Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

People who complain about easy trophies are the same who complain about hard or online trophies... I ignore all of em hahaha! It is what it is people. Play and collect what YOU want. Why worry about what others are collecting? I just laugh off anyone who is seriously mad or upset about it.

• Like 4

Couldn't care about easy or hard games I play both. If people want to spam 500 rata games let them go at it. It's there money not mine.

From my own perspective I sometimes invest weeks into a game and then I just want some trash game to relax and get some free trophies.

Good example would be just 15 minutes ago. I finished Mafia II: Definitive Edition+DLC'S and my brain was just fried after spending 3 days non stop to get the notorious 1000 miles trophy. After that I burned €0,99 and $0,99 to get 2 games which are just a big troll called Chickens on the road. Who comes up with these horrible games?

Another example from my perspective would be my childhood at school :P 

I played tons of shitty flash games on newgrounds and other stupid "gaming" websites. Atleast now I have a nice paycheck each month to get trophies for playing those trash games.

• Like 1

In my case, I like easy platinums once in a while, but platinums that you can earn within 15-30 minutes of gameplay (and sometimes even less) are just atrocious.

I know that my profile is not very impressive, since I don’t like hard games/platinums, but I think it’s decent and I want to keep it that way.

I don’t think Ratalaika’s games are trash per se, like some people are calling them, but the trophy lists, in general, are. A shame, since I would like to play some of the ones that have Vita versions, but I always avoid them when I see that people unlock the platinum in 20 minutes.

• Like 4

On 05/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Carol said:

In my case, I like easy platinums once in a while, but platinums that you can earn within 15-30 minutes of gameplay (and sometimes even less) are just atrocious.

I know that my profile is not very impressive, since I don’t like hard games/platinums, but I think it’s decent and I want to keep it that way.

I don’t think Ratalaika’s games are trash per se, like some people are calling them, but the trophy lists, in general, are. A shame, since I would like to play some of the ones that have Vita versions, but I always avoid them when I see that people unlock the platinum in 20 minutes.

I'm sure your profile is impressive compared to mine only got a handfull of plats i'm proud of

Honestly, the 'so many people complaining' are pretty much just the same 20 or so people and a slightly larger group that aren't posting anything more than "yeah I agree!". It seems like more because 10 of the 20 or so people are among the most active posters on this forum and make it a point to repost the same rant at least twice in every thread.

11 hours ago, enaysoft said:

It's all about keeping up your score, people complaining about easy trophies are usually the people playing all the easy games. Each time a new easy game comes out, it sets an extra layer for the ceiling (floor) in which every single person chasing the leaderboards has to play that game and of course buy it in order keep up.

This, right here. Achievement hunting, doesn't matter the platform, is a 'keeping up with the Joneses' kind of meta-game. If you plan on holding a particular position or moving higher, you're getting everything you can or accepting you'll be moving down the list. The higher up you are, like Hakoom, the more that one point from that 10 minute platinum means.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, Elvick_ said:

It literally didn’t since they have always held no value. How does something with no real value get devalued? They’re digital pictures attached to an online service profile. They were devalued in your subjective view, but not everyone shares your opinion. I don’t understand why people don’t grasp this. They only have a subjective value, a value most people in the world hold at zero as well.

Saying this is redundant at this point.

I feel sports is the only true profession anymore where talent and experience are still important. Hollywood is full of hacks, talentless jerkoffs and conmen looking to scam people, all the movies that get anything these days are multi-million dollar DC/Marvel superhero movies and the 100th Star Wars sequel that sinks the franchise even further. In the past, actors had to have charisma, talent and longevity to make it in the business. Today you can be Kim Kardashian or Kylie Jenner, both talentless socialites who can get any contract in any movie or TV show. The standards have been lowered considerably. I feel that's the kind of thing trophy hunters are making comparisons of.

Don't get me started on modern music. Mostly trash, with garbage like Florida Georgia Line and Taylor Swift still making tons of money despite a hoard of people criticizing them.

Back to gaming, I personally don't care if somebody has a 10 percent completion rate on their profile with Super Meat Boy done. If they did the game legit, that's great, that's awesome. The problem starts when these people who play mostly easy games start to bash on those judging them because they look at their trophy card in their signature. I worked hard to maintain my high completion percentage and have as much as I've done on my profile. Nobody or nothing can tell me otherwise, it's my personal accomplishments and I can look back and be proud of them. In all honesty that's all that really matters.

People have just as much right to look at a profile and judge it as the next guy. I don't look at profiles to see their trophy count or see how many games they finished, I like to look at them to see potential games I might be interested in. We always like to play new games we haven't touched before, and that's never a bad thing.

On 12/12/2020 at 9:56 PM, enaysoft said:

I noticed the other week when the guy complaining about I am Mayo 2, also had double plat on the first Mayo game. Ironically a lot of the hardcore trophy hunters are starting to hate easy trophies, even though that's what they do.

They're hypocrites. I would be a hypocrite by saying don't buy some of them and play them because I have certainly done that.

The real issue is stuff like My Name is Mayo 2 is really a game selling the easy trophies. There are easy games worth playing in my opinion. The Little Acre, Back to the Future: The Game, Deponia, all easy point and clicks but they are worthwhile even if they didn't have achievements.

Slyde is another example of a game sold purely for the trophies, which most people on this website have seemingly forgotten by now. It's even easier than Ratalaika or My Name is Mayo 2. As a matter of fact, one of the easiest platinums you will ever get.

There is now a hefty time and money commitment which is getting harder to maintain now that easy trophies are coming out almost every day/week.

These people probably don't even have time to play any of the good games anymore, especially if you weren't starting over a decade ago..

Trophy hunting in general is a big money commitment. If someone thinks I didn't spend thousands of dollars to get to where I am trophy wise they are dead wrong.

@Unknown_v2_0 has mostly quit, I spoke to him via PM and he is one of the top trophy hunters. Getting to that high of a rank with that many trophies requires a huge investment. Even if I wanted to chase the rankings I don't have the money to do it. So instead I just keep a backlog of games I want to play, with the ability to add and remove games at any time depending on my preferences.

I can foresee in the future, "Trophy hunting" becoming classed as a medical condition akin to problem gambling at some point.

The issue is far bigger than that. We use our computers and television screens more than we ever did in the past. Even if COVID-19 didn't happen, millions and billions of people would still spend hours a day on their computers because everything is more efficient and faster than it is to spend money driving somewhere to buy something. That is today's world and the times we live in. Gone are the days where people just browsed the internet for a few minutes using old dinosaur dial-up internet and accessing their e-mail through America Online (YOU GOT MAIL!). Anybody remember that? I still do even after all this time.

I see a lot of people on Twitch.tv stream 12 - 24 hours at a stretch, with hardly any breaks in-between. That is not healthy, that is an addiction. I can barely go 10 hours in a day without feeling downright miserable and pathetic, I have to exercise and get some workouts.

"Trophy hunting" is just a little hobby to what is really video game addiction and computer addiction. People can't stop playing just like they can't stop gambling while throwing away their life savings.

It's all Quantity over Quality at this point, and since now we have Vita, PS3, PS4 and now PS5, you could quite easily set yourself up a gaming studio with all 4 systems running having multiple games on the go.

You can basically save transfer to the PS5 version of Marvel's Spider-Man autopopping everything but the new DLC trophies that are exclusive to the PS5. So it's already trophy whoring and getting easy trophies at the expense of putting in the time, effort and dedication towards earning them.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:25 AM, Jelly Soup said:

This, right here. Achievement hunting, doesn't matter the platform, is a 'keeping up with the Joneses' kind of meta-game. If you plan on holding a particular position or moving higher, you're getting everything you can or accepting you'll be moving down the list. The higher up you are, like Hakoom, the more that one point from that 10 minute platinum means.

Basically meaning the Joneses as far as their talent and experience go are low on the totem pole. I really don't care about the leaderboards at this point, since the raw platinum count means nothing anymore. Some people are going to get mad that I said this, but they don't concern me.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

The issue is far bigger than that. We use our computers and television screens more than we ever did in the past. Even if COVID-19 didn't happen, millions and billions of people would still spend hours a day on their computers because everything is more efficient and faster than it is to spend money driving somewhere to buy something. That is today's world and the times we live in. Gone are the days where people just browsed the internet for a few minutes using old dinosaur dial-up internet and accessing their e-mail through America Online (YOU GOT MAIL!). Anybody remember that? I still do even after all this time.

I see a lot of people on Twitch.tv stream 12 - 24 hours at a stretch, with hardly any breaks in-between. That is not healthy, that is an addiction. I can barely go 10 hours in a day without feeling downright miserable and pathetic, I have to exercise and get some workouts.

There's an unfortunate issue with general human discourse in general at the moment. In 1996 or so I got really addicted to the Internet because it was endless. I did curb it though and managed to control my time. Before it was great because if you disconnected from the Internet it was over. Now consoles go on the Internet and we have it in the palm of our hands. I remember last year at a restaurant with my family. Another table had a mum, dad, son and daughter family, and all four sat in silence all looking down at their smartphones of the same brand waiting for their food to arrive. Then the mother went to the toilet taking her phone with her.

I honestly worry about the future of humanity. There are so many people who aren't fully equipped to handle the world and many can't hold down even the mediocre of difficult jobs, that of course if there even if a job for them.

You know what I'm nostalgic for right now?

Boredom!

Anyone, remember that?

Not including my ever lasting and ever increasing backlog of games to play, just youtube alone has an inifnite amount of new content each day that I can never watch it, everyday. So much content to consume and so little time. It is genuinely odd that trophy hunting is such a hobby now, all you are earning is numbers stores on a server somewhere. No real world value, infact you actually exchanged your money and spare time in order to accumulate them.

I would hate to be a trophy hunter in the high ranks on this site, I mean if you give up or stop even for a moment, that's a whole lotta bad and easy games you need to buy and complete in order to pull your rank back and you'd only look back all the time and money you wasted, and for nothing.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

There's an unfortunate issue with general human discourse in general at the moment. In 1996 or so I got really addicted to the Internet because it was endless. I did curb it though and managed to control my time. Before it was great because if you disconnected from the Internet it was over. Now consoles go on the Internet and we have it in the palm of our hands. I remember last year at a restaurant with my family. Another table had a mum, dad, son and daughter family, and all four sat in silence all looking down at their smartphones of the same brand waiting for their food to arrive. Then the mother went to the toilet taking her phone with her.

Accessibility is what I feel is the ultimate problem. Back in 1996 you had to record shows on VHS tape, you had to wait for that show to air on DIRECTV or Dish Network, and because most shows only came out with one new episode a week, you had to wait like everyone else. 1996 was definitely the glory days of AOL and dial-up internet, all of which had to be physically hooked up to your PC which had a fat ass computer monitor which weighed a ton. No Wi-FI back then. No smartphones back then, my 66 year old dad had an old brickphone which only got a signal when he went into the more populated towns. Out where we lived, it was useless.

I can pick so much at the palm of our hands now, but I'm no longer excited for much of it. Even if I miss something, I can more than easily pick it up through a streaming service. And.... it's just boring.

38 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I honestly worry about the future of humanity. There are so many people who aren't fully equipped to handle the world and many can't hold down even the mediocre of difficult jobs, that of course if there even if a job for them.

There are people well in their 30s who can't even hold the most basic of jobs. Your generation was one of the last to really experience the pre-internet days. I was one of the first to jump on the MySpace craze back when it became mega popular, then around 2006 - 2007 I made my Facebook account, when Facebook was a lot more calm and content. Compared to today however, we weren't as afraid of the real world.

My sister is around your age and she already held several jobs by the late 1990s/early 2000s. Nowadays a lot of college aged kids never even worked a McDonalds like job, and they live on their parents funding. They're not being prepared for the future, and sadly there's not a lot available that will help prepare them either.

42 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

You know what I'm nostalgic for right now?

Boredom!

Anyone, remember that?

Yes, but the boredom you're speaking of isn't the boredom I'm experiencing.

43 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Not including my ever lasting and ever increasing backlog of games to play, just youtube alone has an inifnite amount of new content each day that I can never watch it, everyday. So much content to consume and so little time. It is genuinely odd that trophy hunting is such a hobby now, all you are earning is numbers stores on a server somewhere. No real world value, infact you actually exchanged your money and spare time in order to accumulate them.

I would hate to be a trophy hunter in the high ranks on this site, I mean if you give up or stop even for a moment, that's a whole lotta bad and easy games you need to buy and complete in order to pull your rank back and you'd only look back all the time and money you wasted, and for nothing.

I was doing rankings and achievements before achievements were even a thing, on MMOs like World of Warcraft and Runescape. Trophy hunting sort of replaces what I used to do in those MMOs back in the day. I definitely prefer being able to play a lot of games while paying a cheaper price for PS Plus than to pay $14.99 a month for WoW, or around $7 - 10 a month for Runescape.

The only real value is what you make of your accomplishments. For most everyone else, there's no value whatsoever.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Basically meaning the Joneses as far as their talent and experience go are low on the totem pole.

That's the point of the phrase, yes. The Jones Effect is about humans trying to keep up with other humans in a pointless consumer race with no meaning or end. You normally only see it in the very middle and the very top of whatever pillar is being talked about at the time. The middle wants to be on top and the top wants to stay on top. Most other positions don't care.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Some people are going to get mad that I said this, but they don't concern me.

You know, it's odd to me that you say stuff like this a lot. If you don't care and they didn't concern you, I'd think you wouldn't feel the need to keep pointing it out. Comes off as a bit of a moody teenager thing, which, now I think of it, is a common criticism of your behavior. Regardless, 99% of the posters here aren't going to be bothered by your opinion, man, you're welcome to one and so are they.

Edited by Jelly Soup
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

That's the point of the phrase, yes. The Jones Effect is about humans trying to keep up with other humans in a pointless consumer race with no meaning or end. You normally only see it in the very middle and the very top of whatever pillar is being talked about at the time. The middle wants to be on top and the top wants to stay on top. Most other positions don't care.

That’s capitalism in a nutshell. 

Talent and longevity don’t matter anymore. Keeping up with Jones is just as fruitless as following Kim Kardashian’s Instagram profile. She makes Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan look good, and that is saying something.

I’m at the bottom, always have been. So are most, but they don’t care like you said. 

13 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

You know, it's odd to me that you say stuff like this a lot. If you don't care and they didn't concern you, I'd think you wouldn't feel the need to keep pointing it out. Comes off as a bit of a moody teenager thing, which, now I think of it, is a common criticism of your behavior. Regardless, 99% of the posters here aren't going to be bothered by your opinion, man, you're welcome to one and so are they.

I get this on basically every forum I’ve ever been to. I’ve always had a few people hate me because I come off as outspoken and moody. 

I can just leave, which I’ve done in the past, and based on your posts, probably wouldn’t mind that either.

21 hours ago, Spaz said:

Saying this is redundant at this point.

I feel sports is the only true profession anymore where talent and experience are still important. Hollywood is full of hacks, talentless jerkoffs and conmen looking to scam people, all the movies that get anything these days are multi-million dollar DC/Marvel superhero movies and the 100th Star Wars sequel that sinks the franchise even further. In the past, actors had to have charisma, talent and longevity to make it in the business. Today you can be Kim Kardashian or Kylie Jenner, both talentless socialites who can get any contract in any movie or TV show. The standards have been lowered considerably. I feel that's the kind of thing trophy hunters are making comparisons of.

Don't get me started on modern music. Mostly trash, with garbage like Florida Georgia Line and Taylor Swift still making tons of money despite a hoard of people criticizing them.

Back to gaming, I personally don't care if somebody has a 10 percent completion rate on their profile with Super Meat Boy done. If they did the game legit, that's great, that's awesome. The problem starts when these people who play mostly easy games start to bash on those judging them because they look at their trophy card in their signature. I worked hard to maintain my high completion percentage and have as much as I've done on my profile. Nobody or nothing can tell me otherwise, it's my personal accomplishments and I can look back and be proud of them. In all honesty that's all that really matters.

People have just as much right to look at a profile and judge it as the next guy. I don't look at profiles to see their trophy count or see how many games they finished, I like to look at them to see potential games I might be interested in. We always like to play new games we haven't touched before, and that's never a bad thing.

They're hypocrites. I would be a hypocrite by saying don't buy some of them and play them because I have certainly done that.

The real issue is stuff like My Name is Mayo 2 is really a game selling the easy trophies. There are easy games worth playing in my opinion. The Little Acre, Back to the Future: The Game, Deponia, all easy point and clicks but they are worthwhile even if they didn't have achievements.

Slyde is another example of a game sold purely for the trophies, which most people on this website have seemingly forgotten by now. It's even easier than Ratalaika or My Name is Mayo 2. As a matter of fact, one of the easiest platinums you will ever get.

Trophy hunting in general is a big money commitment. If someone thinks I didn't spend thousands of dollars to get to where I am trophy wise they are dead wrong.

@Unknown_v2_0 has mostly quit, I spoke to him via PM and he is one of the top trophy hunters. Getting to that high of a rank with that many trophies requires a huge investment. Even if I wanted to chase the rankings I don't have the money to do it. So instead I just keep a backlog of games I want to play, with the ability to add and remove games at any time depending on my preferences.

"Trophy hunting" is just a little hobby to what is really video game addiction and computer addiction. People can't stop playing just like they can't stop gambling while throwing away their life savings.

You can basically save transfer to the PS5 version of Marvel's Spider-Man autopopping everything but the new DLC trophies that are exclusive to the PS5. So it's already trophy whoring and getting easy trophies at the expense of putting in the time, effort and dedication towards earning them.

Basically meaning the Joneses as far as their talent and experience go are low on the totem pole. I really don't care about the leaderboards at this point, since the raw platinum count means nothing anymore. Some people are going to get mad that I said this, but they don't concern me.

Didn't unknown get busted for cheating murder soul suspect for auto popping collectibles just like hakoom did with dead to rights

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

I get this on basically every forum I’ve ever been to. I’ve always had a few people hate me because I come off as outspoken and moody. 

I can just leave, which I’ve done in the past, and based on your posts, probably wouldn’t mind that either.

Stop....just assuming everyone who responds to these things like they want your head, man. I wouldn't mind either way. Stay, go, it's your business and no one is calling for you to be drummed out.

Just...chill, dude.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

Stop....just assuming everyone who responds to these things like they want your head, man. I wouldn't mind either way. Stay, go, it's your business and no one is calling for you to be drummed out.

Just...chill, dude.

I have nothing further to add on this. You will be blocked, because I don't appreciate this kind of behavior directed at me.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:26 PM, ScottishNub said:

Didn't unknown get busted for cheating murder soul suspect for auto popping collectibles just like hakoom did with dead to rights

Never knew that. Another high ranking player got flagged for suspicious timestamps, but none of it matters really. A lot of people have basically used exploits, glitches, cheats (eg. GTA III and Vice City), save scumming via storage cloud on PSN or USB stick, etc etc. The only thing we really seem to agree on is outright cheating, via using a hacked console or using custom timestamps.

The line is so greyed out at this point it becomes a debate as to what deserves flagging. The Disputes subforum here is just a mess of arguments that never go anywhere.

15 hours ago, Nelson_Otaku said:

Funny thing is this games being released on daily basis.

True. Some of those games are decent, but most of them are simply trash shovelware that originated from Steam. Quantity over quality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I see why people think it's annoying that you can be "the best" trophy hunter in the world, by playing a bunch of easy bullcrap. And some people play a lot of hard and long games, and get little trophy points for it.

But i don't care about the leaderboards, for me, i only go for trophies in games i love. So the platinums for me, is something i enjoy, not for others to see, but for me to know i did it.

• Like 4

Because their mothers' didn't hug them enough.

That might seem like a cheap joke, but I'm actually deadly serious - the mentality is set early, usually in childhood, and is not an easy one to break.

It's about validation for their own efforts. They feel that they had to struggle for their own feelings of self-worth, and recoil at seeing others feel the same validation they do without the struggle. It came harder for them, so they feel like it should be harder to come by for others.

They see someone else getting a platinum medal with less effort than they put in for their own ones as cheapening their own.

It's the same argument bigots make about gay marriage 'cheapening' their own hetro-marriage. As if the actions of others affects the validity of their own worth.

What they forget though, is that the solution is not to be snide and negative. It's not to try to bring down the other people. Pulling someone else down doesn't make you taller. It just brings everyone low. 

The solution is just not to care.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4