Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

Shovelware isn't gonna stop anytime soon.

Some folks who strictly enjoy collecting trophies like these, and hey, let them. My personal opinion on these kinds of games is they're lame and not really games and they completely defeat the point of trophies, which are mostly supposed to be a mark of accomplishing something or overcoming a challenge. I do not play them and I just ignore them. But hey, some folks are quantity over quality and just want easy plats, and let them be. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ozetkiller said:

Im not someone who blames people doing easy platinums since i have alot of them too. My goal was to reach 1000 platinums so ive done alot of those 1 hour platinums stacks. And it was all cool in the beginning with ratalaika games etc every now and then

But now the ps store is getting flooded every day with 3-4 of these games that basically have no gameplay and look like crap. Noone really speaks out about it. This is not fun anymore and ive stopped trophy hunting a few month ago when this started. Sony needs to stop this. The ps store is a mess you cant even see normal games anymore inbetween them.

Atleast add a filter to blend this spam out..

I dont like these games. I woulnt act innocent, I bought some trash to get easy platinums. But what I realized is that giving them money and attention is why they even exist. So I'm not supporting this stuff anymore and am going to only play games I actually want to play (and platinum ofc) to give those developers the support they deserve

• Like 2

pretty much, they won't stop. Its the same games recycled endlessly... replace taco with a nugget or a sushi roll. Looks stupid cheap to develop. 

They know people will spend 2-3$ a game 6 times for all stacks. So lets average 15-20$ a person.  Definitely over a million users overall(not just here) buy these gamesnas percent overall on ALL of Playstation is pretty high... meaning millions of dollars per cheap developed game.

Do these games suck? yes. but i definitely dont blame the companies shoving them out weekly if they make that kind of money.

Don't like it dont play it. "Oh but the leaderboards". So what? There was an old saying, i forget exact wording, but to get to the top of the mountain you may have to do some things you may not enjoy doing. I present to you: EZPZ Plat category. 

Want your ranking up? play this stuff. Or go back to enjoying games for what they are, and not just worrying about a % rate that 98% of people dont give two shits about.

56 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Actually you're wrong, the PS Store is fine. It's THIS site that is a mess as a result. None of these games ever appear on the store unless you search for them directly.

i think a ton of the blue ghost ones showed up under new releases on my ps store and i never looked. They're gone now but they do appear. Rarely.

1 hour ago, Ashande said:

Best idea is just to ignore it. They’re not hurting you. They’re just sitting there. They’re not preventing any “real” games from releasing, they’re not taking time and resources away from whatever you consider to be a more meaningful experience. They’re just there. ?1f3fb.png‍♂️

this. exactly. 

2 hours ago, Ozetkiller said:

Im not someone who blames people doing easy platinums since i have alot of them too. My goal was to reach 1000 platinums so ive done alot of those 1 hour platinums stacks. And it was all cool in the beginning with ratalaika games etc every now and then

But now the ps store is getting flooded every day with 3-4 of these games that basically have no gameplay and look like crap. Noone really speaks out about it. This is not fun anymore and ive stopped trophy hunting a few month ago when this started. Sony needs to stop this. The ps store is a mess you cant even see normal games anymore inbetween them.

This made me lol. The store wouldn't be getting flooded if people like you weren't buying the cheap games for the easy plats in the first place. You're basically complaining about a problem you created.

• Like 3

It would've been easier to talk about the subject if these discussions wouldn't tend to blame people directly who play these games.

I can understand that Breakthrough's not so well hidden Christian message aren't everybody's cup of tea.

Only Sony can decide what games get a platinum and what not. Its still a shame about games like Journey which would have a platinum by nowadays standards.

Making the 0.99 Dollar games a non-platinum game with up to 21 trophies possible would solve a lot of problems and save the platinum value for full games.

4 to 21 trophies for less than a dollar would still be a good bargain and prevents these games from having such an impact on leaderboards (it would take 4 of these games to get as many points as a game with a plat would).

This gaming habit reminds me of addiction to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, gambling. Anything for that fix. But I'm not innocent I dabbled some myself but I claim to be sober now going a few years. Instant gratification seems to be the way to go, no patience or will to put in any effort for a trophy list that takes longer than 30 mins to complete. It's all about chasing the leaderboard dragon. 

• Like 2

If you look in my profile I do a lot of easy platinums too BUT I play nothing what doesn’t make me fun. I did 10 of these breakthrough games and some Road bustle etc but I quickly stopped it. There is just no reward. These Breakthrough, Run, Jumping,Jumping Turbo are just soulsless „games“ and to get trophies let’s feel you more and more empty. No one want a challenge anymore. That’s because I try to start the one or other hard game. I do the one or other 1 hour stack from Ratalaika/ Eastasiasoft but they are fun and kind of not bad Mini Games I think. 

2 hours ago, Skurkitty said:

"I've done a lot of them but now that I'm not doing them they need to stop". While you may have stopped, you certainly helped it get to this point by buying into it. Could have stuck to playing actual games to make that 1000 plat milestone all the more meaningful.

3x

OP is immune to irony

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAK-KRIEG said:

This gaming habit reminds me of addiction to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, gambling. Anything for that fix. But I'm not innocent I dabbled some myself but I claim to be sober now going a few years. Instant gratification seems to be the way to go, no patience or will to put in any effort for a trophy list that takes longer than 30 mins to complete. It's all about chasing the leaderboard dragon. 

Oh yeah it's definitely that. It's the mind manipulation that common in mobile games (and even in console games these days) where you are engrossed in a kind of currency system.

Whereby usually "GEMS" are premium currency and by paying real money you get lots of them, as opposed to playing for free you get to waste your time and be given GEMS in dribs and drabs.

This is kind of slightly different as it exists outside of the game itself and is a currency that be earned by playing games.

I know of 5 people including friends that had a trophy popping binge at some point, although all of them stopped midway through the ratalaika period.

I still think it's fine is people want to play these games but I do worry about the underlying issue and well being of people invested in this system.

I recently reached 200 platinums and even I was thinking my god this trophy collecting nonsense is all kinda pointless really, I don't know I bothered taking this much of an interest in it.

However in my case, I can look back on the fun memories of all the games I played, and it's a record of all the games for the past decade that I have enjoyed playing and I never played shitty games for trophies.

But if it was anticlimactic for me. I can't imagine what it might feel like to get 1000 platinums and have similar feelings, and that guilt of having wasted a lot of time, money and your life getting to that point and likely regretting it later.

But hey at least getting 1000 platinums is a valid goal and one that isn't time sensitive and exists in your own universe. Imagine trying to be top of the leaderboards in that never ending race and trying to stay there.

• Like 1

Tomorrow when I wake up this will probably be deleted but anyway...

I've met a lot of people who "destroyed" their profiles with this crap, accounts that were prestigious and now you can't find a single real game on their list.

With all due respect to my friends and people I know who play this shit, but this cannot be considered gaming. This isn't a game, it can't be.

I believe that at a certain point there is no more satisfaction in seeing platinum appear on the TV screen. it must be like a non-orgasmic ejaculation or something. a solution might be to play this crap and then a few real games after that, but the mental drain must be huge.

14 minutes ago, JoeNDM said:

It just dawned on me that trophies are kind of like a metagame, and these shovelware games are essentially just microtransactions.

It's almost akin to mining for bitcoin on a super computer.

Except, instead it's you earning the bitcoin manually by hand, and you're being sold 100% guaranteed winning scratch cards from people using real world money, and paying for the privilege. You're making and knowingly operating at a loss. (Unlike Bitcoin where you're hoping to make a profit and not a loss)

Since trophies are made every day and pumped into the system, and sold by cash and not an invest, it's basically the world's largest quantitative easing scam, with guaranteed diminishing returns over time. (Any guy at the top of the leaderboard who started and earned a shit ton of platinums from the PS3 era, that value has been wiped away, we're already at the top where playing anygame that takes over an hour to finish is a waste of your time)

Also, since it only ever exists on one place simultaneously online, it's basically an NFT, but one that can't be traded with anybody and has no value

The only value really against other people also trying to do the same thing, Pyrite mining! In a nut shell.

Edited by enaysoft

2 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It's almost akin to mining for bitcoin on a super computer.

Except, instead it's you earning the bitcoin manually by hand, and you're being sold 100% guaranteed winning scratch cards from people using real world money, and paying for the privilege. You're making and knowingly operating at a loss. (Unlike Bitcoin where you're hoping to make a profit and not a loss)

Also, since it only ever exists on one place simultaneously online, it's basically an NFT, but one that can't be traded with anybody and has no value

The only value really against other people also trying to do the same thing, Pyrite mining! In a nut shell.

Ooooh that's a really interesting point. It's absolute scammery really.

26 minutes ago, trampgav said:

I agree. I have fallen into the trap of buying some of these easy games but I have learned my lesson. I loved getting plats and my time was limited so yeh, I gave in. There was no way of knowing it would take over the industry and after seeing my numbers grow it felt false. It was like going from enjoying whiskey to drinking nail polish to get drunk. I felt like I had medals for beating a three year old in a running race. When this first started there was no way to know it would get this bad so I don’t judge anyone with an unstacked handful of these. 

Oh I completely agree. That's the thing, someone earlier mentioned "gate keeping" and I agree with that also.

That's the issue we have now though, I am also against gate keeping too, but banning / preventing these scam games from being released.

As it is recently through certain of the days, and as it is right now on a Sunday afternoon (for Japan anyway), the "New Trophy Lists" section shows no actual games.

Leaving the gates wide open (so to speak) is just letting all sorts of shit through the door. Also, are we just going to allow people addicted to this trend to keep buying? If I had a problem gambler friend I'd want to help them. A very light form of gatekeeping is needed, I mean we all know what games that need restricting.

If I had a friend drinking nail polish every day and he said "Oh but I got lots of exercise and have a healthy diet so it's not that much of a problem if I drink one a day", i'd be like but erm yeah, your drinking nail polish, that's still bad though.

Or maybe we should all just ignore the problem like some people suggest?

You know, ignore it completely!

Ignoring things always solves the issue right?

A bit like global warming.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Oh I completely agree. That's the thing, someone earlier mentioned "gate keeping" and I agree with that also.

That's the issue we have now though, I am also against gate keeping too, but banning / preventing these scam games from being released.

As it is recently through certain of the days, and as it is right now on a Sunday afternoon (for Japan anyway), the "New Trophy Lists" section shows no actual games.

Leaving the gates wide open (so to speak) is just letting all sorts of shit through the door. Also, are we just going to allow people addicted to this trend to keep buying? If I had a problem gambler friend I'd want to help them. A very light form of gatekeeping is needed, I mean we all know what games that need restricting.

If I had a friend drinking nail polish every day and he said "Oh but I got lots of exercise and have a healthy diet so it's not that much of a problem if I drink one a day", i'd be like but erm yeah, your drinking nail polish, that's still bad though.

Or maybe we should all just ignore the problem like some people suggest?

You know, ignore it completely!

Ignoring things always solves the issue right?

A bit like global warming.

I think it is less about restricting what games can be and more about having a clear minimum requirement for the type of trophies earned. For example:

• Platinums are only allowed for games in which it would take a minimum 1hr to acquire (I know depending on skill some can complete games really fast, but I mean that it is physically impossible to earn the platinum in under an hour). 
  • You can't have more gold trophies in a list than silver and you can't have more silver trophies than bronze.

This way no one is saying these types of games cannot be published, but there would be no incentive to make them because they are only being made/played for the platinum. It would mean that easy games such as the Ratlaika variety could still be valid because the games they make usually last more than an hour; it would just be their trophy requirements that need tweaking a little.

5 hours ago, Ozetkiller said:

well think of it this way, while you may of quit months ago, there is people who are just starting. and some of us have 10+ years advantage on them of gaming.

• Like 1