Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

On 01/08/2022 at 11:27 PM, Jelly Soup said:

Slight misconception on the 'wouldn't get a platinum trophy' part. The rule was always that a game needed a certain number of trophies to qualify for a platinum trophy to be added, and it was an additional fee for that add. That rule hasn't changed, but the average number of trophies per non-triple A game has gone up and the platinum fee has gone down. Mixed with devs being disallowed to add trophies for already published games (exceptions and workarounds exist), this gives the illusion that Sony used to prevent this sort of behavior until they didn't. In reality it was always possible and the only real game changer was making a platinum cheaper to add.

This isn’t fully true either. Granted we don’t know exactly what the rules were/are but there have been multiple cases in the past where Sony straight up did not allow a dev to have a platinum when they requested it. PixelJunk Monsters HD on Vita is what always comes to mind for me personally which had 21 trophies. The next year PJ Shooter HD did get a plat with 26 other trophies, which was sad as Monsters was a much harder 100% to get. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris was another one that irks me personally. The full list (on other platforms) has 40 achievements while for us it wasn’t allowed to have a full platinum list, so we got an abridged list of 12. I think PS4 was the only one to have a physical disc release as well. Made no sense at all. 

On a side note: I can’t imagine how this is going to go with PlayStation Stars coming. Imagine people getting the same loyalty rewards doing loads of five minute (if that) crapware games to people doing Yakuzas and RPGs etc. Crazy. 

• Like 1

There has been a lot of discussion on easy platinums lately so I wanted to share my take.

All that matters is you are playing games you enjoy, if you like getting the easy platinums then good on you, I think you shouldn’t listen to anyone else and carry on with what you enjoy. 

Whilst i don’t exactly care if someone is getting easier platinums, I will admit that I am more impressed when people show off their tough and grindy platinums than I am with easy platinums.

As for the leaderboards, I have only ever looked at them once, they are something I want to be impressed by but I find that on most of the top list I have to scroll through 100 of what’s pretty much the same game just to get to an actual game, it would be nice to have the opportunity to get on the leaderboards but I know that unless I start playing games that I don’t enjoy then it’s unlikely to happen so I don’t take much notice in them.

You know it's bad when someone who doesn't really check out the store that often (my bf) notices and comments on just how many of these garbage "games" there are and have been released recently. I mean, if they're making money obviously they're going to keep coming and no one is likely to do anything about them. My big complaint with them is now having to dig through all the crap to find the decent stuff that gets lost in all that. But if that's where you want to spend your time/money that's all you. It would be kind of nice if they would just chill for a hot minute though lol. 

• Like 1

I don't get the problem some people have with this. Sure, it makes the leaderboards completely worthless, but then again its chock full with account sharers anyway and rewards quantity over quality so nobody should give a crap about it to begin with. It preys on the addiction of people yes, but microtransactions do that too taking far more money off of people and most people complain far less about that these days as it has become the norm, as will this in due time. I see it as some talentless wannabe devs making garbage excuses for games for people with addictions or no standards whatsoever, financing the platform as a whole so I don't mind it at all, hell I might put my coding experience to use some day and make a few of these myself, buying a few assets and investing a few hours to make a game with 8 region stacks, then make 5 sequels for it  that also have 8 stacks each, sounds like a good investment.

We have seen other platforms like Steam go down the same route, abandoning all quality control, allowing the most garbage 10 second achievement spam games, allowing ethnic cleansing games, allowing rape games, allowing completely broken games that were literally unplayable for everyone, only ever cracking down on some of these if the reports kept flowing in. The one argument I get is that it clusters the store with garbage and buries better games beneath it, but lets be honest here how often do you really go through the store to just look for a game to buy? With how many games are using fake trailers, wrong feature lists and outright bs descriptions on the store front, not to mention the deletion of negative reviews, many people learned to properly look into a game by searching for somewhat neutral reviews or watch half an hour of a basic let's play for it. There is always asking other players for their secret indie game gems, not hard to open a thread like that here or in other related forums, and most of the bigger releases are still easy to find.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

I don't get the problem some people have with this. Sure, it makes the leaderboards completely worthless, but then again its chock full with account sharers anyway and rewards quantity over quality so nobody should give a crap about it to begin with.

Word. ?

The funny thing is... no one did, really.

I sometimes wonder if the folks nostalgically harking back to some fictitious, early, "halcyon days" of the leaderboard really remember things as they were, without the rose tinted glasses.

The Leaderboard on this site was only implemented in 2011...

...and by 2012, there were already complains  that "EZPZ" games had made it inaccessible to "Real Gamers" / "Non-no-lifers":

On 05/12/2012 at 1:24 AM, lporiginalg said:

I'm quite new here but one feature I would like to see came to mind as soon as I started looking around, a "Rarity Leaderboard"

Some people, like myself, enjoy going after the harder trophies, because we have lives outside of gaming, aren't part of a shared account, and thus will never accumulate 500 platinums or be able to compete with the people who can. But a rarity leaderboard would give us a chance to show off those hard trophies we've earned

Is it more inaccessible to the lay-person now?

Absolutely...

...but now, there are loads of other ways for people to feel a sense of community with more like-minded gamers - there are almost a thousand Checklists in the Checklist Subforum, countless Forum games, many, many community events...

the Leaderboards may be immaterial to most people...

...but they always were. 

It's just the nature of any all-encompassing ranking. 

Any ranking of sprinters is always going to have Usain Bolt at the top, no matter how you slice it.

That doesn't mean no one can have fun going for a jog... and they don't need to come up with some new way of measuring success just to see their names further up a list to do so :dunno:

• Like 3

I would be absolutely shocked if this wasn’t just a coincidence and that Sony engineers acted so quickly and competently for something like the PlayStation store. 

Might have just screwed some indie developers out of some attention, but probably easier to prey on the FOMO by putting Best Sellers first. 

@The Alchemist will know why I liked that post but...

Press X for Trophies has been removed from the store and all listings, and the developer has canceled the project. While I'm in the boat that it wasn't going to be press X for 3 minutes for plat, I'm disappointed he didn't get a chance to have his say. We've recently discovered so many shady practices happening within the "ezpz omg 1 minute plat developer" community --- NOT PLAYER COMMUNITY -- don't come at me for yelling. You play what you want babe. I love you for you and your plats, earn them as you please. But the devs involved with these have been far more shady than expected and I hate that "press X for trophies" was not related to them and got so much hate to the point that the project was canceled. 

I feel like they honestly had something to say, even ironically, and because of Jump this, turbo that, nitro this, animal A that, not even a chance. Most of these ezpz stackers 2 minute plats are the same person selling you these games across different names, oversaturating everything. I've always defended indies, I will not defend this. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dauersack said:

The one argument I get is that it clusters the store with garbage and buries better games beneath it, but lets be honest here how often do you really go through the store to just look for a game to buy?

I do this daily which is why it bothers me. I'm depressed and turn on my console to play something only to not know what to do and I end up scrolling through the store. I've been doing it even more so since getting gift cards for my birthday. Figured I'd respond to this since you are right under my post that specifically mentions this point.

Edited by Vulpine9Tails

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I would be absolutely shocked if this wasn’t just a coincidence and that Sony engineers acted so quickly and competently for something like the PlayStation store. 

I don't think it's just a coincidence tbh. A bunch of big videogame/PlayStation centric YouTubers all make videos about it recently, a thread on a PlayStation subreddit got big traction too, and now we get this change to the store out of nowhere? A change that specifically and negatively impacts the very games being discussed... It wouldn't be the first time this generation that we've seen Sony take quick action to rectify something that receives any sort of negative attention from people before it gets out of hand. 

Regarding your second point, if the devs being screwed out of attention happen to be the devs of these trash games, then I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

Quality control of PS games isn't what it used to be. I knew these games were easy, but I did not know they were this bad quality. Hold R1 for 60 seconds for the plat? And asset swap it to make 20 of them? 

Has a creator of these games every talked about this stuff? I believe the creator behind all the ThiGames (the jumping ones that all require you to press X a couple hundred times) is on here (PSN: https://psnprofiles.com/ThiKool). I wonder how they feel about all this. Or we could ask @Peto78_svk who is involved with the Cow G, the Pigeon P, the Girafe G, etc games.

Keep creating indie/easy games. Stop filling the stores with asset swaps, no more turbo or nitro variants, no more tweaking games so you can pass Sony's region requirements for no other reason than to sell the same game multiple times.

Edited by JayVR82
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 2:09 AM, Velvet said:

@The Alchemist will know why I liked that post but...

Press X for Trophies has been removed from the store and all listings, and the developer has canceled the project. While I'm in the boat that it wasn't going to be press X for 3 minutes for plat, I'm disappointed he didn't get a chance to have his say. We've recently discovered so many shady practices happening within the "ezpz omg 1 minute plat developer" community --- NOT PLAYER COMMUNITY -- don't come at me for yelling. You play what you want babe. I love you for you and your plats, earn them as you please. But the devs involved with these have been far more shady than expected and I hate that "press X for trophies" was not related to them and got so much hate to the point that the project was canceled. 

I feel like they honestly had something to say, even ironically, and because of Jump this, turbo that, nitro this, animal A that, not even a chance. Most of these ezpz stackers 2 minute plats are the same person selling you these games across different names, oversaturating everything. I've always defended indies, I will not defend this. 

I agree with what you are saying. And the irony is, that many games that are on the store now are even EASIER than press X for 3 minutes. Many allow you now to just hold R1 (like the Tiger T, the giraffe G, the sheep S etc) for 30-60 seconds to get the plat. 

Watch this guy play a easy game and be in absolute shock 11 minutes in. And watch when he plays the "Nitro" variant after that. Nobody needs those games.

Edited by JayVR82
typo
  • Like 3

Dear fellow gamers,

Im not the guy that normally posts stuff of his own, but i need to get this off my chest. The gaming community has taken a turn for the worse since some people/companies found out that some people will literally do anything to get as much trophies as possible is as little time as possible. 

Back in the days the terminator game was considered as a cheap plat for only having to complete each of the levels, racking up 10+ gold trophies and a quick plat. Shortly after i remember games like my name is mayo.. which back then seemed like a scummy game to plat. Just press X 10.000 times and pling... there you go... another cheap plat added to your collection. People even made an american account to be able to get that plat since the european version was only released later. Yes, i admit, i was one of them. But those were just single games... 

Just as we thought things couldnt get more sleezy... there was this series of breakthrough arcade gaming. I believe there are 15+ variations of them and then they made 2pl, 3pl and 4pl versions of them. Most of them even have cheats you can use to make the game even easier to complete. Standards of trophy hunting and the gaming industry in general got lowered yet again. 

But then... the games that have been released recently really make me puke. The jumping "x" (plus turbo version) and the dog d.. etc series really made me question what trophy hunting is about... for my part all those shovelware game trophies may be removed from ranking lists all together. Holding the R1 button for 2min and 41 seconds is not an accomplishment at all. I bet i can teach a braindead chimp to do that blindfolded with their hands tied behind their back while being swung in circles by their tails. This is just ABSURD and needs to stop! So please... stop buying and playing those games and keep some self respect. Lets get back to what trophies really where meant for. Experience everything the game has to offer, add some challenge to your games and brag with your skills! 

And for the AAA game makers my advice would be: stop making freaking remasters of games, you lazy fucks and come up with some new original content

I could go on for a few more minutes like this, but this post is already long enough as it is. Second_god over and out. Im goingg to go sit in a bath filled with icecubes to cool down now. ?

Edited by second_god
  • Like 3

Hi, are y'all also getting tired of these simple games flooding the PSN store? because i am, i mean sure they're easy to grab trophies but it looks like its getting out of hand and the games are beginning to flood the stores and leaving the better games out of reach, I know its an marketing strategy or whatever but its getting really annoying and PlayStation isn't doing anything about it even, they even let "Press X for Trophies" through, I mean can you even call that a game? Imo shovelware is beginning to take over, these shovelwares are coming each week, Its like they take 30min or so out of their time to put this together and throw it on the PSN store, Idk this is just my opinion on it, I have no right to say what you buy or don't buy but yeah just wanted to state my opinion on this matter, those devs are probably like: "here you go, another easy platinum for you to add to your collection because we know that you are gonna buy it anyway"

The main reason that i am writing this is that i am also one of many that has shovelware stuff amongst my platinums, and i don't feel like i deserve those platinums at all, I feel like i didn't put any effort in these shovelwares.

On 8/9/2022 at 0:36 PM, Ozetkiller said:

This was an well put together video by Mystic

23 hours ago, JayVR82 said:

I agree with what you are saying. And the irony is, that many games that are on the store now are even EASIER than press X for 3 minutes. Many allow you now to just hold R1 (like the Tiger T, the giraffe G, the sheep S etc) for 30-60 seconds to get the plat. 

Watch this guy play a easy game and be in absolute shock 11 minutes in. And watch when he plays the "Nitro" variant after that. Nobody needs those games.

I never knew someone could be this shocked when getting an platinum trophy, but yeah that's what you get when you play shovelware stuff, i mean Snow this, Snow turbo that, Where's the difference? Just putting an PNG of an Turbo on the backside of the car and job is done, and lets charge the people more because the only change in the whole game is an PNG Turbo.

Edited by II-BurnedSins-II

If these games didn’t have a platinum and were restricted to just being a 100% like a lot of PSN games were a decade ago these conversations wouldn’t have lasted for as long as they have. 

Because @ikemenzi and his ilk buy up the latest Jumping Taco titles the instant they are released and finish them. 

The leaderboards are a complete joke. Granted, I haven’t cared about them in five years now despite being in the 5000s world ranking until fairly recently.

Edited by AJ_Radio
Spell Check
  • Like 1

To be fair Ikemenzi is just one guy and him buying the games isn't really the problem. It's all the thousands of other people buying those games in order to catch up with him.

Ultimately the blame lies with Sony:

For allowing 8 stacks of the same game to exist

Allowing a user profile to have stacks from different regions to exist on the same profile

Sony allowing such obvious non games on their gaming platform

Sony allowing people who don't even live in certain areas of the world to fake an address and allow them to do purchases

" 13,000 GAMES PLAYED !!  "

It's also weird that stacks count as different games. The amount of unique games is probably only 25% of all these lists these days.

You can blame Sound Shapes @enaysoft, which is probably one of the very first games to have regional stacks. Until the servers shut in 2019, you could earn the platinum in one stack and autopop the other five stacks, which you could do dating back to 2014. 

It was the game that made a lot of trophy hunters make fake regional accounts, myself included. 

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Allowing a user profile to have stacks from different regions to exist on the same profile

Sony allowing people who don't even live in certain areas of the world to fake an address and allow them to do purchases

So why can't I play a game released in another region, or in my preferred language?

I get the grand picture of this thread, but this is a bit overboard

Edited by Maverick6146

I know im guilty in getting a few easy plats in my trophy hunting past (i have enjoyed most of them tho) but looking on here over the past few weeks especially,  the ps store and on here are getting massively flooded with different regions of these shitty games. Its getting behond a joke now. It makes you miss potential great games that get added onto the site.

I dont wanna be the one to tell people how to spend their money but can we please stop funding these devs until they start making at least half decent games.

I love this hobby but its getting wasted away by these games and am worried where this is going

• Like 4