Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

5 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

It's not taboo, it's just goddamn old at this point. Always the same names making the same points, each time with more words than the last, some people come in with some variation of 'let people play what they want', the same names from before agree for the umpteenth time that there's nothing to be done and then Spaz/AJ bursts in like the kool-aid man to wank about the 80s/early 90s. The sound and fury blends together eventually into a tidal wave of who-the-hell-cares.

lol. I must have missed this post.

Man, I'm having a wank about the 80 and 90s all the time. happy wanker and proud!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nauticus87 said:

*snip

It seems we've got our wires crossed somewhere along the line, my apologies if I came across as rude, and perhaps I could have explained my point of view more concisely. You live and you learn.

My main point I was trying to make is that at the end of the day, whether it's addiction or not, or something else entirely, what is the solution to the issue? I've already said that I believe it isn't up to Sony to do something about it, and stated my reasons why I think that's the case. You may disagree. So what does that leave? Protesting the developers involved? Creating petitions? Nagging Sony in the hope they'll do something about it? Or just raising awareness and hoping the number chasers see sense and stop buying these games? I really don't know myself honestly. I think that's why a lot of people come to the conclusion that you deem dangerous: "ignore and move on", because ultimately we don't think that anything can be done. 

Even when you look at microtransactions, which have (rightfully) had a massive crusade against them, there has been little done in the scheme of things to quell them entirely. Belgium and the Netherlands highly regulate games with MTXs, and some other countries require warning labels on such games. Other countries such as the UK have been looking into it, but none of these regulations have really done anything to put a stop to them. The reason I bring this up is because you liken these games to microtransactions (you could debate that one way or the other), but seeing the little impact that regulation has had on MTXs, which are far more widespread, invasive and dangerous, do you really think games like this are high on the priority list, or even capable of being stopped to begin with? 

If legislation fails to ban such games, that leaves the responsibility squarely with the platform holders, and as I mentioned previously, I can't ever see them introducing a form of quality control. It's also a slippery slope to go down. What are the parameters? How would you go about it? You quickly start running into practical issues. And it'd all be for something that only affects such a miniscule percentage of the player base to begin with. I think it's logical to just allow everything, rather than trying to introduce subjective, arbitrary and risky rules about what is allowed and what isn't allowed on the store. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Snipped

I can see where you're coming from now and the clarification is appreciated. This is exactly what I like, having a heated debate and having all sides heard, none of us going for the personal attack. I wouldn't say you were rude, maybe just frustrated at the repetitious nature of all of this? Believe me, I'm there too, this entire thing is an exercise in frustration, though we may see the frustration from different angles.

You make very valid points here, and I honestly don't have the answers. Wish I did.

I don't think games like this are high on the priority list. It's certainly not as widespread an issue as microtransactions or loot boxes. But maybe for that reason it should be a high priority, because those were small once too, and perhaps this time with enough opposition we can avoid it ballooning into a bigger issue like they have. How to do that though, that's beyond me.

I guess I feel that it's important to keep bringing it up even if it seems pointless, if only to keep it as a known issue to those who might be new to this hobby. So many things get brushed away, quietly ignored until the next person affected by it speaks up. I really do want to try to help people avoid those pitfalls where they might end up addicted to a hobby for all the wrong reasons, spending money they don't have on games they don't want for arbitrary internet leaderboard points and being unhappy. I know how mentally debilitating a situation like that can be.

Even if nothing can be done, I think we should keep speaking out, but I respect where you're coming from and why you think differently. It's like screaming into the void.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Lion_Squid said:

Man, you say the PS store is a pain to navigate with all the crap spam, well I used to keep an eye on new releases via the new trophy lists on this website 1f480.png

Yeah, usually the front page is covered with the 6-8 stacks of the weekly jumping or letter game xD

I used to check on top5 profiles to see what they are playing. Nowadays you can click on anyone from top100 and you will see the same spam everywhere. The top rankers need to buy all that shovelware to stay afloat, otherwise they would fall down the ladder. They have no other choice. It's boring. These titles aren't even bad games, they are not games at all. Hold X to see a gif of a burger flop on your screen and get your platinum in 30 seconds - the developers aren't pretending to make games anymore, they only exist for trophies. 

What's next? How about a trophy subscription service which automatically uploads 15 dummy platinums to your account every month? Only 14,99$, get yours now!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jelly Soup said:

It's not taboo, it's just goddamn old at this point. Always the same names making the same points, each time with more words than the last, some people come in with some variation of 'let people play what they want', the same names from before agree for the umpteenth time that there's nothing to be done and then Spaz/AJ bursts in like the kool-aid man to wank about the 80s/early 90s. The sound and fury blends together eventually into a tidal wave of who-the-hell-cares.

lol absolutely hilarious i love this forum ?

All of those games that take 5-30 minutes to platinum should have never had a platinum trophy. They should have only had a trophy list like all of those games on PS3 that you could get 100% in a game like Sonic 2, Limbo, Echochrome, Toe Jam & Earl, etc. 

Edited by x7251

Essentially, the only people "affected" (indirectly) are us trophy hunters. And like it or not, we are a tiny portion of gamers. In the grand scheme of things, "normies" don't even know what these games and this culture are. I mean normal people aren't affected in any way by this predatory practice, I don't see a way for Sony to stop what's happening because it's like a storm in a teapot, there are no real ones affected here, we are not voice enough.

If there was a huge megathread on Resetera, or articles, or whatever highlighting this issue, and then it became a real thing, maybe something could be done in the long run. Otherwise, the only way to "fight" this practice is if there is no more demand. In other words, a radical change in the culture of this niche. Maybe Youtubers from that medium, some famous ones like BadDriver etc, could start a campaign or something to influence the average thought. However, this is obviously not going to happen lmao, because they only exist and are something due to this culture that feeds them.

13 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Says the dude who is playing Ms Pac Man on his trophy account.

If you can't tell the difference between playing some Pac-Man and interrupting a thread to fellate literally everything from Pac-Man's birth year, I don't know what to tell you.

And I like you just fine, dude. But you a reputation for going off on long hardly related tangents and then being super thin skinned when people rib you about it.

If we're going to start an 80/90 frot-fest, may as well take some of the better ideas for current use. How about Sony/PSN attempts a publisher submission limit like Nintendo did back in those days. It won't work for a number of reasons and it would mean less money for papa Sony overall, but the slight inconvenience would stop smaller abusers.

Edited by Jelly Soup

Now we have Vump Jump lol what in the hell is even that? and lmao at the pickle run.

Let the circus train continue until it got no destination, this madness has turned out so hilarious now. Being Sony California doesn't help either.

Edited by Nelson_

I only really find it bothersome when I see something I think would be cool but no it was something tossed together with no love just to sell trophies. I just grumble a bit and move on, though.

There was some game last year I got cause it was a take on Frogger but didn't realize until I bought it what I had just done.

10 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I'm not even bothering with any of those games at this point. I'm just doing total completion % and doing as many games in a single series as possible. I just finished all 4 Fate games. Were the first two games considered easy platinums? Probably, but the other games in the series are not.

Those 2 Fates are now considered hard by these days standard

Edited by Nelson_

On 7/31/2022 at 0:01 PM, Silver-I-Chariot said:

This is the best description of AJ ever. Impressive. 

Satisfy your itch? Here’s a free cookie. 

On 7/31/2022 at 3:19 PM, Jelly Soup said:

If you can't tell the difference between playing some Pac-Man and interrupting a thread to fellate literally everything from Pac-Man's birth year, I don't know what to tell you.

And I like you just fine, dude. But you a reputation for going off on long hardly related tangents and then being super thin skinned when people rib you about it.

If we're going to start an 80/90 frot-fest, may as well take some of the better ideas for current use. How about Sony/PSN attempts a publisher submission limit like Nintendo did back in those days. It won't work for a number of reasons and it would mean less money for papa Sony overall, but the slight inconvenience would stop smaller abusers.

There’s a lot from that generation I don’t miss at all. People were more prejudiced. People were more racist. It was far more difficult to get your ideas across due to lack of internet. 

I can only speak of the 90s because I’m only in my mid 30s. My only recollection of the 80s is thru old news reels and video clips people uploaded onto YouTube. 

I have however played enough NES and SNES games in my time to know there was a lot of shit back then. Watch any episode of Angry Video Game Nerd, we all know who he is. That Nintendo ‘Seal of Approval’ really didn’t mean much. I doubt the people who had that in place actually played games. 

Those old video games were broken and virtually next to impossible to beat. These hack games are structurally well designed and they play well. They were just designed to make a quick buck because the achievements are the only things that matter. 

If anything, a filter would be great. Sony couldn’t care less what we do, but a filter on PSNProfiles would be very good, so actual games aren’t bogged down by all the shovelware and hack games.

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Satisfy your itch? Here’s a free cookie. 

Don't take it personally, AJ, I actually enjoy reading your posts. But you have to admit that his description of you is not without merit.

9 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Watch any episode of Angry Video Game Nerd

No, please don't. He sold out and his show became so bad, it deserves its own AVGN episode. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

Don't take it personally, AJ, I actually enjoy reading your posts. But you have to admit that his description of you is not without merit.

I’m a pretty mellow, reserved guy in person. Though on the internet, I can sound like a drunk raving in the subway. 

Who you see on the surface isn’t always the person you see in reality. 

14 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

No, please don't. He sold out and his show became so bad, it deserves its own AVGN episode. 

AVGN is in his 40s. Family man, has a child, doesn’t have near the time like he used to. 

If anything I can’t stand that coward Mike Matei. He’s thin skinned and he practically started up a lot of shit just because. Though it’s sad to see a guy also in his 40s resort to teenage behavior. 

Because many gamers feel like their own gaming experience is somehow threatened by what other random players decide to play/do, instead of worrying about their own time and enjoyment. They do not want to evaulate what their own prioritys are, so instead, they become paranoid with what the guy down the street is doing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Countrydude1989 said:

Because many gamers feel like their own gaming experience is somehow threatened by what other random players decide to play/do

I wouldn't say threatened but it does affect us in one way or the other. If you see a homeless dude take a shit on the street, does it threaten you?

• Like 2