Upgrading to PS5 starts a new trophy list

rdhight

When you load Legion onto the PS5, you have the choice to install the PS4 version and/or the free PS5 upgrade. If you've already played on the PS4 version, you can upload your save to the cloud on that, then download on the PS5 version, and in-game everything is right where you left off. Seems fine.

What I didn't understand was that in-game it might be seamless, but the PS5 version installs its own trophy list. So to platinum the PS4 version of the game, I'll need to finish cleanup playing that through BC. Then I can move my save over to PS5, but if I do, I'm starting a fresh trophy list for this game.

It's hardly the end of the world, but it's also not the way I thought it worked. Hopefully nobody gets an unwanted stack.

to be honest... What else did you expect?

There is a PS4 list and a PS5 list, as you can easily see on psnprofile.

You play the PS4 version, it installs the PS4 list.

Then you play the PS5 version, it installs the PS5 list...

Having an upgraded version is nothing else than "downloading the full game", so you did indeed play 2 different version of the game, thus installed 2 trophy lists.

Not sure if you're aware, but every single PS5 game, cross-gen or new-gen exclusive, will have its own list. Every cross-gen/upgradable game on PlayStation will give you a seperate list for PS4 and PS5.

This seems to be without exception thus far. Shared lists are not a thing on PlayStation. On Xbox they are always shared unless the game 1) is next gen exclusive, or 2) only supports paid/non smart delivery upgrade and not the standard free/smart delivery upgrade.

The above forum gives you more information, including a brilliant spreadsheet from some commentors about what games allow save transfer, trophy auto-pops, free upgrdaes, etc.!

For Watch Dogs Legion specifically, there isn't any auto-popping so you'd have to do the platinum a 2nd time anyway. Some developers activate it, some don't, it depends game to game.

Edited by PhantomFear94

7 hours ago, PhantomFear94 said:

Not sure if you're aware, but every single PS5 game, cross-gen or new-gen exclusive, will have its own list. Every cross-gen/upgradable game on PlayStation will give you a seperate list for PS4 and PS5.

This seems to be without exception thus far. Shared lists are not a thing on PlayStation. On Xbox they are always shared unless the game 1) is next gen exclusive, or 2) only supports paid/non smart delivery upgrade and not the standard free/smart delivery upgrade.

If that's the way they choose to do it for PS4 -> PS5, then so be it. But so many PS3/PS4 cross-gen games had shared lists, I was just expecting that this upgrade would be the same.

• 2 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:06 PM, rdhight said:

If that's the way they choose to do it for PS4 -> PS5, then so be it. But so many PS3/PS4 cross-gen games had shared lists, I was just expecting that this upgrade would be the same.

While some games did do this last gen, the majority had separate lists even then. Even more so during the launch window of the PS4