Why are so many people complaining about easy platinum games

ScottishNub

14 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

There is a glitch on both The New Order and The Old Blood to where you only need to play on the last level to unlock the respective trophies on Uber difficulty. The New Order must be played on version 1.00, because I believe later updates patched out the glitch. The Old Blood I don't think ever received a single update, it was still version 1.00 when I played it years ago.

As a little fact, Mein Leben was still there, but did not need to be done as there was no trophy associated with it. But there is one not only for the base game of Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus but also for the respective DLC packs. Anyone with that 100 percent deserves a pat on the back, because they probably had to work their butt off to earn all those trophies.

I'm going for this one myself soonish, I really enjoyed Old Blood and New Order.

19 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

1. The game sucks in some manner (bugs, boring, doesn't explain game mechanics well, etc.) and many don't get very far in it

2. The game has some really obnoxious trophies that require multiple playthroughs and/or excessive grinds/backtracking/RNG

I'd say only the first one really matters here - the point is that ultra rares are trophies you have to work for. Difficult game? That's work. Game that takes 300 hours? That's work. Unpopular game? ... Yeah, no, you have a point. But whether you're playing Trackmania Turbo, or something super grindy like Friday the 13th, you're still putting in magnitudes more effort than TrophyBoy77083 has put into his second stack of My Name is Mayo.

There are definitely some very cheap ultra rares - like a lot of PSVR games have their rarity inflated, and I am an unfortunate owner of the Pox Nora plat (actually would be a decent game if it didn't have the UI of a 2006 web game), but I think it's a much less flawed system than having every ultra rare be worth exactly as many points as every Rata game. Maybe some games are too common, or some games are too rare, but either way, at least there's a difference.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I'd say only the first one really matters here - the point is that ultra rares are trophies you have to work for. Difficult game? That's work. Game that takes 300 hours? That's work. Unpopular game? ... Yeah, no, you have a point. But whether you're playing Trackmania Turbo, or something super grindy like Friday the 13th, you're still putting in magnitudes more effort than TrophyBoy77083 has put into his second stack of My Name is Mayo.

What I'm saying here is that UR plat does nothing to give you an idea of the true amount of effort or skill needed for the plat.  In fact a great example of what I'm speaking of here is Danganronpa v3's plat.  Trophy guide says 95 hours, though I'd say that's an under estimate.  This game is hands down the most tedious plat for a game that amounts to a point and click/visual novel sort of game.  Of those 95 hours, you spent two thirds of that on the post game grind towards the plat.  It's incredibly tedious and boring and about the only reason why the game isn't a UR plat is because the game itself is quite good and some of the post game content actually is fun at first and by the time it gets boring, you're mostly done with the grind and may as well finish it.

I can definitely say Danganronpa v3's plat took far more effort than Akiba's Beat, MeiQ and Mind 0 (which are all 60-70 hour long plats), yet these three games are UR plats and Drv3 is very rare.  That's what I think makes no sense, I put in about 20-30 hours more effort into the DRv3 plat and yet it's only very rare.  About the only reason why this likely happened was that Akiba's Beat, MeiQ and Mind 0 suck enough that the majority of players don't even beat them, a good amount of players of DRv3 at least beat the game.

11 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

What I'm saying here is that UR plat does nothing to give you an idea of the true amount of effort or skill needed for the plat.

Well, yeah, but it does generally give you a point of comparison. The difference between a 5% plat and a 10% plat can get muddy, and there's no exact measuring involved, but you can be fairly certain that a 5-10% plat took a lot more effort than the, say, 40-50% plat. While it's definitely not the best tracking in some cases, as you've pointed out, the comparison between lower and higher tier platinums is still a valuable one, imo. Even if DRv3 isn't as rare as it should be, you can still safely say that DRv3 and the other games you listed had a fair bit more effort involved than an uncommon game.

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Well, yeah, but it does generally give you a point of comparison. The difference between a 5% plat and a 10% plat can get muddy, and there's no exact measuring involved, but you can be fairly certain that a 5-10% plat took a lot more effort than the, say, 40-50% plat. While it's definitely not the best tracking in some cases, as you've pointed out, the comparison between lower and higher tier platinums is still a valuable one, imo. Even if DRv3 isn't as rare as it should be, you can still safely say that DRv3 and the other games you listed had a fair bit more effort involved than an uncommon game.

I'd again disagree there and here's a prime example:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/7655-dark-souls-remastered

Uncommon plat, 8/10 difficulty and trophy guide estimates 70 hours.  Remember I just gave examples of 3 games that are 70 hours or less and are UR plats and I can assure you that MeiQ, Akiba's Beat and Mind 0 aren't anywhere near 8/10 difficulty.  I can also name a few games with uncommon plats that take 100+ hours to get the plat.  There's a very interesting thing that happens with sequels of games that the rarity goes up with the sequels so you get stuff like Trails of Cold Steel 3 and 4 that are uncommon plats, and have a fair bit of effort involved in getting the plat.

What I'm saying here is that rarity has nothing to do with length or difficulty of a game.  Every assumption anyone can bring up regarding rarity can be proven wrong with one or more examples of trophy lists when you have increased rarity due to things like region, platform, devoted fanbase, and so on or factors lowering rarity like a game being on ps plus.  I even stated my generalization of most UR games being crappy games with extreme trophies has exceptions as well.  What I'm arguing here is that people need to stop obsessing over rarity as the end all, be all judge of the quality of a trophy or game.  An uncommon plat can require plenty of skill or effort just as much as a UR plat does.  If anything my highest effort plats are very rares or lower, not UR, but no one gives a damn about how many very rare plats I have.  What I do know is that the majority of my UR plats aren't fun games at all and I really wonder if people obsessing over the UR plats and trying to make them seem important is to hide the fact that they feel ashamed of or regret having spent all that time playing a terrible game.

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 1

You have a point, though I’m not sure if the swings are quite as clear cut as you imagine.

You also have to factor in how good the game is... i.e., how much the game makes people actually want to push through and get the platinum, despite the challenge, whatever level it is.

Case in point:

Beyond: Two Souls Platinum - 7.27% Rarity

Sekiro Platinum - 27.19% Rarity

Now, I might not agree with you on some of this stuff, but I’ve read enough of your posts to know you have your head on straight, so I am quite certain you would not make the arguement that Beyond is 4x more difficult than Sekiro. ???

The difference, of course, is the quality - and the reputation.

Beyond has a reputation as an easy Plat - which it is... I mean, it’s not much more than a guided point and click adventure - but it is also a very specific type of game, and not for everyone.

While it is easy, it can feel like a grind, and it really doesn’t connect with everyone. Some people end up loathing that game - and so a lot of people give up, clearly.
They’re not quitting due to difficulty- it’s due to the ‘quality’ of the game.

Sekiro, on the other hand, has a reputation as a hard game, so less people start it without knowing what they’re in for, and the game is so damned good, and feels so good to almost everyone who plays it,  that virtually everyone wants to keep playing it, and quite a lot finish it.

(27.19% of them, in fact, or so I’ve heard somewhere!)

There are plenty of games that - if rarity was a true measure of difficulty- would be much ‘rarer’, if not for the fact that... well.... they are just too good to be rare.

The From Software games are a perfect example, but there are plenty others.

On the flip side, there are plenty of games that are not really a challenge, but are just not fun, and so end up way rarer than they seem like they should be....

It’s why - while I can certainly be impressed when someone gets a rare platinum, and I am - I can never fully get down with the whole “Ultra Rare hunting” mentality. 
Certain sects of the community seem to value UR plats above all else. The game, their time, the fun they are having....

Going after UR plats exclusively means playing some bangers, but it also means playing some real painful dross too.

As far as I can tell, the ratio of great games to terrible messes in the ‘Ultra Rare’ field is about the same as in the ‘EZPZ’ camp.

Seems to me there are just as many absolutely fantasic games with super easy Platinums as there are with Ultra Rares.

Frankly , most of the very best games seem to sit in that 15%-40% range.

I don’t really bother looking at rarity as a mark of difficulty, or of quality, and I think that fetishising UR plats to the point where you are sacrificing the fun you could be having playing games, and only seeking out the highest rarity platinums to go after is just as absurd as the fetishisation of a high platinum count, and only going after the easiest ones.

In both cases, the only one suffering is the player.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

What I'm saying here is that rarity has nothing to do with length or difficulty of a game.  Every assumption anyone can bring up regarding rarity can be proven wrong with one or more examples of trophy lists when you have increased rarity due to things like region, platform, devoted fanbase, and so on or factors lowering rarity like a game being on ps plus.

This isn't a "the exception breaks the rule" scenario. Ultra rare (or just rare) status generally correlates to hard or long games. That does not mean that every game that is ultra rare is going to be hard or long, and that doesn't mean that every hard or long game is going to be ultra rare. But it does mean that generally speaking, games get harder and longer the further ahead you go.

Here's a metaphor for what I'm talking about: you can pretty safely say that as people get older, their health gets worse. Now, there's some extremely unhealthy 20 year olds, and some extremely healthy 60 year olds. That does not mean that age is unrelated to health, it just means that correlation is descriptive of a tendency, not an objective rule that cannot be broken. Your examples would hold much more weight if we were talking about a rule set in stone, but I don't think anybody's trying to use trophy rarity as that. Rather, we would like to think that it's safe to say that a 5% game is going to be much harder and longer than a 50% game, and I'd be surprised if that was true for less than 95% of such comparisons.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Case in point:

Beyond: Two Souls Platinum - 7.27% Rarity

Sekiro Platinum - 27.19% Rarity

Now, I might not agree with you on some of this stuff, but I’ve read enough of your posts to know you have your head on straight, so I am quite certain you would not make the arguement that Beyond is 4x more difficult than Sekiro. ??1f602.png

Wasn't Beyond: Two Souls a PS+ game at one point? PS+ games tend to have very inflated rarities. There's a bunch of stuff like that - as you and others know, games that are annoying or just not fun tend to have lower rarities than equally difficult games that are as fun. PSVR games also have inflated percentages, probably because of the pain of setting up PSVR - e.g. one of my PSVR games has a 0% plat rate despite being a seemingly easyish platinum (should get on that...)

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’s why - while I can certainly be impressed when someone gets a rare platinum, and I am - I can never fully get down with the whole “Ultra Rare hunting” mentality. 
Certain sects of the community seem to value UR plats above all else. The game, their time, the fun they are having....

Going after UR plats exclusively means playing some bangers, but it also means playing some real painful dross too.

As far as I can tell, the ratio of great games to terrible messes in the ‘Ultra Rare’ field is about the same as in the ‘EZPZ’ camp.

Seems to me there are just as many absolutely fantasic games with super easy Platinums as there are with Ultra Rares.

Frankly , most of the very best games seem to sit in that 15%-40% range.

I don’t really bother looking at rarity as a mark of difficulty, or of quality, and I think that fetishising UR plats to the point where you are sacrificing the fun you could be having playing games, and only seeking out the highest rarity platinums to go after is just as absurd as the fetishisation of a high platinum count, and only going after the easiest ones.

In both cases, the only one suffering is the player.

Yeah, I mean, I just like to platinum games that I enjoy, and I've made the mistake of going for ultra rares over genuinely fun games in the past - which is why Pox Nora now stains my trophy list as my rarest platinum, something I hope to fix in the future. Still, I do think it's unfair for people who want to compete for trophy points and such to be able to be easily beaten by people spamming 30 minute platinum stacks. It's not really about how good the game is IMO so much as just knowing that you put in your blood and sweat. Like, Pox Nora was definitely not a 0.6% platinum, but it is a game you deliberately have to boost with multiple accounts and which can take 20+ hours to do so (afaik), so at least some effort has to be put in. I doubt you'd find a UR you can beat in less than an hour, for instance - once it was discovered I'm sure UR hunters would start swarming it.

I'm kind of in the middle here - I don't think people who flood easy games are objectively worse trophy hunters - we're all obviously just chasing imaginary internet points - but I think there are genuine grievances to be had by "traditional" trophy hunters who have no way to separate themselves from this new wave of Rata trophy hunters. The elitism sucks, but so does having your hobby that you've put years of your life into flooded by people who don't play by the same rules as most of your community.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I do think it's unfair for people who want to compete for trophy points and such to be able to be easily beaten by people spamming 30 minute platinum stacks.

Good post - but I think the crux of where our respective outlooks on the subject differ is in this sentence.

I’m not beaten by those people.

Neither are you!

Sure, they might be above us on the leaderboard, but they sure aren’t beating us. 

Someone can get in a car and run us over before either of us cross the finish line... they’ll break the ribbon first, but they sure as hell didn’t win the race.

They were never competing in it.

They just... paid for a car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PixelHelix said:

Being new to this trophy hunting lark, I thought I'd try one of the Ratalaika games to see what all the fuss was about....Super Destronaut DX.

I had a lot of fun! I thought these games were supposed to be awful? My young daughter is playing it right now and having a blast too...it's better than her playing Paw Patrol which she had been...that really is garbage ?

I can honestly say I feel better about Super Destronaut than I did playing Dirt 5! I hated that game but still ground out the trophies.

Welcome to the team!

And welcome to the machine!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PixelHelix said:

Lol...thank you 1f600.png

I'm in it now, I just cracked out Full Blast...great fun again!

That’s a great one. Check my list out, I’d recommend most of the ones I have completed. If you can’t finish one (because some, contrary to public opinion, are hard), don’t be discouraged and keep going. 

I really had a lot of recent fun with Clashforce and Prehistoric Dude. Clashforce takes some patience but rewarding to complete and Prehistoric Dude was a refreshing little Indie, even if you get a little lost. 

Micetopia might be a bit hard for your daughter but another good one that takes longer and some strategy to complete. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

That’s a great one. Check my list out, I’d recommend most of the ones I have completed. If you can’t finish one (because some, contrary to public opinion, are hard), don’t be discouraged and keep going. 

I really had a lot of recent fun with Clashforce and Prehistoric Dude. Clashforce takes some patience but rewarding to complete and Prehistoric Dude was a refreshing little Indie, even if you get a little lost. 

Micetopia might be a bit hard for your daughter but another good one that takes longer and some strategy to complete. 

Thanks for the recommendations, I will keep an eye out in sales for them.

6 hours ago, SnuggleButt_ said:

You can't please everyone, nor should you be trying to. Play whatever you want, and how you want.

Exactly my sentiments. Throughout the years, I've seen the lengths some people within this community undergo just to impress others with whom they have no affiliation whatsoever, for all the wrong reasons. There's also a large number of toxic players who love to showboat their "ultra-rare trophies" and demean others because they don't fit within the same bracket as they do (sadly I've seen it one too many times). So what if someone has 20/40/100 rata platinums, and why would anyone ridicule him/her just because they find enjoyment in collecting platinums despite difficulty? I thought the generalized purpose of this site is to come together and celebrate our love and passion for collecting trophies? Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to me. 

• Like 2

On 2021-02-19 at 4:17 AM, PixelHelix said:

Being new to this trophy hunting lark, I thought I'd try one of the Ratalaika games to see what all the fuss was about....Super Destronaut DX.

I had a lot of fun! I thought these games were supposed to be awful? My young daughter is playing it right now and having a blast too...it's better than her playing Paw Patrol which she had been...that really is garbage 1f600.png

I can honestly say I feel better about Super Destronaut than I did playing Dirt 5! I hated that game but still ground out the trophies.

The thing about Ralalaika games are they are easy platinums...somehow people associated that with "bad game"

I have only played Just Ignore Them but I really enjoyed it. So I platted it a second time (it is a cross buy game)...am I a bad person? No? I was playing games to boost my trophy count for Beyond's trophy competition and had a fun time.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PalaceOfLove706 said:

It could be a lot of things, but if I’m being honest, I think it boils down to one thing.

Envy: maybe they don’t have the cash or time to buy and earn Ratalaika platinums, and think that in demeaning other people, it will build them up higher. But as someone said to me awhile ago, you don’t get taller by (trying to) make someone smaller.

My personal view is that it's not envy, but more a desire for some sort of acclaim. It's not faulty in itself as long it doesn't lower other things in order to highlight their own "accomplishment". It's not wrong to be proud to have finished a difficult game, but it doesn't stop there. It often continues into pointing out how good that was by putting down what others do.

In my opinion, this is not only rude, but fruitless. If someone doesn't receive genuine praise for platinuming UR games - and let's not fool ourselves, most people don't need both hands to count others who care about our own profile -, then tailoring a leaderboard to their preference and bullying Ratalaika game players won't change that. It'll just make a like-minded crowd flock together, and then they'll find a new criterium why their profile is better than that of the next guy. And people who didn't care before won't magically start to think: Wow, look at that guy.

• Like 3

On 20/02/2021 at 2:23 PM, Dr_Mayus said:

The thing about Ralalaika games are they are easy platinums...somehow people associated that with "bad game"

I have only played Just Ignore Them but I really enjoyed it. So I platted it a second time (it is a cross buy game)...am I a bad person? No? I was playing games to boost my trophy count for Beyond's trophy competition and had a fun time.

Yeah it's a shame they are classed as bad games just because the majority quit straight after the platinum as do i 99% of the time. I do enjoy some of there games like dagger hood, Inksplosion, red bow, super destronat dx and maybe a few more 

• Like 4

It's not that they're considered bad games per se, it's that there's a specific breed of trophy hunter that does nothing but spam Ratalaikas because they're easy platinums that usually take under 1-2 hours (AFAIK) to complete. Spammer's paradise. The games are usually good indie games, it's the trophy lists themselves that people get annoyed by. Compounding the issue are people with hacked Vitas that spam multiple regions per game.

That makes sense. Although I've enjoyed those I've tried, the lists are clearly designed to move games that wouldn't sell so well otherwise.

Better hope Xitilon don't cast their eye towards PSN. For the last few months they have caused waves in the Xbox gamerscore community, by releasing monthly upgrades to their games that adds 1000G in a few minutes, and it seems their business plan is to keep doing that indefinitely!

Imagine Ratalaika adds updates every month, where an extra 10 minutes adds 1000 points to your total. When Xitilon realised they sold games by selling gamerscore, they actually went back and made the base games easier as well. At that point, MS stepped in and they had to reverse that decision. What a mess!

Edited by PixelHelix
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2021 at 3:49 AM, ladynadiad said:

What I'm saying here is that UR plat does nothing to give you an idea of the true amount of effort or skill needed for the plat.  In fact a great example of what I'm speaking of here is Danganronpa v3's plat.  Trophy guide says 95 hours, though I'd say that's an under estimate.  This game is hands down the most tedious plat for a game that amounts to a point and click/visual novel sort of game.  Of those 95 hours, you spent two thirds of that on the post game grind towards the plat.  It's incredibly tedious and boring and about the only reason why the game isn't a UR plat is because the game itself is quite good and some of the post game content actually is fun at first and by the time it gets boring, you're mostly done with the grind and may as well finish it.

I can definitely say Danganronpa v3's plat took far more effort than Akiba's Beat, MeiQ and Mind 0 (which are all 60-70 hour long plats), yet these three games are UR plats and Drv3 is very rare.  That's what I think makes no sense, I put in about 20-30 hours more effort into the DRv3 plat and yet it's only very rare.  About the only reason why this likely happened was that Akiba's Beat, MeiQ and Mind 0 suck enough that the majority of players don't even beat them, a good amount of players of DRv3 at least beat the game.

I think after some time we will see the "My UR plat is more ultra-er than yours" crowd....And the suggestion forum will be flooded with posts on how to set the platinum rarity "properly"..

• Like 1

I don’t care if someone has a few Ratalalika games. If they enjoyed the games, that’s great. We shouldn’t mettle in games we thought were bad or good based on enjoyment.

What some people here are specifically trying to state is there’s a certain type of trophy hunter who deliberately hunts easy platinums to gain rankings on the leaderboards. Not because they’re fun, not because the games looked interesting to them, not even because they wanted to try them out. They bought them because those games automatically come with a free stack, and if you add up the numbers, a number of Ratalaika games have six stacks. Provided that you made accounts for different regions, which is a rule trophy hunters generally break because we provided false information to make a Hong Kong PSN account, a Japanese PSN account, or whatever. 

And I said this before in the recent past, but trophy rarities are generally inaccurate as for telling how hard or easy, how long or short a game is. I found Dark Souls far more difficult and tedious than Dust: An Elysian Tail. Yet Dark Souls on the PS3 has only a rare platinum, Dust: An Elysian Tail falls under 10 percent, yet I found that game far easier. The Soulsborne games have a massive fanbase that includes people who know every trick in the book, whereas Dust: An Elysian Tail has a very niche group of players. 

A number of indies I played, including 10 Second Ninja X, are niche enough to where the rarities are a far cry away from how difficult or short the games actually are.

I don’t respect people who deliberately chase the rankings through easy platinums, then get all offended and defensive whenever others try to explain the trophy system is a joke because there is no standard anymore. I couldn’t care less if I had over 300 platinums, what matters to me is how enjoyable the games were, and that I got my money’s worth out of them. The leaderboards in many respects doesn’t mean much.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2