Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

8 hours ago, The-Man-In-Black said:

TL;DR:  I fucking love shovelware, but even I think that enough is enough already.  

There are two tiers of game players.

Trophy hunters and regular people, and well perhaps a third tier, fairly regular players who started playing on Playstation since early PS3 days and have a healthy amount of trophies. (Lots of people on this site)

Anyway, once you play a good game that is a quick route to get a platinum, maybe something like The Walking Dead.

There's that inevitably that buzz of "Wow look how fast I am going up the leaderboards, this game required little effort at all". So you start playing more and more easy games until you discover super easy, super cheap games.

Unfortunately once you get past the tier of regular people, you hit the almost brick wall of the top tier of trophy hunters at the back of queue, and now you need to play even more of those games to catch up, but more disturbingly to keep afloat.

It's the same reason why things like Quantitative Easing are also bad. It seems like a quick fix at first but then ends up hurting everyone, not just yourself.

Also once you have started you need to continue. At the current rate "shovelware" is coming out thick and fast, you and your god child are going to need an extra 5-10 dollars A WEEK, to keep ahead of each, and for what reason? :)

The amount of shit and shovelware on mobile is immense but it's there because people play them and they pay money... and now on Playstation we have a similar issue.

You're sadly being scammed, you won't be the first and sadly won't be the last.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:47 AM, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Look at my rank. Soon, I will leave you all in my dust!!! Hahahahaha

I hope you didn't abandon your channel in favour of your "rank"

Is your channel in the dust? "Hahahahaha" ?

"Support this channel by donating to https://streamlabs.com/palaceoflove706"

"Page not found
We were unable to find this broadcaster."
Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 2

Unless we're all competing for financial gain, I don't really care about how other players earn their plats. However, I get why other players with a larger investment call them out for playing crap games just to gain ten easy ones.

Speaking for myself, I used to mostly go for the fun but challenging plats. However, I'm semi-retired from the hobby now. I might work on a plat or two again. 141 or whatever plats I have right now is a lot for me.

Edited by thepeaguy83

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, Sykacz said:

For me its quality over quantity. If I look at someones profile and see games like Jumping Burger or Jumping Taco then I know what person I am dealing with. No offense, really.

They make My Name is Mayo look like an all time great in gaming history.

• Like 2

Yeah an interesting one. As a very general statement, trophies have trended towards being easier from the PS3 to the PS4 and then the PS5. I think the issue here has to do with the fact that people's trophy lists are not created equal and the ultimate number of Platinums someone has clearly does not give an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the Platinums obtained.

Edited by espjh2
typo

On 18.5.2022 at 9:10 AM, Sykacz said:

For me its quality over quantity. If I look at someones profile and see games like Jumping Burger or Jumping Taco then I know what person I am dealing with. No offense, really.

I get the point here, but I gotta admit sometimes it's just feels good to play ez 5 min platinum game after you have put hours to get platinum from games that need big grind.
When full trophy list is all about ez super cheap and fast & no effort platinums, you know it's all about leaderboards, which is fine because we all play games for different reasons.

For leaderboards purpose I get it's "unfair situation" when there is game that need +100h time to get 1 platinum, and then there is people who buy these 1$ games to get X amount of platinum trophies with the same effort. Even tho nothing really stops you to play those games too. 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:40 AM, Eeda said:

I get the point here, but I gotta admit sometimes it's just feels good to play ez 5 min platinum game after you have put hours to get platinum from games that need big grind.
When full trophy list is all about ez super cheap and fast & no effort platinums, you know it's all about leaderboards, which is fine because we all play games for different reasons.

For leaderboards purpose I get it's "unfair situation" when there is game that need +100h time to get 1 platinum, and then there is people who buy these 1$ games to get X amount of platinum trophies with the same effort. Even tho nothing really stops you to play those games too. 

That’s perfectly fine. It’s when people stack hundreds of games then complain to people like me that I’m an elitist, I’m a gatekeeper trying to keep trophy hunting niche.

We’re a small minority in a subculture of gamers, the vast majority couldn’t care less about achievements/trophies.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, espjh2 said:

Yeah an interesting one. As a very general statement, trophies have trended towards being easier from the PS3 to the PS4 and then the PS5. I think the issue here has to do with the fact that people's trophy lists are not created equal and the ultimate number of Platinums someone has clearly does not give an accurate reflection of the difficulty of the Platinums obtianed.

Unlike till 2021 you now have tons and tons of shovelware coming every week, 2022 already crossed the line and the psn flooded in garbage, that's all there is to it that people didn't seem to get point yet, i repeat 2022 is not like any other year and it's going to get much worse from here on. the current Sony allowed this to happen too.

And lol when i googled "Current Sony flooded in shovelware" found this:

https://www.thegamer.com/easy-platinum-trophy-shovelware-ps4-ps5/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/79998123?page=8

Edited by Nelson_
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nelson_ said:

Unlike till 2021 you now have tons and tons of shovelware coming every week, 2022 already crossed the line and the psn flooded in garbage, that's all there is to it that people didn't seem to get point yet, i repeat 2022 is not like any other year and it's going to get much worse from here on. the current Sony allowed this to happen too.

And lol when i googled "Current Sony flooded in shovelware" found this:

https://www.thegamer.com/easy-platinum-trophy-shovelware-ps4-ps5/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/79998123?page=8

Yep. The more I think back on the journey from when trophies were implemented... Platinums were (again, as a very general statement), harder to get back in the day. The number of Platinums use to 'mean' more back in the day. With the easier and easier Platinums (and the speed at which they can be obtained), this does trend towards the number of Platinums that someone has as being quite meaningless, when it may have previously.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It just keeps getting worse. 

I'd much rather play a game that has a few easy trophies over a game that's solely designed to earn easy trophies.

Nowadays you're paying for a platinum trophy, not the game.

Edited by Kruznf
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Arzoden said:

Yeah you would rather spend 5 years on games like bloodborne 1f601.png

If you are not satisfied with the trophy list i have a quite simple solution for you, do not buy the game and add it to your own list.

Such a weak argument, 'if you don't like something don't complain about it!'
Here's an idea- if you're fine with playing these 'games' go play one, it won't take you very long.

Crystal ball:

-More and more "developers" use the 2-minute platinum business model as "gamers" gobble them up

-Eventually reaches a point where these "gamers" realize they're not having fun / the amount of time/money to go up the leaderboards reaches a tipping point, and they drop out of the race

-New "gamers" replace them, but the threshold to get to high positions gets progressively more time consuming/expensive, and their number diminishes

-The business model isn't profitable anymore, and these "developers" call it quit

-Leaderboards are forever meaningless, but regular gamers sigh in satisfaction at not having to go through one of these threads again

(my crystal ball doesn't show me Sony implementing a quality control system or trophy calibration exercise, sadly)

• Like 3

On 5/19/2022 at 8:40 AM, Eeda said:

I get where you're coming from, but there are so many short easy games that are actually games(and decent ones at that), not trophy purchasing simulators, that the 99 cent trophy grabs rub me the wrong way. Just looking at my recent games, Newt One, Dragon Audit, Donut County, and Burly Men at Sea are all probably 3-5 hours of gameplay and 1/10 difficulty. It's not the same as 50 stacks of jumping whatever, but if you're looking for quick plats to break up the long grinds, not just trying to keep up with the leaderboards, there are such better (IMO) options.

PSNProfiles needs to come up with new alternatives to the current leaderboard to future proof itself.

The leaderboard is super central to the website, world and country ranks are plainly there in your face when you visit a profile.

But when you listen to new generations of trophy hunters, youtubers or reddit, nobody seems to even want to talk about it. Or when they do it's always with mockery or disdain.

The leaderboard needs to go away or younger generations of trophy hunters will go away.

32 minutes ago, zizimonster said:

Leaderboards aren't entirely meaningless. By being on the leaderboards, at least it proves that you are a legitimate trophy hunter. :)

Sure, but what I imply is that at the moment, it merges people who stack 8 copies of the same 2-minute platinum, and people who play a variety of different games. Looking at the Canadian leaderboard, for example, you see:

#2 2000 UC to 43000C, average rarity 90.02%

#3 2000 UC to 37000C, average rarity 90.18%

#4 3400 UC to 36000C, average rarity 85.73%

#5 2000 UC to 38000C, average rarity 88.74%

For all its imperfection and the flak it's getting re: "obsolete" games et al., I still think the psn100 leaderboard presents a better picture of what I personally feel should be represented in leaderboards by removing stacks: trophy hunters as individuals who play games and solve challenges to get trophies vs. trophy hunters as individual who are basically buying platinums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visighost said:

I still think the psn100 leaderboard presents a better picture of what I personally feel should be represented in leaderboards by removing stacks: trophy hunters as individuals who play games and solve challenges to get trophies vs. trophy hunters as individual who are basically buying platinums.

I think PSN100 is a terrible implementation of a good idea. Here are a few examples of games (no 5 minutes/ 8 stacks) that don't earn any points for my profile, even though I've put the time and effort into them.

Delisted: Laser League, DriveClub Bikes, Tale of Monky Island.

Obsolete: Bioshock 2, Crysis 3, AC3, AC Revelations, AC Brotherhood FF7 Remake, Mass Effect 1-3, Catherine, DW8:XL, DW8, DW7, Red Faction Guerrilla, Nier, FC3, Uncharted 2, LA Noire, GTA3, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA 5, Diablo 3, GoW3, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms of Amalur and a few TellTale Games.

These games are 'obsolete' because there are newer versions on PS4 or PS5. So I get punished for playing the older versions and to get points again I would have to play the newer versions again. How is that supposed to prevent stacking??

One thing to add - Injustice: 964 rarity points compared to Harvest Moon: 15204 rarity points!!! Its over 8000!11?

Edited by D-E-U-S-X
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

I think PSN100 is a terrible implementation of a good idea. Here are a few examples of games (no 5 minutes/ 8 stacks) that don't earn any points for my profile, even though I've put the time and effort into them.

Delisted: Laser League, DriveClub Bikes, Tale of Monky Island.

Obsolete: Bioshock 2, Crysis 3, AC3, AC Revelations, AC Brotherhood FF7 Remake, Mass Effect 1-3, Catherine, DW8:XL, DW8, DW7, Red Faction Guerrilla, Nier, FC3, Uncharted 2, LA Noire, GTA3, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA 5, Diablo 3, GoW3, Borderlands 2, Kingdoms of Amalur and a few TellTale Games.

These games are 'obsolete' because there are newer versions on PS4 or PS5. So I get punished for playing the older versions and to get points again I would have to play the newer versions again. How is that supposed to prevent stacking?1f602.png

You forgot to add - every Vita game that had a PS3 or PS4 version was obsolete the day it released…

…Along with every cross Gen game’s PS4 version?

Edited by DrBloodmoney

1 hour ago, visighost said:

Rarity leaderboard is long overdue now, and I think it shouldn't "remove" players who stack games. If a player decides to stack two ultra rare plats, DMC5 for instance, it is fine. Rarities of both plats should still count for that player on the rarity leaderboard.

They can make use of the average rarity stats present on every PSN profile on PSNP... if that's possible to implement onto this new leaderboard.

That's what I have at the back of my mind right now. :)

Edited by zizimonster

28 minutes ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

These games are 'obsolete' because there are newer versions on PS4 or PS5. So I get punished for playing the older versions and to get points again I would have to play the newer versions again. How is that supposed to prevent stacking?1f602.png

One thing to add - Injustice: 964 rarity points compared to Harvest Moon: 15204 rarity points!!! Its over 8000!111f602.png

I'm not saying it's perfect! But in the balance, losing a (relatively small?) number of "obsolete" games ported to newer consoles vs. letting in multiple is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :D As a proof-in-the-pudding sort of thing: if you compare the leaderboards on both sites, you quickly realize that it's the serial stackers who disappear, not the "regular gamers" who might play longer games on a few consoles.

(The rarity leaderboard is another issue completely: it's better to think at it in terms of how rare a game is vs. how rare a trophy is. I think its goal isn't to represent how many URs you have, but how many obscure games you play!)