Are you going to use PS5 as an opportunity to change how you play?

rdhight

I learned my lesson about ridiculous backlogs with the PS3. The PS4 era was mostly about condensing my interests on a few genres I really enjoy. PS5 will be even tighter, with less frivolous purchases.

• Like 3

Pretty much the same as everyone above.  This PlayStation 5 Generation I will do my best to limit my backlog.  As my PS4 Gen, I am still sitting on around 30 games I need to clean up.  And it drives me nuts.  As I seldom play 2 games simultaneously, so it usually takes me a while as I try to get the most of out the game I am in.  I literally take my time, and get the most out of the experience. 

• Like 3

Only purchasing AAA and PS exclusives I want on disc (sometimes game of year and steelbook editions if I really want to add to my collection), EZPZ platinum games digitally, and always getting DLC. Will take advantage of sales. I don’t region stack to save time and money. 

• Like 1

When I get a PS5 I’ll try my upmost best to not get a huge PS5 library. Despite the fact having an enormous PS4 backlog, I still buy games every month (Death Stranding for €19.99 is exactly what I’ve been waiting for all this time).

I will try to focus on max. 3 PS5 games and only then buy the next one when they’re finished.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaivRules said:

I made a big change when I moved to PS4 to not create a huge backlog I’ll never get to and to only purchase games once I’m ready to play them. I deviated slightly, but did way better than I did with any other console in my history. I’ll stick to the same thing with PS5. Things go on a list until I’m ready to play them. Then I’ll purchase it (physically if possible) and play it. Even if I don’t pay the cheapest price then, it’s better than all the wasted money sitting in unplayed games. 

Same here, I was awful for doing that but a lot better more recently. The PS5 I'm totally expecting to keep to the mantra of only buy when I play 

• Like 2

Aside from the backlog stuff, which, despite my best intentions, will always be a problem for me because I have the money but not enough time to play everything..

I have a bad habit of multitasking. I often had my laptop open the whole time I was playing games, and whenever I hit a long load screen or a boring cutscene, my gaze would shift over to my laptop (or phone), and then I'd be distracted for 10 minutes before getting back to the game. But, with PS5's almost nonexistent load times, I've already become much better about closing the laptop and focusing on the game more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sticking to my same methods.

Excited for a game? Preorder. (Edition varies on excitement)

Want to play game eventually but enjoying what I’m up to now? Buy it on first price reduction / sale... even if it’s only 10$ off.

Completely missed a launch or wasn’t super excited but still interested? Grab it on a deep sale.

My backlog is under 10 games and that’s generally my goal. I never want to run out of games. Especially this past year with COVID, and the fact that things are getting worse again I’ve been in lockdown basically forever due to risk factors. So it’s game after game.

I will say I’m more keen to invest in new adventures rather then revisit a new revision of a game. Like I love AC but I won’t grab Valhalla until a deep sale just due to other interests.

All these posts about limiting backlogs and I just know I'm going to amass a massive backlog on the PS5 eventually, already have something like 200+ games sitting in my PS4 backlog.

With how expensive PS5 games are, and assuming they stay that price, I likely will be waiting on games a lot more, unless they're something niche that I think might actually get more expensive as time goes on. No way am I paying £60-70 for a PS3 remake of a game I already played, as much as I like Demon's Souls, I'll be waiting till it's at least £30 before I get it. And it'll be the same thing for other PS5 games, unless I really really want to play it at launch, which I rarely do nowadays, too many games are just broken messes when they first come out now sadly.

On 04/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, peffsi said:

I have a bad habit of multitasking. I often had my laptop open the whole time I was playing games, and whenever I hit a long load screen or a boring cutscene, my gaze would shift over to my laptop (or phone), and then I'd be distracted for 10 minutes before getting back to the game. But, with PS5's almost nonexistent load times, I've already become much better about closing the laptop and focusing on the game more.

Oh man, I do the exact same thing. I've even done it in turn based RPGs where I don't really need to be looking at the screen constantly while grinding or something. I'm hoping the PS5's loading times will deter me from doing this as well, but I have a feeling as the gen goes on more games are going to be getting more substantial loading times.

• Like 3

For me personally, the next gen consoles simply amplify my previous approach to gaming: playing the past. Cyberpunk's disastrous, deceptive launch is my biggest and most recent argument why nobody should EVER buy games at launch ever again. If you still do you're just an idiot that will never learn. Yes, I call everyone an idiot who buys games at launch. You should now better. The current situation once again leads me back to older games. GTA IV runs at an uncapped 60 fps on Series X. Final Fantasy XIII got a 4K patch. The new machines are great to experience older games on way more potent hardware. Faster load times are only one great improvement here. Why in Sephiroth's name should I torture myself with unfinished, buggy, broken garbage like Cyberpunk when I can play the Witcher III in 60 fps? 

• Like 1

no more pre-orders, nothing new, everything on sale, no more impulse buys which add to my backlog... currently I have 7 games I want to get to completion...or closer to.. and 11 unplayed games that I have yet to start... including Mayo 2... then after that I swear no more cheap plats

all this hinges of course on getting what amounts to a unicorn right now

• Like 3

I am already incredibly picky so If i even get a PS5 I doubt that will change much if at all. Plus I prefer physical and only buy the digital/rental when it hits 5$ on a sale. Plus I wait about a year and see if a Complete edition gets released, not the vanilla edition with a code either but an actual complete edition even if it is an import copy.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 6:09 AM, R4M Jolly Monk said:

For me personally, the next gen consoles simply amplify my previous approach to gaming: playing the past. Cyberpunk's disastrous, deceptive launch is my biggest and most recent argument why nobody should EVER buy games at launch ever again. If you still do you're just an idiot that will never learn. Yes, I call everyone an idiot who buys games at launch. You should now better. 

Yeah. I successfully avoided No Man's Sky, Anthem, Breakpoint, Andromeda, and now Cyberpunk. But... I bought Legion at launch, and that dropped to $30 like a couple weeks later. Valhalla and Immortals are also on sale already. Yuck.

What about the future? Far Cry 6 got delayed. Destruction All-Stars got delayed. Deathloop already got delayed this summer. Bloodlines 2 got delayed. Outriders got delayed. Biomutant... probably still exists? Bridge of Spirits got delayed. This does not exactly fill me with hope we're about to get a generation of right-outta-the-gate masterpieces! There are going to be more blown launches, more titles that follow an Early Access-like path and put players through months or years of post-launch rebuilding.

I think this is shaping up as a great time to dig in and outwait them.

12 minutes ago, rdhight said:

Yeah. I successfully avoided No Man's Sky, Anthem, Breakpoint, Andromeda, and now Cyberpunk. But... I bought Legion at launch, and that dropped to $30 like a couple weeks later. Valhalla and Immortals are also on sale already. Yuck.

also avoided all of these, with the exception of no man's sky. that was the last time i preordered anything.

• Like 1