN IDOL CAFÉ?' and I loved the 2 minutes it lasted!"

Sony all it had left after closing Japan Studio and their new censorship policy was quality control, Sony is raw and dumps now.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/next-gen-is-going-to-be-even-more-woke.1548183/

Edited by Nelson_

Many people think it devalues the leaderboards and floods the PlayStation Stores with a lot of games and many mediocre to crappy ones. Those are the two arguments I understand, even as someone with a lot of really easy trophies and platinums. Other than that, I really don't think people should care much. Let people spend their money on what they want to. That being said, there are plenty of valid criticisms. 

I don’t really care about anyone else’s profile enough but in my opinion quality over quantity generally applies. I find profiles with only a handful of plats but high average rarity much more impressive. Bragging about trophies or leaderboard position in general is cringe but they definitely have more of a right to.

However, playing any games, easy or hard, specifically for trophies is pretty retarded, dude. Enjoy ‘em and make trophies a secondary thing. Gaming is meant to be fun not a chore.

• Like 3