AJ_Radio

Platinum rarity is rather high

19 posts in this topic

I am honestly surprised the platinum rarity is this high for this game. I had to start a second playthrough because doing the side content on the islands where you did all the story missions spawns more gang members, which make the paramedic missions virtually impossible for me to complete.

Currently doing an off road mission on the first island where you start the game and I have to follow a YouTube guide to even figure out how to reach the checkpoints. Due to the cumbersome and dated controls it's very easy to drive off the hill and either land upside down or go too far into the water, which is an automatic restart.

Rampage spawn locations aren't showing up when they need to. It is very easy to die on some missions, and there are no checkpoints, which means you start the missions all the way from the beginning again.

The only reason the trophy rarities are as high as they are is because a majority of us trophy hunters are in our late 20s and 30s who have all played this game when we were kids and teenagers. That's the only reason I can think of, because otherwise something like this today would likely have abysmally low trophy percentages.

In my opinion this game definitely didn't age well. Vice City and San Andreas in comparison are far better games.

I never played GTA 3 as a kid, I played Vice City and San Andreas a ton of times as a kid. Going for the platinum was the first time i actually played it, I found the game the easiest out of the 3 as it had less side activities to do and when I start any game I always got much of the side content out the way before the story anyway. I actually thought it played nearly identical to Vice City

Edited by ZachBoardyHD

GTA3 is my favourite, I could drive around doing the Taxi missions for hours listening to MSM FM and RISE FM and get over 100 consecutive deliveries in a row without failing (repairing your car in a garage when you get quite a bit of spare time)

The third game is a bit buggy and clunky in places, the platinum can be quite tricky unless you plan in advance and do things in a certain order. Once you progress too far in the game yes, a ton of the missions get harder, instant shot by gang members with shotguns as you are driving past minding your own business is one gripe I remember.

Definitely best to do all most of the side missions before you complete the game.

I didn't like Vice City and San Andreas as much, I think it's because you are just you, and not an annoying protagonist. As well as the radio station being better in GTA3.

I probably 100%’d this game close to a dozen times back in the day on the PS2. When you get really familiar with a game some stuff just comes to you really easily. 

I'm 23 and never played this game as a kid. I played Vice City and San Andreas a bunch, like @ZachBoardyHD. I have the Platinum though. I didn't actually find it too bad compared to Vice City. Vice City's "Take the Cannoli" trophy was a joke. There was also the fact that one of the stunt jumps glitched out on me in Vice City on my first Platinum attempt which robbed me of the 100%. I did do the paramedic missions at the start of my GTA 3 playthrough though, before the worst of the fuckery began with enemies one-shotting your vehicle with a shotgun. I'd say the biggest pain in the dick about GTA 3 was that it didn't have a map so you had to find your own way around. Thank fuck they added a map in Vice City and then allowed you to have waypoints in San Andreas as well.

At the moment its the only GTA platinum I have. Still got nostalgia playing it and I played it multiple times back on PS2 mostly because it was the first big open world game I played and just loved driving around. Trying to do Vice City but its rather glitchy for me which is making a few missions annoying to play but that soundtrack. Need to go back to San Andreas. Regardless all 3 are still fun to play again. 

oh good, yet another topic where the OP doesn't understand the difference between rarity and difficulty.

Doing the Paramedic mission as soon as possible in GTAIII is like the first rule, unless you want the Mafia to shoot at you with shotguns while you try to drive an ambulance which can tip over at the slightest touch when going for a turn: plus, the rewards you get for completing it are very worth it. It happens to everyone if you don't know about it and it's your first time playing the game, especially if you come from other GTAs where the same issue doesn't apply.

I remember falling for this trap too a few years ago when I got around playing it again to 100% complete it after trying some of the latest GTAs: had to start over again because it just wasn't working. So when I went for the platinum on PS4, I was well prepared for it.

Edited by KN_Kirai

Out of topic question  @Spaz, ¿did you, by any chance, make your second playthrough after doing the mission "rumble"? The one where you have to kill some purple guys with a baseball bat in the last island.

2 minutes ago, Elite_Agent_009 said:

Out of topic question  @Spaz, ¿did you, by any chance, make your second playthrough after doing the mission "rumble"? The one where you have to kill some purple guys with a baseball bat in the last island.

Ohhh yeah, there's also that. But won't it be fine if he saved on a different slot?

I don't know if you have followed the guide on psnprofiles but right there in the beginning it says:

"I strongly recommend not doing any more story missions until you've completed all vehicle missions (Taxi driver, Paramedic, Firefighter & Vigilante), all rampages and have collected all the hidden packages available in Portland.
The reason for this is as you progress through the story gang members will become hostile towards you. Not only will they carry stronger weapons but they will shoot you on sight. This can make the vehicle missions ten times harder and collecting the packages a real ordeal but besides that, the rampages will become absolutely impossible to complete!"

Maybe that's where your problem lies?

6 minutes ago, KN_Kirai said:

Ohhh yeah, there's also that. But won't it be fine if he saved on a different slot?

I dont know if a different save slot fixes this glitch, what I know is that i had to restart this game 3 times, one for completing the game and restarting because some side missions are nearly impossible having the italian mafia 2 shot you with a shotgun from 1 mile away, second for almost getting 100% and then getting the purple nines glitch(the one im talking about) and then finally getting everything in the third playthrough. Just in case i recommend glitching into the third island(if you havent unlocked yet) to check if there are purple gangs in the last island.

I'm playing LCS first in PS2 and PSP when i was a kid, and never play 3 before,  and when it was released on PS4 that was my first gameplay and immediately feels nostalgia from LCS and i'm quite familiar with area and maps. and even better if you played GTA SA and LCS before.

I admit the game isn't great compared to SA and VC but this was the first 3D GTA released and since PS2 games are literally emulated on PS4 not a remastered edition. the only hard in this game is the camera suck when you shooting and you can't open maps which is annoying in some emergencies mission especially in shoreside vale.

As for platinum isn't that hard if you follow guides. i recommended only using cheats if you're already had "Is That All You've Got?" trophy first. and i'm only using Money cheats (for increase criminal rating) and spawn a tank (Blow up 2000 cars).

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

The third game is a bit buggy and clunky in places, the platinum can be quite tricky unless you plan in advance and do things in a certain order. Once you progress too far in the game yes, a ton of the missions get harder, instant shot by gang members with shotguns as you are driving past minding your own business is one gripe I remember.

Definitely best to do all most of the side missions before you complete the game.

Yeah that was my issue because I used cheats for full health and armor and that still wasn't enough to get the gang members to not destroy my vehicles when I was doing the side missions. Guess that means I have to read a guide more thoroughly next time.

4 hours ago, ImMagnetz said:

I'm 23 and never played this game as a kid. I played Vice City and San Andreas a bunch, like @ZachBoardyHD. I have the Platinum though. I didn't actually find it too bad compared to Vice City. Vice City's "Take the Cannoli" trophy was a joke. There was also the fact that one of the stunt jumps glitched out on me in Vice City on my first Platinum attempt which robbed me of the 100%. I did do the paramedic missions at the start of my GTA 3 playthrough though, before the worst of the fuckery began with enemies one-shotting your vehicle with a shotgun. I'd say the biggest pain in the dick about GTA 3 was that it didn't have a map so you had to find your own way around. Thank fuck they added a map in Vice City and then allowed you to have waypoints in San Andreas as well.

GTA III is definitely the least polished of the three. Best to play these games in order. Not looking forward to "Take the Cannoli" in Vice City.

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

oh good, yet another topic where the OP doesn't understand the difference between rarity and difficulty.

There's been a surge of those topics lately?

3 hours ago, KN_Kirai said:

Didn't glitch on me as I did that one on my first playthrough. Hopefully it won't on my second playthrough.

2 hours ago, Silver-I-Chariot said:

"I strongly recommend not doing any more story missions until you've completed all vehicle missions (Taxi driver, Paramedic, Firefighter & Vigilante), all rampages and have collected all the hidden packages available in Portland.
The reason for this is as you progress through the story gang members will become hostile towards you. Not only will they carry stronger weapons but they will shoot you on sight. This can make the vehicle missions ten times harder and collecting the packages a real ordeal but besides that, the rampages will become absolutely impossible to complete!"

Maybe that's where your problem lies?

Mostly yes. Not sure how this affects hidden packages, since it's just going up to them and collecting them in rather obscure locations. Gang members are generally on the streets.

27 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Didn't glitch on me as I did that one on my first playthrough. Hopefully it won't on my second playthrough.

The problem isn't on the first playthrough, but the subsequent ones if you already did that mission and save on the same slot, because the Purple Nines are completely removed from the game after you finish that mission, and there's a bug that keeps it so if you start a new game and save on the same slot; since the Purple Nines never spawn in the first place, you can't complete the first mission of D-Ice, hence making it impossible to 100%.

If you overwrote your save when starting the second playthrough, you might want to get to Shoreside Vale via some glitch and check if you see any Purple Nines. If not, I'm afraid you'll have to start a new playthrough on a different save slot.

Edit: see this thread for more information.

Edited by KN_Kirai

Not having a proper mini-map, the game being a bit clunky to move around and shoot (by today's standards) and the amount of ways of screw up your game, even with cheats the game is a bit tricky. (I did not use any for my PS4 run) It did take me a while to get used to mostly using left analogue stick all over again.

GTA3 isn't super hard, but it's getting to the stage where people may consider the game a bit too old and clunky to want to bother finishing finishing it for the platinum after starting to play it, especially if they experienced one of the game's many progression glitches realised they can't get platinum now and just thought, aah screw this game, it ain't worth it.

I love this game, but I would not want to speed run through the game, that's for sure. There are some annoying missions which I don't like, like having to collect a ton of white circles over a bumpy hill using a van, a side mission in the first area. That one was annoying.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:24 AM, enaysoft said:

GTA3 isn't super hard, but it's getting to the stage where people may consider the game a bit too old and clunky to want to bother finishing finishing it for the platinum after starting to play it, especially if they experienced one of the game's many progression glitches realised they can't get platinum now and just thought, aah screw this game, it ain't worth it.

GTA is massively popular. But like with Dark Souls, there are lots of people who give up on the platinum. 

Vice City has Take the Cannoli (earn The Godfather rating), which I imagine has stopped a lot of people from earning the platinum. 

Still, I sort of miss the simplicity and charm of the old games. I can’t say the same for GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2.

20 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Still, I sort of miss the simplicity and charm of the old games.

You might laugh but I went through the game a second time on PS2, but to make things harder I made it so I had to always use the inside car view and I taped a square to my TV to cover up the mini map.

And guess what happened? I began to memorise the entire game, a mission would say "Get to X" and I would jump in a car and be able to navigate there.

turn right here, a left just before this building etc. And those missions near the end where you have to deliver cars or move through the cities, I knew the place off by heart, you would be surprised in that all the street signs are readable. The underground tunnels and most streets are well signposted.

I could imagine the route in my head, as if I was taking that route for real in my own car.

Now when I play games, often I am looking entirely at the minimap or arrows on my screen and not even looking at the actual ingame graphics/action.

How times have changed.

Anyway sorry to go off topic there.

9 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

How times have changed.

I still know Vice City and Los Santos/San Fierro/Las Venturas by heart, so I won’t have issues navigating those cities. 

Times have changed because every AAA game literally holds your hand now. You had to learn everything on your own back in the day. 

Thought of picking up Sunset Riders.