Gamehelp

PS3 and Vita sales?

46 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

I’ve always said that it was a bad idea to stop selling PS3 and Vita games. They should do one last sale and mark them 75% off to end the year. They’ll make money regardless and those games are still in demand to be bought. 

Better yet, make it a "mark the end of the console" (in sonys hive mind) sale!

75% off seems too little. Why not 80% or even more? Or like a £€$5-10 sale? There cant be too many people buying full price games for the vita or ps3 anymore? Give the two consoles one last kickstart to the heart (Crüe<3) 

Better to go down swinging than limp i always say. 

On 05/12/2020 at 6:05 PM, diskdocx said:

I mean I can't force you to believe it. There are still devs dropping Vita games. Many are crossbuy. They discount the PS4 versions but not the Vita versions. It wouldn't make much sense to do that.

The web store no longer shows PS3 or Vita games and the store on those consoles isn't updated - so if a Vita game went on sale, how would anyone know since the Vita store won't be serviced by Sony?

Maybe @breathofwater or @luckydonut can give a more official, 'on the record' confirmation. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

As far as I'm aware, we can still publish new Vita games and cross-buy is still an option. We can also submit temporary price discounts for PS Vita.

The incentive to do either of these things is extremely low, though, because neither seem to receive any exposure on the store any more. 

As every (current) game of ours is cross-buy, you can still get the Vita version at a discount whenever the PS4 game is reduced. Best thing you can do is use PS Prices and set a watch for the PS4 version games you're waiting to be reduced.

For our next release (Roundout by POWGI, out next Tuesday) we have not made a Vita version. Costs went up, visibility went down and sadly it felt like the decision was made for us.

It was a pretty good run though, I think.

1 hour ago, luckydonut said:

As far as I'm aware, we can still publish new Vita games and cross-buy is still an option. We can also submit temporary price discounts for PS Vita.

The incentive to do either of these things is extremely low, though, because neither seem to receive any exposure on the store any more. 

As every (current) game of ours is cross-buy, you can still get the Vita version at a discount whenever the PS4 game is reduced. Best thing you can do is use PS Prices and set a watch for the PS4 version games you're waiting to be reduced.

For our next release (Roundout by POWGI, out next Tuesday) we have not made a Vita version. Costs went up, visibility went down and sadly it felt like the decision was made for us.

It was a pretty good run though, I think.

That is very sad news. Totally understandable, but really sad nonetheless. We have been lucky to have as much support as we did for the Vita from some great developers that kept it going long past when Sony abandoned it, but I suspect the end is really coming soon.

I'll still grab the PS4 version and remote play it, but honestly your games were just perfect for the Vita.

Any chance we will see PS5 releases to replace the Vita?

On 12/5/2020 at 4:56 PM, BeautifulTorment said:

No. As in, Sony has the say as to whether or not things go on sale. Surely a lot of devs or publishers may have different agreements in place, but the final decision of PSN sales and sale prices lies with Sony. You can disbelieve, conflate, and ponder all you like but that's what I've been told from several sources...

2 hours ago, luckydonut said:

We can also submit temporary price discounts for PS Vita.

So it looks like publisher can still put Vita (and presumably PS3 content, although I don't believe luckydonut has any PS3 content) on sale if they choose.

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

Any chance we will see PS5 releases to replace the Vita?

We're not rushing to PS5, but yes. Sometime next year.

3 minutes ago, cris3f said:

I know reasonably well 2 European publishers and 1 american that have Vita and PS3 games.

The Europeans both told me that for years on the european PSN (UK, all euro countries, Australia, NZ, and I think middle east and South Africa) sales were invite only. They could not ask to participate and it was Sony Europe that chose and invited publishers to participate in each sale, and it was their decision what was added or not, after publishers submitted their options. I've heard exactly the same things elsewhere. Only chance was if the game was cross-buy and only the PS4 version would be on sale, you got the other ones in the bundle.

So publishers could not decide to have games on sales or not. European PSN store is gone, all european sales and stuff now is done in the US headquarters since the beginning of 2020.

The US one has told me at the beginning of 2020 the could not ask for sales of Vita and PS3 games, and even if they could they would be ignored and not added.

Asia still seems to have a few PS3 and Vita games but selection is minimal.

Sony gets a percentage of the price the game is sold. I only have information from one of them, that the percentage is similar, whether the game is on full price or on sale.

TL;DR version: Sony doesn't care and treats certain publishers like shit.

54 minutes ago, cris3f said:

The Europeans both told me that for years on the european PSN (UK, all euro countries, Australia, NZ, and I think middle east and South Africa) sales were invite only. They could not ask to participate and it was Sony Europe that chose and invited publishers to participate in each sale, and it was their decision what was added or not, after publishers submitted their options. I've heard exactly the same things elsewhere. Only chance was if the game was cross-buy and only the PS4 version would be on sale, you got the other ones in the bundle.

Being part of a promotion (A sale) is different than temporarily lowering a price (being ON sale). We aren't discussing the same thing here.

We have a developer, here on PSNP, who just said they could temporarily discount their Vita games. Being asked to participate in a sale is completely separate from discounting a product.

5 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Being part of a promotion (A sale) is different than temporarily lowering a price (being ON sale). We aren't discussing the same thing here.

We have a developer, here on PSNP, who just said they could temporarily discount their Vita games. Being asked to participate in a sale is completely separate from discounting a product.

The op question was about general sales of games.

Temporarily lowering a price isn't useful for publishers, as the total number of people that will know that is ridiculous, unless that would be widely known (unlikely except if they followed the publisher's twitter page, or facebook or a mailing list or whatever). The probable buyers would be people that have price alerts on external sites or similar, because even before they removed the PS3 and Vita stuff from the site finding something that was on sale without being on a promo list was almost impossible.

I never even thought of asking about that because thinking of it now it does seem  a very longshot to get any sales.

They also said the the reason to give PSPlus subscribers a bigger discount was just because the store would promote more the items that did them.

6 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

TL;DR version: Sony doesn't care and treats certain publishers like shit.

Sony doesn't give a shit about any publisher that doesn't have products that sell consoles. MS too.

I've also been made aware by 2 different devs that had no say in the availability in sales. 

Clearly it must be a case by case basis.

Demon Gaze 2 is on sale for PS4 but no to the Vita version.

Apart from Crossbuy sales, rarely can get a PS3/Vita game on discount.

Publishers can only permanently discount noncross games (Sometimes You 4-5 games were permanently discounted, recently Fruit Ninja was perma-reduced).

Edited by Kishnabe

On 12/5/2020 at 5:38 AM, diskdocx said:

Yeah, but no. It is Sony. I follow a few devs on Twitter that are still making Vita games. Sony won't allow them to include Vita titles in sales anymore. They can discount the PS4 game if it is part of a crossbuy, but the Vita price can't be changed unless the dev wants to permanently decrease the price. Sony hasn't updated the Vita store in months, they aren't even adding new releases and for a bit recently you couldn't even download Vita games from your library.

I remember reading this too but do you have an example of a dev or publisher saying that Sony won't let them? It's driving me crazy that I can't find one.

51 minutes ago, Chaos_Bladez said:

I remember reading this too but do you have an example of a dev or publisher saying that Sony won't let them? It's driving me crazy that I can't find one.

Ratalaika infers it here, but it isn’t an explicit confirmation

2 hours ago, BGriff1986 said:

Ratalaika infers it here, but it isn’t an explicit confirmation

Thanks! I appreciate it.

What a bad practice, Sony.

so basically, it's impossible to do ps3/vita sales and they can only permanently reduce the regular price of the games?

5 hours ago, Winterglemm said:

so basically, it's impossible to do ps3/vita sales and they can only permanently reduce the regular price of the games?

Yes. Sekai Games did it with Rabi Ribi and Root Double. The first game disappeared in EU. The other isn't available in my country. 

And now Sometimes You has done it for NA region.

12 minutes ago, ConAir said:

Yes. Sekai Games did it with Rabi Ribi and Root Double. The first game disappeared in EU. The other isn't available in my country. 

And now Sometimes You has done it for NA region.

Root Double never got a discount in the UK store. It's still at £32.99.there.

23 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Root Double never got a discount in the UK store. It's still at £32.99.there.

They stated that they did. It makes me wonder what will happen with the request from Sometimes You. 

That's very unfortunate. I grabbed the physical release, because it wasn't released in my country anyway.