Level 29 is impossible after the patch, is there a solution?

CloudXvitaHD

This is the last level that I need to complete in nightmare co-op to get the trophy, but the part with the raising platform is just impossible to defend myself from all the projectiles. I have a question in case that you have try and succeed after the patch.

If I download a previous version of the game and beat level 29 will that count? (I’m going to assume no, that method didn't work for other users)

My other question is, how does this method of downloading a previous version of the game works? (Could I get band from PSN from doing this)

Thank’s guys, in the meantime I’ll keep trying the level.

Edited by CloudXvitaHD

No you won't get banned from downloading a previous version. The problem is I cannot get past that Bethesda.net screen when I boot the game up on version 1.00 no matter what I do.

Truly a bullshit trophy. I've been told you need to do levels 27 - 29 in one go because you need the weapons and armor from the previous levels to stand a chance at level 29. Been stuck on this one trophy for over a year now, definitely annoying.

If you got through most of the levels on the current version of DOOM II, I commend you, because they made Nightmare even more difficult.

Edited by Spaz

Thanks for the info it's great to know that I'm not going to be band.

I have indeed finish all the other levels with the current update and honestly to me the hardest level was 17 that was a nightmare in itself.

But this level is hard for the sole reason that if you don’t have the weapons from at least level 28, you don’t stand a chance in the raising platform section. And the other reason is that is impossible to practice the level. Every time I fail that raising platform section is back to level 28 to get weapons and armor.

I think I have an idea that I’m going to try, if I succeed, I’ll post the video.

Edited by CloudXvitaHD

Impressive. I tested out level 7 on the current update and it is ridiculously hard. I never have time to kill all the fucking Mancubus and Arachnotron enemies before I die and more spawn. Projectiles are very fast.

It's even worse in the later levels. No pausing, no saving, you're stuck with a split screen making it more difficult to see things. WHY DID THEY MAKE THIS A TROPHY?!?

Yeah folks I'm sorry to hear about this patch, I had no idea it made such a drastic change.  I wish this trophy was solo OR co-op, then we could at least save often.  

The video guide I posted for levels 27-29 was for 1.05 (but I noted it higher since I never expected them to patch in harder variables, I mean what other game has done that?).  I think I may need to note that on the video so people don't get frustrated or get mislead.

With that said I have seen notes on this proxy bypass to get older versions, haven't done it yet, but glad folks have sorted that out, seems like nobody has been banned doing it ( may need to do it for FFXV). 

If 1.00 is tricky and puts you into a loop, I can say for certain that on 1.05 I was able to get all 30 levels done on my own with just 2 controllers. 

With the 1.08 patch my quick test was starting solo on level 27 nightmare with level select and the starting specters guarding the invincibility pickup are INSANE!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CloudXvitaHD said:

uhdead in patch 1.05 do you have to beat all levels in a row? or can you quit  a level, let say level 7 you quit and if you come back later to the game, can you continue from level 7?

You can do it one level at a time, and you can skip as well.  You could complete map 1, quit, then do map 13 and quit.  Once you hit all 30 you are good to go, and the secret levels are not needed.

41 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Is there a surefire way to get version 1.05? I can either revert to version 1.00 or play on version 1.08, which is the current version of DOOM 2.

Sorry I'm not sure about this.  I do wonder if each patch is out there, but perhaps only the folks with those proxy notes may know.  I'm just not sure how that process works.  I hope you could pick, but not even sure how the interface would look.

2 minutes ago, uhdead said:

Sorry I'm not sure about this.  I do wonder if each patch is out there, but perhaps only the folks with those proxy notes may know.  I'm just not sure how that process works.  I hope you could pick, but not even sure how the interface would look.

Sounds like you don’t know how to revert to an earlier version to begin with. 

Thanks anyways, I’m going to have to do some research.

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm no expert at Charles so you may have to ask someone on these forums how to properly get those links and download them.

Make sure you disable automatic updates on your console. I suggest playing offline so your console won't download the newer updates anyway.

Damn, it's so sad having to read people giving up on this. I know pulling this feat is next to impossible, but come on guys, don't give up just yet.

I remember trying on version 1.07 for hours and I just couldn't do it. Of course, I was trying the method of running the gauntlet starting from level 27 Monster Condo and then doing as best possible until I got to level 29, The Living End. After countless hours I couldn't do it either. It's just impossible. I cannot even imagine how hard it is now on version 1.08. The farthest I could get is after you use the teleport and end up ambushed on a platform with two revenants and a bunch of zombiemans directly in front of you. Trying to active the 3 switches and then running to the teleporter proved impossible because enemies spawn at random and you are basically getting assaulted from all fronts at all times. Even the smallest mistake can screw your whole run.

What I did was reverting my version of the game to version 1.00 with the PSX Download Helper tutorial that's on this forum. Now, I know @Spaz was also trying to do the same and he (and a few others here, from what I'm reading) are basically getting stuck on this version due to the Behesda.net account requirement. I don't know why I didn't get stuck on that loop when I reverted mine. After I downgraded my game, I was able to get past the main menu screen with this Bethesda.net prompt ever popping up for me. I already had an account created and my PS4 was disconnected from the Internet when I did this. And yes, before booting the game I made sure my version was 1.00.

One thing I thought wasn't going to work was the save file being no longer compatible with this old version of the game, but fortunately, that wasn't the case. I sat down and tried the same gauntlet back again. With the game running at a lower frame rate and the ability to pause to catch my breath, I was able to make better progress on later runs. Managed to get past the section with the 2 revenants and the 3 switches that you have to activate on several occasions, only to die on the final stairway to the checkpoint (If you're low on health here, enemies can still snipe you from afar...which sucks). However, after a few more tries, luck finally smiled upon me and I was able to make it to the final stairway with enough health as to run to the spot where the level ends. 

Much to my surprise, the Platinum popped right there and then. I thought I would have to re-do all of the other levels too, but nope, my same savefile worked for this version of the game. My Platinum screenshot was captured right in the spot when I was able to complete the level with barely any health left on me.

KKnFBW6.jpg

Another tip could be trying to develop mad skills like this good lad over here. That guy basically has a number of speedrun records in all of the DOOM games. That video there is a speedrun of the whole game and it shows a trick to shave off off a section of Map 29 in order to get to the end section slightly faster, but I don't know. His skills are pretty much on a God-level status. I honestly think our best bet is just to revert back to version 1.00 and try and force our way through it.

Cheers!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

I already had an account created and my PS4 was disconnected from the Internet when I did this.

This might be it right here. I didn't make an account beforehand, and even with internet disconnected and on version 1.00 I was given the Bethesda prompt. I couldn't go past it. Unless there is some secret way to get past it, I can't play on version 1.00.

Damn, it's so sad having to read people giving up on this. I know pulling this feat is next to impossible, but come on guys, don't give up just yet.

The thing is, you had a steady amount of platinum achievers prior to version 1.07 - 1.08. Look at the latest 50 achievers, most of them all got the platinum earlier this year, which was before 1.07 - 1.08 hit. Now, with version 1.08, there is a lot less people going for the platinum. The latest achiever got the platinum early November, which was a month ago.

According to this website there are 122 platinum achievers for DOOM 2. Not a bad number, given how old this game is. But... doing some simple math, there are approximately 228 people who have just the Nightmare Co-Op trophy left before platinum, including myself. There are even more people who don't have the speedrun trophy in addition to not having Nightmare Co-Op. In comparison, the speedrun trophy is piss easy compared to Nightmare.

Granted this game doesn't have many game owners, but over 200 people not having that Nightmare Co-Op trophy really says a lot in how bullshit and difficult it is. It's like comparing with Vanquish, which I counted a good 5000 - 6000 people who didn't have the Tactical Challenger trophy, but whom had everything else unlocked.

Anyway, that's a significant amount of people who don't have Nightmare. I think id Software/Bethesda should of either had Nightmare with single player allowing saves, or give us an actual multiplayer co-op mode where you can boost the trophy with someone else. Share Play just doesn't cut it.

Another tip could be trying to develop mad skills like this good lad over here. That guy basically has a number of speedrun records in all of the DOOM games. That video there is a speedrun of the whole game and it shows a trick to shave off off a section of Map 29 in order to get to the end section slightly faster, but I don't know. His skills are pretty much on a God-level status. I honestly think our best bet is just to revert back to version 1.00 and try and force our way through it.

He's played the game for a very long time, and generally those speedrunners pour in several hundred if not thousands of hours into one game to get record times. The videos will help, but I could never replicate his skills. The best I can hope for is reverting to an earlier version of DOOM II and taking each level one step at a time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

This might be it right here. I didn't make an account beforehand, and even with internet disconnected and on version 1.00 I was given the Bethesda prompt. I couldn't go past it. Unless there is some secret way to get past it, I can't play on version 1.00.

Man, I had the impression you already had an account. That's probably why you weren't able to move past that Bethesda.net prompt. Like, try creating an account on the current version (I must've set up mine on version 1.07) and then step back to version 1.00, turn off your PS4's online connectivity and launch the game. It shouldn't ask you for the account when you launch the game then. I think you can use a throwaway email for the Bethesda.net account if you don't want to register with your main email.

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

Granted this game doesn't have many game owners, but over 200 people not having that Nightmare Co-Op trophy really says a lot in how bullshit and difficult it is. It's like comparing with Vanquish, which I counted a good 5000 - 6000 people who didn't have the Tactical Challenger trophy, but whom had everything else unlocked.

Anyway, that's a significant amount of people who don't have Nightmare. I think id Software/Bethesda should of either had Nightmare with single player allowing saves, or give us an actual multiplayer co-op mode where you can boost the trophy with someone else. Share Play just doesn't cut it.

If the game had more owners, say, it was given as a PS+ freebie, then the Platinum rarity would surely be way, way below 1%. I can see most people playing DOOM II at this point being more old fans who still love and appreciate the classics and want to get a Platinum for it instead of new folks who want to try the old games because they enjoyed 2016 and Eternal. However, the developers are making sure only a few attain this Platinum here in DOOM II with that Nightmare co-op trophy. It was considerably hard already upon release, but later patches have made the task just more excruciatingly painful to complete.

A Nightmare playthrough on single player with saves would've been a much more enjoyable time. I mean, it would've still been hard, but not as painfully so as with the current setup. Agreed.

• Like 1

The first DOOM is much more bearable on Nightmare. Like, it's still a long difficult trek alone, and some levels will have you cursing at the screen and maybe smashing your controller in frustration, but it isn't as painful as DOOM II. Mostly because the level design on the first game is much more down to Earth and laid back compared to the sequel. Romero and the rest of the developers really made some troll levels back in the day on the second entry. They knew what they could do with the engine, therefore, they got a bit more creative with the level design. Maybe a bit too creative.

My guess is that version 1.08 must've made the first DOOM harder as well, but judging by rarity, I'm seeing far more players having success there. You also only need to beat the first 3 original chapters in DOOM for the trophy to pop. No need to suffer with Thy Flesh Consumed on Nightmare, thankfully, lol.

DOOM II is where the shit really hits the fan, as far as difficulty.

• Like 1

I did it, I have the platinum but it was hell. Level 29 is just replaying that thing over and over, try to remember what to do in each situation and also you have to be really lucky.

Enemy patterns are random, speacially in that goddamn lift section with the cacodemons. My recomendation is to do the level 28 & 29 run because that way you can practice level 29, that is my only advice. Practice makes perfect, yeah right after like 200 or more runs of this unholy level.

Good luck, you are going to need it. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...