Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I meant quality control in regards to trophies.

Still much better than Steam.  We have very few unobtainable trophies and the vast majority of those are caused by server closures after the trophies were obtainable for years.  We don't have shit like devs deciding to purposely put in a non-working trophy because they think trophy hunting is stupid or trophies tied to betas, preorders or other very time limited events.  We don't have devs being able to go in and remove working trophies, change their unlock requirements after release or be able to remove an entire trophy list that had been working.  What you're complaining about is that Sony should be judging a trophy list as good or bad.  That's none of their business and to be honest it shouldn't be something they do since players have incredibly varying opinions on what makes a good trophy list. The only thing that is Sony's business is ensuring that the absolute worst practices regarding trophies cannot be done.

Now I do get the complaint regarding stacks and don't think there should be stacks for the same trophy list by the same dev/publisher but the only difference is region and/or platform.  For example it makes sense for Ys VIII to have different trophy lists for PS4 and Vita because the PS4 version has additional content that is worthy of trophies.  It makes sense for the JP and English versions to have different stacks because the publisher is different.  It doesn't make sense for there to be a NA and EU stack of each because the publisher of those is the same company.  That is the only improvement I feel Sony should make.  All games should have worldwide trophy lists for all platforms unless a later release has new trophies or a different publisher.  But I feel that should be the case whether the game is an easy plat or a 100+ hour UR plat.  However, I don't think stacks are the worst thing ever, more annoying than terrible.

• Like 1

On the point about time commitment x healthy choices, it's worth remembering that a majority of the highest trophy counter users have been at this for two console generations at this point split between three systems. Even slightly above average spent time, if done regularly, will place someone higher on the list when spread out over nearly two decades. But this doesn't really change the point being made.

I've said it several times before, but achievement hunting, regardless of the platform, is a Keeping Up With The Joneses kind of creature. It's a numbers game, and you're either ok with that or you're not. I would encourage people to complete as they like, but try to not stress about it. This is supposed to be fun. :D

Personally, I focus more on my completion rate. My actual rank is just something I see and think "oh, neat" before pulling up my list of incompletes to work through.

Edited by Jelly Soup

Re: making a new leaderboard based on completion and rarity, wouldn’t that exclude then every account who “kept up with the Jones” while privileging the sect of elites who have been avoiding quicker platinums for moralistic reasons? 

I like the leaderboards, as is, personally. Plus, if you do that, you run into the same problem elitists are mentioning - you now will have a group of developers who “exploit” (not my word) gamers who want incredibly rare and difficult plats. And you’d create a whole new friction in this community about which leaderboard is better, and so forth. 

9 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

Re: making a new leaderboard based on completion and rarity, wouldn’t that exclude then every account who “kept up with the Jones” while privileging the sect of elites who have been avoiding quicker platinums for moralistic reasons? 

It would, yes. I find it more telling that there would be piles of people jumping in here to that saying "yeah, that's fine, fuck them".

There's no easy answer.

• Like 2

Keeping up with the Jones and Kim Kardashians shouldn't deserve any mention or award whatsoever. Doing whatever Kim Kardashian or Kayne West are doing trend wise is pretty fruitless to begin with. Apply that to trophy hunting, and you see a lot of similarities.

I don't think a rarity leaderboard would spark as much elitism as one might think, since those who truly care about rarity in the first place are a minority in a minority. There are many people with higher average rarity than me, there are several people with lower average rarity than me. Don't really care nonetheless, but if I were to measure the overall worth of an account (if I really cared to start), the lower the rarity, the better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

This leads me onto a small vent about much of the elitist crowd.

The one thing I always find hypocritical about the elitist 'ultra rare' trophies crowd is that indeed, the same 'problems' actually do exist.

They complain about Rata games/stacks, people playing easier games to inflate a number (platinums/trophies/level) and that every trophy whores profile 'looks the same'.

Go to one of these elitist profiles and you'll notice the following: Stacks, easy games with URs to inflate the count and guess what? Their profiles also all look the same with the exact same easy UR games/stacks littering their lists. Instead of Ratalaika it'll be the same PS+ inflated titles with a lot of URs such as, off the top of my head: Magicka 2, Injustice stacks, In Space We Brawl stacks (a game which is literally just boosting with multiple controllers) etc.

And I have absolutely nothing against that, just as I have nothing against regular trophy whores, you're free to enjoy yourself however you like and if that's what your account consists of them I'm not shaming you at all! But when some people keep up with the elitist attitude and criticising trophy whore accounts for what they do it always comes across just so hypocritical since they basically do the exact same thing just in pursuit of a different number. Pretty common to see a profile with over 1,000 URs that hasn't got any remotely difficult games in there these days (and if they do, it'll be just one recognisable popular game with a really well established reputation like Meat Boy or Wolfenstein 2 etc. because they need make sure people are able to recognise their so-called elite skills right? xD An elitist doesn't want to challenge themself, they just want other people to think they're a better than them 1f440.png)

At least big trophy whore accounts don't generally obnoxiously put others down to lift themselves up. They do what they do because they enjoy it or are chasing trophy leaderboards competitively, they ain't claiming to be more 'talented' gamers, unlike said elitists.

And again, nothing wrong with what they do, just the hypocrisy of those who choose to put others down.

(Applause)

12 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Keeping up with the Jones and Kim Kardashians shouldn't deserve any mention or award whatsoever. Doing whatever Kim Kardashian or Kayne West are doing trend wise is pretty fruitless to begin with. Apply that to trophy hunting, and you see a lot of similarities.

The problem with this is you're talking about the vast majority of anyone paying attention to rankings. Regardless of if they are aware of the metaphors in play, they are participating in the numbers game. Not acknowledging this is a problem. Forget elitism at that point, we wouldn't even have a leaderboard.

This thread inspired me to go on a Rata binge in the last 24 hours. And I’m not even done yet.

I want to describe my feelings getting said plats:

Good. Beautiful. Accomplished. Enthused. Refreshed. Pumped. Motivated. Free. Happy. Inspired. Awesome. 

And last but not least: Hopeful.

Hopeful that this community can one day be united again.

In rarity; in Ratalaika.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

The one thing I always find hypocritical about the elitist 'ultra rare' trophies crowd is that indeed, the same 'problems' actually do exist.

They complain about Rata games/stacks, people playing easier games to inflate a number (platinums/trophies/level) and that every trophy whores profile 'looks the same'.

Go to one of these elitist profiles and you'll notice the following: Stacks, easy games with URs to inflate the count and guess what? Their profiles also all look the same with the exact same easy UR games/stacks littering their lists. Instead of Ratalaika it'll be the same PS+ inflated titles with a lot of URs such as, off the top of my head: Magicka 2, Injustice stacks, In Space We Brawl stacks (a game which is literally just boosting with multiple controllers) etc.

And I have absolutely nothing against that, just as I have nothing against regular trophy whores, you're free to enjoy yourself however you like and if that's what your account consists of them I'm not shaming you at all! But when some people keep up with the elitist attitude and criticising trophy whore accounts for what they do it always comes across just so hypocritical since they basically do the exact same thing just in pursuit of a different number. Pretty common to see a profile with over 1,000 URs that hasn't got any remotely difficult games in there these days (and if they do, it'll be just one recognisable popular game with a really well established reputation like Meat Boy or Wolfenstein 2 etc. because they need make sure people are able to recognise their so-called elite skills right? xD An elitist doesn't want to challenge themself, they just want other people to think they're a better than them ?)

At least big trophy whore accounts don't generally obnoxiously put others down to lift themselves up. They do what they do because they enjoy it or are chasing trophy leaderboards competitively, they ain't claiming to be more 'talented' gamers, unlike said elitists.

And again, nothing wrong with what they do, just the hypocrisy of those who choose to put others down.

This.
Play what you like and forget the rest, imo.

8 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

And I have absolutely nothing against that, just as I have nothing against regular trophy whores, you're free to enjoy yourself however you like and if that's what your account consists of them I'm not shaming you at all! But when some people keep up with the elitist attitude and criticising trophy whore accounts for what they do it always comes across just so hypocritical since they basically do the exact same thing just in pursuit of a different number. Pretty common to see a profile with over 1,000 URs that hasn't got any remotely difficult games in there these days (and if they do, it'll be just one recognisable popular game with a really well established reputation like Meat Boy or Wolfenstein 2 etc. because they need make sure people are able to recognise their so-called elite skills right? xD An elitist doesn't want to challenge themself, they just want other people to think they're a better than them 1f440.png)

If you look at my ultra rares, a bunch of them just happen to be easy 1st party sony games I got when I worked there. Start the Party, eyepet, buzz quiz world.

Or are playstation plus games with a few annoying trophies. Oddworld, puppeteer, sorcery saga.

None of these games are hard but due to the nature of them a lot of people own them but they are just annoying enough that they didnt get the plat (online shut down, too many collectibles, glitchy trophy)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Must have been before my time. 

/s

The PS2 days were a much more peaceful time.

Achievements were only the fringe dreams of madmen and big daddy Sony would never curse us to such a hell fun, right?

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with trophy hunters playing easy platinum games (hell, I am guilty a bit myself); however, the fact the PS Store is flooded with them is a bit of a problem, which ironically could be a problem that trophy hunters themselves created. From complaining about things such as the Social Lubricant trophy in Watch Dogs where they patched it to make it easier, to people avoiding games that have perceived challenging lists or boycotting games in general for not having a platinum...may have prompted many dev teams (mostly AAA) to make things easier whether it was the game itself or the trophy list. I don't even remember the last AAA game with a difficult trophy list that prompted the "Challenge Accepted" meme like there used to be several years ago.

2 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

which ironically could be a problem that trophy hunters themselves created. From complaining about things such as the Social Lubricant trophy in Watch Dogs where they patched it to make it easier, to people avoiding games that have perceived challenging lists or boycotting games in general for not having a platinum...may have prompted many dev teams (mostly AAA) to make things easier whether it was the game itself or the trophy list. 

I like the uniqueness of your position here. We made our bed, and now we must lie in it. 

• Like 1

Why is Call Of Duty Multiplayer ruined forever with Skill Based Matchmaking? Because we can't all be good at games. Little Timmy no thumbs needs to be rewarded for having no skill otherwise he won't buy those microtransactions, we are in a consumer market more then a gamers market now.

Every day there's some more indie crap on the boards, some are good but most imo are just terrible. When all of those $ add up it's a huge market. Maybe we should have a main account trophy? A single one based on skill. So if you have a thousand $5 point and clicks your get a wet brown main trophy, if you play mainly games that are actually enjoyable you get a Diamond one? Your account wears this badge of honor no matter where you go.

Or we could just get over it.

6 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

I don't have a problem with trophy hunters playing easy platinum games (hell, I am guilty a bit myself); however, the fact the PS Store is flooded with them is a bit of a problem, which ironically could be a problem that trophy hunters themselves created. From complaining about things such as the Social Lubricant trophy in Watch Dogs where they patched it to make it easier, to people avoiding games that have perceived challenging lists or boycotting games in general for not having a platinum...may have prompted many dev teams (mostly AAA) to make things easier whether it was the game itself or the trophy list. I don't even remember the last AAA game with a difficult trophy list that prompted the "Challenge Accepted" meme like there used to be several years ago.

This. Even Brian of PS5Trophies fame on YouTube had the audacity to contact the developers of Fall Guys on Twitter last summer claiming that the Infallible trophy was virtually unfair, requires far too much concentration and would hurt the completionists that wanted the platinum for that game. If I was one of those developers, I would of told Brian to shove it up his rear.

I still recall many people signing that worthless petition to get the developers of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus to make Mein Leben more doable to where you could die and still earn the trophy. Never mind the fact that there are unskippable in-game cutscenes, which is what I wanted to have changed rather than a stupid trophy that few people were going to get.

I mean, I understand if people can't get Challenge 6 done in Vanquish, that is legitimately hard and challenging. But it has gotten to the point where a lot of trophy hunters outright avoid games if the trophy lists pose a little too much in difficulty or time, instead they partake in stacking worthless Ratalaika garbage that give you a platinum when you only did around 10 - 20 percent of the actual games.

I wish we had more lists like Bloodborne on the PS4 and Demon's Souls on the PS5. Legitimately challenging at times, but still plenty doable for most players.

2 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Or we could just get over it.

Or you can just ignore all the crying in this thread.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I still recall many people signing that worthless petition to get the developers of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus to make Mein Leben more doable to where you could die and still earn the trophy. Never mind the fact that there are unskippable in-game cutscenes, which is what I wanted to have changed rather than a stupid trophy that few people were going to get.

I think this trophy exists due to the glitch's on the previous wolfs.

5 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

I think this trophy exists due to the glitch's on the previous wolfs.

There is a glitch on both The New Order and The Old Blood to where you only need to play on the last level to unlock the respective trophies on Uber difficulty. The New Order must be played on version 1.00, because I believe later updates patched out the glitch. The Old Blood I don't think ever received a single update, it was still version 1.00 when I played it years ago.

As a little fact, Mein Leben was still there, but did not need to be done as there was no trophy associated with it. But there is one not only for the base game of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus but also for the respective DLC packs. Anyone with that 100 percent deserves a pat on the back, because they probably had to work their butt off to earn all those trophies.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

This. Even Brian of PS5Trophies fame on YouTube had the audacity to contact the developers of Fall Guys on Twitter last summer claiming that the Infallible trophy was virtually unfair, requires far too much concentration and would hurt the completionists that wanted the platinum for that game. If I was one of those developers, I would of told Brian to shove it up his rear.

Yeah, that certainly doesn't help due to his fringe notoriety, along with his Top "X Number" of Easiest Platinum videos. To be fair, I Tweeted Visceral Games when they added the 10,000 Kill trophies for each class in BF Hardline...and they pretty much told me to piss off and it wouldn't be fair to the true Hardline players. Although I didn't agree with them as I felt it was a lazy way to keep players playing, I respect that they didn't bend the knee I suppose.

7 hours ago, pathtoninja said:

Yeah, that certainly doesn't help due to his fringe notoriety, along with his Top "X Number" of Easiest Platinum videos. To be fair, I Tweeted Visceral Games when they added the 10,000 Kill trophies for each class in BF Hardline...and they pretty much told me to piss off and it wouldn't be fair to the true Hardline players. Although I didn't agree with them as I felt it was a lazy way to keep players playing, I respect that they didn't bend the knee I suppose.

Brian used to play a bigger variety of games. Now he practically just sticks with big AAA games that companies ship early copies to for videos. 

This is a man in his 40s earning the big bucks. He did like every other YouTuber does with that many subscribers. Stop doing the stuff that wasn’t giving him as many views and do the stuff that was going to generate more Adsense revenue.

He isn’t hurting for money. He probably got his PS5 for free, there’s a good chance he did with all the support he’s gained.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1