PSNP 2020 Year End Awards

1 hour ago, Clarink said:

@Solarus755 Nice year for you I see. The Witcher 3 and Ghost of Tsushima in the same year! You are the xth person who I see didn't like Tales of Hearts R. You like the same Tales of games as I so I think I'll pass on this one. Let's hope Tales of Arise resurrect the franchise.

I liked Tales of Heart R. It wasn't the  best tales game but still fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clarink said:

@Solarus755 Nice year for you I see. The Witcher 3 and Ghost of Tsushima in the same year! You are the xth person who I see didn't like Tales of Hearts R. You like the same Tales of games as I so I think I'll pass on this one. Let's hope Tales of Arise resurrect the franchise.

Yes it was definitely a great year for games! Reminds me of the late 90s and early 2000s, when a lot of big games would come out every year. I've been spoiled by the selection this year. Your mileage may vary, but Tales of Hearts R for me just didn't feel much like a Tales game at all. There are so many great tales games out there right now, that I would do a hard pass on this one until you try some of the other greats (Such as Tales of Berseria). I only tried this one because I wanted a JRPG for my vita, but should have gone with Trails of Cold Steel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Piece of Cake Award

L83cb87.png

Easy and fun, even the fight with Mira was easy(back then I heard Mira was a hard boss battle)

It's Like Dark Souls

L777884.png

Even with cheats, the Sith Master difficulty was no joke.

Bad Ass Award

L014591.png

I feel more like I unlocked "Ultra Instinct" after playing the new Savior Mode Tournament of Power mode and playing as Ultra Instinct Goku doing that godforsaken grind.

Grind of the Year

L3218c3.png

I damn those coins to hell.

King of the Internet

La48221.png

Best Online Experience is then you don't need to win and just fight, even if it's a pro player that can kick my a** straight to hell.

Worst Online Experience

L2e311c.png

Trying to do :bronze:Tug at My Iron Heart Strings by myself, reminded me why I hate online modes. 

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Lce73d4.png

Granblue Fantasy: Versus

I loved it since it was a Fighting game with a RPG Mode. Looking forward to Granblue Fantasy: Relink if it comes west that is.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Meh, have no games that disappointed me this year

Best Trophy Image

14Lfd87a8.png

Still think the same as last year.

Worst Trophy Image

2Lcd6e03.png

Same as last year.

Best Female Character

Tied

Ayanami (Azur Lane)

3aba9762a02cec90e4a4d8aebac7c2c416085683

Iroha (Samurai Shodown)

e5da359718d58e5167464c80b89f078316085600

Best Male Character

Ezio Auditore da Firenze (Assassin's Creed)

Assassins_Creed_Ezio_ubisoft.jpg

Best Platinum of the Year

1Le753ee.png

:platinum:脱獄者

Only game I played two versions at the same time, the JP PS4 for the plat and the West Switch for the story and understanding certain things that was not in the first game and Google Translate to translate the trophies. I have no regerts to play the game that way and I'm willing to do that again with Mary Skelter Finale or another game if the PS4 version don't come west but the Nintendo Switch version does.

Worst Plat of the Year

Nothing comes to mind

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2021

Top 3(New Games)

Spoiler

Mary Skelter Finale (if it comes west or just the Nintendo Switch version comes west)

1585371697_Mary-Skelter-Finale-para-PS4-

Ys IX

visual_sp.jpg

Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1590771579

Top 3 (Games from the backlog)

Spoiler

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z(last DB game left to plat)

Lb8f8ea.png

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires(hopefully I get to it and finish it before Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires is out)

L8f227c.png

Kingdom Hearts II(My Planned 200 plat)

MV5BN2Y2NGFjZmEtMzc4Mi00MTJhLTk3NjctZGUy

• Like 3

Piece of Cake

S440045.png

Code: Realize - Future Blessings

While not a bad game, I didn't realize going into it that it was a fan disk and didn't really have any 'options'.  Still a decent game but even less interactive than most visual novels which is saying something.  Had I known that ahead of time I would have been a little less disappointed I think.

It's Like Dark Souls

S164bf6.png

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

While it's not the hardest game I've played, it's the hardest game I played this year.  Aside from what I want to put here but...that game is going to be platinum-less for another year as I continue to struggle.  V3 isn't that hard itself but the additional game modes just require a lot of...a lot.  It's a lot of game mechanics to all remember plus some RNG.

Bada$$ award

S476df8.png

9Scfd77d.png Time's Teller - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

I put this game on the backburner for literally years.  I had everything done with Ventus except this trophy, beating the Unknown Figure.  I tried and tried and tried and finally had to move on to the other games.  Well, I came back this year with no practice, no nothing.  Just booted up the game and took on the Unknown Figure and won in one go.  Now I still need to do that two more times but I was quite proud.

Grind of the Year

S9934b6.png

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online 

I love Neptunia games.  I'm intending to plat nearly the entire series. What I do not love is how bullet spongey the bosses tend to get.  Especially in the side games like this that have a different combat style.  Bosses should not like 45+ minutes in an action game.  Especially when it's not the same 6 or so bosses just recolored over and over.

King of the Internet / Worst Online Experience

None, I don't play online, no PSPlus anyway

Sleeper Hit of the Year

S6e7f0f.png

Return of the Obra Dinn

I picked this up on sale since I heard a few people really enjoyed it.  But man was it interesting.  Harder than I thought it would be but really, really interesting.  I loved the whole concept and how things got put together.  It seemed to easy at first but then it started to get nuts.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

None - I enjoyed everything I played this year.

Best Trophy Image

S86c9da.png

All of them - Final Fantasy XV

While the trophy images aren't all unique, they are quite beautiful and detailed.  Of specific note are the character-specific DLC trophies that I've shown down below

58Lec2493.png65Ld40ed3.png81L489b2c.png98Lde9a51.png

Worst Trophy Image

Se7f772.png

1Sdd5b9c.pngThe Ashen Chevalier/Any - Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

I love this game but all their trophies are just colored trophies.  And I know they used the same images for I, and I suspect for III and IV as well.  If you're going to make me put so much work into a plat, at least make it look nice!

Best Female Character

S0b6750.png

Alloy - Horizon Zero Dawn

I loved Alloy.  She's cool, she's interesting, and I really like her animations.  She's very willing to solve any and all problems herself out of a sense of curiosity.

Best Male Character

S86c9da.png

Ignis - Final Fantasy XV

He's technically playable so I'm going to consider it.  I love Ignis.  But specifically, his transition from the hyper-competent retainer to burden to blind hyper-competent retainer was just unique.  I really, really liked that they actually, permanently, disabled him.

Best Plat of the Year

S7364fb.png

Kingdom Hearts III

While I'm not the biggest fan of the new art style I will always, always love a new Kingdom Hearts game.  And it was that nice solid middling difficulty level where parts were hard but I didn't want to throw my controller.  And the plat required yo to be decent at minigames but not amazing which is absolutely great.

Wurst Plat of the Year

S9934b6.png

Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online 

I don't play games I don't like so take this with a grain of salt.  I will say the game is better than the plat.  Fighting the bosses at the end over and over and over was just too much and left me a little sour.

Most Anticipated Plat of 2021

La9d573.png Laf7462.png

Edited by Alternatewarning
  • Like 3

Now that I've finished CP2077, here's my take on this year.

Piece of Cake Award

L94b503.png

Watch Dogs: Legion

My 150th plat and first one on PS5. No surprise there, it's on par with the previous two; not very challenging but rather fun to play. And what with the "Brexit" and COVID induced restrictions, it seemed as good a way as any to go pub crawling in London.

It's Like Dark Souls Award

Lb1539e.png

Yakuza 4

I know, I know. The game's not difficult at all, and the previous years I chose Nioh or Bloodborne because they were "soulslike", but maybe I got better at those games, or maybe Code Vein, Lords of the Fallen and Nioh 2 are easier, but I didn't find them hair wrenching. Yakuza 4 was real easy, until the very last of the Ultimate Skill missions, where I always miss a few seconds to beat the last boss. I will go back to it eventually, but I swear my forearms hurt after hours of trying to get to the bloody geezer in time to beat him to a pulp.

Bad Ass Award

Lea725f.pngLb5658e.png

ex aequo: Nioh 2 and Shadow Tactics

I can't decide between the two because the gameplay is so different, but both had me sometimes feel like a "baus", either because of beating an enemy with an almost totally depleted health bar and no healing left in an epic fight (Nioh 2) or finally finding a way to execute the perfect plan with my team (Shadow Tactics).

Grind of the Year Award

L678c07.png

Borderlands 2

"Grind of the Year 2020", or "2020, the Year of the Grind", I can't figure yet... COVID cost me my job, and lockdowns gave me time to grind, and grind I did... Borderlands 2, Nioh 2, Predator: Hunting Grounds, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Warframe... Even Stellaris with it's damn RNG and AC: Valhalla with it's nearly 800 collectables could qualify. I'll go with Borderlands 2 because at times it was really the one that felt the most like a grind (and also because it's quite recent).

King of the Internet Award

Ld680e4.png

Warframe

I hadn't played the game for six years, and I was impressed by the amount of work DE put behind it. It's far from perfect, matchmaking feels like a lottery (well, actually, that's true of most games...), but I liked the way most of the players were acting, how the nice, efficient and/or helpful quickly made you forget the self absorbed wankers who wouldn't know an objective if it hit them in the face.

Worst* Online Experience Award

(* but not really)

L4b9a39.png

Predator: Hunting Grounds

Bought the game not expecting much, but it was released around my birthday and I love the first film, but not expecting much isn't the same as asking for a major disappointment. The one thing that saved the experience from being an utter torture was the team I found. Efficient, dedicated and funny, it was a great group to play with, and why I hesitated to call this game my worst online experience of the year. Let's say it's the worst online game I played this year, but with very cool people.

Sleeper Hit of the Year Award

La67b68.png

The Outer Worlds

I didn't expect much from his one either, except maybe a wee bit more because I just love old school Sci-Fi films (Forbidden Planet and the likes). But what I found was a revival of what I expected from a Fallout game, with a lot of humour, nice graphics, good gameplay... Loved it all the way and eagerly waiting for the next DLC.

Biggest Bomb of the Year Award

L4b9a39.png

I found the game mechanics bad, it lacked maps, it lacked variety... Bad experience. I could have chosen Cyberpunk 2077, as it is an AAA game, which P:HG isn't, and that it was supposed to be the game I had been waiting for the past thirty years, but I played it on PS5, so I had like maybe 40 to 50 crashes and a few - mostly vehicular - glitches, but to be fair it was less than with Fallout 3, which remains one of my favourite games, and I had great moments in Night City. I would I guess most certainly call it a PR bomb for CDPR, though...

Best Trophy Image Award

49Ld915dc.png

Hidden Hopes :bronze:(Nioh 2)

Of the games I played this year, I'd say that the ones that had the best artwork were (in alphabetical order) Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Code Vein, Cyberpunk 2077 and Nioh 2.

Worst Trophy Image Award

1L128266.png

Holy Feces! :platinum: (Manual Samuel)

Granted, it makes sense to make a trophy called "Holy Feces" look like crap, but still...

Best Female Character Award

23La9118f.png

Cassia (Blackguards 2)

Ha! Tough choice! I could of course go for the Abby/Ellie thing, but to tell the truth, I thought TLOU2 was such an orgy of violence that I couldn't relate to them (at least, when you play as Trevor in GTA V, you know you play a psycho for fun, and it wasn't the case here). My favourite female character in that game is Maria, and you don't play as her. The vast majority of the other games I played this year had custom protagonist, so male/female doesn't apply, and the cast of Man of Medan is too cliché for me to choose one of the two girls (small preference for Fliss, though). So by default Cassia, from Blackguards 2, who barely qualifies for 2020 (game finished early January). She's also a psycho, but at least she gets to be a tyrant as well.

Contender: V., from Cyberpunk 2077, if you allow games with custom characters.

Best Male Character Award

45Le89214.png

Men NZ All Blacks (Rugby Challenge 4)

Same as with the Best Female Character, most games I played this year don't really apply, as you get to choose your character's gender. As Samuel or the blokes from Man of Medan or Lords of the Fallen didn't impress me that much, I'll go with my favourite men Rugby Union team, that I played a lot in Rugby Challenge 4.

Contender: V., from Cyberpunk 2077, if you allow games with custom characters.

Best Plat of the Year Award

Lea725f.png

Nioh 2

Just love the game, the attention to detail, the ambiance. Can't wait for the remastered PS5 versions that are due in a few months.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer Avart

L4b9a39.png

This third nomination shouldn't come as a surprise given what I've written before, so 'nuff said.

Bonus Category: Best Teammates of the Year Award

L4b9a39.pngL60745a.pngLe31f85.png

Just a shout-out to some of the great teammates I met this year and that made grinding easier, and even fun thanks to mics and chaotic use of messaging, and/or helped me with tough to get trophies. Those on PSNP, at least, and with these lists, you always manage to forget someone, so I apologise in advance for that.

Predator: Hunting Ground: @Chucky-B-86, @det0xxp, @F-S-17, @Kennamer, @RatDressy@thePirateKing212, @xX_Pvt_Drake_Xx

Red Faction: Guerrilla: @Chucky-B-86, @juniordrfanatic, @kassanowa07, @kenseizenkai (miss our discussions about films :)), @me-connor2

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End: Would never have gotten the ...It trophy if not for the amazing @TXsagrada.

Cheers, mates!

QjpHMao.png

I'm a litle bit at a loss, there. Not really hyped about anything announced yet, perhaps a little bit curious about Stray. So that could be this one, or the PS5 version of CP2077, Nioh Remastered or some games I've had in my backlog for a long time, like Prey, Torment, Rebel Galaxy... That kind of things.

That is all.

Stay safe and happy holidays where and when possible.

Edited by KennethMcCormick
sp
  • Like 4

Hmmm... am I hallucinating? I felt that there was another award, the best PS+ game award??? *shrug* anyway, I was about to post here after the Platinum Rain Day but I started Doraemon Story of Seasons and I dunno if will be able to finish it on time...and well, I did it...

PIECE OF CAKE AWARD

L1c4c24.png

More like, Bottle of Mayo Award, amirite :awesome:

No shame though. Plat rain day boosted my Number of Platinum, luckily this game was released, since my last name is actually Mayo, I have to put this to my Milestone.

Honorable Mention... uhmmm... *insert POWGI game here*

IT'S LIKE DARK SOULS

Lb4f0cc.png

BLASPHEMOUS

Why? REQUIEM AETERNAM and BRONZE MEDAL. Sure it it not that tough, but I really struggled with fighting bosses without using Potions (since oftentimes Metroidvania games allows you to) and add it with speedrun *sigh* Great game though.

Honorable Mention:

Nioh which is like easier version of Souls games

BAD ASS AWARD

Melody of Memory - Tension Rising ALL EXCELLENT (PROUD)

This year made me realize that I will never get another DJ MAX and Superbeat Xonic Platinum, I need a win in rhythm department this year, I haven't get the plat of the game yet but I really felt so good getting ALL EXCELLENT on a 15-Star song.

GRIND OF THE YEAR

Lb9b273.png

MARENIAN TAVERN STORY

To be fair, comparing to other years, I didn't have much grind fest this year (or I guess I got used to it?). Anyway... Don't be fooled by those Uncommon Kemco Platinums... This game is actually tough and well... grindy. My favorite(or one of) Kemco game so far though.

Dishonorable Mention... hmm... Errand Tail, err I mean Fairy Tail I guess.

SLEEPER HIT(S) OF THE YEAR

Laa634b.pngLcb0f8a.png

CHASM | TIMESPINNER

I actually have another entry on this one but it deserved a better award so I will give this award to these 2 Metroidvania gems. I will not be surprised if you haven't heard of these 2 because I am also unaware that these 2 exists. I just stumbled upon these very hidden gems on a sale. Highly recommended to Metroidvania lovers.

Honorable Mentions:

See Best Plat of Year ^_^

Ara Fell - highly recommended to anyone that love old school turn base RPGs

LEGEND OF THE TETRARCHSpretty torn between this and Marenian as my favorite Kemco game so far.

TOKYO XANADU - imagine if Adol from Ys and Rean from ToCS has actual personality. Pretty good right... that's Kou.

DORAEMON: STORY OF SEASONS - maybe because of recency bias... I really loved it though.

BIGGEST BOMB OF THE YEAR

L4bc0bc.png

ARC OF ALCHEMIST

I also have another bigger bomb entry on this one but it deserved a more deserving award so I will put this game on this one. if the previous award is for hidden gems, this game needed to be buried further... 

Dishonorable Mentions:

See Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer <_<

ONE PIECE: BURNING BLOOD - the worst One Piece game I have played so far. They better stick with Musou... I am looking at you World Seeker <_<

BEST TROPHY IMAGE

1L53856d.png1L9ea639.png1L028125.png

Click the Image for the game trophy page.

WORST PLAT IMAGE

1Lca3003.png

Ara Fell

I mean, lazy Kemco Plats are bad and Pallet Swap Plat Images are worse... but as much as I love Ara Fell... I cannot forgive them for copying the exact image of another trophy from your list.

BEST FEMALE CHARACTER

Kirika Towa Alma - Shining Resonance Refrain

Inner weeb incoming... NGL, I liked this character cause... Saori Hayami is her VA. Runner ups are obviously weeb choices as well... Juvia from Fairy Tail, and Nami or Robin from One Piece games

BEST MALE CHARACTER

10366737.jpg

Haku - Utawarerumono

Hands down. My favorite Video game character this year. His character development is the main reason I loved the game so much.

BEST PLAT OF THE YEAR

1L9be317.png

UTAWARERUMONO: MASK OF DECEPTION

My detailed post about the game.

My TRUE SLEEPER OF THE HIT WINNER. The SRPG gameplay(or Musou if you go with Zen) may not that great but this game's plot has the best plot I have played or errr read this year. Not a huge fan of Harem *stares at Sword Art* but I didn't mind the harem in this game. I was so invested in Haku's journey and character development that I got attached as well in other characters around him. I even hated Nekone as a character which I rarely do... the last character I hated so much was Clover from 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. I highly recommend this game.

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER

1L30dbcf.png

Fairy Tail

My Detailed Rant.

The worst part is, I know what is it going to be after watching the trailer - Atelier Clone with repetitive gameplay and repetitive errands. But still, I preordered the game. Again, only play this game if it is on sale, you love Fairy Tail and has no other Atelier game to play.

MOST ANTICIPATED PLATINUM OF 2021

1L9f1435.png

Persona 5 Scramble Strikers

I dunno why they had to change it, I prefer Scramble TBH.

The only game I have been waiting for since it's release on Japan(well, aside from Doraemon Story of Season). I lost hope of the game being localized cause... COVID... but then again I remembered that this is Atlus we are talking about... they are going to milk this series til the end of time... so Yay! I might even preorder the game. Hopefully they port Persona Q/Q2 too... those games needs more love.

Edited by JaM
  • Like 3

Well, I'd like to participate in this, but I only have three platinums on this brand new account, so for the other categories, I'll list games I'm working on and make sure to note that I haven't gotten the platinum for them yet. Categories for which I have earned the platinum on my chosen game will be indicated with :platinum:.

Piece of Cake

L50c47f.png

I have not yet earned the platinum for this game, but I am well on my way there. I've found that this game has particularly easy trophies so far.

Some aspects of it (mainly the collectibles) are kind of grindy, but not so much that it really bothers me and makes me want to quit.

:platinum: It's Like Dark Souls :platinum:

Lcd4cce.png

THE GHOST SURVIVORS DLC

For this game, I did indeed earn the platinum, but I want to stress that this award goes solely to the game's DLC pack entitled "The Ghost Survivors," with emphasis on the trophy called "Hell of a Sheriff." I struggled with that final trophy so much that I eventually had to resort to SharePlay because it was so hard on my Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I do intend to return to it and try to earn the trophy myself one day, though. It's also important to note that the DLC is not part of the requirements for the platinum trophy in this game, so the platinum was fully earned by myself.

:platinum: Badass :platinum:

Lcd4cce.png

THE FOURTH SURVIVOR

The scene at the end of Resident Evil 2's "The Fourth Survivor" scenario in which Hunk walks out of the police station with his rifle and kicks the front gate open in the midst of the entire city having descended into fiery chaos is entirely badass, especially when he hears his contact in the helicopter say, "I wanted to meet the Grim Reaper."

:platinum: Grind of the Year :platinum:

Le0b581.png

While I wouldn't call this game a grind in the sense of there being a lot of individual missions or collectibles, finally beating the game on Hard Mode was quite the grind for me. I would advance through the sections only to realize that when I got to the final boss, I was too low on ammo to defeat her, so this game required many save files and many restarts in order for me to work out a strategy by which I could save enough ammo and health for the final battle. When I finally beat the game on this mode, I screamed because I was so excited. I do have the platinum for this game.

King of the Internet

La24a2c.png

I have not platinumed this game and I have not participated in the co-op as of yet, but I anticipate this game being the one game with online trophies that I will enjoy. I currently have 37 out of 69 trophies for Dying Light and my friend @funboy1246 is supposed to help me on the co-op trophies later.

Worst Online Experience

L886765.png

This game is not listed on this new account, but that's because the online trophies on this game are the reason I even got a new account and started over in the first place. Everyone knows that EA is terrible when it comes to maintaining servers for old games and there was a time that they shut this one down entirely before bringing it back due to fan complaints. At the time that I started my new account, it was looking like the servers were going to stay down forever, so I gave up.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

c5b752cc0bf052877e4057d6cb4d7203-1-25.pn

THE ASSASSIN'S CREED SERIES

I didn't really play any sleeper hits this year, but I can name one series that surprised the heck out of me and that was Assassin's Creed. I have always had an interest in true crime and unsolved murder cases as they pertain to criminology (my father was a police officer and got me interested in forensic investigation techniques), so while surfing the web and reading up on my favorite case one day, I happened upon an article showing that Jack the Ripper had been animated into a game called Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I decided that I'd like to check that out, but I wanted to understand the story leading up to it. So, I picked up the first two games in the series and promptly fell madly in love with everything about it. I LOVE this series with every part of my nerdy little history buff brain.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

L72794f.png

RE: CHAIN OF MEMORIES

Again, this is not a game I played in 2020, but as much as I love the Kingdom Hearts series, Chain of Memories changed the gameplay so drastically that I hated it.

:platinum: Best Trophy Images :platinum:

16Lc06a62.png21L9c8bb5.png25Le7d972.png

The trophy images that I really loved this year all came from the Resident Evil series, with my favorite from Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil, and Resident Evil 2 shown here, respectively.

Worst Trophy Images

41L1be89e.png 6L4ea28a.png 14Le2e860.png

Come on, Dying Light / Techland. Surely you can do better than this.

:platinum: Best Female Character :platinum:

tumblr_pfozkiMk621skp6koo3_r1_400.gifv

This award has got to go to Claire Redfield in Resident Evil 2. She was most definitely the female version of the proverbial "Billy badass."

Best Male Character

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Ezio Auditore da Firenze in his younger days during Assassin's Creed II is fine as hell. lol

:platinum: Best Platinum of the Year :platinum:

Le0b581.png

Because of Resident Evil 0's Hard Mode, its platinum was a really solid challenge. I enjoyed it very much and experienced much excitement when I finally earned it.

Worst Platinum of the Year

La24a2c.png

The fact that I completed the main game and was not even halfway done with the platinum and the fact that I got insanely bored

with the tedious gameplay before I could earn it are the main reasons why Dying Light gets my Worst Platinum of the Year award.

L986c13.png

Lbbf177.png

ASSASSIN'S CREED SYNDICATE

AND JACK THE RIPPER DLC

Assassin's Creed Syndicate's platinum will be mine sometime this year. I'm coming to get you, Jack!

Edited by Kristen Danielle
  • Like 3

Piece of Cake

L3a6da4.png

Passable at best. Very short and easy to plat.

It's Like Dark Souls

L5d1a3d.png

The Witness - Some of those puzzles were really annoying and a pain in the ass. The final area took me quite some time to get through.

Bad Ass Award

L88f3a6.png

Finally defeating the Valkyrie Queen, for me surpasesed the feeling of beating flappy goat in Goat Simulator.

Grind of the Year

Lb398a5.png

The drop rates on some of those items are just stupid. I spent over 10 hours just gridning equipmentdrops in this one. Killing the same mobs over and over.

King of the Internet

Lb19cc5.png

Didn't plat many games with online portions this year. For a change I didn't really have connection issues with a Milestone game.

Worst Online Experience

L58925c.png

The online wasn't horrible, but the matchmaking was arse.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Lfb6493.png

This was a really cool and somewhat unique concept. Had a great time with it for the most part, albeit some technical issues.

Biggest bomb of the Year

L16aa50.png

I expected this to be much better. The characters were unlikable across the board and the subject matter seemed forced.

Best Trophy Image

1L2c4918.png

Scheming Through the Zombie Apocalypse

Worst Trophy Image

1L15a0c1.png

Shenmue 2 - Due to the simple fact, that it is the same one as in the first game. Could've made it different or better for hte sconed entry, but instead they went with the same crap. Wins by default.

Best Female Character

hell-alka-1.jpg?1539943512

Meve (Thronebreaker)

Best Male Character

mimir.jpg?fit=700,394&ssl=1

Mimir (God fo War)

Best Soundtrack

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

L8d571f.png

All of the contendors were shit. This one is just shit in it's laziest form.

Best Plat of the Year

L88f3a6.png

Took me a while to get to this one, but finally did. Such a great game. Had a good time until the endgame grind and challenges.

Most anticipated plat for 2021

L4544d2.png

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

• Like 4

Piece of Cake Award: Call of Cthulhu

Lb8a2ad.png

I actually didn't play anything too brainless this year (even though I downloaded Telltale's Batman, I still haven't touched it!), so the award goes to a point and click with only a little bit of complexity... it's pretty mediocre overall, but not bad and certainly easy enough!

It's Like Dark Souls: I am Bread

L30e26f.png

Aside from an excuse to brag about doing it, this is definitely the most challenging game I completed this year! It's one of those titles that I was determined to finish because it was such a challenge, it's kind of hard to say whether it's actually a good game.... but that hardly matters when it's taking pride of place on my rarest trophy list

Bad Ass Award: Resogun - Destruction Preventer

Lc7a599.png
62M001742.png Kill 10 Destroyers in one run in Protector mode

This is one of the few trophies that haunted me from this game, and doing this definitely gave me that sweet, sweet adrenaline hit! Now if I could just do commando mode one day....

Grind of the Year: Trillion God of Destruction

L6b58e8.png

Honestly, whoever decided it was a good idea that all endings needed to be earned on 1 save file, thus making you play through 9 times needs their ass kicked! It completely killed what was an ok game in my eyes, all it needed was to have individual trophies for each character ending so you could reload just and continue...!

Special mentions to Pox Nora for existing and the Arkham City challenge maps.... ugh.

King of the Internet: Assassin's Creed III

Ldc4936.png

As I avoid most online like the plague, it's pretty slim pickings for this award - however I did actually enjoy playing wolfpack mode with my partner! It was a good addition to the online modes and I was very pleased to be able to play it almost exclusively to get all the online trophies. I'll be more than happy to play the mode again when I get around to AC:IV, even if it is a longer grind.

Special mention to Borderlands which is always a blast with friends, but as it's also couch co-op I felt AC was a better fit for the award.

Worst Online Experience: Pox Nora

L97e081.png

I know a few people feel my pain on this - a pretty mediocre-at-best online-only strategy game that is quite the grind trophy-wise. I'm thankful that the servers are stable enough to self-boost with a PC but the requirements to make a match count and the uninteresting gameplay leave very little going for this free to play title.

Sleeper Hit of the Year: Guacamelee!

L78d059.png

A pretty old PS+ title really, I remember it had a lot of praise when it was given away but it just didn't appeal to me. However, for a few reasons I ended up playing it this year and I can honestly say it deserves the praise it got and then some! Metroidvania's can be hit or miss for me, so I was very surprised how much fun I had with it, and it had just the right level of challenge for me - I'm absolutely looking to pick up the sequel next year.

Biggest Bomb of the Year: Time and Eternity

Lf751a4.png

It's quite hard for me to find an appropriate game for this category, so I've gone with a game I was originally excited to play when it came out... then I played it for an hour and never wanted to touch it again. I did however, as this year in my efforts to clear some low % games I played it, and it was as awful as my first impressions had predicted. Thankfully the trophy list isn't painful even if the gameplay experience is. 

Best Trophy Image: The Legend of Korra - Video Game Bender

1Lbb7811.png

I'll definitely get this before the end of the year, so it totally counts! Despite the flaws of the game itself, the style of the trophy tiles for Korra is fantastic, and the plat in particular is one I especially love. Of course being a fan of the IP and the character probably gives me some bias, but it's definitely my favourite.

And a special mention to a couple others below from Persona 5, Ghost of Tsushima, Trillion, Journey and Batman Arkham Origins.

27Se4deab.png 52S9e190d.png 1Sec1254.png 11S04603b.png 18S7c076e.png 28Sdee506.png 

Worst Trophy Image: Lumo - "I've quit better jobs than this..."

25Lc4e483.png

Just because a trophy is amusing doesn't mean it gets away with being ugly!

Best Female Character: Horizon Zero Dawn - Aloy

aloy-horizon-zero-dawn-game-art-nu-1920x1080.jpg

Finally finishing Ultra hard mode back at the start of 2020 allows me to put my favourite characters from possibly my favourite game here! Aloy is a fantastic protagonist in a compelling story, I find her relatable in many ways and was glad to see her journey.

Special mention to Ellie from TLOU and Yuna from GoT as well.

Best Male Character: Persona 5 - Goro Akechi

persona 5 all out attack wallpaper - Google Search

Honestly it's rare for a character like Akechi to catch me off guard (and not be spoiled for so long!) - I enjoyed seeing his arc play out and was impressed by how it was presented, while I had expected something to happen, that was not it. I'll say no more for anyone that hasn't played though!

Best Plat 100% of the Year: Little Nightmares

L761f4e.png

What do you mean that's not a plat, close enough! Actually, I think for all the plats I got this year there was something memorably tedious or frustrating so I had widen my net a bit. However, Little Nightmares was genuinely a joy to play, compelling, creepy and wonderfully atmospheric, with a great set of trophies that focus on exploration (but nothing too unreasonable!) and one challenging speedrun I would re-earn this list in a heartbeat I genuinely can't wait for the sequel!

Special mention for Horizon Zero Dawn, but I platted it a while ago, just finished up the DLC trophies this year so it doesn't count. 

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer: Pox Nora

L97e081.png

As previously mentioned, tedious, grindy and entirely unfun - plus a bad interface to boot!

Most Anticipated Plat of 2021: Horizon Forbidden West

hfwposter.jpg

I doubt it comes as a surprise that the sequel to my favourite game of the generation, and possibly of all time, is my most anticipated game for next year - if I don't have one before then, this will absolutely be the title that causes me to buy a PS5.

• Like 2

Piece of Cake Award

Sf8ba9e.png

Until Dawn

Usually not a fan of visual novel-esque games (this counts as one of those right?), but a guy I was talking to highly recommended it, so I thought 'why not?' The story was pretty good, but I doubt I'll play any more like this. I kinda like some gameplay with my story, and sparse QTEs don't really count.

It's Like Dark Souls Award

Se5d4ed.png

Terraria

I would say that I didn't really play anything *too* difficult this year, but I guess Terraria comes the closest. I haven't touched this on consoles since my Vita started to have drift issues and then my world's save file corrupted, but I picked it up when it was on sale for the PS4 and decided to finally get the platinum. I got a good chunk of my unearned grindy trophies boosted, but I still needed to farm the hard-mode bosses which I did solo. Thankfully I was able to transfer my character from the Vita which had some hard-mode gear which saved a lot of time.

Bad Ass Award

S1ae6d8.png

Uncharted Drake's Fortune - Crushing & Brutal playthroughs

Moreso Crushing than Brutal since I used the tweaks, but I felt pretty good throughout the entire game during my two playthroughs. My favorite moment would be the shoot out in the building in  Chapter 11 on my Crushing playthrough. I managed to make it through on my first attempt without dying despite being a blind playthrough. I didn't expect the last round of spawns, so I got ambushed pretty hard but was able to style on them. My performance against those last three enemies is probably one of my all time favorite gaming moments.

Grind of the Year Award

Record of Agarest War

It wasn't as bad as Cross Edge, but it was still something. It was only 200 hours, but the only reason I played this game was to get the full transfer bonus for Agarest War Zero, which has been marinating on my trophy list for 6 years, which will probably take another 200 hours but will finally get my last lovely E to an S. The game also restricted you from how you could grind up until you get the true ending as there was a turn requirement.

King of the Internet Award

Sc92de0.png / S29d63a.png

Fall Guys & Don't Starve Together

I've been playing both of these on PC a lot this year, and it's been a blast. I managed to get Infallible on Fall Guys (which means I probably should've played on console for that plat, but I'm definitely not doing that again), and I've been playing a lot of DST with friends since we've been quarantining real hard and thought we should suffer together.

Worst Online Experience Award

Sc92de0.png

Fall Guys

I mostly played it on release, and there were a lot of glitchy shenanigans and hacking going on. I haven't played much in season 2 or 3, but I imagine they've cleaned a lot of it up by now.

Sleeper Hit of the Year Award

Sec9a6e.png

Caligula Effect - Overdose

The only thing I knew about this game before playing it was that it was like a budget Persona game, which honestly wasn't wrong and is extremely accurate. The story was okay and the battle system was pretty fun. Now where it really shined was the soundtrack. I'd honestly put it over P4 & P5's which had really good music, but most of Caligula's made it to my actual playlist.

Biggest Bomb Award

S7364fb.png / S86c9da.png

Kingdom Hearts 3 & Final Fantasy 15

Square Enix has been dropping the ball on pretty much everything I've played lately that isn't Dragon Quest related. I finished up the DLC for FFXV, so I got to drag it through the mud again with my opinion of the game when I played as Ardyn. I've also learned that I'm not really a fan of Kingdom Hearts this year, as I didn't like 3 at all, and when I attempted to go back to finish one of the two playthroughs for BBS, that effort only lasted like an hour. I'm still wondering when I'll get around to finishing the DLC trophies for 3 cause it honestly might be awhile.

Best Trophy Image

1L59991e.png

Record of Agarest War - Consummate Consummator

Ellis's face in this image is a total mood that describes 2020 accurately for me.

Worst Trophy Image

2L89870f.png

Dragon Quest XI

While not a bad image by itself since it looks like a really nice book, but hey decided to use the image for every story based trophy, which I kinda don't like.

Best Female Character

kuchinashi_caligula.gif

Kuchinasi - Caligula Effect

Her story arc was one of the best in the game, and her theme was probably my favorite track.

Best Male Character

dqxi_sylvando.jpg

Dragon Quest XI - Sylvando

Sylvando needs no explanation. I recommend playing DQXI to anyone who hasn't so they can experience everything Sylvando has to offer.

Best Platinum

1L54495c.png

Uncharted Drake's Fortune

Definitely the game I've had the most fun getting 100% this year. Shame it went downhill from there back in January ? Disgaea would be a close second for the description since I'm realistically going to stack it one day.

Worst Platinum

1L8d60cc.png

LittleBigPlanet 2

While not a terrible game, I didn't care for most of the trophy list (including DLC), and when compared to everything else I've played this year, there's really no competition for this award.

Most Anticipated Platinum

It'd have to be a tie between Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, as I'm a HUGE Suikoden fan, and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster, as that was my introduction into the SMT universe (and later got me to play the Persona series). Special shout out to Disgaea 6 and Rune Factory 5, which while they won't have trophies, they will consume a large amount of my gaming time next year.

• Like 2

Piece of Cake Award
S3d258b.png

I have no shame...

Honestly I have a lot of filler plats this year since I wanted Persona 5 Royal and 13 Sentinels as milestones. Also hoping I can make Persona 5 Strikers or the PS5 version of Yakuza Like a Dragon my 200th.

Although now that I think about it... These required less effort since I transferred my PS4 saves:

S4697d7.png

Se64b98.png

It's Like Dark Souls
I guess my hardest platinum of 2020 would be this one:
S946a06.png

Bad Ass Award
Unlocking Ghost Stance for the first time!

Grind of the Year
S946a06.png

Honestly the biggest grind I did in 2020.

King of the Internet
Sc92de0.png

Had a lot of fun in Season 1 but I haven't played since

Worst Online Experience
S61ad42.png

Had bad luck trying to boost the 530k BP trophy. Probably gonna give up for now :( 

Sleeper Hit of the Year
Sfe5e18.png

This game really blew me away honestly, considering it's a free tech demo.

Biggest Bomb of the Year
S03f926.png

Kinda got disappointed with the leaks, but I'll still get the game down the line. On sale of course.

Best Trophy Image

Can't really decide from these four:
1S3158eb.png1S9058ea.png1Sed1009.png1S2cc029.png

Worst Trophy Image

I'm not going through all my trophies so here's the worst plat image:

1S5a6448.png

Best Female Character

Saeko Mukoda (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)

Best Male Character

Gonna list my top 3, excluding characters who were playable in previous years :)

Ichiban Kasuga (Yakuza: Like a Dragon)

Jin Sakai (Ghost of Tsushima)

Miles Morales (Spider-Man: Miles Morales)

Edit: Didn't see 'to play as', keeping this one as a special mention:

Takuto Maruki (Persona 5 Royal)

In order:

1S3158eb.png1S9058ea.png1Sed1009.png1S2cc029.png

Same as my favorite trophy images actually!

1S5a6448.png

The things I do for milestones...

Can't decide between these two:

1. Persona 5 Strikers

2. Yakuza Like a Dragon (PS5) - Assuming it has a new list

Edited by jantrick2
  • Like 3

Piece of Cake Award

Stranger Things 3: The Game

ovFJiUq.png

I was picking between games that at least required some sort of action, unlike the ones like Telltale's Wolf Among Us game or Erica that I also played this year. This was a breeze through, even on perma death mode that is required on a second playthrough. Pretty fun old school arcade game and plus points if you are a Stranger Things fan.

It's like Dark Souls

Final Fantasy VII Remake

HVtQY86.png

No other game this year made so sweat and almost throwing the towel to give up on my platinum. I had to do several "patient" runs on Bahamut's challenge and had several of them failed before I finally pushed through it to the final challenge, which was way easier than most bosses in the game. Not to say that the hard mode was anything easier either. It was challenging, but it was a lot of fun at the same time.

Bad Ass Award

Resident Evil: Revelations 2

wHzLcP8.png

There's Something in There

I was debating between many other moments this year, but then I remember what happened early on in RE: Revelations 2. I was going through the last mission on the hardest difficulty while having all the enemies invisible. At the last boss, I managed to defeated without me taking any damage and without me even noticing. I can confirm that, cause that was one of the gold reward requirements for the trophy and it showed up at the end screen. Making a bad ass moment without me even realizing it. ?

Grind of the Year

Assassins Creed Valhalla

TWw9imB.png

I was fully expecting it to be Death Stranding this year only if that game didn't crashed on me and corrupt my save data in the process so I can't count that. I was also considering Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch given that there is a pretty strict RNG loot system that can make the end grinding a complete nightmare. Instead, Valhalla takes the cake, cause this was probably the most grindiest Ubisoft game to date and unfortunately one of the most buggiest so careful planning was required to make it sure that your progress is not bugged. Thankfully, I managed to go through it without serious issues, minus perhaps the crashes, but it took soooo long to get there for me.

King of the Internet

Resident Evil 5 (PS4)

FsfUsAU.png

Had a few decent online experiences this year. Most notable and fun was doing all the online trophies for RE 5 that finally helped to push this game into 100% mark. All this makes me wish that Capcom can also release a remake of Resident Evil Outbreak.

Worst Online Experience

Ghost of Tsushima (Online)

COwDl0e.png

This may be my fault for not getting a dedicated group of players, but I really hate when you are force to have a random co-op partner, only for the to either not listen or disconnect any time something goes even remotely wrong so you have to restart the entire mission. Hopefully, next year when I try to tackle the online trophies will result in better experience

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Darksiders Genesis

xs8l9Ka.png

I was really disappointed with Darksiders 3 and I wasn't expecting much from a spin off title that tried to go with the Diablo gameplay style. To my surprise, this was actually really enjoyable with and the gameplay was really well utilized. It gave me an appropriate challenge as well going through the Apocalyptic mode and the boss music was some of the best in the series. It's a shame that I don't see many people talking about this, cause this is really good. 

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Resident Evil 3 Remake

kzIor1Q.png

I really didn't want to put RE 3 Remake here. I still had some fun with it, it's not a bad game, and I don't regret playing it, but at the same time, it was one of my most anticipated game of this year, my first 2020 platinum game, and I just expected way more. Remake is suppose to expand on the original and improve some areas, not to strip them down to bare bones and make some changes for the worst. They cut down so much content only to focus on Resident Evil Resistance, that was bundled in it and one that I could not just care less to play. It's a real shame, cause this could have been great like Resident Evil Remake 2. Hopefully, Village will not suffer from any of the draw backs.

Best Trophy Image

Final Fantasy VII Remake Platinum Image

5flNHUg.png

I can probably pick many others, but this one is the big winner for me.

Worst Trophy Image

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Everything)

0Hpx1uk.png

This is not so much as the worst image, but rather the laziest. Every trophy image in this game is the same looking. Couldn't take few images from the game and put it as trophy icons?

Best Female Character

Kasumi Yoshizawa - Persona 5 Royal

BgiVRhl.jpg

I was ready to give this award to the Second Sister from Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order or Tifa from FF VII Remake, but then I played Persona 5 Royal towards the end of the year and my choice instantly changed. One of the best written character in Persona 5 that was added to the Royal edition and what big impression she left on me when I finished the game. Her story arc resonated with me so much and was one of the big highlights going through the game once again. Also, word of advice. If a girl brings you lunch that she made herself on a second date, stick with her. You will know what I'm talking about when you play the game.

Best Male Character

Barrett Wallace - Final Fantasy VII Remake

99J7tNf.jpg

This was a difficult pick as I had many candidates I was considering like Cloud from FF VII Remake, Majima from Yakuza Kiwami, Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima, and Dr. Maruki from Persona 5 Royal. I have to ultimately give it to Barret, cause he was the real MVP for me in that game and through out the year. He had some of the greatest moments and I always found fun to play as him. He was already one of my favorites from the original, but the Remake made him even better.

Ghost of Tsushima Platinum

ZmeIFtl.png

This was not an easy choices. I had to pick from 57 platinum trophies I made this year where most of them were so much fun to go through for many different reasons. Games like FF VII and RE 2 Remake for the challenging difficulty, Persona 5 Royal and Wolf Among Us for their stories, Control and Ghost of Tsushima for it's artistic design, Outer Worlds for it's humor, and so much more. If I had to be honest, my top three are easily Final Fantasy VII Remake, Ghost of Tsushima, and Persona 5 Royal. These are gonna be the most memorable games for me this year as they brought me so much joy through the hard times.

That said, I can only pick one and ultimately decided to go with Ghost of Tsushima for a reason that it became my 100th platinum. I started pretty late as a trophy hunter and since then, it made go back to completing and playing games that I would normally not do. It gives me that sense of striving for a goal at something in games and it makes them (sometimes) that much enjoyable. Ghost of Tsushima did just that and it made not only to work towards the platinum, but also the big milestone. My goal is to hit 200 platinum milestone in the next 2-3 years and I hope that game will be as special as this one.

Life of Strange 2 Platinum

Jj3mfgD.png

Well, talking about the exact opposite from what I just said. I did not want to complete this game whatsoever ever since I started the first episode. I was a fan of the first Life is Strange and I even defend it to this day, cause the topic they tackle is very relatable and feels real in some sense, to which I always give the writers credit for. I don't know what the hell they were smoking, but they managed to create a cartoonishly baffling world that deals with a serious subject matter in a such a black and white fashion that I could only imagine an 10 year old can come up with something like this. It's not only how over the top the story is presented all the sudden, but it's also insulting to the common intelligence of anyone playing this game. Not only that, but the developers are also disingenuous about this being a fictional setting from the disclaimer so there is that.

I don't want to go on too long, but I can say that I regret having this in my trophy list. Yes, it's a very easy platinum, but the story is insufferable to go through and I will never play this game evr again in my life nor will I ever play any games from these developers. Congrats Life is Strange 2. You sucked this year!

Most Anticipated Platinum of the Year

Resident Evil Village

8TzjvCs.jpg

I'm looking forward to this game ever since it was announced and I'm hoping the trophy list will not be anything drastic, cause I'm strategically planning this to be my first PS5 trophy, once I get the console. Given that the release date is aiming to be somewhere in April, hopefully there will be more consoles stocked by then so I don't have to wage war over them on the internet. Anyway, this looks to be an exciting time from what the trailers have shown us so far so I'm very much looking forward to this. 

• Like 4

So many great choices and so many entries :) Thanks everyone.

I am trying to plat Erica today so I am going to wait until tomorrow to post mine. I saw someone also put Erica for top grind...I don't know I did Chains of Memories this year so it will be close (and yes I am comparing the 10 hour of Erica to the 90 hours of Chains of memories :P )

• Like 1