PSNP 2020 Year End Awards

@Copanele ok...sure yeah MK9 beats for grindy. I will say that game at least gives you a tracker to know when you are almost done though.

I will tell you about my experience though. I had finished 4 characters so i decided to save to the cloud...i screwed up though and over wrote my save instead meaning i had to do those 4 characters again.

• Like 3

@timpurnat lol, i just finished LiS2 and I was like "who the hell is lyla". I then looked her up and realized she was the friend from the beginning of the game. I didnt contact her again as i didnt want the cops to be able to trace me and I completely forgot about the friends at the start ?

Also Borderlands sucks, I was so bored playing it even when i had friends playing with me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

@timpurnat lol, i just finished LiS2 and I was like "who the hell is lyla". I then looked her up and realized she was the friend from the beginning of the game. I didnt contact her again as i didnt want the cops to be able to trace me and I completely forgot about the friends at the start 1f605.png

Also Borderlands sucks, I was so bored playing it even when i had friends playing with me.

I was constantly expecting something would happen with her, idk she seemed like a nice and interesting character so I thought they would bring her back in the later episodes lol

And yeah I don't think I'm playing any borderlands game another time soon, I started with BL2(my fav one) and I really enjoyed it, I think it set my standards too high so now I can't really enjoy the other games in the series

Edited by timpurnat
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, timpurnat said:

I was constantly expecting something would happen with her, idk she seemed like a nice and interesting character so I thought they would bring her back in the later episodes lol

And yeah I don't think I'm playing any borderlands game another time soon, I started with BL2(my fav one) and I really enjoyed it, I think it set my standards too high so now I can't really enjoy the other games in the series

Yeah, I played the game as if I was really on the run but at the end of the church episode I decided "screw this" and just went on a murder spree :P

Also I was going to recommend Tales from the Borderlands but you platted that already.

• Like 1

I think I'll do the same as last time and put down some nominees first, before actually deciding my definite picks towards the end of hte month.

so here they are:

Piece of Cake - Nominees

Spoiler

Drowning

Sigi A Fart for Melusina

Donut County

Uncharted Tides

Queen's Quest 4

It's Like Dark Souls - Nominees

Spoiler

GoatSimulator

We Happy Few

Uncharted 2 Remastered

The Winess

The Cursed Crusade

Bad Ass Award - nominees

Spoiler

Goat Simulator

The Witness

Lightning Returns

Days Gone

God of War

Grind of the Year - nominees

Spoiler

Goat Simulator

We Happy Few

Secret of Mana

Lightning Returns

Days Gone

King of the Internet - nominess

Spoiler

Tekken 7

MotoGP 18

Worst Online Experience - nominees

Spoiler

Tekken 7

MotoGP 18

Sleeper Hit of the Year - nominees

Spoiler

Bear With Me

Regalia of Men and Monarchs

Thronebreaker

The Sinking City

The Suicide of Rachel Foster

Biggest bomb of the Year - nominees

Spoiler

Donut County

Shenmue 2

The Walking Dead Final Season

Trüberbrook

Life is Strange 2

Best Trophy Image - nominees

Spoiler

Mecho Tales

Cosmic Star Heroine

Undead Horde

Senran Kgura Burst Renewal

Scheming Through the Zombie Apocalypse

Worst Trophy Image

Spoiler

Shenmue

Shenmue 2

Football Game

Life is Strange 2

Submersed

Best Female Character

Spoiler

Chloe (Uncharted 2 Remastered)

Elaine (Regalia of Men and Monarchs)

Freya (God of War)

Sarah (Days Gone)

Meave (Thronebreaker)

Best Male Character - nominees

Spoiler

Nathan Drakne (Uncharted Remastered)

Grandpa (Regalia of Men an Monarchs)

Mimir (God of War)

Boozer (Days Gone)

Kratos (God of War)

Best Soundtrack - nominees

Spoiler

Cosmic Star Heroine

Tekken 7

Lightning Returns

Trine 4

Senran Kagura Burst Renewal

Best Plat of the Year - nominees

Spoiler

Bear With Me

Bioshock 2 Remastered

Thronebreaker

God of War

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer - nominees

Spoiler

Wheels of Aurelia

Access Denied

Paradox Soul

Deep Space Rush

Delta Squad

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 3

Piece of Cake Award - Ghost of Tsushima

L137c94.png

I'm not a fan of super easy plats, but I am a fan of immersive stories with cinematic qualities. Ghost of Tsushima was a whole lot of fun, but not a huge challenge. The story and cinematic flow of the gameplay kept me coming back for more however.

It's Like Dark Souls Award - Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

L394f76.png

This is a bit of a weird one. I've gotten several plats this year more rare than Fall Guys, but this is definitely the one that gave me the most trouble. Getting infallible without using the glitch had me playing this game obsessively, and getting several 3 and 4 streaks only to lose it became very demoralizing. You can become very skilled and consistent at Fall Guys until it's only a matter of time before a 5 game streak happens, but the luck element is ultimately what will determine if that "matter of time" is 5 minutes or 5 weeks. Keeping motivated to keep trying is what made this one challenging. Super fun game though!

Bad Ass Award - Shadow Warrior: Finishing Chapter 16 Courtyard Fight on Heroic

Lef3251.png

This was a tough decision. There were more "epic" moments I've had this year playing games (moments in The Witcher 3, The Last of Us Part 2, and FFVII:R come to mind), but as far as a moment that made me think "hell yeah", it's tough to beat finally finishing the Courtyard fight in Shadow Warrior. This fight is magnitudes more difficult than anything else in the game, and easily the most frantic. After getting demolished a number of times and having to trudge back to this fight from the start of the chapter over and over to get slightly further each time, it was a huge relief when I finally got over the frantic hump and just needed to clean up the leftovers. It felt like a victory lap, as did the rest of the game.

Grind of the Year Award - Destiny 2: Seal the Deal trophy

17Sa21d09.png

As I was scanning down my list trying to decide on this one, as soon as I saw Destiny I immediately stopped because I didn't need to see the rest. This trophy made me never want to play a Destiny game ever again, and is not only the grindiest trophy I've gotten this year, but the grindiest trophy I've ever gotten. Even though I'm still slowly chipping away at the plats for Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and MK9 and both will take more total hours to complete, this trophy is the only grind that has ever made me rage and dream for the end of the torment. This trophy is not required for the platinum (which is actually pretty easy to get and I've had for quite a while already), and is instead a BRONZE trophy in the Forsaken DLC. This bronze requires more hours by itself than what is required to plat the core game, and becomes a tedious grind very early in the process. Between having to endlessly farm old content that nobody does anymore through multiple weekly resets, to relying on the RNG gods for nightfall runs on one specific nightfall (if you're lucky enough to get it that week), to farming nodes on Mars, getting this trophy was more a relief for never having to play Destiny again than a feeling of excitement. Never again.

King of the Internet - Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout

L394f76.png

This game is incredibly fun. 'nuff said. Mediatonic caught lightning in a bottle with this game, and it is incredibly addictive, fun, and appealing to a wide demographic. I wish more online games were like this.

Worst Online Experience - Resident Evil Revelations

L98cdba.png

I actually really like this game. But raid mode online is very dead, and grinding out the plat online solo is less than fun. I'll come back to this when I can get a boosting partner to work through this with.

Sleeper Hit of the Year - La-Mulana EX

La-Mulana EX | PS Vita Games | PlayStation

I have no idea why I haven't played this game before this year, but I'm glad I fixed that problem. La-Mulana EX is an amalgamation of a huge number of features I like in a game. Metroidvania? Check. Hardcore challenge? Check. Retro visuals? Check. Amazing soundtrack? Check. Cryptic puzzle-solving? Mega check. If you like metroidvanias and a real challenge, you owe it to yourself to play this one. This is my new favorite metroidvania of all time. I can't wait to get around to playing the sequel.

Biggest Bomb of the Year - Tales of Hearts R

L73aeff.png

I grew up loving the Tales series. Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Vesperia are among my favorite JRPGs of all time. Imagine how disappointed I was when I played this mess. The story and combat are both bad, and none of the characters are memorable. I only got about 5 hours into the game before I was too bored and unmotivated to continue. It currently stands as the only game on my entire profile lower than an A rank. I will begrudgingly come back to chip away at this since I'm a completionist, but I doubt I will find much enjoyment doing so.

Best Trophy Image - FFVII Remake: Master of Fate

1Sf2a08d.png

I mean look at it. Looks pretty cool! Dominator in Resident Evil 3 was another good one.

Worst Trophy Image: Tales of Hearts R: Any of them except the platinum

17S5c4d6b.png

All of the trophies are this stupid whale except for the platinum, just in different colors depending on what grade of trophy it is. They also have absurdly weird and long descriptions. I chose bronze because it's also the worst grade of trophy.

Best Female Character - Abby from the Last of Us Part 2

The rampant body-shaming of Abby in The Last of Us Part II shows gamers  still can't accept a realistic female lead | The Independent | The  Independent

The Last of Us part 2 is clearly the most divisive game of the year. You either love it or hate it depending on your interpretation of the characters and story. I can say resoundingly that I loved this game and thought it was better than the first one. The character of Abby and how I felt about her went through a rollercoaster arc from start to finish. Without getting into spoiler territory, the game does a phenomenal job of guiding your emotions to drastically shift how you feel about Abby throughout the course of the game, and she became my underdog favorite female videogame character of the year.

Best Male Character - Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Geralt de Rivia (The Witcher), the legendary wizard of the Wolf School

I finally got around to playing the Witcher 3 this year... It's crazy that it took me this long to do so, but I became obsessed, and in particular really enjoyed the brooding, but good intentioned Geralt of Rivia. He'll go down as one of the greatest video game characters of all time.

Best Plat of the Year - La-Mulana EX: Ultimate Archaeologist

1Scd482a.png

I'll get this out of the way right now: 2020 was an insane year for games, and it's tough to choose my game of the year. Among games released in 2020, The Last of Us Part 2 is probably the winner, though FFVII Remake is no slouch. Among games that I've first played this year, it would probably be a fight to the death between The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us 2. But without a shadow of a doubt, the best platinum for the year goes to La-Mulana EX. the game itself was already phenomenally fun, but a lot of the trophies had requirements that enhanced the rewarding feel of the game, and got you to play in specific ways. You were no longer just hunting for items and secrets in game, but also on your profile through the trophy list. An already difficult game was made extra hard by having to activate hard mode. Not using sub-weapons on bosses made it even more difficult but rewarding, and completing a myriad number of requirements to get all characters in the ending makes you play the game to absolute completion, which is something you would otherwise have a hard time doing. This plat was a blast and I highly recommend anybody up for a hard but fair challenge to give it a shot. No game has ever made me feel like a treasure hunter quite like this one.

Worst Plat of the Year - The witness: Platinum

1Saa07f3.png

I liked The Witness, but hated this lazy trophy list. If you get all the lasers, there's only one trophy that you have to go out of your way to get, and even though it's a fun challenge, it's not enough to make the platinum feel terribly rewarding as a whole.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2021 - Cyberpunk 2077

Pre-purchase Cyberpunk 2077 on Steam

The hype is very real for Cyberpunk 2077, and although it will be releasing in 2020, if the Witcher 3 is any guide, it will be a length platinum indeed and I may not finish until January 2021. I am more excited than the average fanboy for this game. I've been obsessed with the cyberpunk genre since I was a kid, where I first watch Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and read William Gibson's Neuromancer. Bladerunner and its sequel are among my top 5 favorite movies of all time (as is Aliens which borrows a number of Cyberpunk elements). I enjoyed playing the Shadowrun TTRPG in high school and university, and my favorite card game of all time is Android Netrunner which I played for years (including going to the world championships for in 2016). To say I am a fan of the cyberpunk genre would be the understatement of the century. I absorb the genre, and am excited when any new addition to the media comes out. The fact that this game looks incredible, is made by the developers of one of my favorite games of all time in the Witcher 3, has been crushing it on early impressions, and appears to lean heavy into the RPG elements just makes me even more excited. It feels surreal that this is coming out next week. I was still finishing up my undergrad when this game was announced. I have passed several major personal and professional milestones since then, always looking forward to the release. It is finally upon us, and I have never been as excited for a game release as this one.

Edited by Solarus755
  • Like 4