Getting a PS4 only made me love my PS3 even more

lettmon

I'm not saying that the PS4 sux, but I have only a few games on it yet and all of them were more or less disappointments for me. Maybe it will change at the end of the year when I will buy a bunch of games on sale, but so far the only things I like are that the PS4 works faster and has the suspend mode. Also I like Dualshock 3 more than 4 due to the battery life and the Start and Select buttons.

The games I have so far:

- Uncharted 4: the only game I like, it's not as good as UC2 but I like the stealth action. The ending was disappointing however, I wanted it to be epic (it's the end of Uncharted!) but it was the opposite of that.

- God of War: felt like a generic third person axe shooter to me, the worst GoW by far for me, I really don't get the love for this game. You travel through a boring dead world back and forth through strange platforms and corridors fighting the same enemies with little variations in them.

- Gran Turismo Sport: this GT feels like a training simulator, not a game, 5 and 6 were far better if you ask me. The only fun part were the challenge races, without them I would despise this game ?

- Journey: I got it for free, it is the same game, the most overrated little indie walking/sliding/flying sim of all time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like 4

ps3 is a beast. i have 8 of them. before big flash drives they were essential for me to be a all around media player. i have one in every room packed with movies and music. the only thing i like about ps4 is the graphics are alot smoother and the capture video is a nice thing to add. the xmb is so much better on ps3. i never look at my friendlist anymore which means i forget most of the people ive added and gamed with. on ps3 scrolling down that list everyday once i logged on was more natural. plus there was a few games you could easily play your mp3s in the background on. i was relaly let down on release day of ps4 it took me about 2 years to actually like it. 

What I noticed with PS4 games compared to PS3 games is that the story is far more important. PS3 games were more about gameplay than following the story, stories on PS4 have become a big factor to have a successful game.

Maybe hack and slash or Souls-games are more your thing? I could be wrong. I just read that you disliked God of War 2018 cause of the boring combat when GoW 2018 is a lot more focused on the story and character development, older GoW games are more about the action and epic battles, it wasn’t open. Perhaps you need to play something more action based and not “beating around the bush”.

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lettmon said:

I play multiplats on PC. I look forward to Spider Man and maybe Tlou2. The Souls games are not my kinda games.

There’s a list on PSNP that shows most owners of games. Thats a good list to follow. I think you can find it under the tab “games” then put it on “PS4 - most owners”

• Like 2

I have more games on the ps3 than ps4, but the games I really enjoyed and wanted the most are on the ps4.

though the ps2 will remain still my no.1 most favorite Playstation console ever.

now if only Sony to continue the ps2 on ps4 line up and we got Ghosthunter, Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3 and Dead or Alive 2 Hard Core with trophies support ?

• Like 1

I completely agree. I feel so much nostalgia when I think about the PS3 generation. :wub: ? 

It’s like every PS3 game had that epicness, that greatness, that “wow” feeling, which, in general, I didn’t feel with most PS4 games.

The only PS4 game that, if I had to define it with one word, I would say “Wow” is TLOU 2. Because that’s what I felt the entire time I was playing it; in my mind, I kept saying “Wow”. This is truly the game the PS4 was missing.

There are many PS4 games that I like and games like Spider-Man or God of War are undeniably good, but, honestly, that engagement and special feeling that the PS3 almost always gave me just weren’t there, at least for me.

Edited by Carol
  • Like 1

I liked the PS3, still play it regularly as I still have a backlog for it, but... It's honestly my least favourite Sony home console in terms of its games.

Some of the triple A games on PS3 were pretty good, some were better than their PS4 sequels/counterparts I'd say, much prefer the Uncharted trilogy on PS3 compared to 4 and Lost Legacy on PS4 for example. It didn't have a lot of JRPGs though, and being the weeb I am, that kinda killed it for me a little. Many JRPGs it did get, were ports/remasters, and it had very few good exclusives. And further still, some of the best games worth owning for the PS3 are just PS2 collection ports, and hey, I'm not complaining, I always like it when old games are made available for newer systems (though it would be nice if they were just backwards compatible to begin with), but like the Switch and it's plethora of Wii U ports, it doesn't really leave a good impression for me when a lot of a console's best games are just old games. PS4 does kinda have this issue as well.

I have more PS4 games than PS3 games now, heck, pretty sure I've even played more PS4 games than PS3 games at this point. I was a little late to the PS3, didn't get mine till 2008 and didn't even bother to make a PSN account until about 2011, whereas I've had the PS4 since launch. PS2 was still getting a lot of games late into its life, some exclusive, so I never felt much urgency to get a PS3 until it had a decent number of games I was interested in.

I do prefer the Dualshock 3 to the Dualshock 4 as well, as you said, it has much better battery life and just overall feels better to hold. Do prefer the Dualshock 4's triggers, that's about it though.

There's also some things I also just prefer about the PS3's OS and UI in general. I like how on PS3, looking at your saves doesn't take 5+ minutes to load everything up, it just loads up your most recent saves so it's instant, as it should on PS4. Also, I've never once needed to rebuild any of my PS3 consoles' databases, whereas I've had to do it a number of times on PS4 over the years, as well as basically soft factory resetting my console due to my profile somehow getting corrupted. Never had such issues on PS3. The XMB does also often feel a lot less laggy than the PS4's UI, not to mention the PS3 can play PS1 games, both physically and digitally, which for some reason were never brought over to PS4 when it's almost definitely capable of running PS1 games given my potato of a phone can emulate PS1 games flawlessly.

The PS5 so far is giving me a lot of PS3 vibes, and it's the only Playstation console aside from the PS3 and PSP that I haven't bothered to get at launch. Literally the only game exclusive for it right now that I want is Demon's Souls, and I've already played the original, so I don't think it's worth shelling out for a new console for just one (remade) game currently. I'm kinda hoping they release a model with a bigger SSD at some point, as the current storage space is way too low, that coupled with the fact you apparently can't even upgrade the storage currently. Either way, will definitely get one eventually, but I don't really care to right now, especially considering I have no space or free HDMI ports for it at the moment anyway; already have 8 consoles hooked up to my TV at the moment.

Anyway, enough of my rambling... I think you should look into more games for the PS4 personally. I know looking into what's popular for the system is often a good start, but just because a lot of people like a game doesn't mean you will, as you've already found with some of the titles you've played. I dunno what kinda games you generally like, but it may be a good idea to think about what games in the past you've enjoyed and look into games with a similar genre/theme available for PS4. Some of my favourite games on PS4 are not the big triple A ones, if anything, a lot of them have been disappointing for me this gen, especially the Uncharted games, Horizon Zero Dawn and the newer Ubisoft games.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 7:34 AM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

ps3 is alright esp if you hunt URs lots there since for the longest time everyone was on xbox. there are tools that allow you to use any controller with a ps3 and nowadays dualsense work out of the box, and the controller is the thing I hate most about ps3. I miss dead space n shit so I might buy one.

I still love my ps3 and the controller battery life is mint. But syncing trophies or trying to do anything on the xmb is atrocious. Everything OS wise works like a dream on ps4 but is painful on ps3. 

But no big deal I just trophy hunt then when I'm done for the time I sync my ps3 and walk away while it does whatever the hell it's doing. Then turn it off later haha

I've honestly gotten more bored and a little tired of today's offerings. The PS4 is still relevant because a lot of games for the PS5 still have PS4 counterparts.

I don't praise the PS3 system and it's interface because it's vastly inferior to what the PS4 has. But I think AAA games from the PS3/360 era had a lot more going for them when it came to original ideas and innovation.

It's pretty sad that I can play games from 2005 - 2010 and find them a lot more fun than the stuff that has come out these past two years. I'm playing through Just Cause 4 right now and it is a complete and utter slog. It almost directly borrows heavily from Just Cause 2 and Just Cause 3, yet Just Cause 4 is so boring. I booted up Prince of Persia 2008 and Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on my alt account the other night. Both games that are over a decade old by this point, and somehow, I was having a lot more fun with them.

There was a time in the mid 2000s where I'd play Tom Clancy, God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, etc and really had fun. Every big release felt different. Prince of Persia, God of War and Metal Gear Solid 2 were wildly different from one another. But now every other AAA game feels the same, looks the same, and plays the same to the point where they begin losing their identity. It's like I'm still having to do clean up after I finish the story, whether it's good or not is subjective.

And to see a game like The Last of Us Part II win a record for the most awards given out to a game pisses me off a little.

This will come off as me being an 'old man ranting at clouds', 'dwelling in nostalgia', 'wearing rose tinted glasses', 'stuck in the past', 'is stubborn and close minded', whatever. That Astro Bot game on the PS5 is the only game that appeals to me on that system. Every other game that looks appealing I can get on the PS4 anyway since there is a corresponding stack. I appreciate 60 FPS but don't much care for 4K still.

After nearly 30 years of gaming, I guess I'm coming to the realization that the industry is now catering to the younger generation. Guys like myself aren't the focus anymore.

• Like 4