Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

2 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Spaz, my dude, it's a visual novel. Whether or not you consider those to be video games is up to you, but they've been around long before the recent EZPZ craze. Would you like to run an idol café? does have an audience with people like me who genuinely enjoy reading them and admiring the artwork. I know that's something of a rarity on a site like this, but that's besides the point. Just because there are people out there who skip through the entire game in minutes doesn't make the game itself worthless. I think it's totally unfair to treat Would you like to run an idol café? and The Pig D as the same thing, considering how that game's soul purpose is to earn trophies for you just by holding a button. It would be worthless without trophies, but the same can't be said about Would you like to run an idol café?.

I’m fully aware of what they are man. But I’m inclined to think most people aren’t buying them because they are visual novels. They’re buying them simply because they’re easy trophies. 

I played Amnesia: Memories. Didn’t like it, but that’s just me, because they’re not my cup of tea. 

My point is lots of people already stacked idol cafe. If they were more concerned about playing them because of the actual content then they would of played only one stack. Or at least, stack the corresponding PS4/PS5 versions and moved on. 

Whether or not they pass as visual novels is beside the point. The fact is they are part of the recent EZPZ craze, which makes the leaderboards utterly pointless so I’ve basically only gone to playing games I want to play, regardless of how long they take. 

I’ve played three different visual novels, all of which I picked up on PS Plus years ago when they were offered. Decided they weren’t for me and moved on. 

I don’t see the point in defending visual novels, because I was neither bashing them nor supporting them. This along with several others are all cashing in, seeing all those stacks makes looking at the newest releases awful. 

A filter would be nice, but that is wishful thinking at this point.

VNs have the distinction of being 'bread and butter' for achievement hunters, particularly so for PC hunters. Most take virtually no time and are fully guided. A stack of 100%s can be built up in an afternoon following a decent sale. I'm under the impression, though with no actual data other than observation, that the main selling force for VNs are actual fans of them.

• Like 1

Wasn't there a "game" called top 1000 rated or something like it that was literally created to give a cheap platinum trophy, and the devs had to remove it from the ps store?

I don't mind easy platinums, but it does grind my gears a bit when scummy devs release cheap, low quality games solely to sell trophies.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaehyun1009 said:

Wasn't there a "game" called top 1000 rated or something like it that was literally created to give a cheap platinum trophy, and the devs had to remove it from the ps store?

I don't mind easy platinums, but it does grind my gears a bit when scummy devs release cheap, low quality games solely to sell trophies.

Yes, but they didn’t have to remove it from the store because it was a bad game for easy trophies - they had to remove it because the name “1000 Top Rated” was false advertising, as it implied the game had 1000 five star reviews.

It was removed from the store, but was renamed “Slyde”, and put back up - and is still available to this day, as far as I am aware.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes, but they didn’t have to remove it from the store because it was a bad game for easy trophies - they had to remove it because the name “1000 Top Rated” was false advertising, as it implied the game had 1000 five star reviews.

It was removed from the store, but was renamed “Slyde”, and put back up - and is still available to this day, as far as I am aware.

It's been a few years since it happened so I stand corrected on the details.

Still, I'm not a fan of games that are made (brazenly advertised in this case, too) solely for the purpose of selling platinum trophies.

• Like 3

I so wish to see the financial ledgers of these "developers".  At the moment PSNP reports The Pig D has 4,607owners across its region and platform stacks.  Listed as $1.49 on the NA PS Store, that could be close to $7,000.  Pig D owners chase trophies and will likely be heavily represented by PSNP stats.  Minus dev kits and PS Store fees (30%?), how much did they make for their effort?  Divided by time, how much per hour?  I wouldn't be surprised if developer Webnetic s. r. o. was just killing time between contracts.

Seems more like a modern "Hello World" exercise than a rags-to-riches scam to rip off trophy hunters. 

EDIT: Heck, learning Hello World may have even inspired the game's cryptic title.  "I went to school and I got The Big D."

Edited by pogo_loco

I have taken part in my fair share of easy games, mostly ones that were cross buy with Vita because it gave me stuff to play on the go. I haven't really got anymore outside of those with a few exceptions, I don't really mind either way but it's becoming apparent that this is creating so much shovelware on the store and that's the bigger issue. 

Edited by tpepper1985
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

I so wish to see the financial ledgers of these "developers".  At the moment PSNP reports The Pig D has 4,607owners across its region and platform stacks.  Listed as $1.49 on the NA PS Store, that could be close to $7,000.  Pig D owners chase trophies and will likely be heavily represented by PSNP stats.  Minus dev kits and PS Store fees (30%?), how much did they make for their effort?  Divided by time, how much per hour?  I wouldn't be surprised if developer Webnetic s. r. o. was just killing time between contracts.

Seems more like a modern "Hello World" exercise than a rags-to-riches scam to rip off trophy hunters. 

EDIT: Heck, learning Hello World may have even inspired the game's cryptic title.  "I went to school and I got The Big D."

Subtract the dev kit fee from the one time publishing cost, since most small games at AA quality and lower can just slap in the required code/information to make PSN integration possible. But then add back a much smaller one time fee for adding a platinum trophy.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 4:58 AM, tpepper1985 said:

I have taken part in my fair share of easy games, mostly ones that were cross buy with Vita because it gave me stuff to play on the go. I haven't really got anymore outside of those with a few exceptions, I don't really mind either way but it's becoming apparent that this is creating so much shovelware on the store and that's the bigger issue. 

This right here what I highlighted in bold. It's now common practice that this crap is fully accepted, and Sony is quickly on their way in resembling another Steam.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:09 AM, jaehyun1009 said:

It's been a few years since it happened so I stand corrected on the details.

Still, I'm not a fan of games that are made (brazenly advertised in this case, too) solely for the purpose of selling platinum trophies.

On 11/30/2021 at 6:56 AM, pogo_loco said:

This proves that so many people can be easily manipulated, this lazy devs are now completely free to exploit this people cause western = $ lol

People voted with their wallets for this so they will get that from now on, welcome to Sony Cali western market.

Edited by Nelson_
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 5:02 PM, Nelson_ said:

This proves that so many people can be easily manipulated, this lazy devs are now completely free to exploit this people cause western = $ lol

People voted with their wallets for this so they will get that from now on, welcome to Sony Cali western market.

If only ppl had the mental will to just say no to supporting obvious Exploration of ppl addictions then we could have more support for actual quality indie titles.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 5:03 AM, Wild-Arms-R said:

If only ppl had the mental will to just say no to supporting obvious Exploration of ppl addictions then we could have more support for actual quality indie titles.

Didn't even bother with the PS Plus 50% off to stop supporting Sony and their garbage. They won't change as they are now.

Also most people will lack standards so it's easy to exploit them.

Edited by Nelson_

On 12/3/2021 at 2:02 PM, Nelson_ said:

California was always a bandwagon state for as long as I can remember. My family comes from California so I can definitely speak from experience. Los Angeles and Hollywood are the biggest group of bandwagon guys out there.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, Wild-Arms-R said:

On 12/19/2021 at 1:28 AM, Nelson_ said:

Didn't even bother with the PS Plus 50% off to stop supporting Sony and their garbage. They won't change as they are now.

Also most people will lack standards so it's easy to exploit them.

Quality indie titles are more difficult to complete because you have to, well..... actually play thru them. The easy games business model is more profitable, and they know this.

• Like 2

Not only ZJ the ball level 1C thread made me lol putting aside the shameful "zoo corporation" with their pretty girls mahjong games that is also shovelware, the freaky western shovelware just keep coming like cakes lmao... happy xmas everyone "Play has no Limits" ?

Edited by Nelson_
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I lile the trophies system. i understand everyone play the way they want.. but all this new shitty game killing completly the fun of competition with other and with myself. i remember when platinum was worthing something. It's better now to complete the in game achivement than the trophy. i'ts looking like steam now lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elk_mistral said:

I lile the trophies system. i understand everyone play the way they want.. but all this new shitty game killing completly the fun of competition with other and with myself. i remember when platinum was worthing something. It's better now to complete the in game achivement than the trophy. i'ts looking like steam now lol

I mean a platinum was never really worth anything except the value you assign it in your own mind but I get what you're saying.  Looking at the list of bowling story games is cringe worthy.  Just a few years ago you looked and it was always about half and half.  Now days you look at the new games and its all bowling story stuff and you can actually miss a real game release in the pile of garbage.

I grew up in the video game crash of 1983.  To 10 year old me, those were the glory days of home gaming.  I could take my $2 allowance, head down to the department store, and grab just about any game out of the bargain bin as stores desperately tried to unload stock.   99% of the time, I had no idea of what the hell I was buying.  Sometimes I got games that kept me entertained for weeks (Cosmic Ark and Dragonfire were particular favorites of mine).  Sometimes I got duds.   But even with the duds, they'd often at least keep me entertained longer than the $2 would last me at the arcade.  So either way, it was still a win.  

I have an ongoing contest with my godchild, though she has recently all but abandoned it.  We compete with each other for bragging rights on our trophy counts.  Quality doesn't matter.  Difficulty doesn't matter.  All that mattered was padding our trophy counts.  Why?  Because we could.  Was it a stupid, pointless waste of money?  Yup.  Did we care?  Nope.  It was fun.  That's all that mattered.  

Needless to say, I have a bit of a soft spot for shovelware.  And in some cases (admittedly, very few.  But they exist), some of the games are at least better than they're given credit for.   We're not talking AAA titles here, but well worth the couple of bucks on the price tag.  

But my god, even by my very forgiving standards regarding shovelware, I think Sony has allowed it to go way too far.  In the early days of trophy hunting, easy platinums were games like Terminator:  Salvation.   Kid's games.  Move tie-ins.  Even stupid shit like Hanna Montana.  Certainly not games of the year by any stretch of the imagination, but they were at least legitimate games and not blatant cash grabs aimed solely at people like me.  :D  But nowadays, there's an entire industry of games that are little more than selling platinums for a couple of bucks each.   It started with games like My Name Is Mayo and Slyde.  Now we have companies like Breakthrough Gaming, Ratalaika, Smobile, EastAsiaSoft, etc. pumping out 99 cent shovelware on a literal daily basis.   And the "quality" of these games is dropping with each passing day.  A lot of the Ratalaika games are at least passable low-end indie games, with some gems thrown in the mix (The midnight series is pretty decent, for example).  But then you get companies like Breakthrough who are literally drawing stick figures and pumping out games that would have been bad even by 1983's standards.   The fact that these games even exist at all shows that there is absolutely no quality control coming from Sony, and they'll allow anyone to publish anything.  

I played a lot of these games.  Take a look at my trophy list.  It's full of games like this.  (Side note:  I'm going to take the time to point out my own hypocrisy and apologize to the trophy hunting community as a whole for heavily contributing to the exact problem that I'm here complaining about.).  But when I saw the recent dump of shovelware that has infested the Playstation Store over the past couple of months, I started thinking....enough is enough.  Companies that would occasionally release a shovelware title here and there every few months are now dumping them on the store on a seemingly daily basis.  There's more shovelware now than playable games.   It drags down the overall quality of the Playstation Store.  It negatively impacts indie gaming.  Good indie games get buried in a sea of stick figures and creepy "pretty girls" games. It marginalizes trophy hunting, turning it into nothing more than a cash grab.  It has basically killed leaderboards on sites like this, as most of the top players have basically bought their way to the top by playing 99 cent games en masse.  It's done far more harm than good.  

I know it'll never happen as Sony isn't going to willingly give up their cut of the revenue that the shovelware generates, but I'd love to see Sony implement at least some quality control and eliminate the blatant 5-minute-platinum-cash-grabs.  I don't even want to see all of them go:  Like I said, there's a place for games like Ratalaika's "Midnight" series.   But do we really need dozens of games of a literal stick figure playing a game that often isn't even anywhere close to the game they're saying it is, throwing up a random Bible quote and basically selling you a 45 second platinum for a buck a whack?   At the very least, I'd like to see them go back to the days where shovelware like this may get a handful of trophies, but no platinum.   As someone with literally over 100 of these games in my trophy list, I fully understand why someone who would look at it would consider my entire trophy list worthless because these platinums are there.   I don't really care, as I play for my own satisfaction and not to show off my trophy list.   But if Sony were to announce tomorrow that all these games would be delisted and they'd do a better job of controlling the quality of games they allow on the store, I'd be the first to thank them for it.  

TL;DR:  I fucking love shovelware, but even I think that enough is enough already.  

Edited by The-Man-In-Black
  • Like 1

I regret playing my name is mayo, autumns journey and any other 2 minute skip text platinum. But games like Planet Rix13, red bow, rush rover etc.. they were fun and something different from what I would usually play. I basically regret the stupid cash grabs that take less than 10 mins with no skill or effort.. but everything else on my list I am fine with. Sometimes I wanna relax after a hard day at work and I don’t want to concentrate 100% on a game so I play some indie or fun easy plat. I have some decent platinums, some I worked quite hard for, but I am very much a common/uncommon trophy getter. A bad trophy list can also put me off a game, but if it’s known to be a great game I will play it and forget about trophies.

I refuse to play breakthrough, zippy, ZJ the circle etc.. when those games started pumping out I started to re-evaluate my trophy hunting experience and also buying habits. A £3.99 game on sale seems harnesses but say a 60% sale comes along and you add 10/20 of these games to your cart, that’s almost enough money for a decent game on sale there.. and people don’t seem to like when you have money to just spend on BS games.. 

I also feel like true trophy hunters are being under cut, they work hard for their rare platinums and big title platinums and here some of us are getting multiple plats in one day. 
I do what makes me happy and do what I enjoy, and mostly don’t voice my opinion on the politics of trophy hunting.. because you cannot please everyone and there is always always at least one person who moans at everything or is just negative nelly. 

Bit of a nonsense rant but someone may agree. Or disagree.