Deer killing, a gripe and a like

RustyBacon13

My 2 minor gripes

1. Forced animal cruelty

The 'Shoot 15 deer in the heart' trophy seriously glitched out for me. I must have shot 40-50 deer at least, fast travelling from spot to spot, roaming the map over and over chasing this trophy. I'm not sure why the game did this to me or if I was doing something wrong, forcing me to spear innocent deer through the heart in the vain hope that this time, maybe this time, this final deer will the last one I have to mercilessly slaughter. It seemed to take forever. Add that to multitude of cute little bunny rabbits I poisoned or set on fire and I was seriously questioning this game's agenda after a while. Thank Zeus that the squirrels didn't offer hides so they were spared at least. Didn't feel bad about the bears though, cause, you know, they're bears. Wait, why am I affected by the butchering of video game wildlife again??

2. Shock Attack or the never ending debate of trophy completion vs. game enjoyment

I've really enjoyed these past 2 TR games (haven't played Shadow yet). Narrative and Gameplay, really satisfying for me. But Score Attack is a real bummer though imho, Essentially making you play the entire game again with focused objectives without a narrative to tie it together. Seems kind of stress inducing. I've only played 2 so far so i could complete the Baba Yaga DLC but I'm dreading the thought of doing another 24 of these while trying to get a max score for the trophies. I love my open world games, I'll run around, picking every possible thing up, cleaning up every trophy I can get on the way and on more than one occasion, have gotten the last trophy of the game and the Plat at the same time. Fun!. This, not so much fun. Not sure why the Score Attack wasn't a DLC and a separate trophy list ?

3. Blood Ties

Not sure about anyone else but I really, really enjoyed this. It's pretty much a glorified story mode but it really fleshes out Lara and her parents story. Outstanding voice acting all round. Very well done I thought ☺️

Thanks for reading! Happy gaming everyone!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:56 AM, RustyBacon13 said:

1. Forced animal cruelty

Overall I agree, I mean if I think about the fact that when playing the campaign I hardly ever killed an animal just for the sake of it, yes those trophies related to killing deers, boars and chickens felt over the top.

2. Shock Attack or the never ending debate of trophy completion vs. game enjoyment

Score attacks were tedious, to say the least. I played them accordingly: I found guides on youtube and played while watching them replicating each exact move. I recommend doing the same because on some levels you have to move in a specific way (such as in The Copper Mill); the tombs score attacks I did them on my own bc they don't require that many points so you can move on your own. I recommend using score multipliers, especially the 'toxicity' card which is a lifesaver and it gives you tons of points. 

3. Blood Ties

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! I loved exploring the manor, figuring out the mystery related to Lara's mother and father. Way better than the other dlcs, with a more engaging story.

Edited by thrnthrn

4 hours ago, thrnthrn said:

Score attacks were tedious, to say the least. I played them accordingly: I found guides on youtube and played while watching them replicating each exact move. I recommend doing the same because on some levels you have to move in a specific way (such as in The Copper Mill); the tombs score attacks I did them on my own bc they don't require that many points so you can move on your own. I recommend using score multipliers, especially the 'toxicity' card which is a lifesaver and it gives you tons of points. 

It was tedious if you were copying the cards of someone else. The reason is that every person in the top leadboard have the card making you restart all over again if you die. That, my friend, it's the worst, because even if you die and you dont have that card, you can easily make 2-3x the required score.

After 10 games of trying to get pass the 1st map and always dying, i said screw that, and started to build my own set of cards. From there, i always got 2x times the score, even if died, and on first try. Only the tower map that requires you to climb at the top of the tower caused me trouble and i had to look into a video guide. Exept that, was easy for me

17 hours ago, bunshing said:

he reason is that every person in the top leadboard have the card making you restart all over again if you die

Not necessarily, I had to scroll a loooot in the leaderboard to find a set that didn't have the 'one life to live', but it's there you just have to spend some minutes looking for it. 

I highly recommend just following a guide video as has been suggested and One Life to Live is not an issue for most levels - mainly the combat ones but pair it with infinite poison or explosive arrows and most areas a laughably easy even on the hardest difficulty. You can look forward to doing this in Shadow of the Tomb Raider too. :|

I  enjoyed hunting animals TBH, I don't hunt IRL. I found something - I don't know maybe satisfyingly primal about tracking and killing them. AC3 first introduced this mechanic to me and a lot of games use it for crafting and I usually spend too much time on it. And Blood Ties was the best of the DLC offering. 

Edited by da-Noob123